ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards sign Robin Lopez

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,966

Re: Keith Smith: Wizards sign Robin Lopez 

Post#81 » by dckingsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:03 am

Ruzious wrote:I think Lopez used to be a good interior defender. After watching the playoffs, I don't think he's a good interior defender anymore. And I do know that his production stats took an enormous drop last season - at age 31/32. Some might say that's a bad sign. And look at his rebounding. It's been going down badly for the last 3 seasons and was 6.1 per 40 minutes last season. That's mediocre for a small forward - absolutely pathetic for a center who has no positional versatility - and we're already a poor rebounding team. So even if he makes a good defensive play, he's likely giving up an easy put-back. There's no value in that.

Great - he made 1/3 of his 3's - that nobody guarded him on. If he's not stretching the defense, making 1/3 of your 3's isn't really helping the team.

I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. I don't want him to be a bad signing, but he was, and it's obvious.

Just thinking but... If the Wall "thing" hadn't happened and we signed Noel instead of Lopez I think we would have had a bit of euphoria on the board. But I guess that is a, "If I had cheese, I could have had a ham and cheese sandwich if I had ham" kind of statement.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#82 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:13 am

Oh, it's a completely senseless move. There's not much doubt about that.

Doesn't mean people won't defend it. Thus, Ernie never made a stupid move that didn't get some support on this board. Way it is.

Again, the main thing I get from our signing Gill, Childs, Lopez & Neto is... confusion.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#83 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:20 am

The only thing I got is that Rui and Lopez share the same agent and this is one of those "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" type of things that pays off 5 years down the line. It's also possible Noel doesn't sign for $5 million here, or Cauley-Stein signs for $4 million like he did with Dallas, or Thompson wants more years at the MLE.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#84 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:31 am

Rafael122 wrote:The only thing I got is that Rui and Lopez share the same agent and this is one of those "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" type of things that pays off 5 years down the line. It's also possible Noel doesn't sign for $5 million here, or Cauley-Stein signs for $4 million like he did with Dallas, or Thompson wants more years at the MLE.

Lots of potential reasons why Lopez and not those others, but why so much money? It's not like it's the missing piece in a contender. I've liked Lopez' career, and even in decline, would have liked this as cheap (2-3 mil) C depth, but it sounds like a move that reminds the league about which team can be had.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#85 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:40 am

montestewart wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:The only thing I got is that Rui and Lopez share the same agent and this is one of those "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" type of things that pays off 5 years down the line. It's also possible Noel doesn't sign for $5 million here, or Cauley-Stein signs for $4 million like he did with Dallas, or Thompson wants more years at the MLE.

Lots of potential reasons why Lopez and not those others, but why so much money? It's not like it's the missing piece in a contender. I've liked Lopez' career, and even in decline, would have liked this as cheap (2-3 mil) C depth, but it sounds like a move that reminds the league about which team can be had.

The going rate for a center is basically the MLE.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/center/

The Noel deal is an outlier, but the fringe players got what they could, and the Plumlee/Baynes/Thompson tier got MLE money. I thought Lopez would have gotten Noel $, not the entire MLE.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#86 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 am

I think there's something to that. Several days ago, Lopez opted out of his $5 million option with the Bucks (and Bucks fans were very appreciative), and now I wonder if he had some arrangement through his agent (trying to create favor with the Bucks) that another team would pick him up for more money - and the Wizards ended up being that team - as a favor to Lopez' agent - and I think that goes with your theory.

There's an awful lot of favors being done that heavily involve agents, and I think when something unusual happens - like this signing - agents are playing a major role - in order to get and give favors that help give them more power. Sometimes it's for the good of the team, and sometimes it's not - and this time the Wiz are paying the price.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#87 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 am

Ruzious wrote:

I think there's something to that. Several days ago, Lopez opted out of his $5 million option with the Bucks (and Bucks fans were very appreciative), and now I wonder if he had some arrangement through his agent (trying to create favor with the Bucks) that another team would pick him up for more money - and the Wizards ended up being that team - as a favor to Lopez' agent - and I think that goes with your theory.

There's an awful lot of favors being done that heavily involve agents, and I think when something unusual happens - like this signing - agents are playing a major role - in order to get and give favors that help give them more power. Sometimes it's for the good of the team, and sometimes it's not - and this time the Wiz are paying the price.

I believe the theory is Lopez opted out b/c its possible he would have been involved in a trade had he opted in. So he wanted to control his own destiny. I mean just look at McGee, opted in and then got traded to Cleveland. Guaranteed he would have been in that trade for Bogdan along with Ersan and DDV.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:38 am

Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I believe the theory is Lopez opted out b/c its possible he would have been involved in a trade had he opted in. So he wanted to control his own destiny. I mean just look at McGee, opted in and then got traded to Cleveland. Guaranteed he would have been in that trade for Bogdan along with Ersan and DDV.

Lopez opting out made it so the Bucks thought they could get Bogdan - assuming he signed at roughly 15 mil - which Bogdan's agent led them to believe he would. At that price, they could have done it under the max cap - which is above the lux tax threshold. Lopez doing that was what led the Bucks to thinking they had Bogdon. Then, Bogdon's agent pulled the football away on the agreement - like Lucy with poor Charlie Brown - raising the price for Bogdon.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#89 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:52 am

Rafael122 wrote:
montestewart wrote:

The Noel deal is an outlier, but the fringe players got what they could, and the Plumlee/Baynes/Thompson tier got MLE money. I thought Lopez would have gotten Noel $, not the entire MLE.

That's the going rate for a C with a name and a resume, but you're just filling a spot, what's the point of throwing the MLE at it? As I said, it isn't like this is the magic move, so why not risk on lesser knowns, rookie FAs, European/Asian retreads, etc. If it works out, great, if not, it isn't like they would go far this year without a major shuffle, a shuffle that would likely require a really savvy use of the MLE.

I've been very busy the last few days and have to play complaint catch up. Considering the state of the country right now, complaining about the Wizards underwhelming again feels kind of inappropriate, but at least the comfort of familiar misery helps to maintain sanity.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#90 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:54 am

Ruzious wrote:

The Wizards are like the Kansas City Athletics.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#91 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 am

I would have signed Aaron Baynes
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 am

FAH1223 wrote:I would have signed Aaron Baynes

I'm guessing the opportunity to start with Toronto was more enticing than to split time with Bryant in Washington.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#93 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 pm

Here's my thing about this.

Robin Lopez as a relatively unathletic big carved a niche for himself as a tough and sturdy defensive presence. He may not have the teeth to back up his bark right now, but he still knows positional defense and the wheres and why's of it. I think he will be a very useful role model and practice opponent for TBJ. He's got toughness and pride and willingness to be in the picture on defense. Also he talks on D, which can help players around him learn where to be and what to do. On offense out of nowhere he suddenly learned to hit the corner 3 at a decent clip, his shot chart used to be all midrange jumpers but with the Bucks he remade his game to pretty much only dunk or shoot from outside.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/robin-lopez-shot-chart-by-season

I don't hate him as a player even if it seems like something of an overpay. But it is one season, and if John makes him look good with that corner shot, then he may even prove a decent trade piece add in if there is a midseason deal that needs to happen.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,090

Post#94 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Lopez is not on the same tier as those 3. Its not even close.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,090

Post#95 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm

montestewart wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I get it but I have heard some variation of this excuse for the last 10+ years and have yet to see how the Wizards benefit from any of it. Juan Carlos Navarro is one example that comes to mind of the Wizards doing a solid for no good reason.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Dat2U wrote:
montestewart wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think there's something to that. Several days ago, Lopez opted out of his $5 million option with the Bucks (and Bucks fans were very appreciative), and now I wonder if he had some arrangement through his agent (trying to create favor with the Bucks) that another team would pick him up for more money - and the Wizards ended up being that team - as a favor to Lopez' agent - and I think that goes with your theory.

I get it but I have heard some variation of this excuse for the last 10+ years and have yet to see how the Wizards benefit from any of it. Juan Carlos Navarro is one example that comes to mind of the Wizards doing a solid for no good reason.

Believe me, I'm not defending them in the slightest - just pointing out what's problematic.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,298

Post#97 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Interesting...

Read on Twitter

They're all in on Bryant. Good for them.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#98 » by tontoz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 pm

I like Bryant but he just doesnt have the defensive awareness/motor that you want from a center.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#99 » by Frichuela » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:17 pm

tontoz wrote:I like Bryant but he just doesnt have the defensive awareness/motor that you want from a center.

Agreed. This is my concern. Hope time proves me wrong!
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#100 » by Gig18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Lopez is also another silly guy who may help keep the clubhouse loose.
that's always a good thing. :wink:

Return to Washington Wizards