Beasley Re-Sign for 4 years / $60M

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Re: Beasley Re-Sign for 4 years / $60M 

Post#181 » by minimus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:12 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:Gallinari 32yo, cant defend, injury prone. Excellent shooter for big, good passer. 61mil/3yrs
Buddy Hield 27yo, cant defend. Excellent shooter. 94mil/4yrs

I don’t think these are at all equal comps to Beasley, who hasn’t been a starter for most of his career.

Indeed, these are not equal comps to Beasley, because he got less money. Way less.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#182 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Lately, this board has been annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#183 » by Krapinsky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm

shrink wrote:Last point. I struggle to come up with Rosas motivation for this contract, and my main theory is he wanted to make Beasley happy. The other explanation I could have is that he traded the #24 to get him and Juancho, and he didn’t want that pick to be wasted.

If this is his thinking, it needs to end. Once he traded the pick, it became a sunk cost. Nothing he could do after the trade was going to get the pick back. He needed to make the best decision for the Wolves regardless of how we got to that position, even if we didn’t want to match an overpaid deal so he would take flack for giving away a pick for nothing.

I think the contract had to do with two things: (1) Beasley had other suitors in the Knicks and Bucks, and maybe Rosas was confident that Beasley could have got the same money elsewhere; and (2), I think more importantly, with the Wolves hardcapped this year (and next with Rubio Edwards), they did not have many options to add talent in free agency or via trade, so options are limited to resigning their own RFA or looking at much lesser options.

I also don't think the deal is that bad, considering the premium teams are paying for shooting, the team option for the 4th year, and the threat that Beasley could have just signed the qualifying offer and played out the year (which i think is problematic because we aren't projected to have cap space next year).

We also have to remind oursleves that we aren't the Lakers, we don't have a hall of fame coach like Popovic, we don't play in a tax friendly state, we have MN winters, and we have historically been a laughing stock of a franchise. All these factors mean that we aren't going to get discounts like the Harrel contract, and no regime that has ever been here has been able to sign free agents to cap friendly deals. It just doesn't happen when you aren't a championship contender or playing in a big market.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#184 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:Gallinari 32yo, cant defend, injury prone. Excellent shooter for big, good passer. 61mil/3yrs

I don’t think these are at all equal comps to Beasley, who hasn’t been a starter for most of his career.

And youre not giving beasley fair assessment as well. 14 games is a small sample size but we all know that he can produce. Starter or not. He will have the greenlight

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#185 » by Foye » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
Foye wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You're completely ignoring that he's a psychopath and I'm not even sure any other teams tried to sign him.
Seems to me there should be a psychopath discount.

Can't believe that people here are actually talking themselves into Beasley being a good signing.
Rosas just set an example that every thug behaviour whatsoever is acceptable within the organization and you will still get paid your dollars by the lowly Wolves.

You said you were gone long time ago? Again, theres the door

Why so annoyed? Cant read the truth?
The roster is in shambles again. No clear plan what to build and accepting thug behaviour around the organization.
1 year from now people will question how the Wolves passed on Wiseman in favour of Edwards lol.

Just ignore my posts if you dont like them.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#186 » by Baseline81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 pm

shrink wrote:It also feels to me that Rosas wants all the players that want to be here To be happy happy. I dissect Edwards was chosen over Ball to reward DLo for wanting to be here. GM’s should not go this.

You've posted this now in several threads. I will admit it may have been 'a' factor, along with other things, but it certainly was not 'the' factor you're making it sound like.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#187 » by Dewey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Beasley <> Gordon pretty close to working ... nonetheless do we need to wait a certain period before he could be traded or use the Dec 15th date?
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#188 » by old school 34 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:54 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:

Indeed, these are not equal comps to Beasley, because he got less money. Way less.
We were always going to live right up against the lux line moving forward & Rosas is comfortable there as long as his assets are movable. Thought I heard him say yesterday in the press conference...something to the effect, yeah, we're guard heavy now...but not going to check boxes just cause (my interpretation)...meaning I'll take Beasley & have too many G's on a fair deal vs. taking back a lesser pf talent...just to check a box. Do we need to move a few guys...absolutely to better balance the roster, but he's changed our roster @ break neck speeds already. He signed a bunch of guys last year & talked you thru ...how they might succeed....& then by trade deadline....most of them helped us improve our roster. Fixing what Thibs left us...takes time...& they need to hurry cause the KAT clock is real. See how this plays out a little bit, before jumping too quick. Beasley's contract looks a ton better once he's available to trade automatically cause by then the legal process should have played out & be in the past. Whether he's a starter or high end 6th man...that's the price of doing business?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#189 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Foye wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:
Foye wrote:
Can't believe that people here are actually talking themselves into Beasley being a good signing.
Rosas just set an example that every thug behaviour whatsoever is acceptable within the organization and you will still get paid your dollars by the lowly Wolves.

The roster is in shambles again. No clear plan what to build and accepting thug behaviour around the organization.
1 year from now people will question how the Wolves passed on Wiseman in favour of Edwards lol.

I think the roster is fine at best. They did a great job at the draft. Wiseman is bad. Edwards has the star potential. Yes, we need forwards. But i think they know that as well. We’ll see.

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,695

Post#190 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:Lately, this board has been annoying

Seems to be your go to post lately too But I get what you mean.

IMO we said all that needs to be said about this deal. Lets just enjoy keeping a talented shooter in our team, and let the chips fall were they may in the future.
Reddy83
Sixth Man
And1: 403

Post#191 » by Reddy83 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Foye wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:
Foye wrote:

The roster is in shambles?

The sky isn’t falling. We have great guards and an allstar center, a 6’6” 235 number one pick at wing.

My only concern is rim protection, but let’s see how the free agency goes and judge a quarter way into the season instead of raining negativity for no reason. It’s a new year of hoops!
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#192 » by Dewey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Ya a lot of negativity comes from the assumption that the FO is unaware of team needs ... what’s to say we've had the right opportunities to make a deal for a starting forward?

DLo/Rubio/McL
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell/Evans
Edwards/Culver/Martin
Juan/Layman/Vanderbilt/McDaniels
KAT/Reid /Spellman

Don’t see a spot Spellman or Evans ... McDaniels could be D-League, But some think the team will keep him on the rooster and around the team.

Power Forward specifically is a well known gap in the lineup ... teams know it ... some player at some point will seize the opportunity in free agency or we will make a move Mid-season
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,533

Post#193 » by shrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:25 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:It also feels to me that Rosas wants all the players that want to be here To be happy happy. I suspect Edwards was chosen over Ball to reward DLo for wanting to be here. GM’s should not do this.

First, whats wrong to choose Edwards, who wants to be here over Wiseman and Ball who clearly don't want? It is clear that Edwards has same level of talent and physical tools as Wiseman and Ball. Second, I wonder how far your DLo hate will lead you? In every DLo related topic you try to find negative things. It is really annoying my friend. Finally, during official rookies introduction Rosas said that Edwards showed himself head and shoulders above others.

It is disrespect when you see opinions you disagree with to label the poster as a hater. I know you’re better than that. Regarding DLo, I don’t see anyone arguing with my defensive concerns - it’s just that you don’t want to hear them. The defensive concerns are legitimate and extreme, and should affect the choices a GM and a coach need to make.

I believe Ball is more talented, and has a higher floor-ceiling combo than Edwards. But even if you think it was close, the pick should have been Wiseman, because I think he appealed the most to GSW, and even if that failed, he appealed to CHA. This was lost leverage.

Rosas said his selection was the best? What a shocker! I bet every GM said the same thing about their selection.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#194 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:It also feels to me that Rosas wants all the players that want to be here To be happy happy. I dissect Edwards was chosen over Ball to reward DLo for wanting to be here. GM’s should not go this.

First, whats wrong to choose Edwards, who wants to be here over Wiseman and Ball who clearly don't want? It is clear that Edwards has same level of talent and physical tools as Wiseman and Ball. Second, I wonder how far your DLo hate will lead you? In every DLo related topic you try to find negative things. It is really annoying my friend. Finally, during official rookies introduction Rosas said that Edwards showed himself head and shoulders above others.

What is Rosas going to say. They were all equal and I couldn't decide, but had to? Ball never gave one indication that he didn't want to be here.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#195 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:30 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:It should be pretty clear by now that the team is pushing to play small and spacing is at a premium, yet people are still crying about this deal and acting as if it's the 90's and you have to be at least 6'7'' to play SF and 6'9" to play PF. Or that positions like SF and PF even still exist.

I'm not worried about the legal issues. It's routine for Cops/Prosecutors to overcharge and overstate what someone is accused of (unless they wield power, ala Epstein) and "general direction" for pointing a firearm is a good example of that. If they had him on something serious like his kid having access to a loaded firearm then they would have charged him with that. And then there's the racial component, which you have to completely deluded to believe wasn't a factor.

He did what he did. Doesn't matter if white, black or purple. No component involved.
shrink
RealGM

Post#196 » by shrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
shrink wrote:Last point. I struggle to come up with Rosas motivation for this contract, and my main theory is he wanted to make Beasley happy. The other explanation I could have is that he traded the #24 to get him and Juancho, and he didn’t want that pick to be wasted.

If this is his thinking, it needs to end. Once he traded the pick, it became a sunk cost. Nothing he could do after the trade was going to get the pick back. He needed to make the best decision for the Wolves regardless of how we got to that position, even if we didn’t want to match an overpaid deal so he would take flack for giving away a pick for nothing.

I think the contract had to do with two things: (1) Beasley had other suitors in the Knicks and Bucks, and maybe Rosas was confident that Beasley could have got the same money elsewhere; and (2), I think more importantly, with the Wolves hardcapped this year (and next with Rubio Edwards), they did not have many options to add talent in free agency or via trade, so options are limited to resigning their own RFA or looking at much lesser options.

I also don't think the deal is that bad, considering the premium teams are paying for shooting, the team option for the 4th year, and the threat that Beasley could have just signed the qualifying offer and played out the year (which i think is problematic because we aren't projected to have cap space next year).

We also have to remind oursleves that we aren't the Lakers, we don't have a hall of fame coach like Popovic, we don't play in a tax friendly state, we have MN winters, and we have historically been a laughing stock of a franchise. All these factors mean that we aren't going to get discounts like the Harrel contract, and no regime that has ever been here has been able to sign free agents to cap friendly deals. It just doesn't happen when you aren't a championship contender or playing in a big market.

I don’t know if the Knicks were suitors, or if they were offering this much, but the Bucks have no cap space, and can’t offer more than the MLE, and as an RFA, we could match if we chose.

The Wolves aren’t hardcapped. They haven’t brought in a player for the 2021 season in a sign and trade, and they haven’t used the exceptions that trigger it ( BAE or more of the MLE than the tax-payers MLE)

If Beasley played for the QO, we would trade him, and as a $5 mil expiring, he would have decent trade value anywhere.

I agree that we aren’t a UFA site. We certainly should have done better with our RFA’s, especially one that claims to want to be here. I feel we did act like the Lakers in one regard - we were 2016 Mitch Kupchak, overpaying for borderline starters like Mozgov and Luol Deng because we were so scared we would miss out.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#197 » by shrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
shrink wrote:

And youre not giving beasley fair assessment as well. 14 games is a small sample size but we all know that he can produce. Starter or not. He will have the greenlight

Offensively. And the opposing team will produce defensively - and at a higher level, if his stats are correct.

Also, after adding Rubio and Edwards, available minutes are going to cap his offensive production. He will not be scoring 20 a game, like he did in the 14 game sample.
shrink
RealGM

Post#198 » by shrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
shrink wrote:It also feels to me that Rosas wants all the players that want to be here To be happy happy. I suspect Edwards was chosen over Ball to reward DLo for wanting to be here. GM’s should not do this.

You've posted this now in several threads. I will admit it may have been 'a' factor, along with other things, but it certainly was not 'the' factor you're making it sound like.

For the record, it’s not just me. I have heard this brought up in all three of the three national podcasts I have listened to over the last week. In fact, one host called MIN the club that most bases it’s moves on emotions, and not facts, and this has been true since the Country Club days.

Look, I’m not trying to just troll here, and it’s fine if people disagree with my opinions. I just think they are worth discussing, because others outside of our organization - people that don’t hold a fandom towards individual players - are seeing a pattern here.

I want the Wolves to do well too, just like everyone here, but I am very concerned.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#199 » by Baseline81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:41 pm

shrink wrote:But even if you think it was close, the pick should have been Wiseman, because I think he appealed the most to GSW, and even if that failed, he appealed to CHA. This was lost leverage.

And if Wiseman was the selection but neither Golden State nor Charlotte were willing to meet Minnesota's demands, what then? The team would be stuck with a player who may be nothing more than a $10M back-up center to Towns. Or are you suggesting the Wolves should have taken the best offer no matter how little?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#200 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 pm

Reddy83 wrote:
Foye wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:You said you were gone long time ago? Again, theres the door

The roster is in shambles?

The sky isn’t falling. We have great guards and an allstar center, a 6’6” 235 number one pick at wing.

My only concern is rim protection, but let’s see how the free agency goes and judge a quarter way into the season instead of raining negativity for no reason. It’s a new year of hoops!

he keeps getting bigger post after post. He might be 7' by the time the season starts.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves