ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Tristan Thompson!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Re: Welcome to Boston, Tristan Thompson! 

Post#81 » by 31to6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 pm

Anyone care to look at how he’s fared against Embiid and Bam?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#82 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:27 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Tbh I wanted Baynes for vet or Giles for youth + make Tatum happy, but TT might provide better rim protection than both and is certainly a on offensive-glass-pest. He also brings some kind of verticallity that Baynes maybe didn't. And he's certainly more fitted to guard Bam than Baynes (yeah, I don't care and I don't fear the 76ers)

He also brings experience as well as some grit, which was also one of our weaknesses last year, we were just weak mentally and physically.

I hope its a 1+1 though. Full MLE for 2 years is a lot.

PD: I also think Ibaka just wasn't considering us at all.

Ibaka was either staying in TOR or going to LAC. He is up and down as well, his defense had gotten shaky before Gasol got to TOR. They are close in age Ibaka is 31 and Thompson is 29 but Ibaka feels a lot older. Both of these guys feel like they were playing in the 90's.

I would send one of the young guards packing and give Harry Giles a minimum deal for some Rob Wil insurance. Thompson can do a lot of things but block shots isn't one of them.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#83 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:lol he took 23. I wouldn't say he added it, but I guess we'll see. He's not that good, this better not be a multi-year signing. Strictly a Kanter-like role.

I have reservations about him because he is not Dennis Rodman on the defensive end. He is 29 coming off his best year and no longer making max dollars. Championship caliber player. He can swing between the 4 and 5 and Brad has been able to work wonders with guys who are historically not great defenders get them to be really effective Kanter and KO for example. I always remember him being a tough player.

Unlike Kanter he doesn't have a history of being really effective in short mins. He has been a starter most of his career and pushes almost 30 mpg. The 3pt thing is a mixed bag. Sure it would be nice for him to rotate out their and hit a few open 3's but his best asset is as an offensive rebounder that is how turbo charges your offense can't do that out the 3pt line.

I like him more in a 2 big line up with Theis and the Williams boys as your other D pair. Combined with Teague Ainge had a nice come back from what looked like a rough day. It will be interesting to see if we start him in a two big line up. If Nesmith can play our ten deep looks better than it has.

Walker/Brown/Tatum/Thompson/Theis
Teague/Smart/Nesmith/G.Williams/R.Williams

We are in some trouble if Rob Will can't stay healthy.

Which of Theis and/or Thompson can comfortably guard stretch 4s as their primary/pre-switch defensive assignment?

Theis is solid defending anyone if the zebras cut him a break and when the match up dictates you sit Thompson and start Smart or rotate to it quickly and put Tatum on the 4. Grant Williams as well. I am not worried about defending stretch 4's as much as I am getting rim protection and rebounding against real size. The championship now does go through Anthony Davis.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#84 » by sam_I_am » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm

sully00 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
sully00 wrote:
I have reservations about him because he is not Dennis Rodman on the defensive end. He is 29 coming off his best year and no longer making max dollars. Championship caliber player. He can swing between the 4 and 5 and Brad has been able to work wonders with guys who are historically not great defenders get them to be really effective Kanter and KO for example. I always remember him being a tough player.

Unlike Kanter he doesn't have a history of being really effective in short mins. He has been a starter most of his career and pushes almost 30 mpg. The 3pt thing is a mixed bag. Sure it would be nice for him to rotate out their and hit a few open 3's but his best asset is as an offensive rebounder that is how turbo charges your offense can't do that out the 3pt line.

I like him more in a 2 big line up with Theis and the Williams boys as your other D pair. Combined with Teague Ainge had a nice come back from what looked like a rough day. It will be interesting to see if we start him in a two big line up. If Nesmith can play our ten deep looks better than it has.

Walker/Brown/Tatum/Thompson/Theis
Teague/Smart/Nesmith/G.Williams/R.Williams

We are in some trouble if Rob Will can't stay healthy.

Which of Theis and/or Thompson can comfortably guard stretch 4s as their primary/pre-switch defensive assignment?

Theis is solid defending anyone if the zebras cut him a break and when the match up dictates you sit Thompson and start Smart or rotate to it quickly and put Tatum on the 4. Grant Williams as well. I am not worried about defending stretch 4's as much as I am getting rim protection and rebounding against real size. The championship now does go through Anthony Davis.

He is a little better than Kanter at generating offensive possessions with his offensive rebounds as he doesn’t rack up as many stats missing bunnies and getting his own rebounds. He is a much more versatile defender than Kanter obviously even if he isn’t great. He used to be a terrible free throw shooter so I hope that improved (I haven’t paid attention).

I believe he got two years with second year a team option. At worst that makes him very tradeable.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#85 » by darrendaye » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm

sully00 wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:Tbh I wanted Baynes for vet or Giles for youth + make Tatum happy, but TT might provide better rim protection than both and is certainly a on offensive-glass-pest. He also brings some kind of verticallity that Baynes maybe didn't. And he's certainly more fitted to guard Bam than Baynes (yeah, I don't care and I don't fear the 76ers)

He also brings experience as well as some grit, which was also one of our weaknesses last year, we were just weak mentally and physically.

I hope its a 1+1 though. Full MLE for 2 years is a lot.

PD: I also think Ibaka just wasn't considering us at all.

Ibaka was either staying in TOR or going to LAC. He is up and down as well, his defense had gotten shaky before Gasol got to TOR. They are close in age Ibaka is 31 and Thompson is 29 but Ibaka feels a lot older. Both of these guys feel like they were playing in the 90's.

I would send one of the young guards packing and give Harry Giles a minimum deal for some Rob Wil insurance. Thompson can do a lot of things but block shots isn't one of them.

My guess is Giles is going somewhere where a role is waiting for him, but, while I understand and agree with the reason they go Thompson instead, I would have loved to bring him in. Two young good passing big men, whoever can bring his outside shot around soonest wins. Giles already has some drive and dish game. I fully believe Williams has that in him too.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#86 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Kim Kardashian just said she's going to be in Boston a lot more now b/c of Tristan.

2020 is BIZARRE

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#87 » by Taget » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Didn't know Tristan was still in the league. Hopefully has something left in the tank to produce off the bench.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#88 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Kim Kardashian just said she's going to be in Boston a lot more now b/c of Tristan.

2020 is BIZARRE

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

She's welcome any time ... so long as she doesn't bring any of her sisters or BFFs.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#89 » by Ernest » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Could be an interesting battle to win the starting center spot.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#90 » by Spin Move » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Taget wrote:Didn't know Tristan was still in the league. Hopefully has something left in the tank to produce off the bench.

He is only 28, it feels like he is older, but he was super young for those lebron Kyrie teams
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#91 » by Kalela » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Does this mean Theis will continue to start for the Celtics? I think TT is a better player in my opinion.
Fire Mazzulla
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Post#92 » by Tyakack » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Ernest wrote:Could be an interesting battle to win the starting center spot.

TT will be starting without question.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#93 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 pm

My push for Timelord to start has ended before it began.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by Ernest » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 pm

Tyakack wrote:
Ernest wrote:Could be an interesting battle to win the starting center spot.

TT will be starting without question.

Oh, ok good to know. I mean 1 less thing to talk about.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#95 » by ballup » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Imo, all contending teams need a high energy big off the bench to switch up styles. Having better motivation, he could show shades of his previous defense.

Better not bring that in-law nonsense too

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by Ernest » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:48 pm

Williams looked a lot better in the bubble. Let's hope he continues to improve. Theis was great for us, he stepped up big time. TT on paper might be better. Let's see. It should be good. We should be good at the 5 for a change.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#97 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Ernest wrote:Williams looked a lot better in the bubble. Let's hope he continues to improve. Theis was great for us, he stepped up big time. TT on paper might be better. Let's see. It should be good. We should be good at the 5 for a change.

The way DA said it, makes me think Williams' problem is outside influencers. The isolation of the bubble helped him. I'd have to agree that something isn't good outside the bubble because of his social media posts... about a week ago he was sending out vague messages, but it seemed like he was about to fight or maybe he was arguing with someone. It was messages like only the people involved would understand. Don't remember the words but it ended with him saying only his daughter could calm him down. I always thought it was just his injuries but his work ethic and "people" may not be good.

I'm making assumptions and taking leaps based on spotty info, but what else is a great forum for? :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#98 » by Floody100 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Kim Kardashian just said she's going to be in Boston a lot more now b/c of Tristan.

2020 is BIZARRE

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Doesn’t one of the sisters get around with a lot of the players ? Keep her away from Tatum :lol:
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#99 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Floody100 wrote:

2020 is BIZARRE

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Doesn’t one of the sisters get around with a lot of the players ? Keep her away from Tatum :lol:

Which one? I think Khloe has dated the most bballers. TT, Harden and Odom are the for sure ones but I think there are more. I don't know much about them except what I hear when ish hits the fan and it goes all over the net.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#100 » by nic4747 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:28 am

I think TT has the potential to positively impact the Celtics starting line more than Hayward based on the position he plays. I'm also assuming he's going to additionally benefit from the "Brad Stevens" effect and play better on the Celtics than Cleveland. I really like this signing and hope his recent 3 point shot is not a mirage.

Return to Boston Celtics