Utah/ORL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Utah/ORL 

Post#1 » by eminence » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 am

Not sure if there's anything here, but looking for input on how much it'd cost Utah in terms of picks, is it doable?

Utah Out: Mike Conley + picks - no idea which/how much

ORL Out: Aaron Gordon, Evan Fournier

How much does it change if it's Ross in place of Fournier?

Pretty basic reasoning - Orlando doesn't feel they're going anywhere and takes on an expiring with draft assets. Utah puts all of their chips on the table to try to win a title.
I bought a boat.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Re: Utah/ORL 

Post#2 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 am

I get it, but I don't think Aaron Gordon is the guy to play for.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
eminence
RealGM

Post#3 » by eminence » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 am

Catchall wrote:I get it, but I don't think Aaron Gordon is the guy to play for.

That's fair, who comes to mind for you? I like OPJ as well, though I'd need assurances on his health.

There aren't many other guys I could think of that'd fit and that we could conceivably get with our mediocre offerings of assets (it's kind of tough for us to trade picks with the protections on the one owed to Memphis). Maybe they'd need to be involved.
I bought a boat.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,819

Post#4 » by psman2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:01 am

The problem here is if Orlando is trading both of those guys then they are for sure tanking. Conley while still a decent player doesn't make up for the lost of those two. So whatever value Conley represents is not really capture by Orlando. In this situation Orlando wouldn't care about the quality of the matching salary. I think Orlando would look for dead expiring salary and a 1st for each of those guys. Thus I don't think Utah would add 2 1sts to turn Conley into those guys.
eminence
RealGM

Post#5 » by eminence » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:07 am

psman2 wrote:The problem here is if Orlando is trading both of those guys then they are for sure tanking. Conley while still a decent player doesn't make up for the lost of those two. So whatever value Conley represents is not really capture by Orlando. In this situation Orlando wouldn't care about the quality of the matching salary. I think Orlando would look for dead expiring salary and a 1st for each of those guys. Thus I don't think Utah would add 2 1sts to turn Conley into those guys.

Do you think it'd be 1 1st if it was Ross in place of Fournier?
I bought a boat.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,819

Post#6 » by psman2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 am

eminence wrote:
psman2 wrote:The problem here is if Orlando is trading both of those guys then they are for sure tanking. Conley while still a decent player doesn't make up for the lost of those two. So whatever value Conley represents is not really capture by Orlando. In this situation Orlando wouldn't care about the quality of the matching salary. I think Orlando would look for dead expiring salary and a 1st for each of those guys. Thus I don't think Utah would add 2 1sts to turn Conley into those guys.

Do you think it'd be 1 1st if it was Ross in place of Fournier?

Not likely. Best option is finding a 3rd team that would pay something decent to turn less valuable expirings into Conley. Not sure if that team exists right now. Maybe Charlotte if they have not official waived Batum?
locomoulds
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#7 » by locomoulds » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:31 am

Orlando supposedly turned down two firsts for Gordon from Portland (same offer that Roco was traded for) and we have seen how wings have gotten paid this year. I believe it would take three first round picks to make it work.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#8 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 pm

eminence wrote:
Catchall wrote:I get it, but I don't think Aaron Gordon is the guy to play for.

That's fair, who comes to mind for you? I like OPJ as well, though I'd need assurances on his health.

There aren't many other guys I could think of that'd fit and that we could conceivably get with our mediocre offerings of assets (it's kind of tough for us to trade picks with the protections on the one owed to Memphis). Maybe they'd need to be involved.

The problem with Gordon is that he's a 30% 3pt shooter. Ideally, the Jazz would get someone like OG Anunoby. But given that this type of player isn't likely available, the Jazz might do well to get Jarrell Brantley to dig in on defense and raise his 3pt% from 33% to 37%.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Trillen
Rookie
And1: 155

Post#9 » by Trillen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Unless it's an overpay on picks, this trade doesn't make enough sense to do for Orlando. We got two young point guards that ideally we wouldn't want Conley stealing notable amounts of time from.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#10 » by j-ragg » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 pm

It’d probably have to be worth a couple firsts to me to make it worth it for Orlando’s perspective, and I doubt the Jazz would wanna pay that for a couple depth pieces, albeit good ones.

Fournier is expiring, Gordon has 2 years left, don’t really want Conley given where we are (nowhere) at this stage. And I’d be shocked if he was happy with heading to Orlando.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.

Return to Trades and Transactions