ImageImageImage

Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#21 » by coordinator0 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:30 pm

jakebernat wrote:nobody’s talking about svi, could he be the odd man out? there was some interest in him at the deadline; sirvydis makes him kinda redundant.

Unless a good offer comes along I doubt it. At least in terms of any time soon. It seems like the organization still wants to have some semblance of a real team on the court and they need shooting. I'm doubting Sirvydis has any real impact on the rotation. He's going to be anchored to the G-League. McGruder will likely be waived and that's the end of it.

Thee odd thing about him coming over is that he had to buy out his current contract overseas. Makes me wonder what the numbers look like.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#22 » by flow » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:34 pm

jakebernat wrote:nobody’s talking about svi, could he be the odd man out? there was some interest in him at the deadline; sirvydis makes him kinda redundant.

Not a chance. Svi is a keeper. He earned his spot last season and will play starter minutes. Sirvydas, on the other hand, is not an nba player. The whole thing with him is a joke. Nothing redundant whatsoever.
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#23 » by pistonpat » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:46 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Wooo, 4th. Lithuanian in the NBA currently (if you count Brazdeikis). I dont think he will be much of anything really, he was barely much of anything in Israel, I expect 2 seasons in G league and then return to Europe most likely, but I will be cheering for him, maybe I am wrong and he improves drastically. Just glad to see another Lithuanian in the , we were beaten by Latvians, which is just a national insult LOL

Well, they aren't signing Sirvydis because he's a good player. They're signing him because there's a chance he could become a good player. He's got all the tools. Just needs to start progressing.

He has tools to be good shooter, but thats about it. I still rather have Musa, if they cut Musa thats a mistake IMO.

Really don't understand this signing because he is not ready. He can't guard at the NBA level and had issues with his teams overseas, along with brief appearances in the Summer League. He also is not ready physically. I assume this is a favor to Arn which is disappointing unless they just plan to stick him in the G League. He should not be taking up a roster spot, but we do have dead weight in McGruder and Ellington already. This off season has been the most confusing in my lifetime, so we will see how it shakes out. Waiting to see an actual plan emerge at some point..
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#24 » by chrbal » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:21 pm

Motor city cruise is going to be sick. Makes a little more sense out of cutting Smith, and I’m guessing McGruder, now.

I would think he’s playing the bulk of this season in the g league. Not comfortable trying to really analyze because I don’t trust the idea that we are done making moves.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#25 » by vege » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:26 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Wooo, 4th. Lithuanian in the NBA currently (if you count Brazdeikis). I dont think he will be much of anything really, he was barely much of anything in Israel, I expect 2 seasons in G league and then return to Europe most likely, but I will be cheering for him, maybe I am wrong and he improves drastically. Just glad to see another Lithuanian in the , we were beaten by Latvians, which is just a national insult LOL

Well, they aren't signing Sirvydis because he's a good player. They're signing him because there's a chance he could become a good player. He's got all the tools. Just needs to start progressing.

Wrong, he is getting signed because of who his agent is.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#26 » by Kilo » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:30 pm

chrbal wrote:Motor city cruise is going to be sick. Makes a little more sense out of cutting Smith, and I’m guessing McGruder, now.

I would think he’s playing the bulk of this season in the g league. Not comfortable trying to really analyze because I don’t trust the idea that we are done making moves.

Motor City Cruise isn't a thing until next season. Detroit's affiliate is still Grand Rapids Drive for the 2020-2021 G-League season.
Given 2-way contracts can spend 50 games with the NBA club, it means they can make 500K or so. I think that would have been enough for Deividas and could have kept a roster space open for somebody else. Not sure why this kid, a second round pick reach, gets a three year contract other than who his agent is.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#27 » by chrbal » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:48 pm

Kilo wrote:
chrbal wrote:Motor city cruise is going to be sick. Makes a little more sense out of cutting Smith, and I’m guessing McGruder, now.

Motor City Cruise isn't a thing until next season. Detroit's affiliate is still Grand Rapids Drive for the 2020-2021 G-League season.
Given 2-way contracts can spend 50 games with the NBA club, it means they can make 500K or so. I think that would have been enough for Deividas and could have kept a roster space open for somebody else. Not sure why this kid, a second round pick reach, gets a three year contract other than who his agent is.

My bad. I feel like we would’ve been better off signing Sirvydis next season over having at least 5 rookies. Whether it means keeping McGruder or smith or some camp guy
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#28 » by Jstock12 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:10 pm

vege wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

Wrong, he is getting signed because of who his agent is.

Maybe a little bit of that too.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#29 » by DBC10 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:36 pm

Our International man of mystery is finally coming over.

Thank you to the great scouting department and all involved in finding this hidden ge---who am I kidding, Thank you for being Arn Tellem's son's client and good ol fashion nepotism

Hope he shows out but eh, his numbers aren't eye popping.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#30 » by zeebneeb » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:54 pm

As long as he can shoot, and play defense he'll have a place on this team. Hayes is going to turn this team upside down. Dynamic playmaking people, get ready for it.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#31 » by coordinator0 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:24 am

Read on Twitter

So even though the third year is not guaranteed this means it still isn't a minimum deal. His first year either fits in with what will be leftover from signing Plumlee or it's part of the room MLE meaning Jackson didn't get the full amount. Should be fairly minor either way.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#32 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:31 am

coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So even though the third year is not guaranteed this means it still isn't a minimum deal. His first year either fits in with what will be leftover from signing Plumlee or it's part of the room MLE meaning Jackson didn't get the full amount. Should be fairly minor either way.
So a 2 year deal basically.

Can't see him beating out the wings we already have on the roster.

He would have been better off coming over after next season

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,928

Post#33 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Dec 2, 2020 10:40 am

If I believe NBADraft ( https://www.nbadraft.net/players/deividas-sirvydis/ ) we have the next Kyle Singler on our hands.
Isn't everyone here just longing, just excited beyond all words, for the next Kyle Singler? LOL
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#34 » by mattyj » Wed Dec 2, 2020 11:40 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:If I believe NBADraft ( https://www.nbadraft.net/players/deividas-sirvydis/ ) we have the next Kyle Singler on our hands.
Isn't everyone here just longing, just excited beyond all words, for the next Kyle Singler? LOL
Just remember, they compared DeShawn Stephenson to Michael Jordan

Sent from my CPH1701 using RealGM mobile app
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#35 » by JustinSane » Wed Dec 2, 2020 11:45 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:If I believe NBADraft ( https://www.nbadraft.net/players/deividas-sirvydis/ ) we have the next Kyle Singler on our hands.

Singler was a useful player here for a second round pick. He didn't turn trash until he stole that MLE after leaving Detroit. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Sirvydis is that good.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#36 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:36 pm

vege wrote:Wrong, he is getting signed because of who his agent is.

If someone needs to know why we signed him, I'll Tellum.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#37 » by Jstock12 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:47 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:
vege wrote:Wrong, he is getting signed because of who his agent is.

If someone needs to know why we signed him, I'll Tellum.

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#38 » by Snakebites » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:41 pm

mattyj wrote:
Just remember, they compared DeShawn Stephenson to Michael Jordan

Sent from my CPH1701 using RealGM mobile app

To be fair, they’ve gotten more conservative with their comparisons in recent years, perhaps because they got made fun of for that and other comparisons.

JustinSane wrote:Singler was a useful player here for a second round pick. He didn't turn trash until he stole that MLE after leaving Detroit. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Sirvydis is that good.

Singler wasn’t awful, but he was pretty marginal. All he could do was shoot and even at his brief peak with us he was merely above average in that one limited respect, and couldn’t even sustain that long term. I don’t think he’d have gotten big minutes for many other teams.

If that is the kid’s ceiling he’s not worth a 3 year deal.

He’s been putting up Singler-like stats in Europe. Granted, he’s only 20, but still- hardly an inspiring signing.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#39 » by Jstock12 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:30 pm

As a Sirvydis believer, I think Kyle Singler is a very optimistic comparison for Deividas. I'd be ecstatic if he ends up as Singler 2.0
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#40 » by Snakebites » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:04 pm

Jstock12 wrote:As a Sirvydis believer, I think Kyle Singler is a very optimistic comparison for Deividas. I'd be ecstatic if he ends up as Singler 2.0

Singler was only able to play 2 years as a guy who'd have been a 10th or 11th guy on a good team.

If you think that's on the optimistic end, then you aren't a believer.

Return to Detroit Pistons