ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Wall wants to be traded

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Re: Shams: Wall wants to be traded 

Post#141 » by Shoe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 pm

WOJ hasn't reported anything. If it was a trade demand you'd think that'd be something easy to tweet out. If it was just Wall wanting to explore his options, I'm sure he'd like to play with Harden or the Clippers/Lakers, but maybe Wall knows his market is thin and is expecting to start the season with the Wizards.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#142 » by WizarDynasty » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 pm

bsilver wrote:Don't get the idea that Wiz are Beal's team. There's only a few like Lebron where that designation makes any sense. Beal's not a top 10 player in the league.

No way should Wall be traded now when his value is so low. Better to trade Beal when value is at it's highest. (at least it was before free agency). Having to give up future #1s to get rid of Wall will kill our prospects for several years.

Give John two choices. Preferred option is work it out. Second is play hard and show you're still allstar level, so a trade can bring back positive value.

Why would we want Russell Westbrook? We all saw how much he hurt Houston in the playoffs. Would rather look at other options.

It's Beal's team until John picks up new skils and stops being a ball stopper. John is a ball stopper because he doesn't have an accurate high quick release 3 point shot and it many point guards don't have it and John is one of them. John has been in the league for almost a decade, he as even been on a team with Paul Pierce. He had the chance to study and practice Paul Pierce shooting mechanics years ago. Bradley Beal did.
Wall clearly had the money to hire Paul for a few hours a week to perfect his quick release three point jump shot but didn't. This was Wall's choice. I am pretty sure, even now, Wall could fly Paul in on late night study session and learn from the best rather than Partying. just saying. Had Wall figured this out, he wouldn't be eons and light years behind Beal in the quick release 3 point shooting off the dribble. Beal transformed himself into an all purpose guard with point guard skills, Wall still has a slow release pick n roll 3 shot with a low release point. That is the reason Beal is shouldl own this team. He has developed the most valueable skill in the league while Wall is focusing on dunking the ball and pull up 2 point shots. Wall has not focused on shooting contested 3 point shots against athletic defenders with a 9'2 standing reach.
Clearly wall could have hired some athletic really long defenders to practice shootinng over off the dribble.
This is what has kept Wall from improving and getting his rightful respect across the league.
Wall is not in the gym shooting one handed 3 point shots with a his hired 9'2 standing reach assistant. You have to trained in difficult defense in order to beat it. Wall isn't doing this.
He has Bonga on the team who i think has a 9'2 reach, maybe Wall slips in some extra cash to work out at 3 point defense up until the season starts.
Even with his bad achilles, he could have sat in chair and performed a paul pierce 3 point shoot technique on youtube that he did with Gordon Hayward.
When you are close to highest paid player in the league, you have many resources. Instead of focusing on who owns the team, focus on hitting contested 3 points with a tall guy fighting through the screen and still challenging your three. That should force Wall to start shooting at higher release point and alot quicker.
After Wall masters this, then maybe he can start talking about wanting to be traded because then he will have the most valuable asset in the league. Shooting a quick and accurate with high release, contested 3 point shot on a pick and roll.
No one in the league respects his quick release 3 point shot, with a tall defenders hand in his face.
So there you go Wall.
Give props to Beal, he has put in 1000's of hours. Hire some long assistants and get to work. Stop focusing on trying to outrace poeple on the fast break and focusing on shooting with a high release point in half court pick and roll with a contested shot and bring in pual pierce. Maybe even watch youtube video with Paul pierce teaching an injured Hayward to shoot the three from a chair to help wit his quick release form.
YOu had Paul on your team, go reach out to him.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#143 » by DCZards » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:14 pm

JAR69 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Personally I think John Wall has shown pretty good character in being a good soldier for the organization. He was ready to come back last season, has been burning to do so, to find proper outlet for his years long frustration, but the scuttlebutt was the organization wanted no pushback from their insurance payment, so they sat him down even in the bubble when he wanted to play.

I wonder if this is an underrated part of Wall's desire to leave. He rehabbed for 18 months, thought he was ready to come back, and was playing in pickup games. He may have thought the bubble was a great chance to reintroduce himself to the league and the world. But the FO was worried about insurance and didn't want to drop out of the lottery by actually winning in Orlando, and held him out, claiming it was for his own good. But at the same time, they were stealthily shopping him - so maybe they held him out also to be certain he didn't get hurt again or look bad, scuttling any chance of a trade.

All this is speculation, but I could see it playing a part.

You’re right. This is pure speculation. I’m not buying for one minute that insurance considerations were a significant factor in Wall not playing in the bubble. Wall didn’t play because it was in the best interest of his long-term health--and the franchise’s top dollar investment in him.

I’m sure Wall wanted to compete sooner rather than later. What athlete doesn’t? But sometimes people (especially young, highly motivated folks) have to simply be told “no.”
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#144 » by prime1time » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:56 am

Our best hope is that Wall plays well and can be an addition for a contender. And we move him. It's unconscionable to pay to move him. In that case, he's better off staying home.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#145 » by Eli Babak » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Hopefully Wall grows up and gets over this. Such a silly situation.

(I'd love to see Wall gone because that contract is horrible but I'm not giving up assets in order to do so. Let's hope he'll have a great season like CP3 did and improves his stock.)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Post#146 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 pm

DCZards wrote:
JAR69 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Personally I think John Wall has shown pretty good character in being a good soldier for the organization. He was ready to come back last season, has been burning to do so, to find proper outlet for his years long frustration, but the scuttlebutt was the organization wanted no pushback from their insurance payment, so they sat him down even in the bubble when he wanted to play.

I wonder if this is an underrated part of Wall's desire to leave. He rehabbed for 18 months, thought he was ready to come back, and was playing in pickup games. He may have thought the bubble was a great chance to reintroduce himself to the league and the world. But the FO was worried about insurance and didn't want to drop out of the lottery by actually winning in Orlando, and held him out, claiming it was for his own good. But at the same time, they were stealthily shopping him - so maybe they held him out also to be certain he didn't get hurt again or look bad, scuttling any chance of a trade.

You’re right. This is pure speculation. I’m not buying for one minute that insurance considerations were a significant factor in Wall not playing in the bubble. Wall didn’t play because it was in the best interest of his long-term health--and the franchise’s top dollar investment in him.

I’m sure Wall wanted to compete sooner rather than later. What athlete doesn’t? But sometimes people (especially young, highly motivated folks) have to simply be told “no.”

I'm pretty sure the team got the insurance money once Wall missed half of the season. Playing in the bubble would only have cost the team those 8 games of salary, not the entire season of salary.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#147 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Eli Babak wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully Wall grows up and gets over this. Such a silly situation.

(I'd love to see Wall gone because that contract is horrible but I'm not giving up assets in order to do so. Let's hope he'll have a great season like CP3 did and improves his stock.)

I’m so relieved to hear this news. I’m so glad him and Tommy talked it over.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#148 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Looks like the plan is to hope everything blows over:

Read on Twitter

There's also a pretty high likelihood that the story has been exaggerated a bit. Wall might prefer to be traded, but that's not the same as demanding to be traded.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#149 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#150 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

More Wall news

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#151 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 pm

Shoe wrote:WOJ hasn't reported anything. If it was a trade demand you'd think that'd be something easy to tweet out. If it was just Wall wanting to explore his options, I'm sure he'd like to play with Harden or the Clippers/Lakers, but maybe Wall knows his market is thin and is expecting to start the season with the Wizards.

Read on Twitter
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#152 » by Meliorus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:54 pm

What a rollercoaster ending on a good note. This was great news to see. Seems like Shams needs to re-check some of his sources.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#153 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 pm

nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not sure who Ohm is, but he seems to be a more reliable source than Shams - who seems to run with everything that's fed to him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#154 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not sure who Ohm is, but he seems to be a more reliable source than Shams - who seems to run with everything that's fed to him.

Ohm is at ESPN. Woj retweeted that tweet. Everyone thinks its shade at Shams :lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#155 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Meliorus wrote:What a rollercoaster ending on a good note. This was great news to see. Seems like Shams needs to re-check some of his sources.

Based on David Aldridge's follow up to the Shams story, it looks like there is definitely some element of truth to the story. I don't doubt that Wall is unhappy, or at least temporarily unhappy with the Wizards. But it probably isn't quite to the point where the relationship is unsalvageable. As I said before, lots of players are often unhappy, particularly All-Star caliber players playing on sub-.500 teams.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#156 » by WallToWall » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:06 pm

So.... who started all this?? He needs to be kneed in the groin in a friendly pickup game.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,365

Post#157 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:09 pm

nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
JAR69 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the team got the insurance money once Wall missed half of the season. Playing in the bubble would only have cost the team those 8 games of salary, not the entire season of salary.

Except Wall was posting videos of his health and readiness to return throughout the year. The estimates of recovery would have had him available just about at the mark where insurance would kick in, plus or minus a month. But articles were saying he was ahead of the game in recovery. Insurance has investigators etc. who might have raised a question. Health wise the team was especially prudent, but this is a business decision as well. If they had brought him back and full strength juuuust after the insurance was required to pay for it, you never know but that it might have caused an issue. HE stayed out the whole year so the team derived no benefit, no questions asked. Still, from what Wall was saying he was healthy and ready, but the team was saying Nope, No Way, No chance.

In any case, in a year when his mom passed and he was watching the team struggle without him and he was feeling healthy and was himself fiending to play, I have no doubt he would wish he could retreat to the bubble and test out his wheels in an environment with the best of the best. John loves competing against the top players, he has always raised his game against them and has friends and respect around the league. But the team said no and he is a good soldier. Still, it has to have been burning him not to play, you can see it in his pick up games. The fire is there.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#158 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 pm

DC, some expert Diplomacy work was done behind the scenes
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#159 » by Frichuela » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Let’s hope they can work things out...

Trading Wall at 30 cents on the dollar was not optimal. The plan should be for a less athletic but more “cerebral” version of Wall to show up, be a great compliment to Beal and improve further the good offense dynamics of last season. And then hope Wall can go back to being a good defender and help boost the Wiz putrid defensive scheme.
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#160 » by Gig18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Oh, there's tension. Everybody's just realizing the situation for what it is.
I hope they're all able to work this out. It would have been more telling for John to come out and say "whoa, I didn't say that."

But hey, if they can work it out, it will be good to see John, Brad, Rui, Bertans, Avdija, Troy, Bryant, and all the new guys on court.
that's all we can ask for.

Return to Washington Wizards