ImageImageImage

What's our record, if no more trades.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

What will our record be?

22 or fewer wins = Win % = or less than last year and a likely top 5 draft pick
49%
23-28 wins = Slightly better than last year, but no top 5 draft pick and no playoffs
37%
29-35 Wins = Just below .500, but still in the "Win & In" tournament 7/8/9/10 seed East
12%
36+ Wins = .500 or above, exceeding all expectations for the season.
2%

Total votes: 41

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

What's our record, if no more trades. 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Assuming no more major moves before we start this season, what do you think our record is going to be? Remember its a 72 game season this year.

22--50 is a .305 win % which is the same we had last season.
26-46 is .361 or normally a 32 win season
36-36 is .500 or normally a 41 win season
46-26 is .639 or normally a 52 win season
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,755

Re: What's our record, if no more trades. 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Hard to say. Depends on how many minutes the rookies get and how they play.

I waffled back and fourth between the 2 options with the fewest wins.

Keep in mind we wouldn’t have been bottom 5 last year had we been healthy. We had so many different lineups I lost track. We’re unlikely to be healthy this year either, but we’re certainly not going lower than that and may be a bit higher.

I chose the first option but am already second guessing it. Seriously doubt there’s any chance of playoffs or close to it.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 pm

All depends on Blake and Rose.

If they stick around and can somehow manage to make it through like 60/72 games a piece at reasonable health, I think Detroit will flirt with the 30 win territory.

Reasonably healthy Blake & Rose: 28-44
Expected health of Blake & Rose: 20-52
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#4 » by Piston Pete » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Depends on how many games Blake/Rose play.

If they play the entire season, we could be in that 30-40 win range.

If not, we’ll be less...
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#5 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 pm

35 win team (82 game)
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,083

Post#6 » by NYPiston » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:13 pm

I said this many times a while back and I'll say it again, there's no way this team is bottom 5 with a healthy Griffin and Rose. In fact, with some of the additions, I bet they are fighting for the 8th seed in the still very weak east.

This isn't a full rebuild yet guys, even moreso after Weaver "attacked" free agency, so prepare to be disappointed when the Pistons finish somewhere between 8-12 in the draft lottery and hope the lottery balls fall their way. If Griffin and Rose miss significant time again, which is certainly possible, then that's a different story.

Also, I think Weaver is largely done this offseason. I'm not sure what other moves he can make right now. Rose would be more of a deadline trade if they're out of the playoff race.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#7 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Going for all energy, hustle, hard working players this feels a little bit like the roster that the Orlando Magic put together the year before the stole Grant Hill from us.

They finished 41-41 8th seed in the East and they simply outworked teams. Led by Ben Wallace, Chucky Atkins, Bo Outlaw, 2nd year guard Ron Mercer, rookie lottery pick Corey Maggette, etc.

Changing the culture to a bunch of hard working individuals with no more of the Drummond/Jackson BS means our team is primed to finish just below .500 and not properly rebuild/tank ourselves into a top 5 draft pick.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#8 » by Crymson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Depends on Griffin and Rose, their health and performance.

This offseason's moves actively decreased the probability of selecting high in the draft order. Instead of that being a foregone conclusion, the Pistons will probably now need things to go wrong in order to achieve that end. What's particularly terrifying is that should all go "well" for this team, it could easily end up a 30+ win team in the low lottery. The fact that this is even a realistic outcome is the byproduct of absolute stupidity by the front office.

This philosophy of "competing while rebuilding" is not much less foolish than the organization's prior tack of not rebuilding at all.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#9 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 pm

I will make a thread about this, but the schedule is beyond brutal.

Regular season, excluding All-star week and the 7-8/9-10 play-in is 142 days.

Teams need to play 72 games in that time!

Also, Pistons arent playing the first few days of the season, those are marquee matchups with good teams.

So the Pistons year will be 140 or fewer days to play 72 games, plus travel.

Blake might lose a leg. DRose is going to miss time.

I'm guessing this team has A LOT of minutes played by weird line-ups of rookies. Bottom 5 team that has a lot of potential with a top 3 pick!

:rockon:
bstein14
RealGM

Post#10 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Put me in the boat of wanting to win 22 or fewer games..... or 36 or more games. Anywhere in the middle and we're still stuck in the same mud we've been in for the last 12 years. Either bottom out, or do well enough that we're above .500 and we get the kids some playoff experience.

Right now, I have doubts we're bad enough to win at a lower % than that season and I also doubt we're able to win 50%+ of our games either it feels we're still stuck right on that treadmill which is the worst place to be.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#11 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:54 pm

50 wins easily .
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,755

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 pm

NYPiston wrote:I said this many times a while back and I'll say it again, there's no way this team is bottom 5 with a healthy Griffin and Rose. In fact, with some of the additions, I bet they are fighting for the 8th seed in the still very weak east.

This isn't a full rebuild yet guys, even moreso after Weaver "attacked" free agency, so prepare to be disappointed when the Pistons finish somewhere between 8-12 in the draft lottery and hope the lottery balls fall their way. If Griffin and Rose miss significant time again, which is certainly possible, then that's a different story.

Also, I think Weaver is largely done this offseason. I'm not sure what other moves he can make right now. Rose would be more of a deadline trade if they're out of the playoff race.

There's no reason to believe both of those guys will be able to see real time, and if they will even be any good.

I agree we're not trying a rebuild like we should, but we may still stumble into a top 5 pick anyway.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#13 » by MotownMadness » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

33-35 wins
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#14 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:16 pm

It depends on Blake Griffin, if he come in and looks like how he did last year we'll still suck ass and be in the running for a top 5 pick but if he plays good well probably be in the good ole 8/9/10 spots.

This team sucks tho probably worse than last years after letting the vets go.
Championships
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#15 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Look at the worst teams last year, they all got better.

Warriors obviously are not going to be as bad this year, unless Curry injures his hand again for the season?

Hawks are going for bust. Whether it works or not, they are a playoff team now. Now way 20 wins.

Twolves will be better and are not winning 19 games. Their pick goes to Warriors unless bottom 3, i think. No way to predict where it falls, so best bet is to win as many games as possible.

Pelicans, Hornets, Kings all are trying to get better. They are not winning less than 20 games.

Pistons have a bottom 3 record locked up. After about 30 games, expect it to be all rookies, all the time. Blake and DRose either gone or injured. The rest of the roster, excluding Plumlee who played 20 minutes a games last year, are young and improving guys.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#16 » by flow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:16 pm

25-47

* At some point, once winning overtakes tanking as the objective, there needs to be a coaching change.

TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#17 » by TPA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Since the 15-16 season, Blake has played in 60% of regular-season games, with the most games being 75 in the 18-19 season, then 61 in the 16-17 season. I don't trust that he's going to be/stay healthy in his 11th season, and if somehow he is/does, I think he's gone by the deadline.
Rose hasn't played more than 51 games in any of the past 3 seasons. Same with Griffin, if he happens to stay healthy this year, he's probably shipped off to another team at the deadline.
Griffin and Rose over the past couple of seasons in Detroit have accounted for roughly 40ppg between them. I think that with them healthy we can probably expect a similar offensive contribution. Without either (or both), for whatever reason (health or trade), I don't see anyone on this roster who would pick up that slack and provide regular and reliable offense. That's not to say that someone COULD have a breakout season, but I think that most of our points per game come by committee. Without Rose or Blake, do we have a 15-18 ppg scorer, let alone multiple?
I guess where I'm going with this; we may be a scrappy defensive team, but I don't see how we're going to consistently hang with most teams offensively. Detroit had the sixth-worst offensive PPG average statistically in 19-20, and I doubt we'll make up any ground with the roster we're going to field, ESPECIALLY if Griffin and/or Rose aren't around at any point.
This team is going into the upcoming season with no chemistry, few (seemingly) offensive weapons, and a lot of youth that are in need of development. For those reasons, I would be surprised if we won 20/72 games. I think we're going to be bad. Real bad.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#18 » by El Chivo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm

We are a bottom 6 team
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#19 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 pm

We'll "compete" for the worst record in the East which is exactly where we should be right now.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM

Post#20 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Maybe we're worse than I think. After getting Grant I felt like we're going to be stuck in mediocrity again BUT we currently have the worst odds to win the title in Vegas at 500 to 1 tied at the bottom with New York, Cleveland, and Chicago. We're all 300 to 1 to win the East.

When it comes to overs/under for regular season win totals the Pistons have the 4th lowest win total prediction line at 24.5 games ahead of only New York, Cleveland, and Charlotte.

Maybe we actually will finally bottom out and get a top 3 draft pick in 2021.

Return to Detroit Pistons