ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am

I know it's early, but quite honestly, I really don't care. College basketball kicks off tomorrow, && there is some loaded talent in the top 5 this year. Including a clear cut preseason number one, who projects as a 6-7 playmaking combo guard with every tool in the toolbox. Not to mention some other elite guard/center prospects who could be major building blocks for a team lacking both.

With the new lottery odds and us more than likely finishing in the 8-12 range, we should be real players in the draft this year && I'm doing what I didn't do last season and diving in early.

Here is an awesome rundown by SBNation detailing the top 30 guys to keep an eye on early on:

https://www.sbnation.com/2020/11/19/21567033/nba-mock-draft-2021-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-evan-mobley
Spoiler:
1. Cade Cunningham, G, Oklahoma State

Cade Cunningham is made for modern basketball

Cunningham feels like the type of player who would be a legitimate No. 1 overall prospect in almost any NBA draft. At 6’6, Cunningham is a big and strong lead guard whose top attribute might be his overall feel for the game. Cunningham doesn’t have outlier, dunk contest-worthy explosiveness, but he can make every read on the floor while scoring efficiently himself. He absolutely dominated the Nike EYBL circuit as a rising senior, posting ridiculous 66 percent true shooting, flashing remarkable passing chops, and forcing his way to the foul line at will. His swing skill will be his three-point shot, but he’s already showing plenty of improvement in that area over the last year.

While the 2020 NBA Draft didn’t have a consensus No. 1 prospect, Cunningham will become that player a year from now even in a class that includes bigger names with more mixtape hype. His game is perfectly suited for the modern NBA, and the team that gets him should have the league’s next foundational young star.

2. Brandon Boston, G, Kentucky

Boston transferred from his high school in suburban Atlanta to play his final year of prep ball with Bronny James on Los Angeles-based powerhouse Sierra Canyon. Now he’s the centerpiece of John Calipari’s top-ranked recruiting class, and looks like he might be even more talented than his RSCI placement at No. 7 overall in the incoming freshman class. A skinny 6’6 guard, Boston is a burgeoning perimeter scorer with tantalizing glimpses of creation potential. He’s already able to pair together multiple dribble crossovers to create space, and seems like a smart, capable defender, too. After grading out well during his final year of EYBL play in advanced metrics like box score plus-minus, Boston deserves to be recognized as a top-five prospect in this class.

3. Evan Mobley, C, USC

Mobley is a consensus top three recruit in the RSCI who joins his older brother Isaiah on the Trojans this season. A skinny 6’11 big man, the younger Mobley has some truly special movement skills for a player his size. Down the line he could project as someone who could defend smaller players on the perimeter while still protecting the rim, but his high center of gravity will lead to questions on if he can hold up down-low long term. What would really make Mobley scary is if his perimeter offensive skills continue to develop. While Mobley doesn’t have the strengths (namely: strength) of the lottery pick he’s replacing in the middle for USC, Onyeka Okongwu, he does have some outlier abilities that make him worthy of top-three consideration going into the year.

4. Jalen Green, G, G League Ignite

Green has been at the top of the rankings since his class began to get evaluated. The Fresno, CA native decided to join the G League Ignite team for blue chip recruits who didn’t want to play college basketball or turn pro overseas, setting up a fascinating developmental season in a new environment. Green is a super explosive 6’5 scoring guard with outlier burst and explosion. He can score points in a hurry when he gets hot, but he’ll have to work on becoming a more consistent decision-maker on a possession-by-possession basis. NBA scouts will want to see where his three-point shot is at, how he defends, and if he can consistently put pressure on the rim by driving the ball into the paint.

5. Jonathan Kuminga, F, G League Ignite

Kuminga will join Green on the NorCal-based Ignite team after reclassifying to graduate early from high school and put himself in position to be a top pick in the 2021 draft. At 6’7, Kuminga is a strong, athletic forward who has been working to develop his on-ball game over the last year. Scouts will want to evaluate his level of feel and decision-making in the G League, while also seeing where his jump shot is at. Ideally, Kuminga develops into a versatile defender (right now, his point of attack defense is better than his help defense) who can score on cuts and put-backs while he grows the rest of his game.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 453

Re: Super early NBA Draft 2021 Thread 

Post#2 » by uraverage » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:05 am

But whats their wingspan? Really at this point, I probably would take any of them on our team.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#3 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:22 am

uraverage wrote:But whats their wingspan? Really at this point, I probably would take any of them on our team.

Cade's is nearly 7 feet long on a 6'7 frame. I can guarantee you that he's someone WeHam (&& the whole NBA for that matter) is salivating over. Knowing our misfortune and how poorly managed we are, he will probably never be a reality but I'll hold out hope until I know for sure.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#4 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:06 am

PrimeThyme wrote:
uraverage wrote:But whats their wingspan? Really at this point, I probably would take any of them on our team.

Cade's is nearly 7 feet long on a 6'7 frame. I can guarantee you that he's someone WeHam (&& the whole NBA for that matter) is salivating over. Knowing our misfortune and how poorly managed we are, he will probably never be a reality but I'll hold out hope until I know for sure.
He'll go pick before us because we wanted to beat the Knicks the last game of season to establish a winning culture.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Post#5 » by MagicMatic » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:33 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

He'll go pick before us because we wanted to beat the Knicks the last game of season to establish a winning culture.

:lol: Nailed it.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Post#6 » by Skin » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:34 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#7 » by MagicMatic » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:35 am

I’ll be praying for any wing that has a plus shooting season and high assist numbers.

Outside of that? Hoping for losses and a lot of playing time for Okeke and Anthony.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#8 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

Cade going a pick before us still leaves us in a great position (#2 overall). I’m 100% sold on the top 2 guys in this class.

I’m even pretty high already on the next couple.

It’s landing outside the top 5 where things get difficult.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#9 » by RookieStar » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:55 am

Who here will do a "Cole"?? Someone projected to be top-5 but stunk it uoa his lone freshamn year due to teammates, injuries, covid, etc? And will drop to us at 15 lol
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Post#10 » by Howard Mass » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:21 am

It's never too early but lots of players do emerge throughout the year and leading up to The Draft.

I expect the Magic to be in the lottery next season and with the newer Lottery Rules, anything can happen. Maybe The Magic will have some luck again.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#11 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:33 pm

I missed Cade’s first game due to holiday duties with the family.

I am looking forward to that after reading Knightros reviews. I can see what he is referring to regarding a “lack of explosiveness” based on quick highlights on Sportscenter. Still, I can also see what Nyce is responding with as Cade looks effortlessly smooth in those quick clips.

It will be interesting to see how he develops and can he truly be a franchise super star prospect?

I’m also excited to see a few other names:
BJ Boston, Kentucky
Scottie Barnes, FSU
Jalen Green — G League, (not sure how to watch)
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#12 » by drsd » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:37 pm

I cannot wait for these words from Adam Silver ..... , "and with the 30th pick in the NBA draft, the Orlando Magic select ...... "

Spoiler:
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#13 » by MagicMatic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:22 pm

drsd wrote:I cannot wait for these words from Adam Silver ..... , "and with the 30th pick in the NBA draft, the Orlando Magic select ...... "

Spoiler:

Orlando has to “win” A draft first.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#14 » by Bensational » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:23 pm

It will be interesting to see how Green, Kuminga and the other G-League Ignite players go development/exposure wise vs Case and other college prospects. They're only slated for exhibition games against the G-League, so is the competition standard high enough?
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 760

Post#15 » by Tarheel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:24 am

Cade looked decent against UTA and the jumper looked better than expected.

I do think that he's one of those players that will look infinitely better in the NBA with better spacing and teammates around him. He's got that Doncic-esque elite feel. His lack of athleticism does not concern me in the slightest, I think he's going to be a real player.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#16 » by Def Swami » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:02 pm

Jalen Suggs had the more impressive debut game. Cunningham is going to get frustrated with his teammates really quickly.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#17 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:20 pm

I highly, highly, suggest anyone who missed this game to check out these Suggs highlights. He gives me Lillard/Westbrook vibes. Incredibly impressed with his court vision/playmaking ability as well as his relentless attacking of the basket. He's not afraid to take the pull up Lillard 3 either.

He's one we need to keep our eyes on.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#18 » by jonbob17 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:26 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
I highly, highly, suggest anyone who missed this game to check out these Suggs highlights. He gives me Lillard/Westbrook vibes. Incredibly impressed with his court vision/playmaking ability as well as his relentless attacking of the basket. He's not afraid to take the pull up Lillard 3 either.

He's one we need to keep our eyes on.

Suggs looked really good. Shot better than advertised. Gonzaga is going to be good, so Suggs is going to be able to showcase his talent.
neuraldarwinism
Sixth Man
And1: 1,046

Post#19 » by neuraldarwinism » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:20 pm

absolutely maddening we arent tanking for this stacked draft class

2021 NBA Mock Draft: Cade Cunningham tops wing-heavy class that excites scouts, execs
Sam Vecenie Nov 24, 2020 133

The 2021 NBA Draft process begins in earnest this week as college basketball teams tip off games and scouts look on knowing that the 2021 class looks, throughout the lottery, to have much more upside than the 2020 one did.

And indeed, this is a draft worth tanking for. I’d ballpark it at five players who are currently tracking ahead of anyone in the 2020 NBA Draft and thus would have been likely to be selected at No. 1 in that class. And realistically, there are even more players than those who are particularly interesting and seem to have higher upsides.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#20 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 pm

We need to offload Evan and AG for young assets and picks.

Then we need to insert Cole and Chuma into the starting lineup and allow them to learn through growing pains.

We also need to preserve long term future of Vuc through load management while developing Bamba.

All of this is a “developmental tank job” as we absolutely MUST secure a TOP 5 — preferably TOP 3 pick in the 2021 class.

Return to Orlando Magic