ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1681 » by KidA24 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm

jmuelly wrote:I’ve got a TP Link Deco M5 mesh wifi system in my home. I have a 300mbps internet through spectrum, straight from the modem to a hardwired laptop I can pull between 400-450. Plugged directly to the mesh unit connected I can get the same results. Doing an test on the wifi system it reads the same speeds internally as well. The issue comes when it broadcasts over wifi, it begins to see some larger drops and often inconsistent at that. By large I mean often times less than 100mbps. My PS5 is downstairs almost directly below the base unit directly plugged into a mesh pod and the speeds there will range from 70-300, if on Wifi its closer to 80-130. My son has a ps4 pro plugged into one in another room not far away on the lower level and his speed will range from 50-150 (I credit some of this to ps4 being not so great with net) My other son in the next room has an older regular ps4 and he’s pulling 30-50mbps. Both their uploads vary and are much less than should be.

I connect my work laptop and almost never see speeds over 100mbps over wifi. If I access with my phone it’s very hit or miss as well. One run will be 300+ the next will be 60.

This unit is dual band. I initially found it to be more successful splitting this. On the primary access I turned off the 2.4ghz and instead renamed the guest network to run just he 2.4ghz and the main the run 5. I even attempted to move the pods around the the home in hope it would improve. I also even took one of the pods downstairs and swapped it with the main base to see if that broadcast better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving speed within my home? The system is very reliable it just isn’t broadcasting the full speed I feel I should be getting despite it receiving those speeds from the modem.

Thanks

My understanding is that mesh points cut your speed in half.

Also, the more points a connection has to go through, the slower the speed.

Centralizing your main access point could help. Otherwise, wiring stuff directly might help.

If you don't have cat 5, using a moCa connection could be an alternative
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#1682 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:56 am

How are you non cable people watching sports? Looking into getting rid of spectrum and getting Hulu Live.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#1683 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:How are you non cable people watching sports? Looking into getting rid of spectrum and getting Hulu Live.

All sports in general, or Wisconsin specifically?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#1684 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:01 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:How are you non cable people watching sports? Looking into getting rid of spectrum and getting Hulu Live.

With a basic spectrum package it's the same price as Hulu Live, only you don't get the delay when watching live. If live sports are what you want, cable is back to being the way to go unless you want to watch pirated streams (which are quite good now days). I chose the convenience of cable.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#1685 » by glenn » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:08 am

I have Hulu TV and plan on ditching this month. They have raised their price by $10 twice in the past year, so at this point there's really no cost savings. And, more importantly, they dropped Fox Sports regional stations back in October.
:reporter:
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1686 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:05 pm

There was a big drop of 3080s and Ryzen chips on Best Buy this morning and I missed out just barely. Had a 5900X in cart and it bugged out when trying to select shipping or in-store pickup. Sooooooooo close.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1687 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:59 pm

God I love Demon's Souls. Got back into yesterday after a few days off. I'm doing alright. I've finished 6 of the 16 bosses, including the archdemon Dragon God. Soul Level is 46 and I'm enjoying my Royalty Magic/Faith build. But next time I'll definitely try something tankier.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#1688 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:50 am

My PS5 shipped and is scheduled to arrive Sunday.

I'm currently on another planet.

ETA: Ergo I am holding off on Age of Calamity. Planning to pick-up Demons Souls at some point, but will probably start with some of the PS+ games honestly. I'd like to get a taste of the series from Bloodborne (which I know sounds brutal), and honestly I think I'll play GOW finally. It sounds like it got some nice PS5 upgrades and the Dual Sense effects are really featured.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1689 » by Sauce Boss » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:05 am

So here’s where I am at with parts for the new PC:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DoctorDrew/saved/NftZwP

Haven’t ordered the RAM yet and need to find a GPU (hoping for a Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT, but could also swing back toward a 3080). Hoping to find a 5900X still and return the 5600X.

Only thing I’m stuck on is the case and a CPU cooler. Trying to decide between the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX and the Fractal Design Meshify 2. Thought maybe someone had thoughts.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#1690 » by Licensed to Il » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:10 am

I got the new call of duty, despite not having bought or played one in 8-9 years (mostly because I love the cold war era). Man, it was glitchy and the story was trash and I felt like Ive played it before (there literally was a black ops set in Vietnam already). I do not recommend.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1691 » by Sauce Boss » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:23 am

Licensed to Il wrote:I got the new call of duty, despite not having bought or played one in 8-9 years (mostly because I love the cold war era). Man, it was glitchy and the story was trash and I felt like Ive played it before (there literally was a black ops set in Vietnam already). I do not recommend.

I’ve heard quite the bad things about Cold War. It also really hurts that Warzone is supposedly really good (I’ve never played) and it’s free.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1692 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 am

MikeIsGood wrote:My PS5 shipped and is scheduled to arrive Sunday.

ETA: Ergo I am holding off on Age of Calamity. Planning to pick-up Demons Souls at some point, but will probably start with some of the PS+ games honestly. I'd like to get a taste of the series from Bloodborne (which I know sounds brutal), and honestly I think I'll play GOW finally. It sounds like it got some nice PS5 upgrades and the Dual Sense effects are really featured.

So after playing a boatload in the last week (I'm WFH and work is slow) I have some thoughts for a Souls newcomer. This is probably gonna end up being why I recommend starting with Demon's Souls.

First the enemy density is pretty jarringly different from other Soulsborne games. In MANY levels, there are only a handful of enemies you really need to deal with before getting to the boss. It's not to say that occasionally some levels don't have mobs, but in almost every instance you can take on enemies on one-by-one. Also, they just seem to be much easier than what I'm used to. Like much, much easier.

Speaking of easier, the bosses are pushovers! I was actually thinking of you when I played through this. I can see newcomers playing this as their first Soulsborne and wondering what the big deal is. During my first playthrough the most I died at a boss was twice. I didn't finish that playthrough because halfway into it I didn't like my mage/warrior build and how limited I felt the gear was. I started over as a straight up knight yesterday, and I'll get to that in a bit. But it seems like many (most?) are gimmicky or can be cheesed. I haven't played a single boss that felt anything like the heart-pounding, white knuckle, afternoon long battles that are in DS3, Bloodborne, or Nioh.

The level design is interesting, though, and the first time through this is what will frustrate anyone. Levels are mazes upon mazes. If you don't know where you're going, you're gonna be inching forward incrementally and exploring every corner. That's part of the fun, because there are an impossible amount of secrets and cool stuff to find.

The big difference in level design though is there are five "worlds" with three or four separate but distinct stages in each. Other Soulsborne game have multiple checkpoints along the way for you to rest, heal, and level up. Demon's Souls doesn't and that's what makes it so interesting. One checkpoint at the very beginning of every stage, and if you die at any point (including at a boss fight), you go right the hell back to the beginning. It can feel daunting on your first run through, but you quickly open up permanent paths and shortcuts. Then when you die you can simply sprint back to where you were, running by enemies you don't want to face again.

Another BIG difference I see is when it comes to accumulating souls, the currency. In virtually every other Soulsborne game, if you played your way through a level and managed not to die, you were going to accumulate a significant amount of souls, enough to level up a handful of times. If you died and managed your way back, you were rolling in souls. Demon Souls is pretty stingy with its currency if you follow the recommended "path" through the game. Either you find a good farming spot (I only know of three so far), or you try your luck going into one of the stages where you're extremely underleveled. You can do that, because after finishing the first stage, you can literally tackle any of the five main stages in any order you want.

That gets me to where I'm currently at. Like I said, I started over yesterday afternoon as as a knight and ignored all magic. I didn't die a single time in any of the first handful of stages. Stages that took over an hour I was breezing through because I know where the keys were, which enemies were where, where the shortcuts were. I'm currently at level 58, which seems nuts after only a day+ of playing. I'm skipping over a bunch of levels and going straight for the final boss (technically) here in a few minutes, just because I feel like I can take him. I'll go back for the others of course because there's still maybe 40% of the game I haven't played, but I'm already looking forward to new game plus.

tl;dr: Demon Souls is the easiest Soulsborne game. It's also obviously the prettiest, so why not take your PS5 for a drive? The bosses are pushovers compare to the nightmares in future Soulsborne games. Level design is great and everything is accessible. It's a perfect entry point into the genre.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#1693 » by machu46 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:56 am

MikeIsGood wrote:I just successfully ordered a second one (it appears). I'm cancelling the first - not going to be a **** price scalper - but making sure the second one (which is JUST a disc console) goes through before I cancel the first (which is a huge digital bundle).

I just can't believe it was such a stressful struggle for a week, then I got 2 orders complete in under an hour.

I haven’t been blessed with the lightning fast download speeds others are getting from the PS5, and there’s a couple weird quirks with the interface, but it really is an incredible console. The load times make such a gigantic difference. When I’d have a bug in a game that forced me to close it, it used to cost me multiple minutes of gaming, whereas now it’s literally seconds.

Hoping to pick up the Miles Morales ultimate edition for Christmas since I never played the PS4 version but 2K is pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#1694 » by tydett » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:15 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:My PS5 shipped and is scheduled to arrive Sunday.

So after playing a boatload in the last week (I'm WFH and work is slow) I have some thoughts for a Souls newcomer. This is probably gonna end up being why I recommend starting with Demon's Souls.

First the enemy density is pretty jarringly different from other Soulsborne games. In MANY levels, there are only a handful of enemies you really need to deal with before getting to the boss. It's not to say that occasionally some levels don't have mobs, but in almost every instance you can take on enemies on one-by-one. Also, they just seem to be much easier than what I'm used to. Like much, much easier.

Speaking of easier, the bosses are pushovers! I was actually thinking of you when I played through this. I can see newcomers playing this as their first Soulsborne and wondering what the big deal is. During my first playthrough the most I died at a boss was twice. I didn't finish that playthrough because halfway into it I didn't like my mage/warrior build and how limited I felt the gear was. I started over as a straight up knight yesterday, and I'll get to that in a bit. But it seems like many (most?) are gimmicky or can be cheesed. I haven't played a single boss that felt anything like the heart-pounding, white knuckle, afternoon long battles that are in DS3, Bloodborne, or Nioh.

The level design is interesting, though, and the first time through this is what will frustrate anyone. Levels are mazes upon mazes. If you don't know where you're going, you're gonna be inching forward incrementally and exploring every corner. That's part of the fun, because there are an impossible amount of secrets and cool stuff to find.

The big difference in level design though is there are five "worlds" with three or four separate but distinct stages in each. Other Soulsborne game have multiple checkpoints along the way for you to rest, heal, and level up. Demon's Souls doesn't and that's what makes it so interesting. One checkpoint at the very beginning of every stage, and if you die at any point (including at a boss fight), you go right the hell back to the beginning. It can feel daunting on your first run through, but you quickly open up permanent paths and shortcuts. Then when you die you can simply sprint back to where you were, running by enemies you don't want to face again.

Another BIG difference I see is when it comes to accumulating souls, the currency. In virtually every other Soulsborne game, if you played your way through a level and managed not to die, you were going to accumulate a significant amount of souls, enough to level up a handful of times. If you died and managed your way back, you were rolling in souls. Demon Souls is pretty stingy with its currency if you follow the recommended "path" through the game. Either you find a good farming spot (I only know of three so far), or you try your luck going into one of the stages where you're extremely underleveled. You can do that, because after finishing the first stage, you can literally tackle any of the five main stages in any order you want.

That gets me to where I'm currently at. Like I said, I started over yesterday afternoon as as a knight and ignored all magic. I didn't die a single time in any of the first handful of stages. Stages that took over an hour I was breezing through because I know where the keys were, which enemies were where, where the shortcuts were. I'm currently at level 58, which seems nuts after only a day+ of playing. I'm skipping over a bunch of levels and going straight for the final boss (technically) here in a few minutes, just because I feel like I can take him. I'll go back for the others of course because there's still maybe 40% of the game I haven't played, but I'm already looking forward to new game plus.

tl;dr: Demon Souls is the easiest Soulsborne game. It's also obviously the prettiest, so why not take your PS5 for a drive? The bosses are pushovers compare to the nightmares in future Soulsborne games. Level design is great and everything is accessible. It's a perfect entry point into the genre.

I will counter this by saying that Demon's Souls has been my worst experience with a Soulsborne game. Though I can echo the beautiful world design, that's the most frustrating part for me. The Soulsborne experience for me has always been about bosses, and this game is sorely lacking in that department. I'm probably about as far as RS had gotten (7 areas?). The lack of restart points (called Bonfires in Dark Souls) aside from the beginning of a level and every place you kill a boss means that every time you die to bull, you have to start over at the beginning - and there is a TON of bull. Mobs who block the path forward, unseen enemies hitting you with an attack as you fight other enemies, environmental hazards (although these are the easiest to learn from) all might frustrate new player - bull is not new to the Soulsborne series, but this game doesn't hit the balance that the later games do.

As DB says, the bosses in this game have been mostly forgettable. Only one has registered for me on the "wow, that was a good fight" level and the rest pretty much can be cheesed, which might be fine for a new player (if they don't quit before even making it to bosses). I haven't enjoyed it as much as the others in the series and doubt I will sink as much time into it as I have the others (even the red-headed stepchild, DS2).
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#1695 » by Ayt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:23 am

I hope you all check out the best game of the year, Hades.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1696 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:54 am

Ayt wrote:I hope you all check out the best game of the year, Hades.

Are you just getting to it now?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1697 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:26 am

tydett wrote:I will counter this by saying that Demon's Souls has been my worst experience with a Soulsborne game. Though I can echo the beautiful world design, that's the most frustrating part for me. The Soulsborne experience for me has always been about bosses, and this game is sorely lacking in that department. I'm probably about as far as RS had gotten (7 areas?). The lack of restart points (called Bonfires in Dark Souls) aside from the beginning of a level and every place you kill a boss means that every time you die to bull, you have to start over at the beginning - and there is a TON of bull. Mobs who block the path forward, unseen enemies hitting you with an attack as you fight other enemies, environmental hazards (although these are the easiest to learn from) all might frustrate new player - bull is not new to the Soulsborne series, but this game doesn't hit the balance that the later games do.

As DB says, the bosses in this game have been mostly forgettable. Only one has registered for me on the "wow, that was a good fight" level and the rest pretty much can be cheesed, which might be fine for a new player (if they don't quit before even making it to bosses). I haven't enjoyed it as much as the others in the series and doubt I will sink as much time into it as I have the others (even the red-headed stepchild, DS2).

I would say since the enemies and bosses are all so easy, the sense of accomplishment comes from the level design. It's figuring out where to go and how every route connects, and especially finding that important shortcut. I get what you're saying about newcomers being frustrated. Early on I thought Stonefang Tunnel and Tower of Latria were maddening, especially the latter with all the **** mind flayers. But if you stick with it, it becomes easy. One tip in the mines/tunnels: a mele weapon that does magic damage is a lifesaver. Makes the whole level a lot easier. Go get the Crescent Falshion+1 in 4-1.

Anyway, I spent two hours tonight farming materials for a bow because I thought it would make the Blue Dragon God easier. It did, but only marginally. I took that thing out, then a phantom, then Old King Allant. It's supposedly the toughest boss in the game, and I was beating tougher enemies in the first 15 minutes of Ninja Gaiden Black back in the day.

I really need to get to NG+.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1698 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:50 pm

I'm going back and cleaning up the areas I didn't hit before Allant, and I'm amazed at how easy these bosses have been. The Swamp of Sorrow is annoying, but if you bring a Ring of Regeneration and anti-poison mats you're fine. I got to the boss cloud (I thought? I didn't know) and just went for it without any knowledge of what the Dirty Colossus was. Easiest boss yet. I can't imagine losing to this dude.

I've got the Old Monk and Maiden Astraea left.

ETA: Astrea done.

ETA2: Monk's done too.

I loved the hell outta this game. It was way too easy, but I got a lot of hours out of it and I'm looking forward to NG+.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1699 » by crkone » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 pm

The best description I've seen for Demon Souls is it feels like a PS3 game with a makeover. From got much better developing games.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1700 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 pm

crkone wrote:The best description I've seen for Demon Souls is it feels like a PS3 game with a makeover. From got much better developing games.

I was late on the From games. I can't remember if it was DS3 or BB, but playing this one I now get what people were complaining about with DS3 with the unimaginative and straightforward level design. I loved that game, though and was my favorite of the DS trilogy.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks