ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Knicks sign Nerlens Noel

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,212

Re: Woj: Knicks sign Nerlens Noel 

Post#21 » by The Lamma » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:26 am

NYG wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Hmmm, he's this year's Taj signing then

Hope this is not a precursor to trading Mitch

We have this year's Payton (Payton), Ellington (Burks), Gibson (Noel)... who is going to be Portis and Morris? Giles and Saric?

Except this years Payton is $5 instead of $8. Burks is $6, instead of Ellington's $8. (not to mention Burks easily being a better all around player). And Noel is $5 instead of $10. This is looking like some shrewd Moneyball movie type roster costing, versus our typical overpaying for some "has been with a name" about to head into a nursing home.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#22 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 am

The Lamma wrote:
NYG wrote:

We have this year's Payton (Payton), Ellington (Burks), Gibson (Noel)... who is going to be Portis and Morris? Giles and Saric?

Except this years Payton is $5 instead of $8. Burks is $6, instead of Ellington's $8. (not to mention Burks easily being a better all around player). And Noel is $5 instead of $10. This is looking like some shrewd Moneyball movie type roster costing, versus our typical overpaying for some "has been with a name" about to head into a nursing home.

and cheaper deal making chips if needed. easier to round up to match salaries, etc.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#23 » by GEOLINK » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 am

Scalabrine wrote:Noel will make Mitch work for that starting spot. He's still just 26 and he has a really solid year in OKC last year. I'm really just so relieved that we're doing this and not going out and signing 30+ year olds to 4 year contracts hoping to sneak into the playoffs.

In fairness we haven't done this since the Phil Jackson years.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#24 » by NYG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:57 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
The Lamma wrote:
NYG wrote:

and cheaper deal making chips if needed. easier to round up to match salaries, etc.

Yeah I actually agree. This is a solid all around Knicks off-season. Just wait until the 2021 off-season how bad most of these long-term deals will look. Even Payton, I think Thibodeau could squeeze some juice out of him.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,286

Post#25 » by RHODEY » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 am

islanders11040 wrote:ahhh. the guy who was so stupid that he turned down a 70 mil contract and has been playing for a fraction of that since. i got no issues with him at 5 mil 1 year

Then he should be playing with a 65 million dollar chip on his shoulder. :D
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#26 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 am

NYG wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
The Lamma wrote:

Yeah I actually agree. This is a solid all around Knicks off-season. Just wait until the 2021 off-season how bad most of these long-term deals will look. Even Payton, I think Thibodeau could squeeze some juice out of him.

Aside from dreading a Randle-Payton starting line-up, I agree.

Letting clubs lock down their salary structures in a year without too many key free agents is a good sit this one out strategy going into 2021.

Hoping the kids get playing time. That's all I ask. Let these short-term signings not be full time minutes guys
NYG
RealGM

Post#27 » by NYG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
NYG wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Letting clubs lock down their salary structures in a year without too many key free agents is a good sit this one out strategy going into 2021.

Hoping the kids get playing time. That's all I ask. Let these short-term signings not be full time minutes guys

I agree, Randle needs to go. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but if we could get two unprotected first round picks and try to get Rui or Deni as a result then I would definitely do a Randle for Wall swap. I know that kills our flexibility financially, but I see the Knicks with the Kentucky connections convincing themselves into a CP3 to OKC type of scenario where they get picks to get the better player and the amount of picks we would suddenly have accumulated becomes significant in the next few drafts.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#28 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 am

NYG wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
NYG wrote:

I agree, Randle needs to go. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but if we could get two unprotected first round picks and try to get Rui or Deni as a result then I would definitely do a Randle for Wall swap. I know that kills our flexibility financially, but I see the Knicks with the Kentucky connections convincing themselves into a CP3 to OKC type of scenario where they get picks to get the better player and the amount of picks we would suddenly have accumulated becomes significant in the next few drafts.

In theory, but do we even know if Wall is going to be a productive player again or even if his health is satisfactory?

I understand the logic, but I'm pretty dead set against $40M contracts going to anyone not named MJ or Lebron in their prime

There may be other avenues to collect some more FRPs without burying yourself in cap hell
NYG
RealGM

Post#29 » by NYG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
NYG wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

In theory, but do we even know if Wall is going to be a productive player again or even if his health is satisfactory?

I understand the logic, but I'm pretty dead set against $40M contracts going to anyone not named MJ or Lebron in their prime

There may be other avenues to collect some more FRPs without burying yourself in cap hell

That's fair. I think in part I'm just trying to buy into it because I can see it happening.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Post#30 » by SARGO127 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 am

Burks and Noel May met us picks at the deadline if they play well
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,181

Post#31 » by aq_ua » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 am

I can get behind this signing. First signing that isn’t offensive and makes sense. Seems like we’re committing to a defensive philosophy, but the lack of outside shooting continues to be a sore spot.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,932

Post#32 » by Jeffrey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:08 am

It's a good signing. I understand this signing. I also under Burks signing. Payton not so much.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Post#33 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 am

aq_ua wrote:I can get behind this signing. First signing that isn’t offensive and makes sense. Seems like we’re committing to a defensive philosophy, but the lack of outside shooting continues to be a sore spot.

We need a solid shooting 3/4 forward. I'm afraid Iggy ain't the answer there.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Post#34 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:58 am

Jeffrey wrote:It's a good signing. I understand this signing. I also under Burks signing. Payton not so much.

Do you think Burks is so much better than Dotson that we needed to make this change?
Free Palestine
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#35 » by seren » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 am

On the positive, I am glad we are going for another lottery pick in what is expected to be a great draft class. Also I am happy to save money by not getting a cable or streaming package that includes MSG for another year. On to 2021
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,932

Post#36 » by Jeffrey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:29 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:It's a good signing. I understand this signing. I also under Burks signing. Payton not so much.

Do you think Burks is so much better than Dotson that we needed to make this change?

Nope. I loved Dotson.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#37 » by Oscirus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:27 am

To endear him to knick fans

Read on Twitter
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#38 » by Ray Williams » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
NYG wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

That’s the big if, do those 2 clowns start, if they come off the bench and know their role, OK, but if they start they’re going to start that hero ball bull, hope Thibs doesn’t them in that position.
Mitch...Noel
Obi......Randle
RJ.......Knox
Quickly...Burks
Frank...Payton
YouthMovement
General Manager
And1: 4,756

Post#39 » by YouthMovement » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

i think burks is substantially better
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#40 » by Ray Williams » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 am

This signing I like a lot, we need a rim protect on the court at all times, I wouldn’t have minded a 2 year deal with a club option for a third for him, he fits.

Return to New York Knicks