Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#521 » by 316Hornets » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,141

Post#522 » by JMAC3 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Been thinking about Ball on defense. I think he is a bad defender in pick and roll right now and a pretty bad defender off the ball as well.

Think it makes the most sense to play him at SG, because it will be much harder to put him in pick and roll actions. His on ball defense will be harder to exploit simply because his size, but I think he is much easier to "hide" on defense than someone like Trae Young.

Obviously he will still have the ball in his hands a ton on offense regardless of who he guards on defensive end.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#523 » by UNCNYC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:07 am

Bad thing about LaMelo Ball is now we are gonna have a bunch of band wagon fans
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#524 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:11 am

I've been thinking about Ball on offense!

If we are going to build around Melo I think our top priority in adding any play - whether it be by draft, trade or FA must be that the player has a very high BBIQ.

Melo's main strength is finding team mates. If dudes get in the right position, Melo will find them. But if we have a bunch of dolts who just stand around and ball watch it'll waste what Melo really brings to the table.

We need to focus on adding players who see the game well and think a step or two ahead. Guys who understand and utilize things like weak side cuts and give and go's and baseline cuts etc. Guys who are really active off ball.

I think that having guys like that on the roster will really help Melo to shine but having guys who don't do that will negate Melo's best attribute.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#525 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am

BigSlam wrote:I've been thinking about Ball on offense!

If we are going to build around Melo I think our top priority in adding any play - whether it be by draft, trade or FA must be that the player has a very high BBIQ.

Melo's main strength is finding team mates. If dudes get in the right position, Melo will find them. But if we have a bunch of dolts who just stand around and ball watch it'll waste what Melo really brings to the table.

We need to focus on adding players who see the game well and think a step or two ahead. Guys who understand and utilize things like weak side cuts and give and go's and baseline cuts etc. Guys who are really active off ball.

I think that having guys like that on the roster will really help Melo to shine but having guys who don't do that will negate Melo's best attribute.

Kinda like Gordon Hayward
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#526 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Yup. I had thought there would be a roster blow up to surround Melo with his types of players - just didn't expect to happen already, with a 30 year old and a massive contract!!
B B M F 'ers
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#527 » by 316Hornets » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:19 am

UNCNYC wrote:Bad thing about LaMelo Ball is now we are gonna have a bunch of band wagon fans

Yeah, but there's also going to be a lot of hotties rockin' Hornets gear.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#528 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:19 am

BigSlam wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Yup. I had thought there would be a roster blow up to surround Melo with his types of players - just didn't expect to happen already, with a 30 year old and a massive contract!!

Yeah, I'm a big Hayward fan, and im positive he'll average 20 to 22 with 5 rebounds and 5 assist, but thought he'd get 3 years 75 million, not 4/120. Whew. Regardless I like the signing from a basketball standpoint. We will see what happens from here.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#529 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 am

The good news is that I think PJ is a high BBIQ guy who understands angles/cuts/timing really well and could seriously blossom with Melo finding him in the right spaces.

Not so sure about Monk and Miles though.

I think Twin #1 could be a good off ball mover for Melo.
B B M F 'ers
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#530 » by UNCNYC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 am

316Hornets wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:Bad thing about LaMelo Ball is now we are gonna have a bunch of band wagon fans

Yeah, but there's also going to be a lot of hotties rockin' Hornets gear.

GENIUS
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 866

Post#531 » by Chapelchilla » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:32 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

mmmh hmm
I think Kupchak is not as dumb as some people may think
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#532 » by 316Hornets » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:43 pm

People are really underestimating Ball's first year potential. With Hayward here, he's going to have such an easier job facilitating the offense. Instead of passing to one guy and the offense stalls, we can keep moving the ball around.

He has been playing against older guys his entire life. The runt of the family that grew to be the tallest. Playing against grown men all over the globe, he now has the opportunity to serve some crow to all the doubters.

He will easily win rookie of the year and lead us to a first round playoff series win.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#533 » by UNCNYC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

I read two people's post today that said they are gonna root for the HORNETS now that LaMelo is here. Ugggg. I always liked being a HORNET fan because only like DUH the people on this board were HORNETS fans. I never ever been a ban wagoner. I am actually the type of guy that would like a team less if they won all the time. I was the only in my school with HORNETS gear. I even had a HORNETS wallet and a TAR HEEL trench coat and I am 6'5 so that was a lot of sky blue lol in high school and they made fun of me for it lol
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#534 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:19 pm

Growing the fanbase is good.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#535 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Good to see him putting in some work, but somebody get that boy a steak!!

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 962

Post#536 » by wilson115 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

And GH at SF and Tae/Rozier/Monk at the other guard means Lamelo likely doesn't see a top defender sicced on him and his skinny first-year self right away.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#537 » by UNCNYC » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Growing the fanbase is good.

True. I just always been the type who was there when you were down or up. Not the type to come around when things are good and disappear when they are bad. If I am your friend then I am your friend.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#538 » by driveandkick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:05 am

BigSlam wrote:Good to see him putting in some work, but somebody get that boy a steak!!

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think an important thing to remember with LaMelo and more of these prospects is they are 19! This dude is clearly still growing into his body. Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding this type of subject. But I've kind of wondered if LaMelo's funky form could have ANYTHING to do with the fact that he's grown so much over the past couple of years? I remember when he first burst onto the scene as like a freshman in high school, he was known for just being a deadeye shooter. He even had that 90 point game where he basically just let it rain from deep. But wasn't he only around 6 foot in that video? Meaning he grew well over half a foot in the past three years or so. Perhaps his shot is a bit funky right now because he just hasn't quite caught up with his rapid growth yet? Shooting is clearly in his DNA - again, I remember the first mixtapes we saw of him he was mainly just showing off his absurd range.

It's almost a bit ironic that now as he's entering the league by far his biggest concern is shooting. Does my question make sense at all though? Is there any chance his weird shooting form could at all have something to do with the fact that he's grown so much and his body is just still catching up?
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#539 » by driveandkick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:06 am

UNCNYC wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Growing the fanbase is good.

True. I just always been the type who was there when you were down or up. Not the type to come around when things are good and disappear when they are bad. If I am your friend then I am your friend.

I feel you, but Vandy Grad is absolutely right here. We need more fans and support regardless of how we get them. I promise you MJ would agree too.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,508

Post#540 » by LofJ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 am

LaMelo has a good frame, he should be able to get a decent bit stronger and not lose any speed.

Return to Charlotte Hornets