Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#41 » by the_process » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:08 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
the_process wrote:Jo has said he likes playing with stretch 4’s, and having one as a cheap backup certainly doesn’t hurt.

That's basically what Tobias Harris is.

I'd rather just go small for the other 18 mpg that Tobias sits. No use in having size for no reason. Especially if it hurts you defensively.

Any interest in GRIII in that role?

I think the more accurate question is does GRIII have any interest coming back here to play that role. Sixers could offer him 2-7 and still have plenty for Hinkie specials for Reed and Joe.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#42 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:09 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Any interest in GRIII in that role?

I'm not, but I know some others like him.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#43 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:13 pm

I like GR3.

But he’s like..

After we stopped him from running his ponzi scheme of stat padding with the warriors.

If Burks was not traded to us. He’d be signing a $20M contract with the Bobcats with his 16ppg average as a poor man’s Jimmy Butler with the Warriors
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#44 » by GutUNC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:23 pm

BullyKing wrote:If we had traded Tobias for Batum and Zeller, we'd have Embiid, Simmons, Curry, Thybulle, and Milton and max space next offseason.

Sucks for this season but for next season....whoo boy, wouldn't that be nice. I just picture a clock on the wall as it pertains to Ben and Jo though, which worries me. That's where a Morey is helpful in giving them faith in the big picture.
GDTBATH
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,013

Post#45 » by Sixerscan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Embiid misses too many games for them not sign someone else that can play front court minutes. Even if you want to do some wacky Houston stuff you still need someone that can actually fill that role.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#46 » by Sixerscan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:28 pm

GutUNC wrote:
BullyKing wrote:If we had traded Tobias for Batum and Zeller, we'd have Embiid, Simmons, Curry, Thybulle, and Milton and max space next offseason.

Sucks for this season but for next season....whoo boy, wouldn't that be nice. I just picture a clock on the wall as it pertains to Ben and Jo though, which worries me. That's where a Morey is helpful in giving them faith in the big picture.

If someone would trade an expiring contract for Tobias now there will probably just take him into space in the summer. There isn't the fit problems that there are with Horford, there's no reason to just blindly trade him for nothing at this point.

If anything they desperately need Harris on this team right now playing lots of minutes, the forward spots would be a ghost ship without him.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#47 » by BullyKing » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

If someone would trade an expiring contract for Tobias now there will probably just take him into space in the summer. There isn't the fit problems that there are with Horford, there's no reason to just blindly trade him for nothing at this point.

If anything they desperately need Harris on this team right now playing lots of minutes, the forward spots would be a ghost ship without him.

How many teams are going to have $35 million in space next season? Sure this season would be rough but I'd probably do it.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#48 » by Sixerscan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

How many teams are going to have $35 million in space next season? Sure this season would be rough but I'd probably do it.

I don't have an exact number but more than this year. There's a lot of free agents next summer it's going to be more like last summer.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#49 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Willie Cauley-Stein is a doofus, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in on a vet minimum for added C depth.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,109

Post#50 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

There's tons of open cap space next offseason as a lot of team are angling for Giannis. Hopefully we have an opportunity to get out of Tobias' deal if we want then, as he could make a good consolation prize for the numerous teams that lose out.

The key is to rehab Tobi's value this year with MASSIVE usage. I have faith this is Doc and Daryl's plan
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#51 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

I think markieff is a real option regardless of what the media says, couple that with a Scott+ smith trade
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#52 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

This. We actually need Harris this year due to our weak frontcourt depth. But may have a chance to dump him into space next summer if we can rehab his value. That's better than trading for worthless expirings which will hurt our performance on the court this year.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#53 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Arsenal wrote:There's tons of open cap space next offseason as a lot of team are angling for Giannis. Hopefully we have an opportunity to get out of Tobias' deal if we want then, as he could make a good consolation prize for the numerous teams that lose out.

The key is to rehab Tobi's value this year with MASSIVE usage. I have faith this is Doc and Daryl's plan

Don’t know that id love to do that to Ben if he comes back with any semblance of a shot they should turn his usage up to 100 lol
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#54 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Re: Zhaire Smith

I've got no clue what's going on w/him. That said, his G-League stats improved big time last year and he's only going to be 21 this upcoming season. Similar to Shake's G-League stats except much lesser usage.

So I'm ok having patience for another year instead of cutting bait now. The best plan would be to hand him the keys in G-League and let him run wild as a PPP. Force feed his development.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/s/smithzh01d.html

I'd much prefer using Ferguson as the salary ballast along with Scott in any trade.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#55 » by Skates » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 pm

There are a lot of 4/5 options still on the market to fill minutes on a minimum contract. I actually liked Kyle O’Quinn last year, seemed he would have a good game and Brett would immediately sit him for three weeks. He has defensive limitations, but his passing and play making were unexpected. Lots of bigs of all different kinds out there yet, older, younger, defense, offense and of course none that offer everything. The PG market is thin and the wings are decent in number, but definitely picked over in quality for the most part.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#56 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:I think markieff is a real option regardless of what the media says, couple that with a Scott+ smith trade

I think Marcus signing a big deal with the Lakers almost guarantees that Markief stays.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#57 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm

The more I think about it, I'm good going into the season as is. Let's give the young guys big minutes and see if they can step up before selling more assets for washed stopgap veterans.

Just need one more stretch big to bolster our frontcourt depth. Illy at minimum would be fine.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#58 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:I think markieff is a real option regardless of what the media says, couple that with a Scott+ smith trade

I think Marcus signing a big deal with the Lakers almost guarantees that Markief stays.

Marcus signed with Clippers. But yeah maybe that keeps Kief in LA w/the Lakers.

Would be hilarious to see them go at it.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#59 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Max cap space doesnt matter that much with a team like ours or boston. All we can get are the left-overs like Hayward, Al or Tobi. That’s the reality.

Cap space is nice. But betting hard on it to find your third star is not a good strategy.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#60 » by Skates » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:09 pm

JaKarr Sampson is off the market, might as well stop even hoping now (-;

Return to Philadelphia 76ers