[SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers, 2yrs/19mil

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Caped Crusader
Veteran
And1: 3,855

Re: [SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers, 2yrs/19mil 

Post#181 » by Caped Crusader » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:29 am

reflex35 wrote:Ibaka can still play...
He might have lost some 1 step or 2, but he can stretch the floor and for the most part defend...

It's a good signing and if Ibaka is at least what he was last year he might be a better fit than Harrell.
Ibaka was one of my favorite Raptors in the Nurse era. When Casey was around it was extremely frustrating to watch him on both sides of the floor. I'm curious to see what the Clippers have in store for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#182 » by reflex35 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 am

Caped Crusader wrote:
He might have lost some 1 step or 2, but he can stretch the floor and for the most part defend...

It's a good signing and if Ibaka is at least what he was last year he might be a better fit than Harrell.
Ibaka was one of my favorite Raptors in the Nurse era. When Casey was around it was extremely frustrating to watch him on both sides of the floor. I'm curious to see what the Clippers have in store for him.

I agree.

The more I look at it the more better this deal seems to me...

1. I know that Ibaka is not the youngest player, but he's coming from probably the best offensive season he had.
2. He's a smart player.
3. The amount of money is ok and is great for the value he provides.
4. This is a short term contract so no risk of Ibaka getting injured or too old.
5. Clips is a great fit for him.
loveandbeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,275

Post#183 » by loveandbeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 am

I would've preferred Ibaka over Harrell at the same price.

Good get by LAC.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#184 » by SF_Warriors » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:32 am

Nice move..ibakas game is better suited for the playoffs and he is a better fit for the clips than harrell
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#185 » by FreeThrowLine » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 am

I'm really surprised the overwhelming majority believe Ibaka is going to be more valuable than Harrell going forward. I wouldn't hesitate to take Harrell over Ibaka.

He missed a few weeks and didn't have a great playoff series in the bubble but I don't think he was 'exposed' as a lot of people are saying. How about the previous season against the Warriors under normal circumstances? He couldn't miss, I think he made something like 75% of his shots in those 6 games, while providing roughly 18 & 6 in just 25 minutes.

That's all while playing on a team without a real PG/facilitator on it, yeah he had some chemistry with Lou off the bench but I wouldn't really classify Lou as a guy that's looking to get others involved. Sadly I think he'll shine alongside Lebron and that isn't a trade off that works well in the Clippers favour.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#186 » by LastNameEver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:08 am

Really good value, Lakers should have waited for him.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#187 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:28 am

FreeThrowLine wrote:I'm really surprised the overwhelming majority believe Ibaka is going to be more valuable than Harrell going forward. I wouldn't hesitate to take Harrell over Ibaka.

He missed a few weeks and didn't have a great playoff series in the bubble but I don't think he was 'exposed' as a lot of people are saying. How about the previous season against the Warriors under normal circumstances? He couldn't miss, I think he made something like 75% of his shots in those 6 games, while providing roughly 18 & 6 in just 25 minutes.

That's all while playing on a team without a real PG/facilitator on it, yeah he had some chemistry with Lou off the bench but I wouldn't really classify Lou as a guy that's looking to get others involved. Sadly I think he'll shine alongside Lebron and that isn't a trade off that works well in the Clippers favour.

Do you think the Warriors really took the Clippers team 100% seriously? It was a nice matchup but the Warriors knew how to get rid of us when they locked in. Even then Harrell had the worse +\- on the team by far.

Maybe Vogel can get something out of him because Doc is just terrible. You are also banking on facing a small ball team which I doubt we see much of next season in the West
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#188 » by Spens1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:43 am

This more than makese up for the loss of Harell (in fact i'd say its better).

Must be said though, why didn't toronto just resign him to similarish terms or terms that are slightly better.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,538

Post#189 » by infinite11285 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:52 am

thamadkant wrote:So Clippers have a core rotation of

G: Beverly
G: Paul
F: Leonard
F: Morris
C: Ibaka
G: Williams
G: Jackson
G/F: Kennard
C: Zubac
F/C: Patterson

I think that is not too bad, but they have to analyze how they lost to Nuggets, was it simply a bad matchup? or was it simply because of Murray going crazy for the entire series...

All they need now is a playmaking PG to control the pace and run an offense. Again, a majority of their struggles last season were due to the hole at PG. I really thought they would shore up that spot with Rondo.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#190 » by Freighttrain » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:56 am

reflex35 wrote:
Caped Crusader wrote:

I agree.

The more I look at it the more better this deal seems to me...

1. I know that Ibaka is not the youngest player, but he's coming from probably the best offensive season he had.
2. He's a smart player.
3. The amount of money is ok and is great for the value he provides.
4. This is a short term contract so no risk of Ibaka getting injured or too old.
5. Clips is a great fit for him.

I know he looked like he's 38 for the past 8 years, but he's only 30 according to the world wide web. It could be an African 30 though but who knows :lol:
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#191 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:57 am

Lakers still gonna own this acrub franchise
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#192 » by LakersSoul » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:01 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:I'm really surprised the overwhelming majority believe Ibaka is going to be more valuable than Harrell going forward. I wouldn't hesitate to take Harrell over Ibaka.

Right on. Harrell is getting supremely undervalued here. Clippers used him incorrectly and this upcoming season, I think Harrell becomes a fan favorite in LA.

Vogel will use him properly and max his defense. I like Ibaka but elated at Harrell’s signing. Pelinka jump in this like he should and he fits do well with AD’s timeline. Hope he is a LT solution for us.

As for Ibaka, I do wonder how Lue will utilize him. It should be fun to witness.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,407

Post#193 » by And1+2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Lowry propped Ibaka up quite a bit. Don't be surprised if his offensive production dives off a cliff... He can't dribble for the life of him and relied on the pick and pop game with Lowry. Fred couldn't figure out how to get any production out of him, that's for sure...

Also, his defense is atrocious. He might have consistently been our worst defender over the last two years. He literally gets lost or exploited every second play and is super vulnerable to switches, pick and pops, or anything that forces him to guard the perimeter. He's not good at guarding the pick and roll either. Just a super low IQ defensive player. Good shot blocker and rim protector though.

I don't think he moves any needles for the Clippers, but I wish him the best.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,538

Post#194 » by infinite11285 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 pm

And1+2 wrote:Lowry propped Ibaka up quite a bit. Don't be surprised if his offensive production dives off a cliff... He can't dribble for the life of him and relied on the pick and pop game with Lowry. His post game isn't great either...

Also, his defense is atrocious. He might have consistently been our worst defender over the last two years. He literally gets lost or exploited every second play and is super vulnerable to switches, pick and pops, or anything that forces him to guard the perimeter. He's not good at guarding the pick and roll either. Just a super low IQ defensive player. Good shot blocker and rim protector though.

This is pretty much where I'm at on the signing. Without a dynamic PG to get Ibaka the ball in action and PnR, this doesn't move the needle much. I foresee a lot of iso's on the low post in Ibaka's future if Pat Bev is the starting PG.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,407

Post#195 » by And1+2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
And1+2 wrote:Lowry propped Ibaka up quite a bit. Don't be surprised if his offensive production dives off a cliff... He can't dribble for the life of him and relied on the pick and pop game with Lowry. His post game isn't great either...

This is pretty much where I'm at on the signing. Without a dynamic PG to get Ibaka the ball in action and PnR, this doesn't move the needle much. I foresee a lot of iso's on the low post in Ibaka's future if Pat Bev is the starting PG.

Yep. His iso game isn't good either, low post, high post or otherwise. If he dribbles more than twice without shooting or passing, he's likely going to turn the ball over.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,652

Re: [SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers.... 

Post#196 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I'd way rather have Ibaka than Harrell tbh.
Defenitely. Way better overall player imo.

Probably best value contract this off season too.
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#197 » by FreeThrowLine » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

TheNewEra wrote:

Do you think the Warriors really took the Clippers team 100% seriously? It was a nice matchup but the Warriors knew how to get rid of us when they locked in. Even then Harrell had the worse +\- on the team by far.

Maybe Vogel can get something out of him because Doc is just terrible. You are also banking on facing a small ball team which I doubt we see much of next season in the West

Do I think they took a team that took them to 6 games seriously? Yes I do

I don’t care for +\- especially not in a 6 game sample. A guy works inside and makes what was it 46 of 63 shots, I’ll take that production any day
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#198 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Spens1 wrote:This more than makese up for the loss of Harell (in fact i'd say its better).

Must be said though, why didn't toronto just resign him to similarish terms or terms that are slightly better.

It was more likely that the 2nd year would've interfered with the Raptors' FA plans. I like Serge and what he provided for the Raps, but the Clippers' offer was far more appealing plus being in LA will help with his post career ambitions in the culinary arts and fashion. The Raptors are more likely to take a step back this year with the emergence of Boston, Philly clearing Al's deal(great move Morey!), Milwaukee(big ?), Miami and maybe Brooklyn(another ? with KD's health). Those teams will likely be at the top and the Raps this year will be a 5-6 seed(1st-2nd round exit) and long-term wise it's better to look for another big off the scrap heap that could blossom like the way they did with Fred. Plus they could always use their remaining cap space to take on an expiring contract and get an asset if all else fails.

The dude's game is okay, but his past injuries and age have relegated him to that of a C and if you play him at the 4, your asking for trouble. He's best used in the pick and pop and he's an all right 3PT shooter. Defense has slipped a lot due to said injuries and age, but the Clippers need to upgrade their pg rotation in order to have a better shot at succeeding(don't know how they'll do that).

Best of luck to Serge after staying 2.5 years.
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 937

Re: [SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers.... 

Post#199 » by rapluva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Clemenza wrote:Boom!!!

Toronto will hate us even more after this one.. lol

If you'll don't win it this year..he's got a player option for next season.. he's coming back to Toronto..

While the Clippers have no clue how to build a team..why not trade for Lowry as well...
Ring Damage
Junior
And1: 173

Post#200 » by Ring Damage » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:42 pm

EArl wrote:Good signing. Lets see how much gas is in the tank with him.

Serge Ibaka is only 30, and last season was his career-best scoring 15.4ppg and 2nd best rebounding 8.2rpg.

Return to The General Board