VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#261 » by VCfor3 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:02 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:This roster is unbalanced. I expect trades are coming sooner or later. We don’t have a healthy true SF, but have sg position literally crowded.

I think Brooks plays starting SF and Anderson backs him up to start the season. Could also see us going with three guard lineups.

It is hard to count Brooks as an SF. It would be a 3 guards scheme as you rightly noted.

We should trade Grayson to the Kings for Woodard.

Brooks is a SG/SF and can play either. I think we just liked him at SG because he is big for a SG which helps for switchability. I think he'll be fine at SF if that's the direction we go. But to your point, we definitely need another SF in the works at some point.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#262 » by E S V L » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:40 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think Brooks plays starting SF and Anderson backs him up to start the season. Could also see us going with three guard lineups.

It is hard to count Brooks as an SF. It would be a 3 guards scheme as you rightly noted.

Brooks is a SG/SF and can play either. I think we just liked him at SG because he is big for a SG which helps for switchability. I think he'll be fine at SF if that's the direction we go. But to your point, we definitely need another SF in the works at some point.

In theory yes, but let’s imagine him playing against true SF like Brown, Ingram, Kawhi... No chance on either end of the floor... He is short and rely on his physicality when playing sg...
FK NFL
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#263 » by SD2042 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think Brooks plays starting SF and Anderson backs him up to start the season. Could also see us going with three guard lineups.

If the Grizzlies do go for another SF later in the season(depends on COVID-19) who could be a potential target?
E S V L
Analyst

Post#264 » by E S V L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:51 am

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

If the Grizzlies do go for another SF later in the season(depends on COVID-19) who could be a potential target?

I don’t believe any decent sf is available. I don’t believe this situation might change during the season aside from ridiculous or unexpected cases.

Therefore, our full focus should be and, I believe, is on a SF class in the 2021 draft.

The guy like Scottie Lewis is my choice.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#265 » by VCfor3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:50 am

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

In theory yes, but let’s imagine him playing against true SF like Brown, Ingram, Kawhi... No chance on either end of the floor... He is short and rely on his physicality when playing sg...

Brooks is the same height as Ingram and Kawhi and is taller than Brown. Not that Brooks is going to defend Kawhi super well, but he is who we used to defend Harden last year and we had him defend the opposing team's best wing quite a bit (though it is a different discussion on how well he handled those matchups).
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#266 » by VCfor3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:51 am

E S V L wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Brooks is a SG/SF and can play either. I think we just liked him at SG because he is big for a SG which helps for switchability. I think he'll be fine at SF if that's the direction we go. But to your point, we definitely need another SF in the works at some point.

I don’t believe any decent sf is available. I don’t believe this situation might change during the season aside from ridiculous or unexpected cases.

Therefore, our full focus should be and, I believe, is on a SF class in the 2021 draft.

I'm with ESVL on that I think we don't really address that this season and instead try hard to do so in the draft.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#267 » by E S V L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:51 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Brooks is a SG/SF and can play either. I think we just liked him at SG because he is big for a SG which helps for switchability. I think he'll be fine at SF if that's the direction we go. But to your point, we definitely need another SF in the works at some point.

Brooks is the same height as Ingram and Kawhi and is taller than Brown. Not that Brooks is going to defend Kawhi super well, but he is who we used to defend Harden last year and we had him defend the opposing team's best wing quite a bit (though it is a different discussion on how well he handled those matchups).

What about wingspan and standing reach parameters?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#268 » by VCfor3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:57 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Honestly no idea there. I only found their heights.

But I come bearing a gift. Zach Lowe said on his podcast that Boston may have called around to gauge Turner's value and found it to be quite low. He thinks that maybe that is why they were asking for more than just Turner in the S&T (wanted Aaron Holiday and TJ Warren). If that is the case, I wonder if Turner would be a somewhat cheap addition we could make at some point though we do have like 43 big guys on the roster currently.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#269 » by E S V L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Brooks is the same height as Ingram and Kawhi and is taller than Brown. Not that Brooks is going to defend Kawhi super well, but he is who we used to defend Harden last year and we had him defend the opposing team's best wing quite a bit (though it is a different discussion on how well he handled those matchups).

But I come bearing a gift. Zach Lowe said on his podcast that Boston may have called around to gauge Turner's value and found it to be quite low. He thinks that maybe that is why they were asking for more than just Turner in the S&T (wanted Aaron Holiday and TJ Warren). If that is the case, I wonder if Turner would be a somewhat cheap addition we could make at some point though we do have like 43 big guys on the roster currently.

Then let me tell you. Brooks has a short wingspan equals to his height. That’s why he fall in the middle of the 2nd round in the first place. Despite this weakness, he has succeeded. Bane has even a worse problem with his wingspan, so I believe he owes Dillon for being picked in the 1st round.

My point is that Brooks cannot play effectively against those classic SFs whose standing reach is 3-5 inches longer. Same as Bane.

Re Turner, count me in if he is cheap meaning he can be flipped for the value equals to the JV’s + Allen package going to a 3d team.

We should also watch for Culver for the same reason/opportunity.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#270 » by E S V L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:25 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I'm with ESVL on that I think we don't really address that this season and instead try hard to do so in the draft.

Our trade deadline short term goal is to get more picks in the 2021 draft.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#271 » by E S V L » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:31 pm

What about JV + Brooks for Drummond?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#272 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:30 am

E S V L wrote:What about JV + Brooks for Drummond?

I'd rather not. I like JV more than Drummond since he can actually step out and hit a 3pt shot so has to be respected. It helps open the paint for Ja. JV also is a better vet for the culture than Drummond. Brooks also helps the culture with he competitive edge he brings every game.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#273 » by E S V L » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:37 am

VCfor3 wrote:

I'd rather not. I like JV more than Drummond since he can actually step out and hit a 3pt shot so has to be respected. It helps open the paint for Ja. JV also is a better vet for the culture than Drummond. Brooks also helps the culture with he competitive edge he brings every game.

It is arguable. Drummond is faster, lighter on the legs. I don’t know about his character though.

What about JV, Dieng, Anderson for Zeller, Batum?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#274 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:03 am

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

It is arguable. Drummond is faster, lighter on the legs. I don’t know about his character though.

What about JV, Dieng, Anderson for Zeller, Batum?

I'm a little split. I wouldn't be upset with that deal since it would slightly help us get a better pick and opens up cap space, but I feel like JV kinda helps protect some of the other young guys. I also don't think JJJ is ready for long stretches at center when he comes back so having a high quality starting center in JV helps. I'd prefer to get something better if we move JV if we could. Maybe try to find a way to get Miles Bridges as a young SF to work into the fold. Maybe another team gives up a future 1st even if it is projected to be a late pick.

I think we are bad trade partners for Charlotte unfortunately. We are only a couple million below the tax so I doubt we are looking to take on enough salary for them to sign Hayward. Charlotte's main goal at the moment is to dump salary so that they don't have to waive Batum and eat his deal over the next few years.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#275 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Brooks is the same height as Ingram and Kawhi and is taller than Brown. Not that Brooks is going to defend Kawhi super well, but he is who we used to defend Harden last year and we had him defend the opposing team's best wing quite a bit (though it is a different discussion on how well he handled those matchups).

It's possible that a Myles Turner addition could be in the pipeline. Turner is a solid rim protector and rebounder and can stretch out the offense next to 3J in this frontcourt tandem. It would be interesting to see him play as a Grizzly.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#276 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:46 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Baring any injuries at the position, I too think that the position should be sustained until next off-season when the next draft comes back around.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#277 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:53 am

Although Drum has an expiring contract and is a useful player. Who's to say what will he demand for his services. Plus going into 2021 with the abundance of free agents lining up, who's to say who are the Grizzlies looking to target to be part of their future. I will say this, given this team is a small market team, they may have to shell out plenty of money to acquire said player. I so see the possibility that Morant and company could play well enough to at least garner enough interest for maybe a free agent or two could draw some interest to want to play for the team for the future.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#278 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:44 pm

As I was saying, PWill's issue was he was gambling on defense trying to guess instead of react.

Does this look like a player that is lacking in lateral quickness?.

Read on Twitter
[/quote]

In case you can't make out the player he's guarding, it's Wall, who's still one of the quickest guards in the league.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#279 » by SD2042 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:00 pm

Whole Truth wrote:As I was saying, PWill's issue was he was gambling on defense trying to guess instead of react.

Does this look like a player that is lacking in lateral quickness?.

Read on Twitter

In case you can't make out the player he's guarding, it's Wall, who's still one of the quickest guards in the league.[/quote]

With Wall coming back this season, I wonder will his durability hold up after being out nearly two seasons. Only time will tell.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#280 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:06 pm

SD2042 wrote: With Wall coming back this season, I wonder will his durability hold up after being out nearly two seasons. Only time will tell.

It would suck to be Washington to have Wall remain healthy & return to Allstar status. He looked good against Coby in that opener. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they gave up a pick as well.

Now imagine a scenario where the older Russ goes down, I don't want to talk that into reality but that is the position Washington put themselves in.

Here's to all players staying healthy. :party:

Return to Memphis Grizzlies