ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2881 » by DarkXaero » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:52 pm

We should have went after Marc Gasol (as Ibaka alternative), he's now gonna end up with Lakers or stay with Raps. Looking more likely that he'll end up with Lakers.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2882 » by DarkXaero » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Netaman wrote:One thing I'm curious about is if Ibaka was going to play C was there a Jarrett Allen trade lined up as a follow-up move?

For all the talk about Dinwiddie being trade bait, Allen probably makes more sense because he's still young/cheap and it's not terribly hard to find a backup big - hell, Green may be the closing C right now even with Allen on the roster.

I don't think it makes sense to trade Dinwiddie right now - I think he's a much better trade chip in season, ideally once someone else has established themselves as a capable 6th man/PG (Chiozza? Brown?). Until then he is the ultimate Kyrie insurance plan.

Allen + Prince on the other hand could possibly bring back a comparably aged former lotto forward (like one of the Bridges) + filler who fits the roster better.
Yes. There's no way Allen would have stayed on this roster if we signed Ibaka. Ibaka is strictly a center now.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#2883 » by Papi_swav » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Man we literally missing out on everybody. Harkless signed, Torrey craig signed, Bazemore signed. Pretty much all the wing defenders are signed. We won't spend our MLE this year. Might as well have kept Temple.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#2884 » by Papi_swav » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:59 pm

I think we should go after Baynes for our MLE. If we trade Allen he would come in handy, and if not we can always flip him for an asset by the trade deadline. Might as well try and go for it.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#2885 » by MGrand15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 pm

ProspectPark wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:We were clearly in the running for Ibaka but LA is just a better situation. I don't think money played a role or he would've went to the Raptors or signed a longer deal. Zubac played less than 20 MPG last year and doesn't have the clout to complain. DJ in front of Ibaka meant his time would be limited.

I feel like we went all in on Ibaka and missed out on some really good players. I see five options left. Two only work if JA is 100% gone.

Kent Bazemore
Torrey Craig
Marc Gasol
Aron Baynes
Markieff Morris

All solid options I'd be happy with. Craig is type of defensive forward that every team is looking for. He'd be my top option. If we end up needing a backup center, Marc Gasol should be our target.

I like Gasol but transition defense is going to be so important for us. Giannis and Simmons are great when they can go downhill and score easy baskets before the defense has a chance to get set. If we force them into playing in the half court, we drastically reduce their effectiveness. I remember Jared Dudley talked about this in the Philly series.

DJ is already really slow. If we added more old slow footed centers like Gasol or Baynes, are we risking getting run off the court?

I feel you on that but transition defense is a little different than just foot speed. It's honestly more about IQ + effort + how you set up your offense. Raptors were great at it even with Gasol on the floor. You are right though - 2 slow centers could be a problem if we play against a stretch 5 or speedy PGs.

Luckily, we just struck out on every free agent so we don't have to worry about that :lol: :banghead:
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#2886 » by Paradise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#2887 » by MGrand15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Man we literally missing out on everybody. Harkless signed, Torrey craig signed, Bazemore signed. Pretty much all the wing defenders are signed. We won't spend our MLE this year. Might as well have kept Temple.

Yeah, I really don't get it. Would love to know if we're pushing for these guys and failing. Or if Marks is purposefully standing pat. Or if he miscalculated with the Ibaka thing. The only MLE worthy guy left is Baynes. That only works if we trade JA.
Paradise

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2888 » by Paradise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:40 pm

We could also be waiting to see who gets bought out via trades like Trevor Ariza, JaVale McGee, Cook, Taj Gibson, Ilyasova, etc.

The market isn’t done yet. DeAndre Bembry and a few others still out there.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#2889 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Seems to me that the Nets let Harden and Ibaka lead them into watching while the Lakers and other contenders load up. Meanwhile we have a log jam at guard and still need defense on the wing. What a mess.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#2890 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:28 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Seems to me that the Nets let Harden and Ibaka lead them into watching while the Lakers and other contenders load up. Meanwhile we have a log jam at guard and still need defense on the wing. What a mess.

I think the reality is, we’re going to wind up making a big move by the deadline and so there is little choice.

If other contenders had the pieces and the trade demand threats we have, they would do the same.

Our window is small and there’s little time to waste, but Marks knows this and they know not to be impulsive when they’ll be a huge upgrade soon.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#2891 » by StepBackCrack » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 pm

KD should play at the 3 mainly and play limited minutes at the 4. Honestly, Nets should limit the defensive load he has to do by bringing great versatile defensive player that plays at the 4. You don't want KD to get injured. Man, Tucker would so ideal for this team but the only way to get him is through the Harden trade and I'm not counting on that :/ Hoping for the best anyway.
Paradise

Post#2892 » by Paradise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Btw, we also have a $2M TPE created in the 3 way deal.

- $5M MLE
- $2M TPE
- 1/2 roster spots left.

I wouldn’t necessarily expect us to done unless we’re aiming to save these for down the line. I think we’ll see a little more shuffling.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#2893 » by ProspectPark » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Seems to me that the Nets let Harden and Ibaka lead them into watching while the Lakers and other contenders load up. Meanwhile we have a log jam at guard and still need defense on the wing. What a mess.

Kyrie / LeVert
Dinwiddie / Shamet

Brown is injury insurance.

When you have Kyrie and LeVert, isn’t it good to have some depth at the guard position?
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2894 » by DarkXaero » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

I think the reality is, we’re going to wind up making a big move by the deadline and so there is little choice.

If other contenders had the pieces and the trade demand threats we have, they would do the same.

Our window is small and there’s little time to waste, but Marks knows this and they know not to be impulsive when they’ll be a huge upgrade soon.
Yeah except our assets value will decline by trade deadline. Dinwiddie could be a half season rental, while Allen is also half season away from being restricted free agent, commanding big money. And everyone's raw numbers will suffer from diminished roles, especially Dinwiddie and Levert, as we stocked up on more guards.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2895 » by DarkXaero » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 am

With Marc Gasol signing with Lakers, I think it's safe to say that Lakers somehow got significantly better this offseason. Another option gone for us as well.

Edit: With Baynes signing with Toronto, that's all our good rotation center options gone now in free agency.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#2896 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:37 am

Sorry, there really is no way to spin this. We had the MLE to add an upgrade on at least the wing defensively and Marks dropped the ball BIG time.

This team on paper does not look good defensively.

Meanwhile how many upgrades did the Lakers get?

The only slim hope we have right now is the strange lack of activity from Houston who for some reason is keeping roster space open.

This offseason so far has been a C- at best. Not what you want from a team with a short contending window.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
StepBackCrack
Starter

Post#2897 » by StepBackCrack » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Sorry, there really is no way to spin this. We had the MLE to add an upgrade on at least the wing defensively and Marks dropped the ball BIG time.

This team on paper does not look good defensively.

Meanwhile how many upgrades did the Lakers get?

The only slim hope we have right now is the strange lack of activity from Houston who for some reason is keeping roster space open.

This offseason so far has been a C- at best. Not what you want from a team with a short contending window.

Fully agree with this. This is so disappointing from Marks man :/ It's not good at all. The bold part is very important. This team's window for winning will be quite small and the Nets shouldn't waste a year of KD's prime like this :/ This team on paper is really bad defensively. No way they are beating the Lakers or Clippers this way. It's also far from a given they reach the finals. I could easily see them lose before that to the Bucks.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#2898 » by Papi_swav » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:07 am

I guess Glenn Robinson or Morris is pretty much the only guys that would make sense now. Disappointing we struck out on everybody.
StepBackCrack
Starter

Post#2899 » by StepBackCrack » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:11 am

Feels like only a Harden/Tucker trade miracle can save this very underwhelming FA for the Nets now. I really don't agree that the current roster is great enough to win the title next season. I would say maybe finals at best but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose before that. And I'm saying this assuming KD will be KD btw which isn't a given of course. Will pray he is and stay healthy. He will start slow obviously but hopefully he will get his usual form back as the season goes.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#2900 » by ProspectPark » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 am

Teshima Junta wrote:KD should play at the 3 mainly and play limited minutes at the 4. Honestly, Nets should limit the defensive load he has to do by bringing great versatile defensive player that plays at the 4. You don't want KD to get injured. Man, Tucker would so ideal for this team but the only way to get him is through the Harden trade and I'm not counting on that :/ Hoping for the best anyway.

Let’s say we traded for Harden. Now our backcourt is Kyrie and Harden.

I’m assuming you agree that Joe Harris and KD should be in the starting 5.

So if KD is playing the 3, that gives us:

PG - Kyrie
SG - Harden
SF - Durant

So where should we play Joe Harris? Is he our starting PF now?

Return to Brooklyn Nets