edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Re: Delon Wright, Ariza gone 

Post#41 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:55 pm

TPA wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Hayes is looking at the Khyri Thomas treatment unless Rose gets moved. This is clear as day.

I suppose Casey could play Hayes next to Rose in the backcourt (since we have no real shooting guards), but I’m not holding my breath that Hayes sees the floor much this year, which is obviously absurd for a trash can of a team.

Last year, after dumping Drummond, Jackson, Morris... Casey played Knight, Henson, McRae starter minutes, with Galloway.

He did not play Khyri, King, Hall unless he had too, because those guys were hurt, or too tired. Mostly just Hall because Thon was awful.

Hayes, Stewart, Bey, Sekou arent seeing any minutes. Maybe 30 total minutes a game, between them, if we're lucky.

Casey loves DRose, so thats a lock. Wright played with Casey in Toronto, thats a lock. Hayes is not playing unless they get hurt.

Grant and Griffin, thats all the PF minutes. No Sekou.

Bey is 6'8", but doesnt have the lateral speed for quick SF. He is a true tweener in the NBA. But Casey will play anyone in front of a rookie, so Svi probably plays here.

Plumlee has "veteran grit" so hes starting. Stewart maybe sees some minutes?

What dumb moves for the Pistons. They are trying to win as many games as possible. :banghead:

A starting roster of players that you predicted WILL NOT BE winning many games at all...

Yeah I agree with you, but they are trying to win. If they dont win, thats not the point. They are trying to win and Casey will play the vets big minutes unless they get hurt (Blake/DRose). I mean he did that to DRose twice last year, playing him big minutes until he got hurt. Even though Blake was already hurt the and the season was over.

Whether Casey or Gores like it or not: Sekou, Hayes, Bey and Stewart are the future. Weaver just gave Casey the excuse not to play any young guys.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#42 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Snakebites wrote:We've acquired a net of 4 centers in 3 days- Stewart, Okafor, Plumlee, and Bradley.

Even if other good moves are made later, there's no context where I ever say to myself "you know, it looked a little weird there for a while, but looking back using the 16th pick on a center then signing or trading for 3 marginal centers who will shave off his minutes was definitely the right call".

We've also got close to 60 million tied up in power forwards now and are nowhere close to elite at that position.

There's no putting a bow on either of those things.

Don’t forget trading for Dedmon only to stretch him. Why not keep Snell?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#43 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:We've acquired a net of 4 centers in 3 days- Stewart, Okafor, Plumlee, and Bradley.

Even if other good moves are made later, there's no context where I ever say to myself "you know, it looked a little weird there for a while, but looking back using the 16th pick on a center then signing or trading for 3 marginal centers who will shave off his minutes was definitely the right call".

We've also got close to 60 million tied up in power forwards now and are nowhere close to elite at that position.

Snell was a straight expiring. Dedmon was a 2 year deal with only a small amount guaranteed in the next year. This allowed us to stretch the remaining money guaranteed on his deal over a longer period of time. This resulted in greater short term cap relief than stretching Snell would have given us, which allowed us to make these signings.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#44 » by SamFlow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:

Snell was a straight expiring. Dedmon was a 2 year deal with only a small amount guaranteed in the next year. This allowed us to stretch the remaining money guaranteed on his deal over a longer period of time. This resulted in greater short term cap relief than stretching Snell would have given us, which allowed us to make these signings.

Funny that people complaining don't really have any clue on how the cba works. To be honest, I had the same question. stretch for longer and better cap utilization now.

I'm still excited. I'm not down on the team at all.

Hayes, Svi, Grant, Blake, Plumlee
Rose, Jackson, Sekou, Stewart, Okafor

I imagine something like this. Svi and Jackson could swap.
Still excited to see what is coming next.
BigDaddyJungle
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#45 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Upon sleeping on it, I hate the Plumlee signing the most. At least Grant is a good player. An overpay, sure, but at least he's good.

Plumlee? You can get a center of that caliber for so much less, no idea who else was giving him that deal. There's no way to rationalize it.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#46 » by BDM22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Snakebites wrote:Upon sleeping on it, I hate the Plumlee signing the most. At least Grant is a good player. An overpay, sure, but at least he's good.

Plumlee? You can get a center of that caliber for so much less, no idea who else was giving him that deal. There's no way to rationalize it.

there are so many hilariously bad angles to it.

We traded into a 1st round pick to draft a Center and then bury him.
We had to make weird trades just to open cap space.
We outbid ourselves into a big overpay.
We had to stretch MULTIPLE contracts, so he actually costs our cap closer to 12M for 3 years and a few million after that.
One of the players we stretched/waived (Dedmon) was arguably a better player and on a shorter contract than Plumlee.
We also acquired about 16 other random centers at the same exact time.

I really can't recall a move that has confused me this much. Did Weaver owe Plumlee's agent a huge favor or something?
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#47 » by flow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Snakebites wrote:Upon sleeping on it, I hate the Plumlee signing the most. At least Grant is a good player. An overpay, sure, but at least he's good.

While I value Plumlee more than you do, there's no getting around the bold. No one was giving Plumlee that deal...I wouldn't think. (and even if they were, we weren't in a position to give it). But I now see that just 3 years ago, Denver signed him for twice as much. 3 yrs, $41 mil. He was worth what the Pistons just signed him for at that time, based as his performance as a starter with Portland. But Denver gave him $41 mil to play half the minutes, if that.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,423

Post#48 » by oldncreaky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Kilo wrote:Wright was needed given we were threadbare in the back court should Rose have gone down (and you know he will). You don't want Hayes starting and playing starter minutes potentially right off the bat. Wright played for Casey before and has started in the league.

This will potentially allow Detroit to trade Rose at the TDL. This doesn't block Hayes. This past draft didn't have the franchise caliber players you could start on day one. Hayes is a Euro rookie who played in a lesser league and will need time to get used to the athleticism of the NBA.

I think Delon is one acquisition that Pistons fans will like -- especially if it allows trading DRose for assets.

I've watched a lot of Raptor games the last 5 years, and Delon was a fan favourite and nice bench contributor. If he stays, he will definitely be in any 8 man rotation. He has his shortcomings, particularly inconsistent shooting, but positives include:
- good defence (even when offense falters)
- unselfish
- can play PG, SG and SF on both ends of the floor
- secondary creator, fairly smart with the ball, good enough for a backup point, but can also play off the ball
- contract is fair and expires in 2 years
- unlikely to be so good that we make the playoffs and miss the lottery
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#49 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:33 pm

I disagree on Grant being a good player. I’m not sure if he is a starting power forward on championship type team. We just paid him like one. I don’t see how that works.

Plumlee is a fireable offense in my eyes.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#50 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:49 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:

I disagree on Grant being a good player. I’m not sure if he is a starting power forward on championship type team. We just paid him like one. I don’t see how that works.

Plumlee is a fireable offense in my eyes.

Grant is solid he could play a Tayshaun Prince type role in a starting lineup with 4 other all-stars and be a starter on a championship team we just need prime Billups/Rip/Sheed/Ben
rpancestral
Ballboy
And1: 92

Post#51 » by rpancestral » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:22 pm

pistonpat wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pick is probably from Detroit

You know it is. Every GM is taking advantage of Weaver while they can.

Yes. We give a pick

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30356782/trevor-ariza-oklahoma-city-thunder-3-team-trade-detroit-pistons-dallas-mavericks
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#52 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 pm

rpancestral wrote:
pistonpat wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Yes. We give a pick

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30356782/trevor-ariza-oklahoma-city-thunder-3-team-trade-detroit-pistons-dallas-mavericks

SMH, at this point all you can really do is laugh about it.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#53 » by BJK1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:26 pm

rpancestral wrote:
pistonpat wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Yes. We give a pick

:banghead:
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#54 » by Canadafan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:37 pm

Sooooo the Wood 3-way is done....um....is anything else sneakily going on with trades or sign and trades or are we just about done? The Grant and Plumlee deals are just straight up signings?
Dont make me grab another king can pistons fans!
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#55 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:43 pm

We're throwing future picks away like crazy. Just wait until it ends up being a first rounder to trade Ariza for Delon Wright and Weaver would still have people here singing his praise.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#56 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:44 pm

bstein14 wrote:We're throwing future picks away like crazy. Just wait until it ends up being a first rounder to trade Ariza for Delon Wright and Weaver would still have people here singing his praise.

It would have been disclosed if it was a first rounder.

Besides given the protections on the pick we went to Houston for 16, we can't deal a first rounder for a while, even though we may well not ever end up owing one.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#57 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Snakebites wrote:
bstein14 wrote:We're throwing future picks away like crazy. Just wait until it ends up being a first rounder to trade Ariza for Delon Wright and Weaver would still have people here singing his praise.

Besides given the protections on the pick we went to Houston for 16, we can't deal a first rounder for a while, even though we may well not ever end up owing one.

Detroit doesn't have any 2nd rounders until 2027 either. So if it is indeed a 2nd rounder, it probably has to be one coming in on of the other moves that we haven't heard about yet.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#58 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Detroit doesn't have any 2nd rounders until 2027 either. So if it is indeed a 2nd rounder, it probably has to be one coming in on of the other moves that we haven't heard about yet.

We did get one in the Wood sign and trade.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#59 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Snakebites wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:It would have been disclosed if it was a first rounder.

We did get one in the Wood sign and trade.

Ahh, you're right. I forgot about that one.

In which case, that is likely the "undisclosed pick" Detroit is sending.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,692

Post#60 » by zeebneeb » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:33 pm

If this team wins more then 25 games, with the draft, of drafts coming up next year, everyone needs to be fired. I want a top 3 pick next year, period.

Return to Detroit Pistons