Free Agency Day 2 Winners and Losers

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Re: Free Agency Day 2 Winners and Losers 

Post#21 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 pm

In my opinion there was a lot of small wins on day two. Clippers being the biggest.

Clippers, big win with Ibaka
Raptors win keeping FVV.
Denver wins keeping Millsap. I did not expect this.
Lakers win keeping KCP. I did not expect this.
Suns, solid win. Crowder is a playoff experienced vet to help out their youth.
Heat win. Harkless and Bradley on the cheap.
Hawks win. Rondo and Dunn. They needed a backup point guard who could also defend. Two is better than one.

Losers
Celtics, I don't know what it is about Boston but their big signings do not want to stay put. At least they get them though.
Charlotte, how in the world do they build a winner now?
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#22 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Slava wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:Clippers are Day 2 winners with a lucky ass brilliant signing of Serge Ibaka to a 2 year 19mil 2nd year Player option deal. Clippers needed a big man who can stretch the floor, D up, and be a good locker room guy. Serge fills all of those roles to the dot. Clippers still have their BAE and can use a backup SG/SF who's long, can defend, and hit some open shots, or the best play making PG they can find.

Lakers are my surprise Day 2 loser. Only reason they suddenly get hte loser tag is that Serge Ibaka signed the exact same deal as Montrelz Harrell. IMO Serge Ibaka fills WAY more boxes than Harrell, who's undersized, atrocious D, no range, and potential locker room psycho. Serge is like twice the player and if the choice was between Ibaka or Harrell, u go Ibaka everytime, and with Ibaka id say the Lakers become HEAVY favorites to repeat.

Lakers clearly want players in the age and mileage bracket who can soak up minutes in the regular season on a short turnaround time. It makes total sense for them to be looking at Schröder and Harrell instead of adding to an ageing core with more 30+ guys with heavy mileage who will need breaks during the regular season.

This is a good point - Harrell eating up regular season minutes and keeping Lebron/Davis fresh for a playoff run offsets what Ibaka adds as a stretch 5. Remember, the Lakers closing lineup, against every team besides Denver - will feature Davis at the 5 with Lebron and mixing and match 3 3 and D guys. As of now, the closing lineup is likely Carusso/Matthews/KCP/James/Davis - mixing in Kuzma, Harrell and Schroder depending on the game.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#23 » by pacers33granger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Walmart wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Hate Thompson at that big of a number and Teague basically at all for a team that sees itself as a contender. Boston not having a good day.

Teague is on a one-year deal and if he isn't effective in limited minutes they can just cut him. Tristan is on a two-year deal where's he making as much per year as Meyers Leonard or Kanter.

Teague is fine value in a vacuum but he's such a bad fit for that roster. Personally I like the TT signing for them, but he's not exactly what they need out of a big. Plus making no real positive moves at the draft and then going from Hayward/Kanter to Teague/TT is bad.

Boston really needs one or two of their young guys to hit. At this point they're warchest of picks is empty and they're capped out.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#24 » by Sactowndog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:I think two teams F’d up with Bogdan.

First the Milwaukee GM got greedy and tried to slam in Jrue Holiday and remove a pick from the Kings and force Bogdan to accept less salary. Both the Kings and Bogdan balked.

Do you have a link for that?

Do you want to listen to a linked interview with Amick on the Carmichael Dave show?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 pm

I'm going to just start listening only to the biased Dallas media sources(and boy do we have some) and then coming here and insisting their perspective is reality. It's worthless in terms of quality discussion, but it must be fun based on the amount of Kings homer-media spam we are getting here.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#26 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Walmart wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Hate Thompson at that big of a number and Teague basically at all for a team that sees itself as a contender. Boston not having a good day.

Teague is on a one-year deal and if he isn't effective in limited minutes they can just cut him. Tristan is on a two-year deal where's he making as much per year as Meyers Leonard or Kanter.

Teague is fine value in a vacuum but he's such a bad fit for that roster. Personally I like the TT signing for them, but he's not exactly what they need out of a big. Plus making no real positive moves at the draft and then going from Hayward/Kanter to Teague/TT is bad.

Boston really needs one or two of their young guys to hit. At this point they're warchest of picks is empty and they're capped out.

I like Teague and Thompson but after losing Hayward for nothing, I could not give Boston a win. If they turn that into a SNT, my opinion on it may change. I still think Hayward is a big loss.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,650

Post#27 » by Marrrcuss » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Slava wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:Clippers are Day 2 winners with a lucky ass brilliant signing of Serge Ibaka to a 2 year 19mil 2nd year Player option deal. Clippers needed a big man who can stretch the floor, D up, and be a good locker room guy. Serge fills all of those roles to the dot. Clippers still have their BAE and can use a backup SG/SF who's long, can defend, and hit some open shots, or the best play making PG they can find.

Lakers are my surprise Day 2 loser. Only reason they suddenly get hte loser tag is that Serge Ibaka signed the exact same deal as Montrelz Harrell. IMO Serge Ibaka fills WAY more boxes than Harrell, who's undersized, atrocious D, no range, and potential locker room psycho. Serge is like twice the player and if the choice was between Ibaka or Harrell, u go Ibaka everytime, and with Ibaka id say the Lakers become HEAVY favorites to repeat.

Lakers clearly want players in the age and mileage bracket who can soak up minutes in the regular season on a short turnaround time. It makes total sense for them to be looking at Schröder and Harrell instead of adding to an ageing core with more 30+ guys with heavy mileage who will need breaks during the regular season.

This is a good point - Harrell eating up regular season minutes and keeping Lebron/Davis fresh for a playoff run offsets what Ibaka adds as a stretch 5. Remember, the Lakers closing lineup, against every team besides Denver - will feature Davis at the 5 with Lebron and mixing and match 3 3 and D guys. As of now, the closing lineup is likely Carusso/Matthews/KCP/James/Davis - mixing in Kuzma, Harrell and Schroder depending on the game.

I think a lot of other fans judging these moves do not get the plan. Having Harrells energy coming in with the second unit will get us through the regular season. He also gets the 3rd best big defender because Bron and AD get the first two when all 3 are on the court. What team has a 3rd guy that could match up?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#28 » by pacers33granger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

First the Milwaukee GM got greedy and tried to slam in Jrue Holiday and remove a pick from the Kings and force Bogdan to accept less salary. Both the Kings and Bogdan balked.

Do you want to listen to a linked interview with Amick on the Carmichael Dave show?

What was the context of the quote? It seems an odd assertion given that Amick didn't mention it whatsoever in his Athletic pieces on the debacle, or anywhere else that I can see.
Sactowndog

Post#29 » by Sactowndog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Then Schlenk in Atlanta thought he could take Bogdan with no compensation to the Kings. But he signed Rondo, Dunn and Gallo and left the Kings with enough space to work a trade with Indy with Bogdan and Turner.

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. Horst and Schlenk are hogs who will get slaughtered.

A little dramatic but I understand not being happy with the Kings situation. They are in limbo and need a team to at least offer Bogdan something so they can move on from this.

Gallinari got 61.5 over 3 years ( 20.5 a season ) for his 18.7 points a game and .617 TS%. The Hawks have enough left to offer 72 million over 4 years ( 18 a season ). I am not sure they would want to offer more than that for 15 points a game and .565 TS%. If you look at what Harris just got with 5 years and 80 million, that is 16 million a season. I think 18 million a season is more than fair for Bogdan. If they don't get him for that, walking away seems about right.

As far as the Pacers interest go. Right now it looks like it was a wish upon a star to get Turner by a Sacramento beat reporter. He is already backing down on it.

Read on Twitter

Actually if the team ends up with Bogdan at 17M or so I’m good with that outcome. I personally would rather have Bogi, Haliburton and Fox then Buddy in my 3 guard rotation. We can trade Buddy later as his salary declines.

The person who reported it originally is was Ham. Anderson is the least credible of the Kings beat guys and tweeted another semi retraction to the retraction you posted claiming the Pacers were interested but it wasn’t Turner. In terms of Kings believe in order: Amick, Jason Jones, Ham and then Anderson. Amick started as a Kings beat writer and has long standing connections
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#30 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Then Schlenk in Atlanta thought he could take Bogdan with no compensation to the Kings. But he signed Rondo, Dunn and Gallo and left the Kings with enough space to work a trade with Indy with Bogdan and Turner.

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. Horst and Schlenk are hogs who will get slaughtered.

A little dramatic but I understand not being happy with the Kings situation. They are in limbo and need a team to at least offer Bogdan something so they can move on from this.

Gallinari got 61.5 over 3 years ( 20.5 a season ) for his 18.7 points a game and .617 TS%. The Hawks have enough left to offer 72 million over 4 years ( 18 a season ). I am not sure they would want to offer more than that for 15 points a game and .565 TS%. If you look at what Harris just got with 5 years and 80 million, that is 16 million a season. I think 18 million a season is more than fair for Bogdan. If they don't get him for that, walking away seems about right.

As far as the Pacers interest go. Right now it looks like it was a wish upon a star to get Turner by a Sacramento beat reporter. He is already backing down on it.

Read on Twitter

Actually if the team ends up with Bogdan at 17M or so I’m good with that outcome. I personally would rather have Bogi, Haliburton and Fox then Buddy in my 3 guard rotation. We can trade Buddy later as his salary declines.

The person who reported it originally is was Ham. Anderson is the least credible of the Kings beat guys and tweeted another semi retraction to the retraction you posted claiming the Pacers were interested but it wasn’t Turner. In terms of Kings believe in order: Amick, Jason Jones, Ham and then Anderson. Amick started as a Kings beat writer and has long standing connections

I think Bogdan signs a Hawks offer sheet shortly after noon eastern time. There has been to much smoke about the Hawks interest for there not be a fire somewhere. Kings match and its all good, they don't and its all good.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Sactowndog

Post#31 » by Sactowndog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:32 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

What was the context of the quote? It seems an odd assertion given that Amick didn't mention it whatsoever in his Athletic pieces on the debacle, or anywhere else that I can see.

Basically that the original agreed deal had a pick and Bogi getting more money but when the Holiday deal came up the Bucks shifted the deal not to anyone’s liking.

Sam lives in Sacramento, was a Kings best writer, is very good friends with Carmichael Dave who has him on his show weekly. Nobody is more plugged into what is happening with the Kings than Amick.
Sactowndog

Post#32 » by Sactowndog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'm going to just start listening only to the biased Dallas media sources(and boy do we have some) and then coming here and insisting their perspective is reality. It's worthless in terms of quality discussion, but it must be fun based on the amount of Kings homer-media spam we are getting here.

Amick is homer media?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#33 » by pacers33granger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Basically that the original agreed deal had a pick and Bogi getting more money but when the Holiday deal came up the Bucks shifted the deal not to anyone’s liking.

Sam lives in Sacramento, was a Kings best writer, is very good friends with Carmichael Dave who has him on his show weekly. Nobody is more plugged into what is happening with the Kings than Amick.

But his reports elsewhere all said that the issue was the two teams had hoped to present Bogdan a contract offer, but talks fell apart and it was prematurely reported. I suppose that could be damage control due to the investigation, but it's just odd that he would report one thing everywhere else and include a juicy detail about the Bucks reneging on a deal in one place that happens to be directed at Kings fans.

Not saying anything one way or another and I find Amick to be sketchy as a reporter either way. It just strikes me as odd that something like that wouldn't be widely reported on.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#34 » by _qubik » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Zion shot just 0.6 3 pointers per game, but he converted them at 42%. If he can get more attempts with fair convertion rate, something respectable 35% - 38% the fit is a dream for me, Adams is probably the most solid center in the league, he will provide you 10/10/2/1/1 almost all the games, with very low usage rates, sets rock hard screens and be a positive presence on offense and defense. He is overpaid for me too, but its the last year, and if the signing pan out, they might resign him for far less, he is still 26.

Zion was lost on defense last season, but common, he was a rookie, a rookie that played a little number of games, he will improve, I'm certain of it, he is very talented.

A starting 5 of:

PG- Bledsoe
SG- Lonzo
SF- Ingram
PF- Zion
C - Adams

6th - JJ Redick

Good luck scoring against those guys with SVG as the coach

They can flip Bledsoe for another guy, they have Kira Lewis Jr also with a lot of potential, as long as young squads goes, I think the Pelicans are one of the best, personally I dont like Ingram, I wouldnt max him because of just one good season, but it doesnt appear to be a fluke also. Very excited to see these guys playing this season. The transition game will be insane
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#35 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Walmart wrote:

It's twice Kanter and I don't have paying Leonard $10M as good value either. But I think he got paid that to potentially be expiring filler. Thompson got it to be the backup center.

I’m not sure Thompson will be a backup, or at least he should see big minutes as he desperately gives them something they’ve been lacking for years. 9.2 doesn’t seem like much with what’s been handed out so far, it’s also half of what he made last year. I didn’t really see a better option out there unless you think Baynes could make a return for the same pay. Teague on the other hand I don’t like, even at the minimum. They would have been better off going young.

Return to Trades and Transactions