[SHAMS] KCP Back to Lakers, 3 yrs 40 mil.....

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RoundMoundOfReb
Junior
And1: 545

Re: [SHAMS] KCP Back to Lakers, 3 yrs 40 mil..... 

Post#81 » by RoundMoundOfReb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 am

dockingsched wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Biased_Fan6425 wrote:So no extra max contract next year?

I love KCP but they should have offered him a 1 year balloon contract like before.

No Bogdan then.

Sent from my IN2013 using RealGM mobile app

agreed

or if they were going to go into 21 cap space then do it for someone better like bogdan

These are the type of posts that have no basis in reality.

“They should’ve done it for Bogdan”

As if the Lakers are in complete control over:

1. The amount Bogdan is asking for
2. The amount the Kings aren’t simply willing to match
3. The Kings asking price to facilitate a sign n trade
4. The amount KCP is asking for and if he’s even willing to go to Sacramento to make the trade work

Not only that but they literally can't give KCP a balloon payment. They are harcapped at the apron since they used the full-MLE. 13 mil is about the maximum amount of money they could reasonably give KCP while still leaving room for the vet mins to fill out the roster.

Besides, this is good value for KCP anyways. They can easily move off of this if/when they need to. DG got 15 mil a year just last year and was not so hard to trade.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#82 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 am

toodarkmark wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
toodarkmark wrote:Two starters? That's all it took to win a world championship? Amazing.

This is exactly what he should have gotten against the hard cap and them having his bird rights. He probably could have gotten more money from the desperate ass Knicks and the Hawks. Hawks probably moved on to Rondo when KCP came back.

This is literally the perfect deal for KCP in this situation. Lakers are the best run organization IMO. Which is shocking because two years ago they were a mess.

Yeah, I'm sure it's so hard to run a team in LA. It's not like Superstars go there even when they suck. :roll:

No, they're far from the "best run organization." They just happen to be in the area most young athletes want to go. They do a good job of taking advantage of their situation, but if they were based in San Antonio, Utah, or Oklahoma, they wouldn't be as well run as those teams currently are.

Then why did the Lakers have so many losing seasons? If it's where young players want to go? If it's that easy? Why were they in the lottery 2014 to 2018?

So tell me why LeBron wanted to be there then? You said it yourself. They were losing and still ended up with a top 2 player of all time.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#83 » by tugs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 am

infinite11285 wrote:
tugs wrote:That's a bit steep

Not in a world where Joe Harris just got 4/$75M.

KCP was expected to sign between $13M-$15M per.
Touche, yeah you're right. Was thinking of his overall bubble play but yeah he was instrumental during the playoffs how could have I forgotten

Now I'm thinking he and Clarkson are underpaid relative to Joe Harris
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#84 » by MrBigShot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:55 am

Why are people calling this an serious overpay? Starting caliber 3&D guys are a coveted commodity in this league, and KCP had a pretty solid performance in the playoffs. Well deserved contract, and very tradeable down the line should they decide to.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#85 » by tugs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:55 am

therealbig3 wrote:
tugs wrote:That's a bit steep

Starting caliber 3 and D guard, came up huge in the playoffs.

I think that’s a slight bargain actually. I think the market for KCP is like $15 million at least.
Yeah, like I said in the other post didn't know why I based it on the initial bubble games. Completely forgot he was the Lakers 3rd guy.
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#86 » by Young Stapler » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 am

MrBigShot wrote:Why are people calling this an serious overpay? Starting caliber 3&D guys are a coveted commodity in this league, and KCP had a pretty solid performance in the playoffs. Well deserved contract, and very tradeable down the line should they decide to.

Once he got out of that early season slump he was solid for us and in the bubble he took it to the next level. I'm very happy we are bringing him back.
GaryDags
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#87 » by GaryDags » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:15 am

Young Stapler wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:Why are people calling this an serious overpay? Starting caliber 3&D guys are a coveted commodity in this league, and KCP had a pretty solid performance in the playoffs. Well deserved contract, and very tradeable down the line should they decide to.

Once he got out of that early season slump he was solid for us and in the bubble he took it to the next level. I'm very happy we are bringing him back.

I am not going to look it up but I seem to recall he started slow the last two years. This is good for Laker fans in general because his shooting in the last 2/3 of the season can be more significant to success. Regardless, we needed him for continuity and being one of the top available players remaining at the position.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#88 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:16 am

Kobeskillz wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Ewwwww haven't they overpaid him enough already

Someone help me understand how he was a huge piece in a championship run and someone says this. Lol. I don’t get it. When a man helps you win a chip he’s worth every penny and more.

He is talking about his first and second year with the Lakers. First year he got 18 mil and was very underwhelming, second year he got 15 mil and was just a tad better. Last year he got I think 11 and was excellent. So yeah in an overall context the Lakers have overpaid him.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

[SHAMS] KCP Back to Lakers, 3 yrs 40 mil..... 

Post#89 » by xinxin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
toodarkmark wrote:Two starters? That's all it took to win a world championship? Amazing.

This is exactly what he should have gotten against the hard cap and them having his bird rights. He probably could have gotten more money from the desperate ass Knicks and the Hawks. Hawks probably moved on to Rondo when KCP came back.

This is literally the perfect deal for KCP in this situation. Lakers are the best run organization IMO. Which is shocking because two years ago they were a mess.

Yeah, I'm sure it's so hard to run a team in LA. It's not like Superstars go there even when they suck. :roll:

No, they're far from the "best run organization." They just happen to be in the area most young athletes want to go. They do a good job of taking advantage of their situation, but if they were based in San Antonio, Utah, or Oklahoma, they wouldn't be as well run as those teams currently are.

The clippers have been in LA for more than 20 yrs now & I don’t see free agents making a bee line to sign up with them.

& as we saw with Kawhi, they had to mortgage the house, before he even considered joining them.

The Lakers are a winning franchise, 11 rings in the last 40 years. That’s a 25% winning record. Not to mention the Finals appearances, then you add 6 more.

That’s why they’ve been attractive to superstars over the decades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheHardenChoke
Junior
And1: 479

Post#90 » by TheHardenChoke » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 am

Bron needs a scapegoat...we all saw how he was treated in the post season when things didn't go okay
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#91 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:39 am

Let's not go calling this a steal, but the guy did rep during the playoffs. I thought he was better back in Deetroit, but he in LA now, you know Klutch wasn't going to settle for much less... regardless of what Pelinka thinks of him
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#92 » by LakersSoul » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:41 am

Pelinka wanted to sign him to a lesser amount but I think he paid $13-14 and removed the non-trade clause. Now he has more value as a tradable asset.

Good 3&D guy that knows the system and plays hard. KCP was important on the playoff run and got a good, not great, contract. I believe KCP wanted to return as well. Hard to pass on getting paid millions, playing in LALakers and winning rings.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#93 » by Pinkyring » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Ewwwww haven't they overpaid him enough already

Someone help me understand how he was a huge piece in a championship run and someone says this. Lol. I don’t get it. When a man helps you win a chip he’s worth every penny and more.

He is talking about his first and second year with the Lakers. First year he got 18 mil and was very underwhelming, second year he got 15 mil and was just a tad better. Last year he got I think 11 and was excellent. So yeah in an overall context the Lakers have overpaid him.

Yeah last year was his first year he earned his salary and this deal is 4m a year too much
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#94 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 am

xinxin wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

The clippers have been in LA for more than 20 yrs now & I don’t see free agents making a bee line to sign up with them.

& as we saw with Kawhi, they had to mortgage the house, before he even considered joining them.

The Lakers are a winning franchise, 11 rings in the last 40 years. That’s a 25% winning record. Not to mention the Finals appearances, then you add 6 more.

That’s why they’ve been attractive to superstars over the decades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. Just like the Yankees and Mets in the MLB, players would rather join the storied franchise with the bigger clout and more opportunities to be marketed and pushed into the spotlight. The Lakers have been around waaaaayyyyyy longer and were winning titles before the league became this competitive. Throw in the fact that they're in LA, easy decisions for people who love spotlights. If the Clippers came to LA first, they'd be in the Lakers position now.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MAMBAOUT24
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#95 » by MAMBAOUT24 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:22 am

LakeShow slowly put together a bunch of contracts that could be easily traded for a bigger deal down the road. This is a huge win considering how much reliable 3&D players are being paid. If Bertans can get a 5/60 deal, KCP for 13 mil a season is a big steal. Continuity is key, and keeping a player that knows his role and how to excel in it will benefit the team significantly.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,683

Post#96 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 am

Young Stapler wrote:

Yup. KCP is really the “perfect” complimentary piece that has improved and plays very well off Lebron and AD and is in his prime. He really does everything you need for a shooting guard in our system. Plays off-ball and shot a career high from 3, learned to really attack the paint off fly-bys and in transition, plays hard on the defensive end and given tough matchups, and has even learned to be a solid pick-and-roll passer w/ AD.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#97 » by Slava » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:23 am

The core of the Lakers team outside of LeBron is now more towards entering their prime than past their prime. Davis, Schröder, KCP, Harrell, Caruso, Kuzma are all in the 25-27 range. This will have a big impact on how the team can play in a compressed season on a short turn around time.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#98 » by ratul » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:25 am

Lol, in a world where Joe Harris gets 75 million and Morris gets 64 million while Dwight Howard gets 2mn shows us gms are ding dongs.
loveandbeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,275

Post#99 » by loveandbeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:55 am

Made some key shots in the playoffs. Happy we retained him and should be more than fine given his age.

We didn't have much choice as we're capped out anyway.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#100 » by ROballer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 am

It's basically two years and 30 mil since year 3 is only partially guaranteed.

It's right on market value if not slightly less... and keeps up the 2021 cap space intact, since he's basically an expiring next year.
Should a top FA want to come to the Lakers and they need more cap space, the FO can ship him in half an hour to anywhere without even trying.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.

Return to The General Board