ImageImageImageImageImage

Serge Ibaka Appreciation thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,407

Re: Serge Ibaka Appreciation thread 

Post#21 » by And1+2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Serge, you'll always be part of the greatest team in Toronto Raptors history! All the best, eh?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#22 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 pm

And1+2 wrote:Serge, you'll always be part of the greatest team in Toronto Raptors history! All the best, eh?

Great few years but seriously. Next.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#23 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm

One of my favourite Raptors of all time.

Going to miss having Serge as a Raptor for sure, and we won't be the same without him
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#24 » by will » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Someone put in that Power Surge/Marquese Chriss gif yet?

Either way, love what the Power Surge brought on and off the court.
He really evolved his game in Toronto, and has been such a leader for the squad.

Avec classe!
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#25 » by ash_k » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:09 pm

That game 7 against Philly! that one 3 kept us in. Without his 17pts/8rbs, we would have been eliminated.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,419

Post#26 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm definitely going to miss Serge, both on and off the court, once the dust settles from this. He was part of the title team, and the most fun team for me to watch (last year) as a Raptors fan. He'll also go down as one of the guys that helped build the incredible culture that the team now has. So a lot of thanks and respect are due to him.

However, at the moment, it's still a little raw, and it'll be hard to process that other stuff until I hear a reasonable explanation for why he choose to sign with the Clippers rather than re-sign with us. I just hope some reporter is able to get a sufficient answer out of him on that question.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#27 » by hsb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm

He did not meet expectations during the DeRozan years and was brutal versus the Cavs - which was the original idea for the trade.

But that Game 7 versus Philly. One of the few players, for both teams, in the entire game that provided some offense and therefore being an integral part to the championship.

As others said, coming off the bench was a great change for him.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
flipside21
Veteran
And1: 896

Post#28 » by flipside21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 pm

This man came into the team as a train wreck, and it took me a long time to come around on him on court - but he did what he needed to do - moved to the bench without complaint - and turned himself into a borderline all star level contributor. Very impressed by the strides he made, and he certainly was one of the pieces that elevated the team's talent level to the point where we could contend. Will remember his contributions fondly.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#29 » by will » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 pm

flipside21 wrote:This man came into the team as a train wreck, and it took me a long time to come around on him on court - but he did what he needed to do - moved to the bench without complaint - and turned himself into a borderline all star level contributor. Very impressed by the strides he made, and he certainly was one of the pieces that elevated the team's talent level to the point where we could contend. Will remember his contributions fondly.

Real talk.

Mans did it all with style and grace. Never heard him whine nor complain. Kept it professional through and through.
Would expect nothing less from him in LA as well.
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#30 » by Chevy Chase » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 pm

I called for his removal 2 years ago. Under Casey he was a black hole who's weak defense was hidden behind some highlight blocks. I can't stress enough how much of a black hole he was under casey.

But then he was an integral part of our Championship run. I admitted I was wrong and was happy to have him become part of the core. And this past year, he was actually quite good. I don't mind him jacking the odd 3 because he got his numbers to respectable territory.

And I loved how he embraced the city and helped promote the Raptors with things like his podcast. He was a great ambassador.

While I would have been happy to have him back at the numbers he signed for, in the end this is probably better for the team.

Good luck Serge.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,348

Post#31 » by tanuki1031 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 pm

flipside21 wrote:This man came into the team as a train wreck, and it took me a long time to come around on him on court - but he did what he needed to do - moved to the bench without complaint - and turned himself into a borderline all star level contributor. Very impressed by the strides he made, and he certainly was one of the pieces that elevated the team's talent level to the point where we could contend. Will remember his contributions fondly.

This 100%.

Team bought low and both parties reaped the ultimate benefits out of the relationship. An extremely productive and worthy 4-year ride.

Yes, he left and let's not wash that he gave the fanbase a heads up and genuine well-wishes when he absolutely did not need to. Arrived and exited avec classe.
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,281

Post#32 » by Kordic27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:34 pm

mdenny wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
mdenny wrote:Also bet he gets more crowd love in the ACC than Kawhi does long term.

Yeah, it's just a basketball decision. It's business, can't be mad at that.

Also think most ppl can tell it wasn't his decision.

Was it? The raptors were avoiding some sort of tax?
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
rapswestofthe6
Senior
And1: 802

Post#33 » by rapswestofthe6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Serge gave it his all on the court and he was a Gem off the court. I wish him nothing but success. It's a shame that goes against my dislike for Balmer!
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#34 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm

It hasn't hit me yet thats hes no longer a raptor but he's a Raptor legend
Read
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,461

Post#35 » by Brinbe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 pm

bigcocka will forever be a raps legend

we'll always have that serge/og video :lol:
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#36 » by 6ixSideSniper » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Serge was this eras Amir Johnson.

He will always be loved in Toronto.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,213

Post#37 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Serge definitely had his faire share of ups and downs here mainly 2017-18 but his switch to center and the last 2 yrs have been special. He was a huge piece of a championship team and his contributions won't be forgotten. Loved his off the court stuff too, his shows and interviews were always great. Provided lots of much needed toughness as well. Anyways here are my top 5 Serge games as a Raptor.

1. Game 7 vs Philly 17/8

The 360 no scope on Ben Simmons will live on forever.

2. Game 4 vs Warriors 20 points

The Block to 3 sequence was probably my favorite sequence of him as a Raptor.

3. Career-High 34 points vs the Lakers

Blowing out the LeBron lakers by almost with no Kawhi 40 points was very satisfying. Especially after all the Lebronto stuff the year before lol

4. Game Winner vs Pacers

Insane comeback topped off by a Serge game winner with all the scarf drama too.

5. Game 4 vs Bucks 17/13 +24

Raps won this in a blow out but Serges impact off the bench was huge as it was for a lot of games during the chip run. Not the flashiest Serge performance but he played great in a must win game 4.
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#38 » by Darkseid » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Couldn't have won the title without him so I'll love him forever.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#39 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:42 pm

I loved everything about his time here. I didn't really have much faith in him when he arrived but he got better and better each year, never complained even when he was shifted to the bench, delivered in the clutch again and again, brought class, creativity and a sense of humour to the team, was tough as nails, hit tons of big shots, was still Iblocka when needed, and just generally was a great great Raptor. Legend. Good luck Serge. Just don't win in LA.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,617

Post#40 » by kingr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Thanks Serge. Big part of us winning a championship. Goodluck!

Return to Toronto Raptors