Win or Loss for Leon Rose & the Knicks this off-season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,610

Win or Loss for Leon Rose & the Knicks this off-season? 

Post#1 » by RandlesCornrows » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 am

According to reports, every free agent that was linked to the Knicks signed else where. Hayward got a mega deal, which would’ve gone down as historically bad, FVV wasn’t leaving Toronto.

Obviously the case is still unknown on Russell Westbrook, but I don’t think at this point Rose is desperate make the Knicks a pretender.

I’m in the middle. I wanted Hayward, but on a 3/70m deal, and look to make a deal with Utah for Conley for Randle, or just sign a starting PG. To build some kind of winning, positive culture without mortgaging the future.

It’s obviously no one wants to sign here, and it’s understandable. And I think Leon Rose & the Knicks know everyone feels that way, and the modern NBA layers want to play for Brooklyn.

But what I see is Rose not caring, and focusing on the youth right now, and the next wave of upcoming prospects.

Right now we look pathetic, but I respect that Rose isn’t making a fool out of himself like Charlotte is.

I’m sure we’re looking to deal Randle but who wants him. If we can deal Randle for a guy like Mike Conley. The Knicks could at least play some respectable ball under Thibs.

Our lineup looks pathetic but I guess it’s what we got to roll with.

Elfrid Payton — Frank Ntilikina — Dennis Smith, Jr
Alec Burks — Immanuel Quickley
RJ Barrett — Kevin Knox
Obi Toppin — Julius Randle
Mitchell Robinson — Nerlens Noel - Ed Davis

2021- NYK 1st, DAL 1st
2022- NYK 1st
2022- NYK 1st, DAL 1st
**Plus a ton of 2nd round picks

**20m cap space available

Are the Knicks doing the right thing here? Because we won’t be good for another 2-3 years.

Non-Knick fans. Do you trust Leon Rose and their FO knows what he’s doing? Lord knows we haven’t had that in over 20 years.
Mujahydeen
Senior
And1: 852

Re: Win or Loss for Leon Rose & the Knicks this off-season? 

Post#2 » by Mujahydeen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:53 am

Massive loss so far. Worst 3PT shooting team of last year, got even worse without Morris and Portis.

No room to operate for Barrett. Randle is still on the team to make them unwatchable.

Barf.
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 585

Post#3 » by CumberlandPosey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:55 am

Looks great.cheap,no long-term commitments and flexibility on the cap side.of course very marginal talent but that will improve with patience.rose knows what he is doing i hope.draft Picks have to be difference makers ,that is key.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,925

Post#4 » by Domejandro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 am

Pretty unexciting, but nothing catastrophic happened, so fine.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#5 » by ArtMorte » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:20 am

Most teams have at least one watchable player, but that Knicks roster is dire.

The positive: No bad contracts and a lot of cap space for '21-'22. Draft picks, too. You can't make this season's team good, but hey, it's not like there's tickets to sell and fans to attract anyway. Just embrace the awfulness for this season and reach for the stars in a year.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#6 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 am

Sorry, forgive my ignorance.... Exactly how much FO experience3 does/did Leon Rose have prior to him taking this position?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#7 » by Dominator83 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:30 am

They should still get Westbrook, as soon as Houston admits defeat and trades him for a pair of 2nd rounders.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#8 » by LakersSoul » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:32 am

Overview:
    No dumb signings.
    Not active in collecting assets like Presti.
    Good, not great, draft nights.

Encouraging but why so gun shy with so many opportunities to add a decent player with assets attached when the Knicks had cap flexibility?

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#9 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am

They should have gone for Fred at 25 million to get a better culture and more 3 point shooting. They should go for Westbrook but the three point problem is not getting any better with that addition.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,826

Post#10 » by BK_2020 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Lose. Should've gotten Horford for picks and Westbrook.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,829

Post#11 » by Karate Diop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:01 pm

They haven't made any moves that will have a long-term negative impact and they did come away with a great prospect at the top of the draft so in that sense this off-season was a "win" for him... At the same time they are looking like they'll field a bottom tier roster again and will struggle to be competitive.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#12 » by slick_watts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm

as long as james dolan owns the team the eternal cycle of disappointing knicks free agency will continue unabated.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#13 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:07 pm

They didn’t do anything horrible but aren’t exactly knocking it out of the park with gathering assets either. Basically, they will continue to be terrible until they get competent ownership and management despite their built in advantages.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,934

Post#14 » by BigGargamel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Win by losing.

Hornets, Pistons, Magic, Cavaliers will all suck but made moves to ensure they don't suck as much as the Knicks.

Knicks are in a brutal conference, ensuring even more losses. If the ping pong balls bounce their way they could get a Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green.

Tons of cap space for the great 2021 free agent class. Of course we've seen the Knicks play this game for 20 years with no results.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#15 » by jwise44 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Isn’t next draft supposed to be amazing? So why not tank hard this year (they have their own pick unless I’m completely off) and make moves like taking on slightly winning players that could hurt the tank for picks next year?

Just keep the youth, develop rj, Mitch, toppin, hopefully Knox and frank and maybe you can make trades at the deadline for more picks...especially if Julius has somehow added to his game
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,357

Post#16 » by pipfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm

I like what they did. With all the crazy $ being thrown around, they sat tight. I love the Obi pick (I wanted them to trade up to my Bulls at #4 to pick him-so we could get the Dallas pick and PWill-but it worked out great for them). They have a solid, young core and no long term, bad deals. Better than getting Hayward and tying up tons of $. They need lottery luck next summer
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#17 » by iamworthy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Sorry, forgive my ignorance.... Exactly how much FO experience3 does/did Leon Rose have prior to him taking this position?

About the same amount as Rob Pelinka when he took the Lakers job. He's not going to turn it around overnight, it's going to take some time.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#18 » by The_Hater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Avoiding the ridiculousness of the past 2 days is a clear win for the Knicks. Many teams did not and have gone backwards putting bad contracts on the books as a result. They weren’t going to build a playoff team this season so there was no point in signing a bunch of middling players again.

That said, I would hope that the Hayward rumors weren’t actually true because making the worst signing of the entire off season would have been the opposite of showing restraint and patience.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#19 » by Boarder Patrol » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Good off-season. No long term deals to win 32 games. I think we should be more aggressive in taking on salary for picks though.

We’re in a tough spot where the best thing we can really do is just not screw our selves over and continue to draft young players. It’s not a pleasant vantage but I’d much rather this than go signing mediocrities to long term deals.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#20 » by Dino353 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Westbrook is the missing piece. They lack a starting level guard pretty bad and Payton,Frank, and Dennis won't cut it if they have playoff aspirations. With Westbrook,Barrett,and Robinson I think the Knicks could be a 5th-6th seed in the East.

I'd say B- so far, my gut instinct tells me Toppin is going to be an all-star and this isn't the Knicks drafting Mike Sweetney or Macej Lampe two complete busts from the early 2000's.

Return to The General Board