Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Re: Suns sign Jae Crowder to 3 year, $30 million deal 

Post#21 » by NTB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
NTB wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Cam should start over Crowder.

I think so too but I also think he won't.

Why not after the bubble? Why mess with it?

I hope Monty will test both of them and then decide which version of starting 5 to continue with.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,053

Post#22 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 pm

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Post#23 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:53 pm

sunsbg wrote:Cam is still inexperienced, injuries also being a concern in the past, so not sure how ready he is to play a full season as a starter. Crowder's toughness will certainly be useful against bigger lineups. Saric Cam inside out game in the second unit should work very well.

I personally wouldn't mess with it, considering those lineups worked really well, unless it suddenly changes, but I also am not THAT high on Jae Crowder...solid reserve but not a great starter. It would be fine to try though. We would just lack shooting unless he shot like he did in the bubble.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#24 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:38 am

ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#25 » by ATTL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 am

Solid signing, hes a good piece to add for forward depth.
Walt_Uoob
Senior
And1: 403

Post#26 » by Walt_Uoob » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:20 am

Well we definitely shouldn't have to worry about our starting forward putting too much focus on his modeling career now.

Sent from my moto x4 using RealGM mobile app
Stark
Junior
And1: 671

Post#27 » by Stark » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:23 am

Defensively Carter/Bridges/Crowder will be a problem for rest of the league :droop:
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#28 » by nevetsov » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:14 am

Any word on if the third year is a team option? Would have to be, surely.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,053

Post#29 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 am

Stark wrote:Defensively Carter/Bridges/Crowder will be a problem for rest of the league :droop:

Ayton has gotten better defensively infact he was never really bad imo.

Cam J also showed to be pretty good defensively in his rookie year.

Jalen Smith also looks promising as a defender.

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#30 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#31 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#32 » by Fo-Real » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 pm

Stark wrote:Defensively Carter/Bridges/Crowder will be a problem for rest of the league :droop:

The undrafted guard we signed may soon force his way onto that list and least we not forget Payne can be a pest also.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#33 » by sunsbg » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Cam is still inexperienced, injuries also being a concern in the past, so not sure how ready he is to play a full season as a starter. Crowder's toughness will certainly be useful against bigger lineups. Saric Cam inside out game in the second unit should work very well.

I personally wouldn't mess with it, considering those lineups worked really well, unless it suddenly changes, but I also am not THAT high on Jae Crowder...solid reserve but not a great starter. It would be fine to try though. We would just lack shooting unless he shot like he did in the bubble.

They can at least give it a try and I think they will do just that starting the season. They already messed with the lineups by bringing Paul, who doesn't play exactly the same way as Rubio. Also having a dirty worker, which I hope Crowder is(though Mikal should be one as well), in the starting lineup is not unusual for contenders, with someone like Cam, who can put quick points coming off the bench.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#34 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:31 pm

sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

They can at least give it a try and I think they will do just that starting the season. They already messed with the lineups by bringing Paul, who doesn't play exactly the same way as Rubio. Also having a dirty worker, which I hope Crowder is(though Mikal should be one as well), in the starting lineup is not unusual for contenders, with someone like Cam, who can put quick points coming off the bench.

IMO it is a given that Crowder will start at PF.

It is a more veteran and balanced starting five ready to go defensively since tip off.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#35 » by suns12345 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

IMO it is a given that Crowder will start at PF.

It is a more veteran and balanced starting five ready to go defensively since tip off.

Agree, pretty much what we've always said about why we wanted oubre off the bench and bridges starting.

Starting defense with Book and Ayton with shooting/scoring off the bench to keep things rolling.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#36 » by phx#7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Saberestar wrote:IMO it is a given that Crowder will start at PF.

Agreed. If Johnson ends up as the starting PF it will be due to outplaying Crowder, but I don't expect him to begin as the starter.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#37 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:41 pm

phx#7 wrote:

Agreed. If Johnson ends up as the starting PF it will be due to outplaying Crowder, but I don't expect him to begin as the starter.
Hmm I just assumed that johnson would be our starting 4 and Crowder would project as the backup 3.

Paul / Payne / Carter
Booker / Moore
Bridges / Crowder
Johnson / Saric
Ayton / Smith

Crowder could come in for either bridges or johnson. Saric could come in for either johnson or Ayton. Perhaps it makes sense for johnson to be the 3/4 off the bench though
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#38 » by cberry78 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:58 pm

matt131 wrote:
phx#7 wrote:

Hmm I just assumed that johnson would be our starting 4 and Crowder would project as the backup 3.

Paul / Payne / Carter
Booker / Moore
Bridges / Crowder
Johnson / Saric
Ayton / Smith

Crowder could come in for either bridges or johnson. Saric could come in for either johnson or Ayton. Perhaps it makes sense for johnson to be the 3/4 off the bench though

Switch Smith and Saric and you're closer. Saric was at his best as the BU 5 in the bubble and Smith can play 5, but he did it out of necessity last year, he's a 4 with range naturally.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Post#39 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:01 pm

matt131 wrote:
phx#7 wrote:

Paul / Payne / Carter
Booker / Moore
Bridges / Crowder
Johnson / Saric
Ayton / Smith

They should all play 30 minutes or so, so it really doesn't matter all that much, but I won't be surprised if our lineup that outscores opponents the most is the bubble lineup.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#40 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 pm

cberry78 wrote:
matt131 wrote:
phx#7 wrote:

Paul / Payne / Carter
Booker / Moore
Bridges / Crowder
Johnson / Saric
Ayton / Smith

Switch Smith and Saric and you're closer. Saric was at his best as the BU 5 in the bubble and Smith can play 5, but he did it out of necessity last year, he's a 4 with range naturally.
Yeah that makes sense. I feel like Smith and Saric will probably just be "bigs" off the bench. Depending on our opponent and their lineup, one might play "center" and the other "power forward". There should be opportunities for both to create mismatches on offense. Defensive assignments will just be about size and speed of the opponent.

Return to Phoenix Suns