Image ImageImage Image

Vote Twice-Offseason grade/How many wins?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

2 questions, 2 votes-Offseason grade and predicted wins (out of 72 games)

1-A
8%
2-B
23%
3-C
9%
4-D
6%
5-F
2%
6 25 or below
1%
7 26-30 wins
15%
8 31-35 wins
24%
9 36-40 wins
8%
10 41 or more wins
3%

Total votes: 137

_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,176

Re: Vote Twice-Offseason grade/How many wins? 

Post#21 » by _txchilibowl_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 am

A+ for the new management and coach alone. Last year at this time we were stuck with GarPax and Boylen. I couldn't be happier with the off-season...
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,568

Post#22 » by JimmyButler21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 am

They did nothing and the draft was meh, so a C. I think they'll improve from within just by coaching so I'll say about 35 wins.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#23 » by dice » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 am

JimmyButler21 wrote:They did nothing and the draft was meh, so a C. I think they'll improve from within just by coaching so I'll say about 35 wins.

based on 72 game schedule?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#24 » by dice » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 am

dougthonus wrote:It's a C.

We just punted. You can argue this was the right call, that we wanted to see guys, but Morey went to Philly and immediately made impactful changes to fix problems with the roster.

morey is under pressure to make moves now to contend now (and possibly shed salary in the process). AK is not. either AK is incredibly lazy or very secure in himself, 'cause most new hires would be out to impress their new bosses. the fact that he has done very little so far is encouraging to me. but...
hopefully there's a lavine trade in the works :rockon:
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#25 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 am

Don’t have much to add to Doug’s post. It’s a C for me.

My only possible defense of standing pat is that AK believes a few guys will rehab their value once other teams see them in a functional system.

That said, trying to high-point a player’s value so precisely is too cute by half imo. Better to make moves when the market is most fluid, ie the draft and free agency.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#26 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 am

a B?!
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:44 am

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:a B?!

An A?!
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#28 » by GrowingHorns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 am

Started to modernize the organization structure a bit, it's a good route. Picked the correct player and nice 2nd rnd pick. I didn't expect so much trades at this point as it kinda felt there won't be good enough deals at this point. I am not the kinda "do something" fan just to want to do now. I want them do it right and I trust their judgement for AK's past record. I'm giving B. And i am waiting win rate to be closer to 50 than 40 percent. That needs us to be at least in the average group with health, so here's for hoping less injuries this season.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,236

Post#29 » by kodo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 am

Coaching was an A+.

Draft was a C. I thought more critics would hate this pick but surprisingly not, almost everyone mentioned he was skyrocketing up in the rankings based on workouts and had a promise at 7. Givony said he was 4-10 going into the draft. This is probably more that guys like Obi, Deni, Hayes were not impressing more than Williams looking like a star. Okoro also leapfrogged all those guys as well. I hope this pick is better than it seems at first glance.

Free Agency was a C. Pretty much what I expected, be it from Foreman or AK. Bulls are in an amazing financial situation in 21 with nobody significant on the roster other than Lavine and Coby's rook deal. Foreman was probably trying to land a big FA, AK may instead use it to clean house after an evaluation year. Either way, nothing much happening this year as expected.

So I'd probably end up with a C+ / B-, but I didn't expect much from AK this year.

I would probably lean towards B- because he did create a player development staff when the Bulls had none before (save one guy, Respert), and this is probably the most overlooked aspect of any team's success these days. When you look at Toronto, nobody on that championship team was a top 3 pick. It was all player development, either from Toronto or SAS.

If the Bulls health is managed better this year, could be a solid B. That more than Boylen killed any fringe playoff chances last season, and has been our biggest problem going back a decade now.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 am

I'd like to see what a non-Bulls fan poll looks like of our offseason grade. Don't mean to be a downer but probably more realistic if you know what I mean.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#31 » by Lexluthor » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 am

This needs Team needs a lot talent But I hope Patrick Williams surprises people . I am predicting 27-29 wins
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#32 » by pipfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:01 am

I have made this poll multiple years, and the last few the predicted # of wins has been too optimistic. Health has been a big issue for us, and easily could continue to be. Having the worst coach in the league also hurt. Plus, we started tanking recently too-which drops the end total a bunch.

I just see all these crazy FA deals out there and shake my head. We kept flexibility for the future and we have a ton of depth. I was high on PWill for months, so I loved the pick. I just didn't see a better prospect, after Wiseman (who is no slam dunk). For me, character and "likeability" are important, so I had no interest in some of the prospects.

I say 32 wins is possible this year, ASSUMING A HEALTHY ROSTER
TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Post#33 » by TheHrvReport » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 am

Off-season was a C to a C+, i'm happy with the organizational changes and replacing Boylen with Donovan. Other than that I am pretty neutral on draft (TBD) as well as free agency. I'll have much higher expectations next offseason.

27 to 29 wins seems likely. We are keeping pretty much the same roster and most teams in the East have gotten better.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#34 » by Southpaw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 am

I voted C and 31-35 wins. I liked the FO/Coaching Staff overhaul but it'll be awhile before we see results of that. I feel like we'll be around the 7-10 range barring injuries and trades for the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Zach and/or Lauri around the deadline. Zach could be a valuable commodity with teams looking for some scoring punch and few of those guys are available.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,530

Post#35 » by Andi Obst » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Coaching: I like but don't love Billy Donovan as a coach. He's definitely a significant upgrade over Boylen though + we added a good mix of young and experienced assistants. Our coaching situation will most likely be solid at least and that changes a lot after the Boylen/Hoiberg years. B

Draft Day: I liked it a lot. Been a big fan of Patrick Williams for a while now and don't think he was a reach at 4. Patience is key with him, but I'm happy with the pick. Trading up or down was never really interesting to me and the lack of trades in the lottery indicates that teams just weren't ready to give up anything either way. Don't know enough about Simonovic to say much. His skillset seems interesting, but there were a few guys on the board that I would have taken before him. Adding Dotson on a 2-way was a great and underrated move IMO, the guy is way to good to go undrafted. B+

Trades/Free Agency: This is a little tougher, for a lot of reasons that have been mentioned already. I did expect some moves, maybe even some big moves with a new FO in place. Who knows, there's still time until the season starts, but it seems like we're running it back for now and that's at least a little disappointing. Hard to get excited about Garrett Temple. C-

So all in all, that's a B- for me so far. In terms of wins, I don't think we're going to be that much better than last season. Probably a little bit. This is why I expect to see far more action at the deadline.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,707

Post#36 » by dougthonus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:51 pm

dice wrote:
dougthonus wrote:It's a C.

We just punted. You can argue this was the right call, that we wanted to see guys, but Morey went to Philly and immediately made impactful changes to fix problems with the roster.

morey is under pressure to make moves now to contend now (and possibly shed salary in the process). AK is not. either AK is incredibly lazy or very secure in himself, 'cause most new hires would be out to impress their new bosses. the fact that he has done very little so far is encouraging to me. but...
hopefully there's a lavine trade in the works :rockon:

Maybe it was the best thing, but if GarPax were in charge, the board would be flipping out about how awful they are and just sit on their hands. There should be no different judge here, which is why I give them a C. It's fine if there was nothing good to do, but they still did nothing. The only reason fans aren't more angry about it yet is due to the love fest of bringing in someone new. If you strip away who was making the decisions, this is a pretty poor off-season.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,707

Post#37 » by dougthonus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:54 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:Let's be real, they just didn't get any trade offers they liked and they don't want to tie up any more future cap room. That's why the roster hasn't changed yet.

That’s not any different than waiting to see. Obviously if they got offers they loved they would have taken them. “Wow, I love that amazing trade offer but I’m going to say no strictly because I have a theory about patience.” That’s not a thing.

Another way of saying it is, they like enough of what they know about the young talent, that not being in love with any trade offers, they are going to see what they look like under Donovan. Not weak sauce when described the only logical way it could be. More like an objectively reasonable approach.

One thing that I feel they could have reasonably done is traded #4 for #7 and #16. Detroit, according to the Detroit news, desperately wanted Williams, so it feels highly likely they would have given that up for him. The Bulls decided not to take that option. I would have taken that option myself.

Granted, that doesn't mean I'm right and the Bulls are wrong, we'll know the answer to that in a few years.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 881

Post#38 » by HearshotKDS » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Had a full thing written up but then my toddler hit the off button on the PC.

B- - 30 wins. This offseason didnt move the teams needle, but they weren't really set up to do so outside of A+ FO work to make something out of nothing. They are set up to make real moves next offseason and I expect AK to knock it out of the park or draw my ire.

While I think BOylen was a bad coach, I think his impact was more on limiting player development and less on the teams win column. I expect around 30 wins because the team doesnt have the horses to meaningfully run in this race.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,049

Post#39 » by FriedRise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

B, 26-30 wins.

The overhaul of the front office, coaching staff, medical staff, and developmental program is long overdue. Drafting PatWill was also fine but it’s too early to tell. I’m happy they swung for the fences even if that means the chance of busting is higher. We need players with high upside instead of high floor. It would’ve been an A had we seen more roster movement.

As for wins, I’m going for 26-30 for a moderate improvement. I think it’s achievable but that number could be higher if everything clicks, everyone stays healthy, and we get significant contribution from the young guys.

The goal should be to make the play-in tournament at the end of the season for the last 2 playoff spots.
petebraun0
Senior
And1: 210

Post#40 » by petebraun0 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:19 am

who should our free-agent acquisition have been, other than Temple? I think we could have spent a bit more to get someone more valuable and useful. Any ideas or suggestions?

Return to Chicago Bulls