ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Fred VanVleet has agreed to a four-year, $85M deal to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Re: Shams: Fred VanVleet has agreed to a four-year, $85M deal to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors 

Post#201 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:49 pm

JN wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:I think he’s a replaceable player, and at that price tag I need a true solidified starter and he’s really not that. He’s still inefficient, and given his size, I don’t see that ceiling getting any higher.

He also gets exposed every time in the playoffs and his hero ball nonsense was unbearable during the Celtics series.

He needs to step up big time, I’m just not a fan of FVV but Terrence Davis blew any chance he had of taking his role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His has a .553 TS%. That's not really inefficient.
Could it be better. Sure. But it's better than Jrue Holiday for example.

41 percent career shooter. And given his size, that's pretty much the ceiling. Also, inefficiency goes beyond shooting. Please enlighten me how efficient he is in running the offence when he ends up over dribbling and looking off players just to settle for his hero ball long 3?

Yeah dude, you're right. you totally got me.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Re: Shams: Fred VanVleet has agreed to a four-year, $85M deal to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors 

Post#202 » by Ramed Nazored » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm

DonDoolie wrote:
realball wrote:
DonDoolie wrote:

So because another team overpaid a role player the raptors should do the same? What kind of backwards BS logic are you using ? I swear some of you don't even think before posting.

Wtf are you talking about, Fred dropped 18/7 this year. How many role-players do you know dropping 18 ppg? Even Lowry doesn't score that much. He was our second-best player in the playoffs. Read the room, we're all pretty happy with the deal. GTFO here and cry somewhere else.

THAT is your justification for his terrible deal? He scored 18ppg? Lmfao. Oh and if you watched any damn basketball in your life you would know there were plenty of role players that got 18ppg before. Yah read the room its a bunch of homers. I'll keep this thread saved just so I can laugh in the future.

Peace.

What's wrong with you dude?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,920

Post#203 » by JN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
JN wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:I think he’s a replaceable player, and at that price tag I need a true solidified starter and he’s really not that. He’s still inefficient, and given his size, I don’t see that ceiling getting any higher.

He also gets exposed every time in the playoffs and his hero ball nonsense was unbearable during the Celtics series.

He needs to step up big time, I’m just not a fan of FVV but Terrence Davis blew any chance he had of taking his role.

41 percent career shooter. And given his size, that's pretty much the ceiling. Also, inefficiency goes beyond shooting. Please enlighten me how efficient he is in running the offence when he ends up over dribbling and looking off players just to settle for his hero ball long 3?

So you are still using FG% to evaluate efficient shooting. Are you stuck in the 1990's?
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#204 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 pm

Remember when MU was overrated because he was going to pay 25 million a yr??
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#205 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 pm

JN wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:
JN wrote:

So you are still using FG% to evaluate efficient shooting. Are you stuck in the 1990's?

I wish my friend :(
Thank you Clutch0z24
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,920

Post#207 » by JN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
JN wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

I wish my friend :(

Then we might agree on that.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#208 » by pingpongrac » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:07 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:

I know it was over a year ago now, but do you not recall the Raptors winning a title, and Mr. Vanvleet contributing to that achievement in a major way?

I know it was over a year ago, but please don't neglect the awful playoff series he had against Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and even Orlando to fit your narrative. You're right man, he really contributed in a major way behind the GOAT play of Kawhi and all star performances of Pascal and Lowry (on defense espeically). FVV weaknesses are hidden behind these type of talents, and with the way he's getting paid, he can't hide no more.

Did you forget FVV putting the cape on and dribbling around and not giving out a single pass on the final possession of game 7 against Boston? of course you don't, you want to fit behind your delusional narratives.

He put the cape on and played hero ball, but fans like you overlook this because he dishes out some compliments regarding the city. And that's all that's needed with insecure fans like yourself.

You're misremembering things a bit. He was mediocre against the Magic (7 PTS/4 AST on 49 TS%) then awful against the Sixers, but he was incredible after G3 against the Bucks. We 100% lose G5 if he doesn't hit 7 threes and his 14 PTS on 6 FGA in G6 were almost just as big. Obviously his Q4 scoring outburst against the Warriors in G6 was key to winning it all too.

He struggled to score efficiently against Boston this year, but so did everyone else but Ibaka (12 PTS on 67 TS%), OG (11 PTS on 60 TS%) and Lowry (20 PTS on 55 TS%). The final play in the Celtics series was incredibly frustrating, no doubt. That's just as much on Nurse for not calling a timeout though when there was absolutely nothing happening.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#209 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 pm

Fred Van Vleet is one of the streakiest mofos I have ever seen. That can be highly frustrating. It can also win you a title, and that's good enough for me.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,007

Post#210 » by raptor jesus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:15 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Saw him play all 4 years in college because he was always showing out in huge games in March. When the Raps signed him initially, I was pretty confident he was an NBA player, although I didn't think he'd be this good. I remember ppl jumping down my throat in the summer league thread for just suggesting that he'll make the team.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#211 » by beanbag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:47 pm

DonDoolie wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
DonDoolie wrote:
There were 52 people in the league that scored more than fred ppg wise just last year. Now let's look at role players

Wiggins
Schroeder
Lou Williams
Collin sexton
Dinwiddie
Bojan bogdanovic
Warren
Tobias Harris
Julius Randle
Gallo
Fournier
Graham
Rose
Rozier

Lmfao

Keep being a homer i can list more. Fred is a product of the system plug any pg in his role and they would do well on the raptors
And how many of those guys are top defenders at their positions

Yah im sure none if it is due to him being on one of the best defensive teams in the league right? :banghead:

Anyways we will see and time will tell. Book marked this thread for future reference. Have a good day sir

Hi mirrornick. Ankle bracelet off yet?
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#212 » by vulture » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:07 am

This is a good deal for both sides. Fred is worth it and he will only get better from here imo. Having a good defender at the point of attack is important in nurses system
Airball Salmons
Rookie
And1: 765

Post#213 » by Airball Salmons » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 am

Gotta keep that core of FVV/Siakam/OG in place for the next future run. This deal also shows the next gen guys that if they come through the system, they’ll get paid well.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#214 » by will » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 am

Fredderick Edmund VanVleet Senior.

Please say the goddamn Senior!
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,067

Post#215 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:40 am

Airball Salmons wrote:Gotta keep that core of FVV/Siakam/OG in place for the next future run. This deal also shows the next gen guys that if they come through the system, they’ll get paid well.

10 years from now, when he's struggling in poverty, TDII will see Fred playing an NBA game and think "Man, did I screw up or what?". Or maybe he'll just blame the woman for being a mouth b****,
TheWave
Rookie
And1: 789

Post#216 » by TheWave » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:31 am

76m would have been better but it's a lot better than the 25 people were talking about.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#217 » by Kurtz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:35 am

Steelo Green wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:TJ Warren, Dennis Schroeder, and Tobias Harris don’t play D?

TJ Warren is alright
Dennis is alright on defense
No tobias doesn't play avg defense

FVV is better than all of those guys on defense and the best shooter of all those guys too

lol

Warren is the better player pretty easily, Schroeder is actually very good on D and an underrated player in general, just doesn't ply for the Raptors to talk about it.

You said none of them play D, so yeah, no.

Lol. Another terrible take. Toby is terrible on D- did you miss the Raps vs Philly series last year? He's one of the worst in the league at it. Dennis sucked on D all of his career - was ok last season, but not in Fred's realm. Warren was a complete zero defensively in Phoenix, but he did start playing defense when he got to Indiana. He doesn't have nearly the impact there that Fred does.

You should start watching some ball, man.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#218 » by Steelo Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Kurtz wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
TJ Warren is alright
Dennis is alright on defense
No tobias doesn't play avg defense

FVV is better than all of those guys on defense and the best shooter of all those guys too

lol

Warren is the better player pretty easily, Schroeder is actually very good on D and an underrated player in general, just doesn't ply for the Raptors to talk about it.

Lol. Another terrible take. Toby is terrible on D- did you miss the Raps vs Philly series last year? He's one of the worst in the league at it. Dennis sucked on D all of his career - was ok last season, but not in Fred's realm. Warren was a complete zero defensively in Phoenix, but he did start playing defense when he got to Indiana. He doesn't have nearly the impact there that Fred does.

Right so just because you say it it makes it true.

Again - on a mediocre team, Schroeder had a better defensive net rating than Fred. What does last year have to do with anything? Last year is completely irrelevant. Just like Fred’s last year.

Same with Warren.

Or do you have different sets of standards for our guys versus others.

Fred’s a Pg limited defender which isn’t a premier need in the league for defense - it’s the wing and bigs who are more important.

This person A clearly doesn’t watch because their views are different than mine is always a rich take, especially when in the end you agreed with me.

And again the point had to do with people on that list not defending at all. People keep trying to have this hands up in the air and personally attack people because they disagree and then agree begrudgingly lol. It’s funny this pseudo hubris.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,782

Post#219 » by RoyceDa59 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:25 am

Great deal for both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Go Raps!!
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#220 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:26 am

Steelo Green wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:lol

Right so just because you say it it makes it true.

Again - on a mediocre team, Schroeder had a better defensive net rating than Fred. What does last year have to do with anything? Last year is completely irrelevant. Just like Fred’s last year.

Same with Warren.

Or do you have different sets of standards for our guys versus others.

Fred’s a Pg limited defender which isn’t a premier need in the league for defense - it’s the wing and bigs who are more important.

This person A clearly doesn’t watch because their views are different than mine is always a rich take, especially when in the end you agreed with me.

And again the point had to do with people on that list not defending at all. People keep trying to have this hands up in the air and personally attack people because they disagree and then agree begrudgingly lol. It’s funny this pseudo hubris.

Link?
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.

Return to Toronto Raptors