Nuggets' broadcast issues

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets' broadcast issues 

Post#41 » by The Rebel » Fri Nov 1, 2019 3:30 pm

Directv and Altitude have finally settled, Altitude is back on Directv.

Also there are some rumors that a local politician is pushing the state AG to investigate the 3 providers due to the regional sports fees on top of forcing people to buy upgraded packages to get Altitude, effectively forcing people to pay double for the channel and still not wanting to pay Altitude for their programming.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#42 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 9:26 pm

The Rebel wrote:Directv and Altitude have finally settled, Altitude is back on Directv.

Also there are some rumors that a local politician is pushing the state AG to investigate the 3 providers due to the regional sports fees on top of forcing people to buy upgraded packages to get Altitude, effectively forcing people to pay double for the channel and still not wanting to pay Altitude for their programming.

Have to think the other two providers are gonna have to follow suit soon, if not I know I'll be switching.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#43 » by TunaFish » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:49 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Directv and Altitude have finally settled, Altitude is back on Directv.

Have to think the other two providers are gonna have to follow suit soon, if not I know I'll be switching.

Great news! Now if only KSE can settle the remaining issues.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#44 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Mar 7, 2020 1:33 am

With the lawsuits out there, it looks like KSE will not be on air with Comcast or Dish for a very long time. LA Baseball has had this issue for years.

The commish spoke out against streaming but if that's the only way fans can see their teams, what is someone supposed to do?

Altitude has the right to negotiate however they want, but fans have rights too.

I'd prefer to get the Altitude broadcasts but if they don't want to make it happen, so be it.

I'm a Nuggets fan not an Altitude fan. Besides, watching some of the other teams' broadcasts has been interesting - listening to their opinions of the Nuggets. Some of what they say shows they haven't watched the Nuggets and are just quoting last year's media reports; but other times, their insight can be interesting for sure.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#45 » by TunaFish » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:38 am

I am throwing this out as "food for thought" about the broadcast impasse with the Nuggets. A class action lawsuit was filed against the NFL and AT&T years ago claiming that interlocking agreements with Directv were illegally suppressing the availability of fans to see their teams broadcast. It was filed so long again and dismissed by the trial court, that I had forgotten about it. Then recently the Ninth Circuit reversed and the NFL has asked the Supreme Court to step in. It looks like a Supreme Court decision is imminent.

What this may have to do with basketball is that the Sports Broadcasting Act, an exception to the the Sherman Anti Trust Act, does not apply to satellite broadcasting but only to over the air broadcasting. It appears the defendants (NFL et all) have conceded that legal point. If the plaintiff's are successful, this would open the door for teams to provide their individual broadcast feeds to whatever broadcaster they choose, nationwide. This would also apply to the NBA.

That sounds a little like the situation that KSE may be pushing in his battle with cable but from an owner's perspective.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 am

Well, time to start looking for feeds - since Altitude doesn't care to work with Dish and Dish doesn't care to work with Altitude.
skywalker33

Post#47 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:35 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Well, time to start looking for feeds - since Altitude doesn't care to work with Dish and Dish doesn't care to work with Altitude.

Let me know of any medicinal feeds you may come across, my DISH-cold is as bad as COVID right now :lol: I'm just a PM away

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Nov 2, 2020 11:26 pm

Here's a new article: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/how-to-watch-the-denver-nuggets/

It still doesn't work for me and feels like Altitude is trying to make things sound easier than they really are.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#49 » by TunaFish » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 pm

U.S. District Court Judge William Martinez doesn't buy all of Altitude's antitrust theories. For instance, in his 41-page opinion (read here), he largely accepts Comcast's position that one of the monopolization claims is doomed because by not carrying Altitude, Comcast may be losing subscribers, which causes it to lose market power as a buyer of sports programming.

But the judge does see something worth exploring in Altitude's allegation that Comcast's hard bargaining position may amount to a refusal to deal instead of a legitimate effort to keep prices down.

"At least one court in the Tenth Circuit has observed that '[a] refusal to deal may cross the line from permissible to predatory, and therefore satisfy the second element of a monopsonization/monopolization claim, if its purpose is vertically to integrate into the supplier’s market,'" writes the judge. "Although Comcast characterizes Altitude’s allegations that it will enter the market with its own RSN as baseless and speculative, viewing the allegations in the light most favorable to Altitude, and drawing all reasonable inferences in Altitude’s favor, as the Court must at the dismissal stage, the Court finds Altitude has alleged facts sufficient to show that its allegations of anticompetitive conduct are plausible."

As noted in an earlier story regarding Comcast's motion to dismiss, the vertically-integrated media company has been wrestling with refusal-to-deal claims, and in fact, is currently attempting to get the U.S. Supreme Court to review the subject.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/comcast-must-face-sports-tv-antitrust-suit

I think this might be coming to a head, finally. I have written previously about a similar lawsuit involving the NFL and satellite transmission companies, the infamous antitrust issues with few providers. Losing this Motion to Dismiss will push Comcast to settle out of court because I doubt they want to pay legal fees, court costs and possible damages in a trial with the potential to lose a later appeal. This will get real expensive and it will likely be cheaper to just settle. I think Stan has them over the barrel but we will see.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:43 pm

TunaFish wrote:U.S. District Court Judge William Martinez doesn't buy all of Altitude's antitrust theories. For instance, in his 41-page opinion (read here), he largely accepts Comcast's position that one of the monopolization claims is doomed because by not carrying Altitude, Comcast may be losing subscribers, which causes it to lose market power as a buyer of sports programming.

But the judge does see something worth exploring in Altitude's allegation that Comcast's hard bargaining position may amount to a refusal to deal instead of a legitimate effort to keep prices down.

"At least one court in the Tenth Circuit has observed that '[a] refusal to deal may cross the line from permissible to predatory, and therefore satisfy the second element of a monopsonization/monopolization claim, if its purpose is vertically to integrate into the supplier’s market,'" writes the judge. "Although Comcast characterizes Altitude’s allegations that it will enter the market with its own RSN as baseless and speculative, viewing the allegations in the light most favorable to Altitude, and drawing all reasonable inferences in Altitude’s favor, as the Court must at the dismissal stage, the Court finds Altitude has alleged facts sufficient to show that its allegations of anticompetitive conduct are plausible."

As noted in an earlier story regarding Comcast's motion to dismiss, the vertically-integrated media company has been wrestling with refusal-to-deal claims, and in fact, is currently attempting to get the U.S. Supreme Court to review the subject.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/comcast-must-face-sports-tv-antitrust-suit

I think this might be coming to a head, finally. I have written previously about a similar lawsuit involving the NFL and satellite transmission companies, the infamous antitrust issues with few providers. Losing this Motion to Dismiss will push Comcast to settle out of court because I doubt they want to pay legal fees, court costs and possible damages in a trial with the potential to lose a later appeal. This will get real expensive and it will likely be cheaper to just settle. I think Stan has them over the barrel but we will see.

Very interesting, but it isn't just Comcast. Dish isn't carrying Altitude and DirectTV settled. It seems more complicated.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#51 » by TunaFish » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:38 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:U.S. District Court Judge William Martinez doesn't buy all of Altitude's antitrust theories. For instance, in his 41-page opinion (read here), he largely accepts Comcast's position that one of the monopolization claims is doomed because by not carrying Altitude, Comcast may be losing subscribers, which causes it to lose market power as a buyer of sports programming.

Very interesting, but it isn't just Comcast. Dish isn't carrying Altitude and DirectTV settled. It seems more complicated.

Think of it like one domino at a time. Kroenke is playing a long game here, trying to lock into more favorable rates and claiming to pass on the savings to his customers (on that I don't know). The strategy is so obvious, based on the NFL case. What I think is happening is that Kroenke is fed up with media providers (Comcast, et. cet.) setting arbitrary fees that bleed content providers and their customers, an anti-competitive situation because they are monopolies.

Will it work? I am not betting against him but the question at this point is whether Comcast is ready to cave. Losing that Motion to Dismiss is a big deal. Both sides are taking loses, loses that Kroenke was willing to bear to get his way. More litigation is expensive. The time to settle is now and I am reasonably certain that Comcast's lawyers are laying out the risks and costs of further litigation.

Dish is a different problem, I think.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:59 am

TunaFish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Think of it like one domino at a time. Kroenke is playing a long game here, trying to lock into more favorable rates and claiming to pass on the savings to his customers (on that I don't know). The strategy is so obvious, based on the NFL case. What I think is happening is that Kroenke is fed up with media providers (Comcast, et. cet.) setting arbitrary fees that bleed content providers and their customers, an anti-competitive situation because they are monopolies.

Will it work? I am not betting against him but the question at this point is whether Comcast is ready to cave. Losing that Motion to Dismiss is a big deal. Both sides are taking loses, loses that Kroenke was willing to bear to get his way. More litigation is expensive. The time to settle is now and I am reasonably certain that Comcast's lawyers are laying out the risks and costs of further litigation.

Dish is a different problem, I think.

As far as I'm concerned, let the greedy wealthy people fight over this. I found alternatives last year and they were free - both live and on replay. I don't need Dish to watch the Nuggets and I don't need Altitude.
FilNugsFan
Sophomore
And1: 255

Post#53 » by FilNugsFan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:12 am

I've read a lot of Facebook posts in Nuggets pages asking how they can watch our 1st pre-season game against GSW. Hopefully these broadcast issues get settled in time for the upcoming season.

Somehow I envy you guys that you can watch the Nuggets on a gamely basis. Here in the Philippines, we only get to see Nuggets games perhaps less than 30 times in the regular season. Popular teams such as the Lakers and the Celtics, and those with bonafide superstars like the Warriors, Clippers, Mavs, Bucks among others, still get the lion's share of TV coverage. I bet even Brooklyn will likely have more coverage than Denver this season.

Anyway, really excited to see the new players so I just decided to watch our pre-season opener via League Pass.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Post#54 » by DaFan334 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:34 am

While finding a stream is easy, it would be nice to not have to deal with it, especially because my TVs seem to have trouble with buffering and quality. I have mainly been streaming to my phone or computer. If DirecTV can come up with a deal, its pretty ridiculous that Comcast can't. I am tied to Comcast currently because it is part of my apartment complex's rent, but once I am out of here, I will be getting DirecTV if this isn't settled.

Does anyone have any suggestions to avoid the buffing issues with streams on TVs? My TVs are both nice and newer, so I am somewhat at a loss why they have such a tough time buffering.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:57 am

DaFan334 wrote:While finding a stream is easy, it would be nice to not have to deal with it, especially because my TVs seem to have trouble with buffering and quality. I have mainly been streaming to my phone or computer. If DirecTV can come up with a deal, its pretty ridiculous that Comcast can't. I am tied to Comcast currently because it is part of my apartment complex's rent, but once I am out of here, I will be getting DirecTV if this isn't settled.

Does anyone have any suggestions to avoid the buffing issues with streams on TVs? My TVs are both nice and newer, so I am somewhat at a loss why they have such a tough time buffering.

I put up with the buffering. I live in a relatively remote area and do not have a fast connection. I've wondered about trying to download from a streaming site and then watching it later. I might try that.

I do find that sites that stream live tend to have worse buffering than sites where they make the stream available after the game is completed - anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours later.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 am

Dear Altitude TV & Denver Nuggets,

We understand that you don't really care if your fans watch any of your games on TV. We understand you are fighting for a principle - something about making more money. We understand that is more important than your fans seeing the games. Of course with covid limiting fans attendance everywhere, that means very few fans will be seeing your games. For instance, the first seven games this year will not be available to the majority of your fans.

But do not worry about your fans. In case you are unaware of it, we no longer need Altitude TV to watch our team. There are plenty of websites that allow us to watch the games anyway. So feel free to diminish your viewing audience. Please do not complain when your advertising income diminishes.

Signed,
One viewer who will no longer watch Altitude TV even if they settle with Comcast and Dish
skywalker33

Post#57 » by skywalker33 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:14 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Dear Altitude TV & Denver Nuggets,

We understand that you don't really care if your fans watch any of your games on TV. We understand you are fighting for a principle - something about making more money. We understand that is more important than your fans seeing the games. Of course with covid limiting fans attendance everywhere, that means very few fans will be seeing your games. For instance, the first seven games this year will not be available to the majority of your fans.

But do not worry about your fans. In case you are unaware of it, we no longer need Altitude TV to watch our team. There are plenty of websites that allow us to watch the games anyway. So feel free to diminish your viewing audience. Please do not complain when your advertising income diminishes.

Signed,
One viewer who will no longer watch Altitude TV even if they settle with Comcast and Dish

Oh, Yeah, name one...or two in case I can't get the first one... 8-)

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:46 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Dear Altitude TV & Denver Nuggets,

Signed,

Oh, Yeah, name one...or two in case I can't get the first one... 8-)

PM sent
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:44 am

So I spent some time today investigating all of the online options for watching Nuggets games. Things like Hulu and such. Here's one website that basically says "Altitude doesn't cooperate with anyone" (my paraphrase).

What Channels Offer the Denver Nuggets Game Live Stream?
All NBA teams offer the bulk of their games on regional sports channels. So, in this instance Denver fans would have an easier time watching these games than someone in Detroit because they wouldn’t have the required regional channel. Most regional channels are available online, making it easier than ever to watch sports without cable.

When it comes to regional channels, Nuggets games air on Altitude Sports. Unfortunately, this is one of the only channels not available through any streaming services currently. You can also watch NBA games (including NBA Playoffs) on nationwide channels, including TNT, NBA TV, and ESPN are all available through streaming services and will allow you to get a Denver Nuggets live stream.

How to Watch the Denver Nuggets Game Streaming without Cable
Most services offer some or all of the nationwide channels you’ll need to watch the Denver Nuggets without cable. While you can’t get the regional channel, you’ll be able to use services like fuboTV and Hulu with Live TV to watch most of the channels you need. Other services will include all of them. Luckily, you’ll be able to try each of these services out and if you don’t like your first pick, you can always cancel and try another one.

No matter what service you choose, the process is pretty similar. You’ll sign up, which takes a few minutes. After that, all the hard work is done and you’re ready to start streaming. You can use many different devices to stream including mobile devices, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, gaming consoles, computers, and other devices.

Basically, Altitude isn't available hardly anywhere.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#60 » by TunaFish » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:52 am

NuggetsWY wrote:So I spent some time today investigating all of the online options for watching Nuggets games. Things like Hulu and such. Here's one website that basically says "Altitude doesn't cooperate with anyone" (my paraphrase).

What Channels Offer the Denver Nuggets Game Live Stream?
All NBA teams offer the bulk of their games on regional sports channels. So, in this instance Denver fans would have an easier time watching these games than someone in Detroit because they wouldn’t have the required regional channel. Most regional channels are available online, making it easier than ever to watch sports without cable.

When it comes to regional channels, Nuggets games air on Altitude Sports. Unfortunately, this is one of the only channels not available through any streaming services currently. You can also watch NBA games (including NBA Playoffs) on nationwide channels, including TNT, NBA TV, and ESPN are all available through streaming services and will allow you to get a Denver Nuggets live stream.

How to Watch the Denver Nuggets Game Streaming without Cable
Most services offer some or all of the nationwide channels you’ll need to watch the Denver Nuggets without cable. While you can’t get the regional channel, you’ll be able to use services like fuboTV and Hulu with Live TV to watch most of the channels you need. Other services will include all of them. Luckily, you’ll be able to try each of these services out and if you don’t like your first pick, you can always cancel and try another one.

No matter what service you choose, the process is pretty similar. You’ll sign up, which takes a few minutes. After that, all the hard work is done and you’re ready to start streaming. You can use many different devices to stream including mobile devices, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, gaming consoles, computers, and other devices.

Basically, Altitude isn't available hardly anywhere.

You could switch to Directv. The NBA has a contract with them and Altitude does the broadcast.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets