Nuggets - Potential FA Signing

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets - Potential FA Signing 

Post#121 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 pm

THE J0KER wrote:The latest reports are that Gordon Hayward's price is in the 20-25M per season range, despite declines 35M expiring salary. Should we trade Harris and Barton for cap space and assets, and gamble on Hayward as SG starter with some roles on the forward spot during games?

So then we have no proven depth at SG/SF behind Hayward and MPJ, 2 injury prone guys, while also not having any proven depth at PF?

Hayward wants to be a top 2 option on a team, he isn't coming here.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#122 » by THE J0KER » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm

The Rebel wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:The latest reports are that Gordon Hayward's price is in the 20-25M per season range, despite declines 35M expiring salary. Should we trade Harris and Barton for cap space and assets, and gamble on Hayward as SG starter with some roles on the forward spot during games?

So then we have no proven depth at SG/SF behind Hayward and MPJ, 2 injury prone guys, while also not having any proven depth at PF?

Hayward wants to be a top 2 option on a team, he isn't coming here.

Nope... we didn't sign Hayward for the same reason we didn't sign Grant: the front office of some desperate lottery team decided to overpay him 5+ million more per year than his today's current realistic price is :dontknow: :dontknow:
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#123 » by Manolito » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

Do we still have BAE available? Campazzo + Green is more than MLE
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#124 » by DaFan334 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Manolito wrote:Do we still have BAE available? Campazzo + Green is more than MLE

Where are you getting Campazzo's salary from? I haven't seen it actually reported anywhere.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#125 » by Manolito » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:23 pm

In Spain (where I am from) are mentioning it is 10Mx2 deal. Very good deal, Campazzo is a good player
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#126 » by skywalker33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:47 pm

Manolito wrote:In Spain (where I am from) are mentioning it is 10Mx2 deal. Very good deal, Campazzo is a good player

I can't say that's a good deal for an unproven NBA player, you may like it but I'll reserve judgment until I see him play. Hopefully he'll justify trading Morris for a decent draft pick. Even more hopeful that ISN'T his contract price.

For that price we could just resign Morris, a known commodity !! The more I think about it, seems like a move Connelly made to make himself look smarter than other GMs, hope it works :banghead: :banghead:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#127 » by psimanic1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:02 pm

We are bringing some Greg Whittington from Galatasaray on 2 way instead of Craig
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Nuggets are looking for a mobile big man to help replace Plumlee, I know others were higher on Willie cauley stein earlier, but after looking at his defensive advanced and tracking stats, he may not be the worst big to sign. He is a very good defender, and we all know he has a lot more talent than he has ever used, maybe a year with our young guys will bring out something in him. Plus he always defends Jokic well, so I would prefer to keep him away from the Lakers.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:28 pm

psimanic1 wrote:We are bringing some Greg Whittington from Galatasaray on 2 way instead of Craig

Looking him up real quick it looks like he is a combo forward with good rebounding and a great outside shot. Connelly found Craig, and with Craig starting to decline athletically I am thrilled with taking a chance on this guy and moving Bol up.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/greg-whittington-1.html
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#130 » by psimanic1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:30 pm

The Rebel wrote:Nuggets are looking for a mobile big man to help replace Plumlee, I know others were higher on Willie cauley stein earlier, but after looking at his defensive advanced and tracking stats, he may not be the worst big to sign. He is a very good defender, and we all know he has a lot more talent than he has ever used, maybe a year with our young guys will bring out something in him. Plus he always defends Jokic well, so I would prefer to keep him away from the Lakers.

Are we? With Greg on 2 way, Bol Bol has to sign full contract and that puts us at
Murray, Morris, PJ
Harris, Faco, RJ
MPJ, Barton, KBD
Millsap, Green, Cancar
Jokic, Bol Bol, Nnaji
And thats like 15 full time contracts, with Marcus and Greg 2 way.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:45 pm

psimanic1 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Nuggets are looking for a mobile big man to help replace Plumlee, I know others were higher on Willie cauley stein earlier, but after looking at his defensive advanced and tracking stats, he may not be the worst big to sign. He is a very good defender, and we all know he has a lot more talent than he has ever used, maybe a year with our young guys will bring out something in him. Plus he always defends Jokic well, so I would prefer to keep him away from the Lakers.

Are we? With Greg on 2 way, Bol Bol has to sign full contract and that puts us at
Murray, Morris, PJ
Harris, Faco, RJ
MPJ, Barton, KBD
Millsap, Green, Cancar
Jokic, Bol Bol, Nnaji
And thats like 15 full time contracts, with Marcus and Greg 2 way.

Singer is reporting that we are cutting KBD before he is guaranteed.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#132 » by THE J0KER » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 am

I hoped we will sign Nerlens Noel as our "cheap but useful" backup center, but he signs a $5M deal with the Knicks.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#133 » by Mac1958 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:13 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Manolito wrote:In Spain (where I am from) are mentioning it is 10Mx2 deal. Very good deal, Campazzo is a good player

I can't say that's a good deal for an unproven NBA player, you may like it but I'll reserve judgment until I see him play. Hopefully he'll justify trading Morris for a decent draft pick. Even more hopeful that ISN'T his contract price.

For that price we could just resign Morris, a known commodity !! The more I think about it, seems like a move Connelly made to make himself look smarter than other GMs, hope it works :banghead: :banghead:

Yeah, I've been thrilled with Morris as the backup PG. I wonder if Connelly expects to lose him as a free agent when his deal is up.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#134 » by TunaFish » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

That was me pushing for Stein and he is still an option. I really hoped we would look at Gasol but it looks like that ship may have sailed.

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by The Rebel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm

TunaFish wrote:

That was me pushing for Stein and he is still an option. I really hoped we would look at Gasol but it looks like that ship may have sailed.

Read on Twitter

I would like Gasol, but from the reports I read yesterday they want a backup Center who is more mobile, I am guessing to guard guys like Davis when Jokic and Millsap are off the court.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by The Rebel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Too bad, I had hoped we could pick him up.
skywalker33

Post#137 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:51 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

Too bad, I had hoped we could pick him up.

And unfortunately, the Blazers are having quite a good off-season IMO

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#138 » by DaFan334 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:46 pm

I've seen this Isaiah Hartenstein from Houston keep popping up in rumors... I really hope we don't go that route. We need a somewhat proving commodity IMO.
skywalker33

Post#139 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm

DaFan334 wrote:I've seen this Isaiah Hartenstein from Houston keep popping up in rumors... I really hope we don't go that route. We need a somewhat proving commodity IMO.

I’m not against, he had a few good games in HOU but we need some defense and toughness, neither seem to be his forte.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by The Rebel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:13 am

While I know many are disappointed, I am actually okay with our offseason so far, it fits perfectly with what the front office has been good at. I remember when we traded Afflalo for Barton and a pick, and a lot of people were pissed, but the end of the season I think most of us were happy with the results.

I am not the least big upset to see Craig or Plumlee go, if you are go read through old game threads to remind you of why you shouldn't be upset. Grant was the perfect fit skill wise, but he is not worth $20 million per and I hate to say it, but for the role needed we got an upgrade in Green.

The interesting thing about Green is that he is a better big man defender and almost as good at shooting spot up 3s as Grant, but Green is a guy who likes to play physical and rough, which we have needed for seemingly decades. He is also a guy who came into the league as a physically gifted project who developed into a good role player despite injuries taking a lot of those physical gifts.

This team has a history of finding young and unproven talent, we have done it since Ujiri was here, than the unproven talent battles for the bench minutes and the talent rises to the top. With the guys who get minutes working their ass off to keep their job. We drafted Jokic and Nurkic when we had Mozgov and a young Joffrey Lauvergne. We drafted Mudiay with Lawson on the roster, than drafted Murray with Mudiay and Nelson on the roster. Harris was drafted while we had Fournier and Foye. I look at what the team has done over the last week and all I can say is that we have loaded up on unproven talent.

Murray/ Morris/ Compazzo/ Howard
Harris/ Dozier/ Hampton
MPJ/BArton/Cancar/ Whittington
Millsap/Green/ Bol
Jokic/ Hartenstein/ Nnaji

Murray, Morris, and Harris are likely going to get at least 75 minutes at guard, the question is who will get the other 23 minutes? Compazzo looks good, Dozier was great in limited minutes during the playoffs, Barton of course can get some of those minutes, and Hampton and Howard do not look ready for minutes yet. There is some big competition for limited minutes, and a lot of unproven talent to compete for those minutes. I am thrilled as each guy brings something different, so I am sure we will find someone to take those limited minutes.

At forward you have MPJ, Barton, and Millsap likely to get more minutes every night, but do the rest of those minutes go to Green, Cancar, or Bol? Worst case it is Green, and we know he can bring exactly what we need at PF, but what if Bol or Cancar take those minutes? None of us are upset by that I don't think.

While Green is undersized he can also be the primary backup Center when we go small, so if Bol, Hartenstein, or Nnaji do not take those minutes that we have a suitable big that can.

Our 2 way deals I think are great. I was reminded yesterday how Morris and Craig were our 1st two way guys and how we drafted MOrris knowing he had to fix his shot and brought in Craig hoping he could be a defender. Now we got Whittington and Howard, who both have a chance to be long term contributors when developed.

Whittington was a Georgetown recruit that had injury and academic issues, and still had some predraft workouts. He is a good shooter, great rebounder, and from what I read an above average defender. He has the chance to be a great fit at SF behind MPJ, as you still get the shooting and rebounding that we will be depending on from MPJ. I doubt he gets a lot of minutes this year, but in case of injury or for next year he is the perfect fit at backup SF.

If the new guys are better than expected than you can always trade Barton, Morris, Cancar, and even Harris and get picks or upgrades where needed down the line. While I am not going to pretend I did not want to see a better backup C, or a trade for Beal, for what we needed going into this offseason and the limited cap room, I am excited to see what this team can do next season.

Return to Denver Nuggets