ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2821 » by DarkXaero » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:40 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:Serious question: If the Clippers offseason is ultimately underwhelming and they don't get off to a good start, should we start to think about the potential of acquiring Kawhi or PG (not just Harden)?

They both have player options for 2021-22, so in theory they could walk away from LAC after this season.
Well the problem with trading for either of those guys is exactly that: they can bounce after one year. Additionally, LAC mortgaged their future so they'll be hell bent on making it work next season.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#2822 » by Netaman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:00 am

As long as they are in a playoff spot why not hope they can turn it on in the postseason? Bucks and Giannis fall into the same category also.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#2823 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:06 am

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Serious question: If the Clippers offseason is ultimately underwhelming and they don't get off to a good start, should we start to think about the potential of acquiring Kawhi or PG (not just Harden)?

They both have player options for 2021-22, so in theory they could walk away from LAC after this season.
Well the problem with trading for either of those guys is exactly that: they can bounce after one year. Additionally, LAC mortgaged their future so they'll be hell bent on making it work next season.

I wouldn't be concerned with either of them having just a year left on their deals, especially Kawhi. They both have pretty portable offensive games, so I'd have almost no concerns with their fit in the offense.

I'm sure LAC will give it a try this season; that's why I mentioned "if they don't get off to a good start". If it seems clear that they can't recover from last season's debacle, it would seem prudent to try and recoup as many assets as possible rather than let them walk for nothing.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,568

Post#2824 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:46 am

I'm not sure. Leonard seems to be the cause of a lot of friction in LA and George...I'm not a fan of the guy as a person and his play was horrific last time I saw him. I'd rather go with Harden, he has a rapport with KD and MDA.

I'm not taking anything away from Leonard, but to me the way things fell apart for The Clippers in the playoffs was a bad sign of things to come for them. That team is toast after this season I think
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2825 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 am

If Serge comes, we definitely need to make a trade because we have log jams at both guard and center. If Harden isn't available I approach Dallas and see what they want for Dinwiddie and Allen, and keep LeVert.

ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#2826 » by ProspectPark » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
ProspectPark wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I know I'm in the minority here, but I want to hold on to Prince.

I still think he can be a really good 3 & D guy in the right system. And defensively hes our best bet to guard wing players. There is nobody we can get on the vet min I would feel better about.

He could easily turn around his value and become a trade asset for a bigger deal next year too.

Exactly. In a playoff series against Tatum and Brown, or Giannis and Middleton, we literally have no one that even on their best day, has the size, strength, and speed to guard any of those players. LeVert, Harris, Dinwiddie, Shamet...etc are not big enough. Prince is the one.

Today's game is more about running guys off the 3pt line and closing down driving lanes than it is about 1-on-1 matchups.

In a playoff series, the Celtics would have to worry about KD and Kyrie. Caris lit them up for 51 points by himself, so I think they'd have more to worry about.

You don't beat Giannis 1-on-1. You beat him with a wall. In back-to-back seasons, the Bucks were knocked out of the playoffs earlier than expected because Giannis jumper proved unreliable and he teams walled him off from the paint. If we get Ibaka, I think our front court could be pretty effective doing the same.

If we're healthy, we're a serious problem for a lot of teams. But the biggest variable is whether we're healthy or not.

Today’s game on the defensive end is more about limiting transition buckets and neutralizing the mismatches generated from the PnR.

Prince is still developing , but he helps us in both situations, while also being a threat from the perimeter on offense. It is way too early for us to give up on him.

He played out of position last year. We ran a gimmicky defense. Let’s give him a month or two under Nash playing with KD and Kyrie, and see if he excels in a more simplified role.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#2827 » by MGrand15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 am

MrDollarBills wrote:If Serge comes, we definitely need to make a trade because we have log jams at both guard and center. If Harden isn't available I approach Dallas and see what they want for Dinwiddie and Allen, and keep LeVert.

I have a good feeling about Ibaka coming + the Harden trade happening with PJ Tucker included in the deal. Things are too quiet for the Nets.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#2828 » by Paradise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:48 am

Jeff Teague to Boston.

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2829 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 am

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:If Serge comes, we definitely need to make a trade because we have log jams at both guard and center. If Harden isn't available I approach Dallas and see what they want for Dinwiddie and Allen, and keep LeVert.

I have a good feeling about Ibaka coming + the Harden trade happening with PJ Tucker included in the deal. Things are too quiet for the Nets.

I hope you are right. That would put us over the edge if we land those 3

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#2830 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:31 am

Read on Twitter

It's looking like Ibaka is coming down to us and Toronto.

I always said Ibaka would want to come here because of his long term friendship with Durant.

Assuming this would have to be a sign and trade w/ Toronto though. Who exactly would they want?

We don't really have a lot of matching salaries. I don't think it would be worth it to give up Levert.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2831 » by DarkXaero » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:57 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's looking like Ibaka is coming down to us and Toronto.

I always said Ibaka would want to come here because of his long term friendship with Durant.

Assuming this would have to be a sign and trade w/ Toronto though. Who exactly would they want?

We don't really have a lot of matching salaries. I don't think it would be worth it to give up Levert.
Not necessarily, Clippers have the full MLE and we don't, so they can offer more than us.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2832 » by DarkXaero » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#2833 » by gigantes » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 am

MrDollarBills wrote:

I'm not sure. Leonard seems to be the cause of a lot of friction in LA and George...I'm not a fan of the guy as a person and his play was horrific last time I saw him. I'd rather go with Harden, he has a rapport with KD and MDA.

I'm not taking anything away from Leonard, but to me the way things fell apart for The Clippers in the playoffs was a bad sign of things to come for them. That team is toast after this season I think

I don't know how you can be Sean Marks and not have serious concerns about both these guys' leadership capabilities. Not to mention their long-term health, plus the health repercussions due to their previous injuries.

But character matters, too. Like... if you want out of a contract or a team, then okay, that's just the reality of today's star-driven game. But doing your old team dirty does not sit well with me.

In Leonard's case, it seems increasingly clear that the Spurs tried to work with him every step of the way, but his people crafted a narrative that San Antonio were being completely unreasonable (even as Kawhi repeatedly refused to cooperate), which then led to a league-wide hit on the Spurs reputation. That's pretty fluffed up to me, since the Spurs had arguably been the league's most accountable, respectable org for... almost decades, at that point.

The Toronto situation wasn't quite so bad, but hearing about Uncle Dennis' ludicrously over-the-top demands made it pretty clear that Kawhi's camp once again had no interest in dealing by good faith. The way PG's handled things with Indy and OKC is kind of a lesser variant of how that went, to me. Nothing too terrible step-by-step, but not a very flattering picture painted in the end.

Harden with the Rockets seems more like AD's situation with NO. He wants out of a 2yr deal, and isn't interested in playing games about it. He seems to have zero interest in getting in to the cheap "I said, they said" drama.

/rant
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2834 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This says to me that Ibaka is a pipe dream right now unless he takes a serious paycut.

:nonono: i'm not pleased with how this offseason is going. yes, I like the players we've added but I feel like the ball has been dropped. We should have aggressively went after Covington via trade. We'll see.

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#2835 » by Papi_swav » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
Teshima Junta wrote:Nets still need some moves. Versatile defensive player needed. Like Tucker for example (Ibaka works as well). Current Nets team won't beat the Lakers imo. That's assuming Nets reaches the finals which isn't a given of course (especially with injury-prone superstars).

Any team that hopes to beat the Lakers needs to have at least 2-3 agile 6'6"+ defenders who are mainly focused on being a big body that can stay in front of LBJ. He overpowers smaller defenders and is too quick for many bigger players.

It's amazing that this is still the case heading into year 18.

My post from this morning...

Jeff Green is one. We have 1-2 more to go.

You are right, I also think we need another 6'10 ish guy that is agile and flexible to be able to defend AD. Ibaka would be perfect there, Allen fits the criteria as well and so does KD.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2836 » by Paradise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 am

Ibaka to the Clippers

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2837 » by DarkXaero » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 am

Told yall Ibaka was a pipe dream...
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#2838 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 am

Read on Twitter

Oh well. I guess he wanted to play for a contender and we couldn't give him the full MLE. Probably a good situation for him too.

We clearly have too many guys right now. Need to do something.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#2839 » by JoseRizal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 am

Damn...
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#2840 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 am

Who is left to get for the MLE now? Do we just not use it?

Return to Brooklyn Nets