Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#341 » by Pharaoh » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 pm

Snakebites wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Obvious benefit about the Grant (& Wood) sign and trades...

Both guys get the larger % increases in their deals.

Signing them outright = 5% raises.

Signing with their own teams = 8% raises

Means a lower first year salary for both

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/06/why-nba-sign-and-trades-are-rare-2.html

1. Players can only get full maximum salary contracts (five years, 8% annual raises) if they remain with their previous team.

Under old versions of the NBA’s CBA, a sign-and-trade deal allowed a player to sign for the true max – in terms of total years and annual raises – even though he wasn’t remaining with his previous team. That’s no longer the case.

If, for instance, the Celtics were to sign-and-trade Kyrie Irving to another club this summer, he wouldn’t be able to receive the five years or 8% annual raises that he would if he re-signed with Boston — he’d still be eligible for the same starting salary, but would be limited to four years and 5% raises, reducing the overall value of his max contract by nearly $50MM, based on current cap projections.

This is correct.

Pharoah is describing a sign and trade loophole that used to exist but no longer does.

Sign and trades are still possible but they no longer allow players to attain the extra salary increase.
Did not know it had changed.

Makes the Grant S&T a bit weird.

The Wood S&T I understand cause we got Ariza as a asset for a guy we weren't going to bring back

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#342 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:08 pm

Charlotte gets two 2nd for helping Boston out with a trade exception
Championships
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#343 » by Kilo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:26 pm

^I'm hoping there is an unannounced S&T for Mason Plumlee that will send something to Detroit and that these two S&T's between Denver and Detroit make sense. The Euroballer was included with Detroit sending cash to make the S&T legal both are nothing assets. Cash sent was probably the smallest amount. Same reason why Charlotte send a future SRP to Boston in this Hayward deal.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#344 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:39 pm

Kilo wrote:^I'm hoping there is an unannounced S&T for Mason Plumlee that will send something to Detroit and that these two S&T's between Denver and Detroit make sense. The Euroballer was included with Detroit sending cash to make the S&T legal both are nothing assets. Cash sent was probably the smallest amount. Same reason why Charlotte send a future SRP to Boston in this Hayward deal.

Yeah so basically we got nothing. So another L we took even if its 2nds.
Championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#345 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm

I feel like we’d have heard about any sign and trade by now, and the Nuggets have already replaced the players they lost with cheaper alternatives.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#346 » by Kilo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:46 pm

Snakebites wrote:I feel like we’d have heard about any sign and trade by now, and the Nuggets have already replaced the players they lost with cheaper alternatives.

Very likely wishful thinking, but Plumlee signing hasn't been announced yet. Why wouldn't Denver take on another "free" TPE if Detroit offers them out of the kindness of their heart? Denver owned Plumlee's Full Bird Rights so could go over the cap to sign him.
Weaver = Hinkie
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#347 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Kilo wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I feel like we’d have heard about any sign and trade by now, and the Nuggets have already replaced the players they lost with cheaper alternatives.

Very likely wishful thinking, but Plumlee signing hasn't been announced yet. Why wouldn't Denver take on another "free" TPE if Detroit offers them out of the kindness of their heart? Denver owned Plumlee's Full Bird Rights so could go over the cap to sign him.

That certainly is very strange it hasn’t been announced yet.

Grant certainly has though.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#348 » by Kilo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:12 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Kilo wrote:

That certainly is very strange it hasn’t been announced yet.

Grant certainly has though.

It's not official because Detroit is 850K over the cap and needs to stretch release either McGruder or Smith to create the room. Once they make that decision (I assume they've been trying to trade either over the weekend) they can then complete the Plumlee signing, and officially announce Okafor, Ellington and Jackson as well, as the vet minimum and Room Exception deals can be done once Detroit is capped out, but if made official before would eat into any available cap space.

None of the players still not officially signed can practice with the team once camps open on Tuesday. So all this will happen soon.
Weaver = Hinkie
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#350 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 2, 2020 11:10 pm

BJK1 wrote:https://www.mlive.com/pistons/2020/12/in-jerami-grant-pistons-see-untapped-offensive-potential-all-defensive-ability.html
We're all gonna find out what he can bring offensively this season.

Although you can kinda claim Blake & Rose are similar to Jokic & Murray in some aspects Grant is going to need to be much more aggressive off the bounce - assuming he's actually worked on that.

From what I've seen he's more a catch and shoot, drive on close outs only kinda guy.

Can't handle, doesn't make decisions off the bounce, doesn't drive, not much of a mid range game...

Might like him as a "story" but as a offensive player there's a lot of holes in his game.

BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#351 » by BJK1 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:27 pm

Read on Twitter
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#352 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:32 am

Narrative won't like your post bro.
BJK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#353 » by BJK1 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:13 am

Pharaoh wrote:Narrative won't like your post bro.
BJK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lol. I just post ‘em and let others provide the editorial.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#354 » by Han Solo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 am

Grant might end up being legit as ****
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#355 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:49 am

Yeah I hated the signing but hes looking good so far. Glad to be wrong.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,020

Post#356 » by bstein14 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:24 am

The truth is, he was delegated to a catch and shoot and transition scorer previously and he there is going to be a learning curve for everything else. He's getting better at it already from what I've seen in the preseason to now. Perfect season for him to add that to his game considering we're not trying to make a playoff push so as our young guys develop I'm also fine seeing Grant try to work on improving his offensive game as well since we've already committed to him for 3 seasons.

If he can become an efficient 20 PPG scorer and still be a great defender I think that's perfect for us. I will say he looks better at PF than SF next to Blake thus far I'm not sure what that means for us this season if we can't find a taker for Blake but hopefully its something that Casey figures out soon.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#357 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:48 am

Hopefully Blake and his agent paid attention to the contract Hayward got and believe that by opting out after this season he can get 1 last big pay day

Maybe not a 4 year deal but a 3 year one elsewhere is fine by me!

El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#358 » by El Chivo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:10 am

He's a very good player, but his prime doesn't fit our development timeline, so I still don't understand the move, unless we trade him for value.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#359 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:42 am

He's 26! And it's not like he's got years and years of big minutes on his legs
El Chivo wrote:He's a very good player, but his prime doesn't fit our development timeline, so I still don't understand the move, unless we trade him for value.

Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#360 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:43 am

He's definitely a better player than a lot expected, although offensively seems to get tunnel vision sometimes and puts up bad shots.

I can't see him getting traded this season but if he continues to play well and we continue to be terrible into next season maybe we'll part ways at that deadline and pick up a couple of assets.

Return to Detroit Pistons