The Toronto Raptors Must Cut Ties With Kyle Lowry.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Re: The Toronto Raptors Must Cut Ties With Kyle Lowry. 

Post#21 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:36 am

Why not just keep him? If they can somehow land an All Star next year, you give him a smaller deal and try to contend once more for real.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#22 » by mademan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:00 am

Raps are gonna win 55+ again and be a 2 seed. They lost in the last minute of game 7 last year and wouldve had a decent shot at the finals if they got through. Raps are a good team in a balanced East where they have an alright shot. Trade that away for a middling pick? no thanks
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#23 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:06 am

If they were going to flip Lowry for assets they would have done he was 33 years old.

At this point they might as well hold onto it. A late first rounder isn't changing anything.

Hold onto Lowry until his legs stop him from playing.

Future is FVV/OG/Siakam.

The Raps already have a lot of interesting depth pieces too that wouldn't mind extra minutes becoming available when Lowry falls off this cliff, even if it's this season.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,676

Post#24 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am

We probably already have Ibaka's replacement lined up.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,137

Post#25 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 am

lambchop wrote:Clippers get: Lowry
Raptors: Wiseman, Klay
Warriors: George, McCaw

Would Raptors fans do this?

Yes. Anything to get McCaw off the team.

I'd hate to see Lowry on an LA team, but if it means not having to watch 25 MPG of McCaw, it's worth it.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#26 » by The_Hater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 am

I love how urgently it needs to happen, as if it’s a life and death situation.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#27 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am

I thought the Raptors could go after Jae? No idea why they didn't(also not familiar with their MLE situation, Jae got the full).
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#28 » by SF_Warriors » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:34 am

lambchop wrote:Clippers get: Lowry
Raptors: Wiseman, Klay
Warriors: George, McCaw

Would Raptors fans do this?

Clips arent trading pg for lowry
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#29 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:30 am

The Raptors are pretty good. They have great guards in Lowry and Fred. The wings have Siakam and OG. The only hole is the 5 now where they were pretty solid last year. Going into the year with:

Boucher
Siakam
OG
FVV/Powell
Lowry/Powell

They will sneak into the playoffs as a 3-6 seed and be a 1st or 2nd round exit. I guess they are staying to the Giannis plan. I would guess they would also consider trading Powell/FVV for a second max as well. They might be targetting a future RFA in 2021. That would probably be the only way they could compete against the Nets or Miami in the future. A superstar is absolutely necessary in some shape or form.
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 931

Post#30 » by rapluva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Aaron Baynes incoming on the Raptors squad..we need an Aussie..
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#31 » by The_Hater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:Why not just keep him? If they can somehow land an All Star next year, you give him a smaller deal and try to contend once more for real.

Well he’s definitely going to be on the roster to start the season. The question is, and it’s almost certainly dependent on how the Raps season is going and IF Kyle Lowry is in agreement, will he be dealt at the deadline? I think theres a fairly good chance of that happening myself.

But the title of this entire thread is still comical. It makes it sound like he’s dragging the entire organization down around him.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,338

Post#32 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:01 pm

The whole premise of this thread is absurd for a few reasons, but let's start with the idea that the Raptors need to stop "treadmilling". They just won the title a year ago. What the hell even is the definition of a treadmill team anymore? Is it now any team that didn't win the title this year? A team that doesn't look like it'll win the title in the next 3 years? Wouldn't that be 25 or 26 teams in the league?

Would the Raptors have been a "treadmill team" the year before they won their title because most people wouldn't have thought they'd be champions? The whole premise is ridiculous and makes the word meaningless.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#33 » by Dino353 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:51 pm

:roll:
mademan wrote:Raps are gonna win 55+ again and be a 2 seed. They lost in the last minute of game 7 last year and wouldve had a decent shot at the finals if they got through. Raps are a good team in a balanced East where they have an alright shot. Trade that away for a middling pick? no thanks

Put down the crack pipe.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#34 » by _qubik » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Raptors dont have a lot of ways to improve this season, even if they unload Lowry contract who would they sign ? At this point is better to keep him until the trade deadline at least. I dont think Raptors roster is in position to contender this season, they lost Ibaka, they payed FVV, take a last ride and if it doesnt go that well someone will be interested in Lowry at deadline, they can take some picks maybe, a FRP + Asset + Expiring would do, just dont expect the asset to be an top level one.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#35 » by RoyceDa59 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:56 pm

No chance we trade Lowry to the clippers after how they stalked Kawai.

Higher probability we trade him to the Lakers.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Go Raps!!
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,768

Post#36 » by Karate Diop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:58 pm

Eh the East is so wide open that the Raptors could conceivably make it to the finals if things break their way, and once you're in the finals all it takes is a series of extremely unfortunate / unlikely injuries to give you a chance at winning them (even if you otherwise would have had no shot).
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#37 » by chitownsalesmen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 pm

Why wouldn't they just let him expire at the end of the season then walk? Keep him around one more year see what they can do, if they need to let him walk for capspace or if they actually have a shot at Giannis in FA.

Maybe midseason trade for an expiring/future pick if nothing else?

I also think theres an outside shot Lowry might even resign with Toronto for cheap if they did sign Giannis.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,976

Post#38 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Siakam, OG and FVV is their core. They are 26, 23 and 26 years old. That core by itself is pretty easy to build a EC playoff team around. 3 of the best defenders at their positions in the league, and each offensive contributors to different extents. Getting rid of Lowry doesn't tank this team into the lottery.

The Raptors were already looking at taking a mini step back this year with their eyes on 2021. They're currently without a big man under contract and that's something to keep an eye on. But expect this team to be competitive this year and asset manage into 2021, nothing else makes sense with their current roster configuration. They aren't extremely well positioned to trade for a star or strip the team down to collect assets. The Raps are in a good place. Lowry is the greatest Raptor of all-time and they aren't just tossing him away.

Also can we stop talking about Raptors players and how great they'd fit perfect on the Clips? I guess you watched the 2019 playoffs and saw how well the Raptors players fit with Kawhi and now your only solution to fit the Clips is to import the 2019 Raps roster? The Clips have to find their own way to win a championship around Kawhi. The number of time I see people saying "all the Clips need is..." Lowry or Gasol is such a joke.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,681

Post#39 » by TinmanZBoy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:32 pm

all you guys talking like Lowry and FVV could not co-exist... truth is the opposite, they played together pretty well since their final run, as old as Lowry is, he is still the better player between the two... Let Kyle age well in Raptors...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#40 » by Parataxis » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Metallikid wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
We would much rather have PG than Klay, and no, we wouldn't do it.

Would you trade Lowry for PG?

I wouldn't if I were you. But just asking.

No, I don't think there's any kind of return that could replace what Kyle contributes. He'll very likely be an all star this year, again, and he's a winner. And that's before we even get into a discussion about having him retire here.

Honestly, I think it's vastly more likely that he gets moved around the deadline, rather than before the season starts. Gives him one more all-star game repping the Raps, and lets Masai evaluate all the new prospects and/or where the Raps are sitting in the conference.

Return to The General Board