And1: 1,264

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#261 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Plumlee 24, Stewart 24
Blake 28, Grant 10, Okafor/Bradley 10
Grant 20, Sekou 28
Bey 20, Svi 24, Hayes 4
Hayes 20, Rose 28

Okafor/Bradley + Wright & Jackson get minutes if they earn them.

Extremely young roster, loads of minutes for the kids and the only vets on the roster are "quality character" guys.

We're longer, more athletic, far more defensive minded, have lots of switchable bodies on the wing...

Racing to the bottom 5 in the league is easy

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Bey.....at SG

:o
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#262 » by TPA » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 pm

I'm hoping Grant's 3rd year is a team option. That would become an amazing revelation!
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#263 » by BJK1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:36 pm

TPA wrote:I'm hoping Grant's 3rd year is a team option. That would become an amazing revelation!

Denver was supposedly offering him the same deal as Detroit, so doubtful he’d take the Detroit deal without a guaranteed 3rd year. If anything, they’d have given him a player option versus a team option.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#264 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:43 pm

BJK1 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
BJK1 wrote:
Yeah, I’ve read that. I just decided to throw out some irresponsible speculation just like Weaver throws out money. 8-)

To be clear, it hasn't been speculated, it's been REPORTED what we're doing to sign them outright.

Sorry, let me clarify - I was referring to myself as the one throwing the irresponsible speculation out there. Probably didn’t come out as clearly as it could have.

I guess to me speculation has to be about something that isn't already a sure thing.

I thought you were implying we didn't definitively know what was actually happening.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#265 » by BJK1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:46 pm

Snakebites wrote:
BJK1 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:To be clear, it hasn't been speculated, it's been REPORTED what we're doing to sign them outright.

Sorry, let me clarify - I was referring to myself as the one throwing the irresponsible speculation out there. Probably didn’t come out as clearly as it could have.

I guess to me speculation has to be about something that isn't already a sure thing.

I thought you were implying we didn't definitively know what was actually happening.

No, I was aware what was being reported. Hence me using the term “irresponsible speculation” in my post. I was just having a little fun.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#266 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 am

Interesting that he says he wanted a larger role yet he was slated to become the starter. He also stated he wanted to become a starter on a playoff contender, guess he lied about that too. It's all about the MONEY, that never lies !!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#267 » by Southern Piston » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:32 am

I think Grant will work out nicely in a couple seasons packaged with a younger rising prospect for a possibly peaking on the way down 20m player. It’s only three seasons that’s reasonable rebuild.

How about Griffin,Rose,Dedmond, and Isiah Stewart for Batum, zeller, Monk, and Ball
MJ is going for it with Rose, Graham, Rozier, Hayward, Dedmond, Griffin, Bridges, Stewart,
and PJ Washington
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#268 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:38 am

skywalker33 wrote:Interesting that he says he wanted a larger role yet he was slated to become the starter. He also stated he wanted to become a starter on a playoff contender, guess he lied about that too. It's all about the MONEY, that never lies !!

There is a Ringer article about this today I think.

Grant had 8 shots a game with Denver. He wants more. With Michael Porter Jr coming on, that number will go down.

Thats not what he wants. Im guessing he either starts at SF or has a mix of SF/PF here to play full starter minutes. He will have a green light to try and be a focal point guy. Probably gets 10-15 shots a game in Detroit.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#269 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 am

thesack12 wrote:
Grant 20, Sekou 28
Bey 20, Svi 24, Hayes 4
Hayes 20, Rose 28

Extremely young roster, loads of minutes for the kids and the only vets on the roster are "quality character" guys.

We're longer, more athletic, lots of switchable bodies on the wing...

You forgot Delon Wright, Josh Jackson, Rodney McGruder, Musa.

All the kids are buried.

Kids are buried? By whom?

Plumlee? You think he averages more than 24 minutes a game?

McGruder? Dude is 29 and almost got stretched so that indicates where he sits on our priority list.

Are Blake and Rose going to bury the kids given their histories?

skywalker33

Post#270 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:44 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Interesting that he says he wanted a larger role yet he was slated to become the starter. He also stated he wanted to become a starter on a playoff contender, guess he lied about that too. It's all about the MONEY, that never lies !!

Grant had 8 shots a game with Denver. He wants more. With Michael Porter Jr coming on, that number will go down.

Thats not what he wants. Im guessing he either starts at SF or has a mix of SF/PF here to play full starter minutes. He will have a green light to try and be a focal point guy. Probably gets 10-15 shots a game in Detroit.

If he averages more than 15ppg I'll be surprised. I think he can be a good partner with Blake but to me it shows me he (or his agent)
are all about the $$$

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#271 » by 440BB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 am

skywalker33 wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

If he averages more than 15ppg I'll be surprised. I think he can be a good partner with Blake but to me it shows me he (or his agent)
are all about the $$$

It's been reported he turned down the same contract with Denver to come to Detroit.

It seems strange to say that. Not many players choose Detroit over anybody for the same money.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#272 » by thesack12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 am

Pharaoh wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Grant 20, Sekou 28
Bey 20, Svi 24, Hayes 4
Hayes 20, Rose 28

We're longer, more athletic, lots of switchable bodies on the wing...

You forgot Delon Wright, Josh Jackson, Rodney McGruder, Musa.

All the kids are buried.

Kids are buried? By whom?

Plumlee? You think he averages more than 24 minutes a game?

McGruder? Dude is 29 and almost got stretched so that indicates where he sits on our priority list.

Are Blake and Rose going to bury the kids given their histories?

Hayes is a 1
Jackson is a 2/3
Svi is a 2/3
Sekou is a 3/4
Bey is a 3/4
Stewart is a 5/4

Wright is a 1/2 thus blocking Hayes & Jackson
McGruder is a 2 thus blocking Jackson, Svi
Grant is a 3/4 thus blocking all of Sekou, Bey, Stewart, Svi and Jackson
Plumlee is a 5/4 thus blocking Stewart and any other young 4 options.

Seems kind of odd to think that Weaver would have signed Grant and Plumlee to the contracts he did, if he didn't envision them to approach 30 MPG territory. Also seems like Weaver held back on stretching McGruder for a reason. If he brings a Bruce Brown type profile to the table, do we really think Casey isn't going to use this guy?

And yes I absolutely believe that Rose and Blake are gonna get ridden frequently until they aren't healthy enough to be on the floor. Especially since Dwane Casey will be the guy most in charge of minute allocations.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#273 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:23 am

If the third year was any kind of option or non-guaranteed there would have been some indication from the multiple people who have reported on this.

Come on, guys. Get out of the bargaining phase.
skywalker33

Post#274 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 am

Read on Twitter

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#275 » by thesack12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:45 am

^^^ Dude was assisted on 84% of his field goals, and people are trying to talk themselves into thinking Grant could play himself into being an asset at that price.
TPA
Senior

Post#276 » by TPA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 am

Snakebites wrote:If the third year was any kind of option or non-guaranteed there would have been some indication from the multiple people who have reported on this.

Come on, guys. Get out of the bargaining phase.

As of this hour, how many FA signings have you read or heard the specifics for the contracts signed? Seen any contracts announced with a team or player option? I haven't seen a single one. Would you expect options on any of these signings? I would. There are options on many of the FA contracts that are signed. We haven't seen exact contract details for any of these signings yet because they won't be "official" until tomorrow @ 12:01PM.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#277 » by Kilo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He wants to see what he could be. He crashes and burns in Detroit, he can go back to being what he was in Denver at 29 yrs old. The Ringer article I thought was very good on the decision. He didn't leave money on the table to shoot his shot. He's betting on himself and didn't want to accept the support role for himself just yet.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
TPA
Senior

Post#278 » by TPA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 am

Kilo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He wants to see what he could be. He crashes and burns in Detroit, he can go back to being what he was in Denver at 29 yrs old. The Ringer article I thought was very good on the decision. He didn't leave money on the table to shoot his shot. He's betting on himself and didn't want to accept the support role for himself just yet.

Which is why I sincerely hope Detroit is giving him his opportunity to bet on himself without a guaranteed third year. If he somehow metamorphoses into some sort of offensive threat, coupled with his established defensive ability, we can keep him another year. Otherwise, we cut him loose. He's being given the opportunity to "showcase" in Detroit, which he wouldn't have had in Denver. Detroit's FA timeline should be 2 years with any FA signings. I'm hoping his 3rd year is a team option.
skywalker33

Post#279 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:21 am

TPA wrote:
Kilo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Which is why I sincerely hope Detroit is giving him his opportunity to bet on himself without a guaranteed third year. If he somehow metamorphoses into some sort of offensive threat, coupled with his established defensive ability, we can keep him another year. Otherwise, we cut him loose. He's being given the opportunity to "showcase" in Detroit, which he wouldn't have had in Denver. Detroit's FA timeline should be 2 years with any FA signings. I'm hoping his 3rd year is a team option.

Well, he could probably still make a good career with a Title ring in his possession, hard to see that happening in DET...or DEN for the foreseeable future. I hope he does well, but I stick with my 15ppg prediction. The other detriment, it feels like he will be a hindrance to the development of some of your younger players.

TPA
Senior

Post#280 » by TPA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 am

skywalker33 wrote:
TPA wrote:
Kilo wrote:

Well, he could probably still make a good career with a Title ring in his possession, hard to see that happening in DET...or DEN for the foreseeable future. I hope he does well, but I stick with my 15ppg prediction. The other detriment, it feels like he will be a hindrance to the development of some of your younger players.

I don't know what you mean when you state he could make a good career with a "Title ring" yet unlikely in DET or DEN... He would certainly stunt the growth of our developing core if he's given free rein to "bet on himself" in Detroit.

Return to Detroit Pistons