Free Agency Day 2 Winners and Losers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Walmart
Starter
And1: 1,318

Free Agency Day 2 Winners and Losers 

Post#1 » by Walmart » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:05 am

Winners for me:

New Orleans-Love the Adams fit next to Zion

Phoenix-I really like Crowder coming off the bench for them

Losers:
MIlwaukee-Instead of getting Bogdan, end up with a 33 year-old backup PG to a 3 year deal and Portis

Blazers-not a fan of any of the moves they've made this offseason besides trading for Covington. Need more defenders on that team and they bring back Kanter, Anthony, and Hood.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Re: Free Agency Day 2 Winners and Losers 

Post#2 » by youngcrev » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:09 am

I like Adams, not sure what you like about his fit next to Zion though. And giving up draft capital for one very overpaid year of him feels like bad business.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:11 am

Hate Thompson at that big of a number and Teague basically at all for a team that sees itself as a contender. Boston not having a good day.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Walmart
Starter
And1: 1,318

Post#4 » by Walmart » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Hate Thompson at that big of a number and Teague basically at all for a team that sees itself as a contender. Boston not having a good day.

Teague is on a one-year deal and if he isn't effective in limited minutes they can just cut him. Tristan is on a two-year deal where's he making as much per year as Meyers Leonard or Kanter.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,687

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 am

Walmart wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Hate Thompson at that big of a number and Teague basically at all for a team that sees itself as a contender. Boston not having a good day.

Teague is on a one-year deal and if he isn't effective in limited minutes they can just cut him. Tristan is on a two-year deal where's he making as much per year as Meyers Leonard or Kanter.

It's twice Kanter and I don't have paying Leonard $10M as good value either. But I think he got paid that to potentially be expiring filler. Thompson got it to be the backup center.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#6 » by BuddyBuckets » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:26 am

Yea I think turning Jrue into Bledsoe and Adams is a boon for New Orleans, isn't a total home run by any means, but they plugged a major hole in their roster with a talented player and Bledsoe will have a significant role.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#7 » by Prez » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:27 am

I'm not really a fan of giving up any draft assets for Adams honestly. Though it seems I'm much lower on him than most people.
ThaFranchize84
Junior
And1: 156

Post#8 » by ThaFranchize84 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:29 am

Miami did well with under the radar moves. Getting Bradley and Harkless to below market contracts and most importantly not jeopardizing 2021 space. They will still contend in the East.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#9 » by Prez » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 am

Also the Bucks should be a loser here solely from the Connaughton signing, assuming it's not a part of a bigger move still in the works. It's obviously not the worst contract handed out, but the sheer incompetence associated with some of the cap details is depressing. Portis is a decent get buckets guy for cheap so whatever I guess and Augustin will be useful but the contract isn't great.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:24 am

Prez wrote:Also the Bucks should be a loser here solely from the Connaughton signing, assuming it's not a part of a bigger move still in the works. It's obviously not the worst contract handed out, but the sheer incompetence associated with some of the cap details is depressing. Portis is a decent get buckets guy for cheap so whatever I guess and Augustin will be useful but the contract isn't great.

Thought the Bogdan thing was a one-off incident but that Connaughton signing was horrible for the Bucks. Really Hamstrung them.

They need to add someone who knows the CBA back-to-front in that office.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,528

Post#11 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:25 am

slap a huge L on us
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 am

Some moves have been bad but I can't nail them yet because I'm wondering if they are leading to something good.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#13 » by giberish » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:58 am

Losers:

Mil - You know what star players want when deciding to stay or go? A competent FO they trust to keep building teams around them. Repeatedly failing at basic details of making deals looks REALLY bad.
Detroit + Charlotte - You're one of the worst teams in the league. So to get a little better this year you waive and stretch player(s) to have dead-money charges for the next few years just to clear extra cap to overpay a guy who might get you to 30 wins or so next season. Now when you at least have a chance to be good in a few years you'll be held back by bad contract(s) and dead-weight money. How do you possibly sell this as an acceptable strategy?

Winners:

OKC got draft pick(s) and inoffensive filler for a significantly overpaid guy at a tough position to move. Helps make the Horford deal not look as bad.
PHX - gets Crowder for MLE money.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#14 » by Sactowndog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 am

I think two teams F’d up with Bogdan.

First the Milwaukee GM got greedy and tried to slam in Jrue Holiday and remove a pick from the Kings and force Bogdan to accept less salary. Both the Kings and Bogdan balked.

Then Schlenk in Atlanta thought he could take Bogdan with no compensation to the Kings. But he signed Rondo, Dunn and Gallo and left the Kings with enough space to work a trade with Indy with Bogdan and Turner.

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. Horst and Schlenk are hogs who will get slaughtered.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#15 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 am

Clippers are Day 2 winners with a lucky ass brilliant signing of Serge Ibaka to a 2 year 19mil 2nd year Player option deal. Clippers needed a big man who can stretch the floor, D up, and be a good locker room guy. Serge fills all of those roles to the dot. Clippers still have their BAE and can use a backup SG/SF who's long, can defend, and hit some open shots, or the best play making PG they can find.

Lakers are my surprise Day 2 loser. Only reason they suddenly get hte loser tag is that Serge Ibaka signed the exact same deal as Montrelz Harrell. IMO Serge Ibaka fills WAY more boxes than Harrell, who's undersized, atrocious D, no range, and potential locker room psycho. Serge is like twice the player and if the choice was between Ibaka or Harrell, u go Ibaka everytime, and with Ibaka id say the Lakers become HEAVY favorites to repeat.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#16 » by Slava » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 am

Vae Victus wrote:Clippers are Day 2 winners with a lucky ass brilliant signing of Serge Ibaka to a 2 year 19mil 2nd year Player option deal. Clippers needed a big man who can stretch the floor, D up, and be a good locker room guy. Serge fills all of those roles to the dot. Clippers still have their BAE and can use a backup SG/SF who's long, can defend, and hit some open shots, or the best play making PG they can find.

Lakers are my surprise Day 2 loser. Only reason they suddenly get hte loser tag is that Serge Ibaka signed the exact same deal as Montrelz Harrell. IMO Serge Ibaka fills WAY more boxes than Harrell, who's undersized, atrocious D, no range, and potential locker room psycho. Serge is like twice the player and if the choice was between Ibaka or Harrell, u go Ibaka everytime, and with Ibaka id say the Lakers become HEAVY favorites to repeat.

Lakers clearly want players in the age and mileage bracket who can soak up minutes in the regular season on a short turnaround time. It makes total sense for them to be looking at Schröder and Harrell instead of adding to an ageing core with more 30+ guys with heavy mileage who will need breaks during the regular season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by zimpy27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:59 am

Vae Victus wrote:Clippers are Day 2 winners with a lucky ass brilliant signing of Serge Ibaka to a 2 year 19mil 2nd year Player option deal. Clippers needed a big man who can stretch the floor, D up, and be a good locker room guy. Serge fills all of those roles to the dot. Clippers still have their BAE and can use a backup SG/SF who's long, can defend, and hit some open shots, or the best play making PG they can find.

Ibaka is being pretty overrated here. Markieff Morris adds the same value to the Lakers that Serge would add. Serge should be paid a bit less than Harrells money, he doesn't have a single elite skill anymore now that his jump is gone.

But I definitely think Ibaka is a better fit on the Clips and Harrell is a better fit on the Lakers. So both did fine.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#18 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:30 am

Walmart wrote:Winners for me:

New Orleans-Love the Adams fit next to Zion

Phoenix-I really like Crowder coming off the bench for them

Losers:
MIlwaukee-Instead of getting Bogdan, end up with a 33 year-old backup PG to a 3 year deal and Portis

Blazers-not a fan of any of the moves they've made this offseason besides trading for Covington. Need more defenders on that team and they bring back Kanter, Anthony, and Hood.
had Portland cone moving well ... they added Cov who is great on defense..and Jones also has great defensive potential ... and crazy Athletics Some defense oriented backup guard (Delon Wright ??) and they are contenders in my opinion
1+1=11
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#19 » by BullyKing » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am

Sactowndog wrote:I think two teams F’d up with Bogdan.

First the Milwaukee GM got greedy and tried to slam in Jrue Holiday and remove a pick from the Kings and force Bogdan to accept less salary. Both the Kings and Bogdan balked.

Do you have a link for that?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#20 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 pm

Sactowndog wrote:I think two teams F’d up with Bogdan.
Then Schlenk in Atlanta thought he could take Bogdan with no compensation to the Kings. But he signed Rondo, Dunn and Gallo and left the Kings with enough space to work a trade with Indy with Bogdan and Turner.

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. Horst and Schlenk are hogs who will get slaughtered.

A little dramatic but I understand not being happy with the Kings situation. They are in limbo and need a team to at least offer Bogdan something so they can move on from this.

Gallinari got 61.5 over 3 years ( 20.5 a season ) for his 18.7 points a game and .617 TS%. The Hawks have enough left to offer 72 million over 4 years ( 18 a season ). I am not sure they would want to offer more than that for 15 points a game and .565 TS%. If you look at what Harris just got with 5 years and 80 million, that is 16 million a season. I think 18 million a season is more than fair for Bogdan. If they don't get him for that, walking away seems about right.

As far as the Pacers interest go. Right now it looks like it was a wish upon a star to get Turner by a Sacramento beat reporter. He is already backing down on it.

Read on Twitter
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams

Return to Trades and Transactions