2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Re: 2020 NBA Offseason Discussion 

Post#81 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 am

Jerami Grant leaving the Nuggets after a WCF run, while being offered the same money is pretty shocking.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,710

Post#82 » by eminence » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:17 am

Yeah, Grant to the Pistons was the big shocker to me so far.

Wood on the Rockets will be a good player, if Harden changes his mind their team is still solid.
I bought a boat.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#83 » by GSP » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:20 am

MisterHibachi wrote:Jerami Grant leaving the Nuggets after a WCF run, while being offered the same money is pretty shocking.

Was he offered the same money by Denver? I thought he was offered less? Its a massive loss for them tho
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#84 » by kayess » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 am

limbo wrote:Anyone else finds it amusing that Chris Paul has been historically held back when debating all-time great NBA players due to his durability, but is in the Top 5 in RS minutes played among all players since 2005, and has remained an all-star, Top 10-15 level player, all the way up to the age of 34?

Meanwhile, you have Wade, Rose, Durant, Westbrook, Curry, Kawhi, Thompson, Griffin, Wall etc. all with missing body parts all over the place while not having to carry a bigger burden than Paul through-out most of their careers?

Wade's career was even more decimated by injuries and filled with MIA's and he was basically subconsciously retired as a difference maker at 32 years of age. We all know Rose was basically done at 25, so was Brandon Roy. Durant is still on track to surpass Paul in terms of durability (having only missed significant time in 2015 and last season), but there's still a question mark how good he can be going forward, and we'll see if he still manages to have enough juice at 35 years to be an all-star level player. Curry is the poster boy for non-durability. Kawhi has a degenerative knee that needs to be load managed and rested 25 games per season at age 27... Westbrook is constantly injured and stopped being a star player at 29 years of age. Griffin is constantly injured and has only hit 30. Thompson's career is probably over at 29/30...

We can add Kyrie and Love in this convo as well, always injured and Kyrie is barely 27...

I forgot Dwight Howard. Dwight managed to be an all-star until about 27 years old and then proceed to have a host of injures and never came close to reaching his prime again. He's the same age as Paul right now, but the difference between them is terms of impact/production/value is massive, despite Dwight playing a couple thousand more RS minutes in his career.

Also Carmelo Anthony, although i was never much of a Melo fan, and his weakness is a lot more mental than physical compared to the other guys, but the dude basically stopped being relevant at 30 years of age as well.

In b4 ''CP3 didn't have a lot of 'deep' PS runs!'', which is true when it comes to the Warriors guys and Wade/Durant/Westbrook i guess, but Paul also had less help than those guys for most of his career as well.

Anyway, this was just an epiphany that arrived to me with Klay's recent injury, on top of another injury he already suffered a year prior, reminding me of all the best player in the league getting decimated by injures in the last 15 years... making me think that maybe the elasticity and speed with which the modern game is being played is very likely harder on the joints than people are willing to admit...

LeCyborg is not the norm, he's an outlier freak of epic proportions with Thanos genetics. Everyone else is getting visited by the Grim Reaper frequently in the last 15 years, and with that taken into consideration, Paul's ability to stay a Top 15 player at almost 35 years of age is a testament to his durability, despite missing plenty RS games and crucial PO games, because as we see now, the majority of other stars in the same environment/era are completely breaking down in healthy & ability somewhere between 25-30... Forget about playing at an all-star level at 35. They can consider themselves lucky if they can be a Trevor Ariza level player at 35...

TL;DR - I've pulled a switcheroo on you. You were taught that Paul's weakness is his bad durability, when he's actually the poster boy for good durability among star players in the last 15 years ;) Funny how perspective works, isn't it?

Don't know why this post is getting ignored. You make a great point. It's really the PS runs that warp perception, tbh, but you covered that as well.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#85 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:36 am

kayess wrote:
limbo wrote:Anyone else finds it amusing that Chris Paul has been historically held back when debating all-time great NBA players due to his durability, but is in the Top 5 in RS minutes played among all players since 2005, and has remained an all-star, Top 10-15 level player, all the way up to the age of 34?

Meanwhile, you have Wade, Rose, Durant, Westbrook, Curry, Kawhi, Thompson, Griffin, Wall etc. all with missing body parts all over the place while not having to carry a bigger burden than Paul through-out most of their careers?

Wade's career was even more decimated by injuries and filled with MIA's and he was basically subconsciously retired as a difference maker at 32 years of age. We all know Rose was basically done at 25, so was Brandon Roy. Durant is still on track to surpass Paul in terms of durability (having only missed significant time in 2015 and last season), but there's still a question mark how good he can be going forward, and we'll see if he still manages to have enough juice at 35 years to be an all-star level player. Curry is the poster boy for non-durability. Kawhi has a degenerative knee that needs to be load managed and rested 25 games per season at age 27... Westbrook is constantly injured and stopped being a star player at 29 years of age. Griffin is constantly injured and has only hit 30. Thompson's career is probably over at 29/30...

We can add Kyrie and Love in this convo as well, always injured and Kyrie is barely 27...

I forgot Dwight Howard. Dwight managed to be an all-star until about 27 years old and then proceed to have a host of injures and never came close to reaching his prime again. He's the same age as Paul right now, but the difference between them is terms of impact/production/value is massive, despite Dwight playing a couple thousand more RS minutes in his career.

Also Carmelo Anthony, although i was never much of a Melo fan, and his weakness is a lot more mental than physical compared to the other guys, but the dude basically stopped being relevant at 30 years of age as well.

In b4 ''CP3 didn't have a lot of 'deep' PS runs!'', which is true when it comes to the Warriors guys and Wade/Durant/Westbrook i guess, but Paul also had less help than those guys for most of his career as well.

Anyway, this was just an epiphany that arrived to me with Klay's recent injury, on top of another injury he already suffered a year prior, reminding me of all the best player in the league getting decimated by injures in the last 15 years... making me think that maybe the elasticity and speed with which the modern game is being played is very likely harder on the joints than people are willing to admit...

LeCyborg is not the norm, he's an outlier freak of epic proportions with Thanos genetics. Everyone else is getting visited by the Grim Reaper frequently in the last 15 years, and with that taken into consideration, Paul's ability to stay a Top 15 player at almost 35 years of age is a testament to his durability, despite missing plenty RS games and crucial PO games, because as we see now, the majority of other stars in the same environment/era are completely breaking down in healthy & ability somewhere between 25-30... Forget about playing at an all-star level at 35. They can consider themselves lucky if they can be a Trevor Ariza level player at 35...

TL;DR - I've pulled a switcheroo on you. You were taught that Paul's weakness is his bad durability, when he's actually the poster boy for good durability among star players in the last 15 years ;) Funny how perspective works, isn't it?

Don't know why this post is getting ignored. You make a great point. It's really the PS runs that warp perception, tbh, but you covered that as well.

it be random doe
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#86 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:19 pm

Holy cow, a lot of teams spending money on average to slightly above average players

Marcus Morris Clippers move is dreadful, he is 31 and is the C version of Kawhi and George offensively
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#87 » by NinjaSheppard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:34 pm

48 million for two guys that were coming off the Celtics bench in 18-19

Wowza
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#88 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:08 pm

If you're paying Hayward almost the same contract as he got last time when he a 27 year old 22/5/5 all-star who was the best player on a 50 W team vs 30 year old coming off years of injured or disappointing play... you probably made a mistake.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,710

Post#89 » by eminence » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:29 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:If you're paying Hayward almost the same contract as he got last time when he a 27 year old 22/5/5 all-star who was the best player on a 50 W team vs 30 year old coming off years of injured or disappointing play... you probably made a mistake.

Gobert was already the best player on that team, but otherwise agreed, too much for Hayward.
I bought a boat.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,795

Post#90 » by Mos_Heat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:41 pm

Amazingly, every good team got worse

More parity!
:reporter:
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#91 » by RCM88x » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Some odd signings going down today.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,774

Post#92 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:21 pm

What in the world is Charlotte doing?
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#93 » by RCM88x » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Love the Jeff Green signing for Brooklyn.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#94 » by Dupp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Charlotte should automatically lose their team for that signing
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#95 » by Statlanta » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:07 pm

People ITT reacting like their team hasn't needed to overpay when their team sucked. Especially the team fans who aren't free agent destinations like LA.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
GSP
RealGM

Post#96 » by GSP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 am

No more Gordon Hayward!!!!! Thank you Goddd!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEAHHHHH time to put this curse behind us :rockon: :rockon:
GSP
RealGM

Post#97 » by GSP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:42 am

The Hawks have had a great Fa........

Trae,Rondo
Dunn,Huerter maybe Bogdan
Gallo,Cam
Collins,Hunter
Capela,Okongwu

good depth and versatility. If Okongwu lives up to his defense potential that team is gonna be a lil scary
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#98 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 am

Yea the Hawks are next year's breakout team. If only they didn't mess up the Hunter/Reddish draft.

Trae's MVP odds could be interesting.
GSP
RealGM

Post#99 » by GSP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 am

Mos_Heat wrote:Amazingly, every good team got worse

More parity!

Blazers, Sixers, Bucks and Jazz got better for sure.

Utah +Favors and kept everyone else

Bucks went from Bledsoe to Jrue which is a massive jump and Bledsoe was just a bad fit with Giannis. Augustin is prolly better than Hill a wash at worst. Rolo doesnt really do much for the playoffs so i dont think its a big loss

Blazers +Roco and kept everyone else. I dont think theres much of a difference b/w going from Whiteside to Kanter if at all TBH

Sixers got rid of Horford who was redundant and a bad fit. +Danny, Seth and Dwight. Always made sense to have shooters/wings around Ben/Embiid and theyve done then along with a solid backup big. Maxey is one of the best Pg prospects too IMO

Mavs arguably depending on how u see Seth VS Josh fit.

I dont think Heat/Lakers/Raptors/Pacers got worse either but stayed relatively the same
GSP
RealGM

Post#100 » by GSP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Yea the Hawks are next year's breakout team. If only they didn't mess up the Hunter/Reddish draft.

Trae's MVP odds could be interesting.

Trae is 80/1 :lol: :lol: :lol: i dont see any way he wins it

Return to Player Comparisons