Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Re: Turncoat Trezz.. Lets talk about it 

Post#41 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:30 am

TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Let's face it--we got REALLY LUCKY nobody offered Ibaka some REAL money and he settled for our MLE. I suppose it's possible the Clips FO thought that if Ibaka turned us down, Trezz would still be dangling out there, looking for the big money himself. Instead he pounced on the Lakers MLE--perhaps out of hurt and spite that the Clippers [apparently] hadn't even contacted him.

Sure, I get that, but who actually had the money to offer him? Charlotte? Atlanta?

I think it was pretty clear Ibaka wasn't a serious option for those teams and his value was always for the MLE with a contender. I had Brooklyn and the Lakers slightly ahead of us, but I think Ibaka and his agent knew where he wanted to play.

So are we lucky? Maybe? I think there is much more to it than that.

Ibaka was one of the last major FAs to sign. I would think the delay was in hanging around hoping the big money might materialize somewhere, or else he'd have signed right away. Indeed it might have helped get one of the other FAs the Clips were pursuing, dunno. It wouldn't have hurt, anyway.

The Clips figured the same as you did, gambled, and won. But man, this offseason would have been a DISASTER if they hadn't won this gamble. We'd have been palpably worse than last year while the Lakers got better.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#42 » by donemilio21 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:13 am

If Trezz was actually good, he would have gotten more than $9.5M a year. 3rd strings are getting that contract. In the world where players putting 18 and 9 are getting $20-25M a year contracts, and where Adebayo got a $40M a year extension while putting 15 and 10, Trezz barely got a call from a team other than Lakers. There is a reason for that. He is one dimensional and proved to be a distraction in the locker room. Ibaka is a huge upgrade.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#43 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:50 am

Stephen A Smith said that Montrez and Paul George hated each other which is why he left
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#44 » by nickhx2 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:57 am

i mean if the clips didn't bother to offer him anything meaningful we can't really say he left, can we
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#45 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 am

donemilio21 wrote:If Trezz was actually good, he would have gotten more than $9.5M a year. 3rd strings are getting that contract. In the world where players putting 18 and 9 are getting $20-25M a year contracts, and where Adebayo got a $40M a year extension while putting 15 and 10, Trezz barely got a call from a team other than Lakers. There is a reason for that. He is one dimensional and proved to be a distraction in the locker room. Ibaka is a huge upgrade.

I agree Ibaka is an upgrade but by that logic Ibaka isn't very good either because he signed for the same money Trezz did.

Trezz had to go, for both basketball and non-basketball reasons, but he could well turn out to be a better fit for the Lakers than Ibaka would have been. 18 ppg is nothing to turn your nose up at. SOMEBODY has to put the ball on the hole and Trezz averaged 18 not just in this year's 6MOY regular season but in last year's playoffs as well, where he shot 73%!

As for Adebayo's a contract, the Heat are betting on his continued progress since he's only 22 and coming off a strong playoffs. Adebayo averaged 16 and 10; Ibaka averaged 15 and 8. That's hardly a $20 million dollar difference.
lautreamont
Junior
And1: 248

Post#46 » by lautreamont » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:17 am

donemilio21 wrote:If Trezz was actually good, he would have gotten more than $9.5M a year. 3rd strings are getting that contract. In the world where players putting 18 and 9 are getting $20-25M a year contracts, and where Adebayo got a $40M a year extension while putting 15 and 10, Trezz barely got a call from a team other than Lakers. There is a reason for that. He is one dimensional and proved to be a distraction in the locker room. Ibaka is a huge upgrade.

Using your logic if Ibaka is a huge upgrade wouldn't he have been paid more than Trezz then? How many teams made Ibaka offers? I didn't hear about any others. He was talking to the Raptors and Clippers made the offer. Seems like Ibaka wasn't pursued much either. Ibaka has lost a lot of his athleticism. His blocked shots have fallen off a cliff. He was blocking 3.7 shots a game at his peak and was down to .8 shots a game last year. He hasn't made a defensive team in six years. Ibaka’s offensive production may have been inflated from playing with Lowry verses what we will see on the Clippers. It's imperative the Clippers get a quality PG to see Serge at his best. He's not someone you can just give the ball to and ask him to create.

I think you're right about the locker room distraction. It seems that Trezz and PG hated each other and of course Trezz would be the one to go since the Clippers gave up so much for PG.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#47 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:41 am

nickhx2 wrote:i mean if the clips didn't bother to offer him anything meaningful we can't really say he left, can we

That's what Trezz said. Don't blame me, Clipper Nation--this wasn't my idea...

Upon further review, looks like the thread title is unfair.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#48 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:15 am

Trezz will have a career year next regular season. He'll look so good that everyone will tell how stupid clippers are to let this guy slip from their hand to team up with enemy.
He got anthony davis to cover his defensive shortcomings. He'll play with LBJ, feeded by him like double time he had with Clippers. His ppg numbers may even reach to 20+ lakers will get the most benefit from his energy with possibly AD&LBJ coasts a lot of knicks-okc-hornets-kings-wizards games.

Get ready for this. This is a dream situation for harrell and his market for next year.

On the other hand, the succession of harrell will translate to any meaningful win for the lakers? Especially for postseason? I have huge doubts about that. Regardless of postseason, this is a match from heaven for the regular season.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#49 » by Clemenza » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:35 am

DieHardFan wrote:Trezz will have a career year next regular season. He'll look so good that everyone will tell how stupid clippers are to let this guy slip from their hand to team up with enemy.
He got anthony davis to cover his defensive shortcomings. He'll play with LBJ, feeded by him like double time he had with Clippers. His ppg numbers may even reach to 20+ lakers will get the most benefit from his energy with possibly AD&LBJ coasts a lot of knicks-okc-hornets-kings-wizards games.

Get ready for this. This is a dream situation for harrell and his market for next year.

On the other hand, the succession of harrell will translate to any meaningful win for the lakers? Especially for postseason? I have huge doubts about that. Regardless of postseason, this is a match from heaven for the regular season.

He's definitely going to get the crowd hype with a couple of his mad power dunks but I have to wait and see on him having a career year. Remember he was Doc's go to guy and finished every 4th quarter no matter who we played.. also the Lou Will/Trezz pick n roll made his career and got his name hot. Not sure what plays Vogel and Bron run for him -and will Vogel give him the type of minutes that Doc, his biggest cheerleader, gave him to shine. Not saying he doesn't bounce back and has a nice season, I just have to see how the Lakers use him first before anything. Also after the bubble games best believe all opposing teams will now sub in a taller player to guard him. Doc love the guy so much that he damn near ruined his career. I think Vogel will use him better and hide him on defense but that might mean less points and shot attempts for Trezz with the Lakers.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,072

Post#50 » by og15 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:55 pm

Clemenza wrote:I just have to see how the Lakers use him first before anything.

I agree, I don't think it's a given that he will have a career year as many suggest.

I know people are saying it, but minutes are a big factor. Remember the Clippers didn't have any big minute starter at the 4/5, which gave Harrell a lot of opportunity for minutes as a bench player. Last season he got 27.8 mpg. The Lakers have Davis, Harrell, Gasol, Kuzma, Morris and 96 minutes to share at the 4/5. Lineup data suggested that Kuzma played 88% of his minutes at PF. He played 25 mpg.

Let's reduce Davis' minutes from 34 to 32 with the assumption that they give him more rest early. Let's take Gasol down from 26 mpg he played last season to 19 mpg which is what Dwight played.

Total 96 mpg:
Davis 34 mpg at PF/C
Gasol 19 mpg at C

That leaves 43 minutes at PF/C for Harrell, Kuzma, Morris. Kuzma won't have much opportunity for minutes at the 3 because the Lakers have these players at the 1/2/3, Lebron, Schroder, KCP, Caruso, Matthews, so those minutes are basically all eaten up.

So if Harrell was to get 28 mpg again, the Lakers would only have 15 mpg at the 4 for Morris and Kuzma, I'm not very certain that's how the minutes will split up. The Lakers will likely run whomever is playing the best / has the best matchup the most minutes each game and to close out the games. This means that Harrell might end up with closer to around 22-24 mpg this season.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#51 » by TucsonClip » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:50 am

MPG wise, I don't think Harrell will get what he wants, but there are definitely going to be load management nights. Trez will play a huge load in carrying the offense when that happens.

I envision them giving him a regular season role much like we did. Difference being, we aren't going to rely on him in crunch time.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Joshuan3
Senior
And1: 178

Post#52 » by Joshuan3 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 am

Hypothetically speaking, if he signed with the Hornets, would there have been a chance to get Terry Rozier via sign and trade??
If so damn :banghead:
Joshuan3
Senior
And1: 178

Post#53 » by Joshuan3 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:18 am

lautreamont wrote:

Using your logic if Ibaka is a huge upgrade wouldn't he have been paid more than Trezz then? How many teams made Ibaka offers? I didn't hear about any others. He was talking to the Raptors and Clippers made the offer. Seems like Ibaka wasn't pursued much either. Ibaka has lost a lot of his athleticism. His blocked shots have fallen off a cliff. He was blocking 3.7 shots a game at his peak and was down to .8 shots a game last year. He hasn't made a defensive team in six years. Ibaka’s offensive production may have been inflated from playing with Lowry verses what we will see on the Clippers. It's imperative the Clippers get a quality PG to see Serge at his best. He's not someone you can just give the ball to and ask him to create.

I think you're right about the locker room distraction. It seems that Trezz and PG hated each other and of course Trezz would be the one to go since the Clippers gave up so much for PG.

This. You guys still need a playmaker.

Maybe you guys trade for Derrick Rose halfway through the season?
Dr. Laker
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#54 » by Dr. Laker » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Tonight will be Trezz' 1st game action with AD & LBJ. Seeing how he's used with them will speak volumes. There are a lot of folks to share minutes & shots with, but Trezz should be a lock for a minimum of 16/8 at high efficiency. He looked bad against Jokic, but a lot of that was the Clippers' defensive scheme. And in the 66 games where he's not facing Jokic, Embiid or Gobert, Trezz will beast.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#55 » by nickhx2 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:28 pm

yes a lot of that was due to the clippers defensive scheme that was due to having one of the worst defenders in the league in that scheme

glad that's all sorted out now
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#56 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Dr. Laker wrote:He looked bad against Jokic, but a lot of that was the Clippers' defensive scheme.

Doc's defensive scheme involved playing all our worst defenders (including Trez) together for long stretches of games, so...
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#57 » by donemilio21 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:36 pm

og15 wrote:

I agree, I don't think it's a given that he will have a career year as many suggest.

I know people are saying it, but minutes are a big factor. Remember the Clippers didn't have any big minute starter at the 4/5, which gave Harrell a lot of opportunity for minutes as a bench player. Last season he got 27.8 mpg. The Lakers have Davis, Harrell, Gasol, Kuzma, Morris and 96 minutes to share at the 4/5. Lineup data suggested that Kuzma played 88% of his minutes at PF. He played 25 mpg.

Let's reduce Davis' minutes from 34 to 32 with the assumption that they give him more rest early. Let's take Gasol down from 26 mpg he played last season to 19 mpg which is what Dwight played.

Total 96 mpg:
Davis 34 mpg at PF/C
Gasol 19 mpg at C

That leaves 43 minutes at PF/C for Harrell, Kuzma, Morris. Kuzma won't have much opportunity for minutes at the 3 because the Lakers have these players at the 1/2/3, Lebron, Schroder, KCP, Caruso, Matthews, so those minutes are basically all eaten up.

So if Harrell was to get 28 mpg again, the Lakers would only have 15 mpg at the 4 for Morris and Kuzma, I'm not very certain that's how the minutes will split up. The Lakers will likely run whomever is playing the best / has the best matchup the most minutes each game and to close out the games. This means that Harrell might end up with closer to around 22-24 mpg this season.

Gasol was so bad against Ayton yesterday, that Trezz may end up getting more minutes.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,072

Post#58 » by og15 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:54 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
og15 wrote:

Total 96 mpg:
Davis 34 mpg at PF/C
Gasol 19 mpg at C

Gasol was so bad against Ayton yesterday, that Trezz may end up getting more minutes.

Quite possible, who knows. Trezz averaged 19/7 last season, so a career year would require him to basically average like 20-21 ppg and 8-9 rpg. Is that possible? Maybe, is that likely? Not sure about that.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,671

Post#59 » by KL2 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:49 pm

So the Clippers reporter who trashed the team and aired out all the dirty laundry through anonymous sources has joined the Lakers.

How shocking.

Like Trezz and Doc, good riddance.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,186

Post#60 » by Max Headrom » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:44 pm

KL2 wrote:So the Clippers reporter who trashed the team and aired out all the dirty laundry through anonymous sources has joined the Lakers.

How shocking.

Like Trezz and Doc, good riddance.

I knew there was an agenda with the timing of that rehashed crap he released a couple of weeks ago...

Return to Los Angeles Clippers