ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Tristan Thompson!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Re: Welcome to Boston, Tristan Thompson! 

Post#61 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:41 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
Cuban Pete wrote:TT has a career...
BPM of -1.6
DBPM of -1.3
2019/20 PIPM of -2.15 (yuck)

OTOH, he a solid rebounder, but so was Kanter. I really want to see Robert Williams get into shape and get 20min+ per game.

Rather have Horford back with a trade involving Kemba. Say what you want about Horford, but he's elite in passing and on the D-boards.

TT is a better defender but I think he's a downgrade from Kanter overall as a player.

Obviously matchups matter but it isn't like our team was swiming with offensive threats off the bench and we just lost a 20 ppg player for nothing.

I would have rather had Kanter back.

But backup Centers don't matter too much and these backups are close enough that the difference doesn't matter.

Kanter is unplayable in the playoffs! You put him in and opposing team shreds him apart on defense...

I really like Enes but he is dead weight in the postseason...

TT we can actually play in the playoffs...
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#62 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:41 am

It is the full MLE. Maybe a good will signing for Danny. Klutch Sports has been undercutting us for a while..
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
philing00
Senior
And1: 200

Post#63 » by philing00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:35 am

Ibaka same price for 2yrs with player option. He didn’t want to come here?
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#64 » by flintsky21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:52 am

philing00 wrote:Ibaka same price for 2yrs with player option. He didn’t want to come here?

Probably. He's tight with Kawhi.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#65 » by chrisab123 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:56 am

thebirdman wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
BPM of -1.6
DBPM of -1.3

OTOH, he a solid rebounder, but so was Kanter. I really want to see Robert Williams get into shape and get 20min+ per game.

Rather have Horford back with a trade involving Kemba. Say what you want about Horford, but he's elite in passing and on the D-boards.

TT is a better defender but I think he's a downgrade from Kanter overall as a player.

Obviously matchups matter but it isn't like our team was swiming with offensive threats off the bench and we just lost a 20 ppg player for nothing.

But backup Centers don't matter too much and these backups are close enough that the difference doesn't matter.

Kanter is unplayable in the playoffs! You put him in and opposing team shreds him apart on defense...

TT is a big upgrade over Kanter. Kanter can't guard a parking cone.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#66 » by Homerclease » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Play D, get boards and put back garbage. Can’t complain about this signing given the circumstances
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#67 » by Green89 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:26 pm

thebirdman wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
BPM of -1.6
DBPM of -1.3

Exactly, what did Kanter average in the playoffs, 8 minutes per game? TT started every game during Cleveland's championship playoff run.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#68 » by Green89 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Dude he took one three every 3 games and made one every 7. It's not part of his game.

He took 9 threes his entire 8 year career, then suddenly takes 23 last year and makes 9, for 39%. It's called adapting your game.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#69 » by CelticsLV » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm

How can one claim this is a downgrade from Kanter? Kanter basically warmed the bench for 2 playoff series because he was unplayable. Obviously Thompson is not a rim protector either but he at least can move on defense.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#70 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Tbh I wanted Baynes for vet or Giles for youth + make Tatum happy, but TT might provide better rim protection than both and is certainly a on offensive-glass-pest. He also brings some kind of verticallity that Baynes maybe didn't. And he's certainly more fitted to guard Bam than Baynes (yeah, I don't care and I don't fear the 76ers)

He also brings experience as well as some grit, which was also one of our weaknesses last year, we were just weak mentally and physically.

I hope its a 1+1 though. Full MLE for 2 years is a lot.

PD: I also think Ibaka just wasn't considering us at all.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#71 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Welcome to Boston Tristan Thompson
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#72 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Bar Fight wrote:
Green89 wrote:He's actually added the 3-ball to his game. Small sample size last year, but he was at 39%.

Plays hard in the playoffs, and that's what we need.

I'll rip my hair out if Tristan **** Thompson starts shooting threes for us.

I hope you have a lot of hair
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,149

Post#73 » by Tyakack » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 pm

I wanted TT awhile ago. This is about the best move you could make after losing out on hayward. TT will be motivated again now that he is on a contender and I think you will see the best of him. I'm excited about this move.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,313

Post#74 » by Red2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:15 pm

I keep hearing how bad Kanter was defensively but whenever Brad put him in he produced . Brad should have played him more against Miami and forced bam to guard him . I think thst was a major mistake by Brad . I like Tristan Thompson but would have preferred Ibaka . My big hope mow is that somehow we can get baynes back . Jeff Teague always killed us so if he has anything left I’m down with that move . But both Thompson and Teague are band aids . So far this offseason has been a disaster . Net Danny wishes he had used thst 30 pick on a wing or a big
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#75 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:25 pm

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#76 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm

threrf23 wrote:Statistically he has never been a good defensive player, and he has been a terrible defensive player over the past three seasons. Hopefully a little bit of growth, coaching, and motivation will change that. He has his strengths, and we weren't going to do much better for the MLE.

He is used to playing ~30 minutes per game and is trying to earn one last big contract as he turns 30, so he is likely expecting to log minutes.

He is decent defender. Not a great rim protector. I think cavs’ style hurt him defensively. We have Theis too though. We need strength and size, and a pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#77 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:56 pm

BPM of -1.6
DBPM of -1.3

What were those numbers with Lebron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#78 » by darrendaye » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Well, for a while I've stated I wanted the team to get a 4/5 type rebounder rather than a traditional center who couldn't play the 4. I know he's older, but he did play alongside Love so I would think he could be paired with Theis. I'm not doing cartwheels, but it's a solid signing especially considering he's a vet.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#79 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:lol he took 23. I wouldn't say he added it, but I guess we'll see. He's not that good, this better not be a multi-year signing. Strictly a Kanter-like role.

I have reservations about him because he is not Dennis Rodman on the defensive end. He is 29 coming off his best year and no longer making max dollars. Championship caliber player. He can swing between the 4 and 5 and Brad has been able to work wonders with guys who are historically not great defenders get them to be really effective Kanter and KO for example. I always remember him being a tough player.

Unlike Kanter he doesn't have a history of being really effective in short mins. He has been a starter most of his career and pushes almost 30 mpg. The 3pt thing is a mixed bag. Sure it would be nice for him to rotate out their and hit a few open 3's but his best asset is as an offensive rebounder that is how turbo charges your offense can't do that out the 3pt line.

I like him more in a 2 big line up with Theis and the Williams boys as your other D pair. Combined with Teague Ainge had a nice come back from what looked like a rough day. It will be interesting to see if we start him in a two big line up. If Nesmith can play our ten deep looks better than it has.

Walker/Brown/Tatum/Thompson/Theis
Teague/Smart/Nesmith/G.Williams/R.Williams

We are in some trouble if Rob Will can't stay healthy.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#80 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 pm

sully00 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:lol he took 23. I wouldn't say he added it, but I guess we'll see. He's not that good, this better not be a multi-year signing. Strictly a Kanter-like role.

I have reservations about him because he is not Dennis Rodman on the defensive end. He is 29 coming off his best year and no longer making max dollars. Championship caliber player. He can swing between the 4 and 5 and Brad has been able to work wonders with guys who are historically not great defenders get them to be really effective Kanter and KO for example. I always remember him being a tough player.

Unlike Kanter he doesn't have a history of being really effective in short mins. He has been a starter most of his career and pushes almost 30 mpg. The 3pt thing is a mixed bag. Sure it would be nice for him to rotate out their and hit a few open 3's but his best asset is as an offensive rebounder that is how turbo charges your offense can't do that out the 3pt line.

I like him more in a 2 big line up with Theis and the Williams boys as your other D pair. Combined with Teague Ainge had a nice come back from what looked like a rough day. It will be interesting to see if we start him in a two big line up. If Nesmith can play our ten deep looks better than it has.

Walker/Brown/Tatum/Thompson/Theis
Teague/Smart/Nesmith/G.Williams/R.Williams

We are in some trouble if Rob Will can't stay healthy.

Which of Theis and/or Thompson can comfortably guard stretch 4s as their primary/pre-switch defensive assignment?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics