[SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers, 2yrs/19mil

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

rapluva
Analyst
And1: 931

Re: [SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers, 2yrs/19mil 

Post#201 » by rapluva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Clippers need a point guard..not sure who is left to trade to the team.. you need a decent point guard..who passes..and will hit a 3 every now and then.. thought DJ Augustine would have looked good..but he is on the Bucks now...
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#202 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Definitely hurts to see him sign with the Clippers for not very much money, but he was a luxury for the Raptors.

His defense is decent, but he was definitely the laziest of the Raptors over the last few years. I'd advise Clipper fans to just ignore his regular season, because his knees can't take a full year of effort. He's better in the post season. Not great on the perimeter at all. It might be a downgrade from Harrell there.

Where he's extremely undervalued is as a shooting outlet. He's near automatic, and saves so many dead possessions. Huge upgrade from Harrell in that regard.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#203 » by Jiminy Glick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:50 pm

This is a big deal. It gives the Clippers the low post defense they needed. Their defense will be much improved and perhaps the best in the league. I'd get rid of Lou Williams and Reggie Jackson and try to bring in other players who can score and defend.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Re: [SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers.... 

Post#204 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Everyone was so quick to clown us too. Now just add Gasol as a 3rd center and a PG via trade.

Y’all still haven’t improved, the clowning was not unjustified

We have. A lot of addition by subtraction+ talent improving by smallish margins. Still lots of time, which was my point. Doubt the Clippers are done.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#205 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:25 pm

When serge takes less money for two years than he was offered for one year in toronto (a place he loves), I have no doubt that there is something shady about this deal. It stinks the entire way.

The nba needs to needs to look in to the finances of the clippers and really start looking at their deals. This is about the third time.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#206 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:34 pm

jc23 wrote:Judging by Raptor fans reaction the clips got a good deal.

You think? There is no way Ibaka should go anywhere for just the MLE. It’s an unrealisticly good deal.

And anyone that thinks Harrell is better than Ibaka does know anything about basketball!l
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#207 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:When serge takes less money for two years than he was offered for one year in toronto (a place he loves), I have no doubt that there is something shady about this deal. It stinks the entire way.

The nba needs to needs to look in to the finances of the clippers and really start looking at their deals. This is about the third time.

Good morning Johnny.

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Post#208 » by og15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:When serge takes less money for two years than he was offered for one year in toronto (a place he loves), I have no doubt that there is something shady about this deal. It stinks the entire way.

Might as well look suspiciously into all deals around the league where a player seems to take less than fans expect. Somehow the secret Clippers sauce it didn't seem to work with Marcus Morris or Beverley contracts, but maybe next time :wink:
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#209 » by og15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:44 pm

clippertown wrote:Clips can now trade Zubac and Beverly (plus 4 seconds recently acquired) for a true $22M point guard that can actually start. Team is rounding into place and looking better than last season.

Trading Zubac would be a terrible idea. He's still the teams best defensive big man and rim protector.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#210 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:46 pm

og15 wrote:
clippertown wrote:Clips can now trade Zubac and Beverly (plus 4 seconds recently acquired) for a true $22M point guard that can actually start. Team is rounding into place and looking better than last season.

Trading Zubac would be a terrible idea. He's still the teams best defensive big man and rim protector.

Zubac is untradable until we see what he can do at 30 mpg. If he fails to handle the increased load all season, then sure. Ps... Don't forget best screener (Highest % in league of screens leading to buckets). in NBA and offensive rebounder.

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: [SHAMS] Serge Ibaka agrees to deal with Clippers.... 

Post#211 » by LloydFree » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I'd way rather have Ibaka than Harrell tbh.

Everyone should. He's the better player.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Yeggo Poleggo
Rookie
And1: 1,244

Post#212 » by Yeggo Poleggo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm

Trez about to have a career season with the Lakers.
World's biggest Kobe Bryant fan.

levon wrote:this board: "THT's negative value"

this board after he's traded: "I like THT, and he's so young! stupid Lakers let another one go"

literally every Lakers young player in the last 7 years
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#213 » by og15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:59 pm

uberhikari wrote:
og15 wrote:
mademan wrote:
Ive always said Harrell is much better defensively than people give him credit for. I'd take Harrell defensively against a perimeter oriented team vs Ibaka every time. For as much trouble as Harrell had in the playoffs defensively, Ibaka couldnt close games for the raps against the C's without being picked on by Kemba in the PnR. He's strong as an ox and is an above average rim protector, but he's far from good in the PnR. Slow plodding Gasol was better defensively than him, even last year. Gasol was just washed offensively where it didnt matter having the worse defensive guy on the floor.

This isnt hate. Ive been saying this on the Raps board for a while and ive been saying losing Ibaka wouldnt be the worst thing. It's Gasol losing it that's messed up the Raps

All that said, as a stretch big, Ibaka is great offensively. And he'll help out a lot on that end for the Clips

Harrell is targeted in the post-season too. Defensively when there is a game plan to exploit him, there's no way he's any better than Ibaka, and offensively he might produce, but he becomes a space clogger for the team there too. I like Harrell, like the fire, but the fit was tough on the Clippers in the playoffs, on both ends really.

You're acting like Trez is Andrea Bargnani :lol: Nobody targets Trez on defense; this didn't even happen in the playoffs. Trez's problem was that Doc Rivers is an awful coach who had him trying to guard Jokic. Trez is not the guy you need guarding elite offensive centers or being a rim protector. And no matter which stats you look at (d-pipm, drpm, d-raptor) Ibaka and Trez are similarly rated on defense.

In LAL Trez will be surrounded by LBJ, AD, McGee so he won't be forced into silly matchups that exploit his weaknesses on defense. In space and on the perimeter Trez is perfectly capable of being a solid defender.

I'm not sure how this is acting like he is Bargnani, there's a large gap between teams trying to take advantage of you and being Bargnani. For example, OKC targeted Robert Covington in the playoffs. People don't consider RoCo a bad defender, in fact, they consider him good, but Paul was setting up pick and rolls to get Covington in the action and have him switched to him and abusing him. Why? RoCo is not a specifically great man defender, and he doesn't have the quickest feet, doesn't mean he's Bargnani.

Harrell dropped 10 mpg in the playoffs, not simply because of lack of stamina due to being off, but because the lineups with him on had defensive issues. Offensively you could play him at C to rectify spacing problems, but it was the defense that limited his time. He didn't even reach his regular season average once all playoffs.

Harrell has physical tools, but he's not really a high IQ player. Defensively, the more you get him in actions, the more you can get him to make mistakes, but his additional issue was that his defensive effort can wane. So there's an effort aspect to it, and maybe it's the intensity of the playoffs, maybe it's his size wearing him down, maybe it was the lack of stamina (though his minutes were down), but he did not give consistent effort on defense and was not making the second and third effort. The problem is that on offense he had a lot more energy and activity at the same time

The opposing teams realized this, which meant the more you got Harrell in the play and in actions, the more likely you could catch him "giving up" on a play or reducing his effort.

Take that for what you will. The Lakers have players that can cover for him with Davis and LeBron. I can't speak to how much they can push his effort, that's harder to quantify. The Clippers should be able to play Ibaka in enough lineups to help cover for him too.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#214 » by slick_watts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:08 pm

this is an upgrade for the clippers. i like montrezl harrell but his limitations took him off the court in the playoffs. serge is a lot more versatile due to his shooting ability and while he's lost his fastball on defense, he's not a liability like harrell. the clippers closed some of the gap with the lakers with this move (and the lakers taking harrell, instead).
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#215 » by PMONSTER » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Him being able to shoot the three changes everything for the clippers. They now can get a point guard who may not shoot the three as well but is better at penetration. A pick and roll point guard would be an asset now because Ibaka brings that roll or pop, keeping the defense on it's heels.

I think he's on another tier than Trez. Good pick up.
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#216 » by kenwood3333 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Raptors can not match 19m/2 yr? Or Ibaka would not sign a discounted deal with the Raptors?
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#217 » by Scalabrine » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 pm

They are better off with him than Harrell honestly. It's a 2 year deal too, so it lines up with the rest of their core. This is a great get.

Ibaka/Zubac
Morris/Patterson
Leonard/George/Mann
George/Kennard
Beverly/Williams

They will definitely be a hot-spot for the players that get squeezed out of free agency that choose winning and/or location over minutes. Another 2/3 and backup point guard and that team is about as good as anyone. Saric, Roberson, Bazemore, Turner, Craig are all still out their for the forward spots. Jackson, Moore, Dellevedova, Galloway, Rivers, Mudiay, Johnson are all still out there at the 1.
Go Knicks!
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 567

Post#218 » by ACMFFL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 pm

I guess he takes less $$$ because he wants to try to win another ring and Clips are a legit contender.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,143

Post#219 » by donnieme » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm

Underrated signing. Clips fixed their issues of too many cooks. Now just need a point guard and a new coach
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,705

Post#220 » by Quattro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Best of luck to Serge. Quality guy on the floor and off.

Return to The General Board