ImageImage

Hawks Offseason Officially Begins

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Re: Hawks Offseason Officially Begins 

Post#121 » by vtime » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 pm

If we lose Bogi we go after one more shooter/scorer for the wing. Hield is a great shooter, but I know you guys won’t like hi contract. A lower contract guy that could be had would be Will Barton. Redick could probably be acquired for cheap. Austin Rivers is a free agent. Lots of teams have money in 201, this is the summer to make a move. Plus if we are good, we will extend Collins and won’t have any free agency money for most of the 2020’s
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#122 » by shakes0 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:44 pm

I am amazed at the job TS did over the past couple days.

Comparing this roster to where we were a year ago at this time is night and day. We went from zero depth and zero NBA centers to one of the deeper teams in the league, defenders throughout and a front court of Capela/Okongwu.

I'm a mix of shock and excitement right now.

A+ off season.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#123 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm

shakes0 wrote:I am amazed at the job TS did over the past couple days.

Comparing this roster to where we were a year ago at this time is night and day. We went from zero depth and zero NBA centers to one of the deeper teams in the league, defenders throughout and a front court of Capela/Okongwu.

I'm a mix of shock and excitement right now.

A+ off season.
If we end up with Bogi I grade the draft and free agency a A+. We will have a great deal of depth and trade assets in the future. It has just been exciting that we've been active.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#124 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:12 am

Free Agency Winners & Losers!

Winners

Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks added PGs Rajon Rondo and Kris Dunn, SFs Danilo Gallinari and Tony Snell, and have signed swingman Bogdan Bogdanovic to an offer sheet, that the Kings may or may not match. A potential starting lineup of Trae Young, Bogdanovic, Gallinari, John Collins and Clint Capela is pretty intriguing and the Hawks just might be the new Mavericks of the East. Trae is Dallas’ Atlanta's version of Luka and they’ll just have to hope that Gallo will be able to stay on the court more than Kristaps Porzingis has been able to (he'll miss the start of the season). The Gallo signing is slightly controversial, as the Hawks paid $61.5 million for three years – the most ever to a never-All Star over the age of 30, according to Adrian Wojnarowski. But if they somehow get Bogdanovic as well, along with their young stable of high-ceiling potential reserves (Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, De’Andre Hunter and rookie Onyeka Okongwu), the Hawks might be ready to do something special sooner than later. It may all hinge on Gallo’s ability to stay healthy but despite his storied injury history, he only missed 10 games last season and 14 in 2018-19. As Lloyd Christmas once famously said to Mary Swanson – “So you’re telling me there’s a chance.”
Yahoo Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#125 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#126 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:56 am

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#127 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

The league should be pleased with the money that was spent by Atlanta, Charlotte, and Detroit. I have no idea what Detroit is doing with all of the big men unless they have a plan to trade them in the future for assets.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#128 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:09 pm

Wrapping up thoughts...

= The vision Schlenk seemed to have coming into this thing was for two BogBog-type signings instead of just the one. But there was so very little on the store shelves to pick from, and the asset that probably made the most sense--Hayward--just became too expensive in every way.

= Also thought he'd re-target Poeltl as he'd reportedly done last Feb, but once Okongwu was the choice for the draft, I suppose that would have been seen as unnecessarily redundant.

= My earliest expectation was that he'd make an offer on Ingram, but indeed, it does appear that the Pels were dead serious after all about their intentions there. Never have been totally comfortable that Ingram was Schlenk's kind of personality to add to the roster anyhow.

= All the same could be said for Christian Wood... thought Schlenk would make an offer, but with the caveat that I was never certain that Wood's personality was one that Schlenk would want to add.

= Remain convinced there will be at least one more minor move that will shed one minimum salary at PG for one at PF or C. Have to make a decision on Goodwin's contract by 11/29.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#129 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#130 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:09 pm

jayu70
RealGM

Post#131 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Includes our new 2 2way signees
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#132 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 am

The Five Most Interesting Teams of NBA Free Agency So Far

What happens when you squeeze the draft and free agency into the same chaos? The league looks drastically different a few days later. Here are five teams that dared to dream big for 2021

Atlanta Hawks

In two weeks, it’ll have been a year since a high-ranking Hawks official was heard during “an emotional locker room scene involving star point guard Trae Young” saying that “the team would be getting him some help on the roster soon.” ...it’s tough to argue that the Hawks haven’t made good on that promise over the past 12 months.

• a three-year, $61.5 million eye-opener for Danilo Gallinari
  • a two-year, $15 million pact for Rajon Rondo
  • a four-year, $72 million offer sheet to restricted free agent shooting guard Bogdan Bogdanovic
  • a two-year, $10 million agreement with former no. 5 overall pick Kris Dunn
  • and the three years and $51.3 million left on the contract of Clint Capela

That raises a pretty big question, though: What about the in-house talent that Atlanta spent the last three years acquiring and developing? Trading for Capela, signing Gallinari, and drafting USC standout Onyeka Okongwu has led many around the league to wonder how long John Collins will remain in Atlanta’s plans. The 23-year-old reportedly wants a max extension; all the new arrivals in the frontcourt might indicate that Schlenk would prefer not to give him one.

What becomes of De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish—a pair of rangy second-year swingmen drafted specifically to complement Young who started for much of their rookie seasons? Ditto for Kevin Huerter, a good high-volume 3-point shooter and complementary facilitator who [will likely] be bumped to the bench by the arrival of Bogdanovic.

Maybe all those former first-rounders are still in Atlanta’s plans, and the idea is to give head coach Lloyd Pierce a cupboard overflowing with quality options, allowing him to mix and match his lineups and rotations throughout the season.
It seems more likely, though, that Atlanta’s not going to head into the season intending to go 12 deep and just sort of see what happens. You don’t spend $200-plus million to “just sort of see what happens.” You spend it to make something happen, for your franchise and your franchise star, and I’d bet on Schlenk and Co. looking to make even more happen before the start of the season.
The Ringer
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#133 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
The Five Most Interesting Teams of NBA Free Agency So Far

What happens when you squeeze the draft and free agency into the same chaos? The league looks drastically different a few days later. Here are five teams that dared to dream big for 2021

Atlanta Hawks

In two weeks, it’ll have been a year since a high-ranking Hawks official was heard during “an emotional locker room scene involving star point guard Trae Young” saying that “the team would be getting him some help on the roster soon.” ...it’s tough to argue that the Hawks haven’t made good on that promise over the past 12 months.

• a three-year, $61.5 million eye-opener for Danilo Gallinari
  • a two-year, $15 million pact for Rajon Rondo
  • a four-year, $72 million offer sheet to restricted free agent shooting guard Bogdan Bogdanovic
  • a two-year, $10 million agreement with former no. 5 overall pick Kris Dunn
  • and the three years and $51.3 million left on the contract of Clint Capela

That raises a pretty big question, though: What about the in-house talent that Atlanta spent the last three years acquiring and developing? Trading for Capela, signing Gallinari, and drafting USC standout Onyeka Okongwu has led many around the league to wonder how long John Collins will remain in Atlanta’s plans. The 23-year-old reportedly wants a max extension; all the new arrivals in the frontcourt might indicate that Schlenk would prefer not to give him one.

What becomes of De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish—a pair of rangy second-year swingmen drafted specifically to complement Young who started for much of their rookie seasons? Ditto for Kevin Huerter, a good high-volume 3-point shooter and complementary facilitator who [will likely] be bumped to the bench by the arrival of Bogdanovic.

Maybe all those former first-rounders are still in Atlanta’s plans, and the idea is to give head coach Lloyd Pierce a cupboard overflowing with quality options, allowing him to mix and match his lineups and rotations throughout the season.
It seems more likely, though, that Atlanta’s not going to head into the season intending to go 12 deep and just sort of see what happens. You don’t spend $200-plus million to “just sort of see what happens.” You spend it to make something happen, for your franchise and your franchise star, and I’d bet on Schlenk and Co. looking to make even more happen before the start of the season.
The Ringer

I'm excited for sure. I don't think the JJ/Smith/Horford days were this enticing.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#134 » by HMFFL » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:06 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
He deserves it.

tomaHAWKslam
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#135 » by tomaHAWKslam » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:40 pm

HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
He deserves it.

this kinda surprises me. Especially with three point guards signed in front of him and a full roster.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#136 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:52 pm

tomaHAWKslam wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
He deserves it.

this kinda surprises me. Especially with three point guards signed in front of him and a full roster.

I think Rondo will see a lot of load management, especially with the compressed schedule.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#137 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:57 am

Has Every NBA Team Addressed Its Biggest Weakness This Offseason?

Atlanta Hawks

Predraft Weakness: Playing Basketball without Trae Young

The Atlanta Hawks loaded up this offseason, particularly on offense. Their two biggest acquisitions were Bogdan Bogdanovic and Danilo Gallinari, both of whom can help maintain good offense when Trae Young goes to the bench.

Bogdanovic may well be the team's second-most important playmaker already, and Gallinari's moneyball approach to offense will surely drive the offensive rating up a bit.

Atlanta didn't stop there, though. Kris Dunn is one of the league's best perimeter defenders and should be able to spare Young from more difficult assignments. Rajon Rondo can provide some veteran leadership. And Onyeka Okongwu adds a little defensive versatility to a frontcourt that includes John Collins and Clint Capela.

All these moves, of course, will limit the developmental minutes of Cam Reddish, Kevin Huerter and De'Andre Hunter. Atlanta clearly wanted to push for the playoffs, though, and those minutes are a necessary casualty toward that end. Ultimately, coming along a bit more slowly as reserves who can learn from this infusion of veteran talent may help the youngsters down the road.

Weakness Addressed: Yes. And then some.
Bleacher Report
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#138 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Did we address our biggest weaknesses?

3 point shooting, yes.

But then again, it was always more or less understood by anyone who studied the problem the least little bit that our problem was not that we didn't have ample capable 3 point shots, but that we somehow were having too many of those shots going up by our less capable shooters... thus, logically, always seemed more of a COACHING problem to me than an actual talent problem.

The success of this off-season ultimately will be a function of (a) whether BogBog adds something significant to the mix, and (b) whether Okongwu does.

Defense was the bigger priority, imo.

I'm one of those who subscribe to the football philosophy that you always want to be able to neutralize or almost neutralize the other team's primary weapon. I believe that that's now plausible, and it wasn't before. Dunn can do that to the Kyries and the Lillards. And you already have Capela who is generally considered among the upper tier low post defenders. The question is whether the player anointed "the best defensive wing in the draft" in 2019 and the player who flashed such strong defense as a rookie--Hunter and Reddish respectively--can take the next step, if not two. If Okongwu shows up as a strong defensive asset in his rookie season, that will be icing on that cake.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#139 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Da Bays (the boys)

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#140 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:22 pm

jayu70 wrote:
tomaHAWKslam wrote:
HMFFL wrote:He deserves it.

I think Rondo will see a lot of load management, especially with the compressed schedule.
I agree.
I expect Rondo to play less than 20 mins per game.

Return to Atlanta Hawks