ImageImageImage

Beasley Re-Sign for 4 years / $60M

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Re: Beasley Re-Sign for 4 years / $60M 

Post#221 » by Battletrigger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Man, some of the users are smoking the same **** as Beasley.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#222 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Worm Guts wrote:The big issue for me is the glut at guard. We’re paying him starter money, which means we expect to play him starter minutes. That probably means a lot of Edwards at the 3.

I hope it does mean Edwards at the three. It's not like they have any stronger candidates to play up. Ideal or not I don't know. But we all know basketball games aren't stringly hockey lines and Edwards still probably find minutes at the 2 as well.

I am of the belief that the more starts and minutes Beasley gets the more he will produce at his highest levels for this team so I hope they money for once does it's job for a good reason this time and keeps him off the bench roles he was stuck in for Denver.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#223 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Battletrigger wrote:Man, some of the users are smoking the same **** as Beasley.

Don't pull punches man. We all have usernames. Point out the user and issue and let's get to it.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#224 » by minimus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#225 » by Calinks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Battletrigger wrote:Man, some of the users are smoking the same **** as Beasley.

Don't pull punches man. We all have usernames. Point out the user and issue and let's get to it.

How about we don't. Let's stick to talking about the Timberwolves and not going after each other's necks. We aren't here to get personal, we are here to share our thoughts about the team we love and have civil arguments if they arise. Keep it civil and constructive folks.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#226 » by shrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:12 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
shrink wrote:I feel we did act like the Lakers in one regard - we were 2016 Mitch Kupchak, overpaying for borderline starters like Mozgov and Luol Deng because we were so scared we would miss out.

Now you’re comparing the Beasley signing to Mozgov and Deng’s???????? You need to take a breathe and walk away from the board for 24 hours.

Which part is untrue?

We didn’t overpay? Ironically, Deng and Mozgov got 4-year, $17 mil (2016 dollars) per deals, I think. I guess Malik is $15 with team option.

Beasley isn’t a borderline starter? Deng and Mozgov had starter roles waiting. Does Beasley? Is that the 3-year plan?

We weren’t afraid we would miss out? You guys just said we aren’t the Lakers so we have to lower our expectations.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#227 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 pm

shrink wrote:MIN had a ton of leverage on Beasley.

So what? Is this how you would treat people that do work for you?
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#228 » by PharmD » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:18 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
PharmD wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:Im just happy we signed him and are keeping him for now. Was afraid we would dump him, or lowball him and he accepts qualifying, and later on bolts.

His QO was like 3M. He couldn't turn down any long-term offer basically. I just can't imagine anyone was going to give him more than the MLE.
If there was a chance he was taking the MLE he wouldn't have left Denver. Its that simple. Turned down 10m 3 year deal with them it seems. If we want to keep him, which we should want to, we pay him what it takes to stay.

That's not how restricted free agency works. You let him go sign on the open market, then match the offer (or don't). Only the Hawks, Pistons, Knicks, Kings, Pelicans, Hornets, and Heat had $15M available at the start of free agency and most of those teams had already signed people and thus didn't have that money available to sign Beasely to an offer sheet any more. If he didn't get an offer from one of those teams he was signing a smaller offer, most likely the MLE. We bid against ourselves.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#229 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 pm

shrink wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:
shrink wrote:I feel we did act like the Lakers in one regard - we were 2016 Mitch Kupchak, overpaying for borderline starters like Mozgov and Luol Deng because we were so scared we would miss out.

Now you’re comparing the Beasley signing to Mozgov and Deng’s???????? You need to take a breathe and walk away from the board for 24 hours.

Which part is untrue?

We didn’t overpay?
Beasley isn’t a borderline starter? Will he start here over the course of his contract?
We weren’t afraid we would miss out? You guys just said we aren’t the Lakers so we have to lower our expectations.

Everything?

Did not overpay.

I'm sure you won't do it, but as an exercise for your own mental health you could type out all the recent contracts this FA to help reassure yourself and start to feel better.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#230 » by shrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:39 pm

minimus wrote:the problems with this approach is that you keep in microscope one problem, while ALL positive things kind of slip from view.

Well, that’s just an untrue accusation. In fact, I just wrote this:

shrink wrote:When you acquire DLo, you get above-average shooting and great passing.. But you still have constrained yourself with a different max deal. You have filled one of the most easily-filled positions. You have locked in a poor defender, who doesn’t really have the athleticism to get much better. I’ll take that over Wiggins, but you see how our pathways were severely narrowed.

So It’s untrue to say that the positive things slip from view.

It’s also untrue to say there is only one problem with DLo.

Perhaps YOU need to be realistic. What’s the opposite of calling someone a hater? Blind homer maybe?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#231 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Calinks wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

How about we don't. Let's stick to talking about the Timberwolves and not going after each other's necks. We aren't here to get personal, we are here to share our thoughts about the team we love and have civil arguments if they arise. Keep it civil and constructive folks.

Well, that was supposed to be my point. Maybe I said it poorly. i agree. But random swings at multiples with no direction like that fit the personal end and don't get to the bottom of discussing what was posted about an issue.
minimus
RealGM

Post#232 » by minimus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:the problems with this approach is that you keep in microscope one problem, while ALL positive things kind of slip from view.

shrink wrote:When you acquire DLo, you get above-average shooting and great passing.. But you still have constrained yourself with a different max deal. You have filled one of the most easily-filled positions. You have locked in a poor defender, who doesn’t really have the athleticism to get much better. I’ll take that over Wiggins, but you see how our pathways were severely narrowed.

Perhaps YOU need to be realistic. What’s the opposite of calling someone a hater? Blind homer maybe?

Let's stop it here. Don't get offensive, shrink
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#233 » by PharmD » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:53 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If it is ascending like that with the biggest year being the TO year (and the smallest being right now when we need a PF) then that's very good.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#234 » by younggunsmn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 pm

If there is one thing that really bothers me on this site it's when posters (and often mods) starting bagging on other posters for negativity.

I get that people have an innate dislike for negativity, but when you start lashing out about it, you are only creating a feedback loop that creates more and more. This is internet etiquette 101. Let people say their piece.
2 words that are toxic: homer and hater.

We're entitled to look at the bright side of things, but we're also entitled to point out things we would have done differently and things that we think are mistakes and our level of faith in players, coaches and executives. Both points of view are valid.
The world doesn't function without both hope and criticism.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#235 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:

Let's stop it here. Don't get offensive, shrink

He didn't call you a lap dog. :lol:
Sorry I couldn't resist.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#236 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm

shrink wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:

Which part is untrue?

We didn’t overpay? Ironically, Deng and Mozgov got 4-year, $17 mil (2016 dollars) per deals, I think. I guess Malik is $15 with team option.

Beasley isn’t a borderline starter? Deng and Mozgov had starter roles waiting. Does Beasley? Is that the 3-year plan?

If you’re going to try and tell me that Mozgov and Deng had the same skills and upside as Beasley at the time of their signings then we can stop right here.

Beasley is CHEAPER and has a TO for his 4th year. You don’t like the signing...I get it, but your comparisons and explanations are beyond ridiculous regarding this matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#237 » by Dual » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 pm

PharmD wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If it is ascending like that with the biggest year being the TO year (and the smallest being right now when we need a PF) then that's very good.

Is well thought, but right now all top pfs already signed, except Thompson(and we all know his history with Kat's gf).
Nonetheless that will help in a trade too I guess.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#238 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:04 pm

My final thought on the matter is I'm flabbergasted that we made a very large contract with a player that is currently facing serious legal problems.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#239 » by PharmD » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Dual wrote:
PharmD wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Is well thought, but right now all top pfs already signed, except Thompson(and we all know his history with Kat's gf).

We could never afford a top PF, but we're dangerously close to not being able to afford ANY PF.
minimus
RealGM

Post#240 » by minimus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Dual wrote:Is well thought, but right now all top pfs already signed, except Thompson(and we all know his history with Kat's gf).

Look at new signed deals, even Millsap signed for more than MLE, others guys wanted to play for winning teams. We had no chance in any case. That's what many fans are missing: FAs won't sign contract in MIN if they have similar offer from let sat MIA

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves