ImageImage

Fool Me Twice: The Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#821 » by DY_nasty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:07 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:We've taken a major step in our identity... teams that win in this league are versatile, have multiple play-makers on the floor, two-way players. We have more versatility, we have length, high IQ." - JB
Sam Perley
@sam_perley
·
4h
JB says a player of
@gordonhayward
's caliber and experience will be a major benefit to the team's younger core in seeing how he practices, prepares and carries himself on a day-to-day basis
Sam Perley
@sam_perley
·
4h
also mentions the
@Hornets
have multiple playmakers with size now (Hayward, Ball, Washington, Bridges, etc); finishing at the rim should improve and increase open 3P attempts as well

These 3 quotes from Borrego are exactly what I was talking about above. We may try to be fan "experts" on here but Borrego is professional in his field. I think he is absolutely correct and the naysayers will be wondering why we aren't so terrible after all, lol. Meanwhile, the team will play exciting modern basketball....

what are these guys supposed to do? take a crap on their employer?

its the coaches job to make the best out of any situation or roster. i don't need to be an expert to say that WHG's defense was absolutely terrible and he never should see the court until he can get his hands up and move his feet at the same time. but borrego has to play the hand he's dealt with positive energy and say all the right things because its in his job description.

if the hornets cut me a check i'd tell you nic batum was the best player and person i've ever had the pleasure of watching :lol:
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,277

Post#822 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:44 pm

Coaches also are working under a different timeline than fans.

It's easy for us to say we should stack up Ls this year to get Cade Cunningham, or maybe tank two years in a row to pull a full Process, but if that actually happened there's no way JB would survive it. He'd be on the street and some new guy would get to work with all the talent he helped accrue by being a good soldier and accepting the losses.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#823 » by wilson115 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#824 » by SWedd523 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:34 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:Coaches also are working under a different timeline than fans.

It's easy for us to say we should stack up Ls this year to get Cade Cunningham, or maybe tank two years in a row to pull a full Process, but if that actually happened there's no way JB would survive it. He'd be on the street and some new guy would get to work with all the talent he helped accrue by being a good soldier and accepting the losses.

That's assuming the FO and coaching staff don't share a common vision. They don't operate in two separate vacuums

If the FO is dictating a tank of sorts, it's very highly unlikely they're going to scapegoat a coach unless they're simply looking for an excuse
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#825 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:37 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Coaches also are working under a different timeline than fans.

That's assuming the FO and coaching staff don't share a common vision. They don't operate in two separate vacuums

If the FO is dictating a tank of sorts, it's very highly unlikely they're going to scapegoat a coach unless they're simply looking for an excuse

Yeah, it's definitely possible. The Sixers stuck with Brett Brown through the worst of The Process because they had that understanding. That's what every smart team should do, unless the coach is just a Dunlap situation where he looks totally clueless.

It just seems like more often than not teams say 'oh yeah, we know it's a youth movement so the coach will get a lot of slack' and then they still get canned anyway. "Looking for an excuse" is a great way to put it. In those cases it just seems like GMs are trying to pass the buck after the owner realizes it feels crappy to get spanked every night and wants someone to be held accountable.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#826 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 1, 2020 11:54 pm

What areas of his game does Hayward have to focus on in order to justify the contract?

Seems like there is already discussion and an awareness that he needs to take and connect on more 3’s.

What else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#827 » by wilson115 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:59 am

BigSlam wrote:What areas of his game does Hayward have to focus on in order to justify the contract?

Seems like there is already discussion and an awareness that he needs to take and connect on more 3’s.

What else?

Adjusting to being the number one option on a young team. Both in the quality of defenders he gets to face and maybe assertiveness. Otherwise hard to see what needs improvement seeing the numbers.

Jan 21, 2020

The perception of him having a poor year is questionable, too. Statistically, he is among the league leaders in multiple play types. Synergy has Hayward ranking above the 80th percentile in the following play types:

Transition (98th percentile)
Half-Court clutch shots (less than 4 seconds left, 92nd percentile)
Spot-up shots (83rd percentile)
ISO scoring (97th percentile)
Points off of cuts (88th percentile)
Defending the big man in the pick-and-roll (97th percentile)
Defending dribble hand-off’s (82nd percentile)

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/1/21/21073992/in-defense-of-gordon-hayward, https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/2/25/21151632/scapegoating-gordon-hayward-is-getting-old-los-angeles-lakers-boston-celtics

Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#828 » by Rays Pompadour » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:18 pm

Short order cookin': the Gordon Hayward thread

Do the Hornets have finishers? Who's the best corner shooter? I'd think Carey would be a big beneficiary of Hayward's vision, though Hayward will have to look for his shot first to set up some of the passes we see in the video.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#829 » by Radu_Hornets » Thu Dec 3, 2020 7:36 am

Just saw this on the Hornets Reddit Page !

BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#830 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Yeah, he's not going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,496

Post#831 » by HornetJail » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:36 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, he's not going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's all I can say. This is another Batum/Harris level contract
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#832 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:41 am

It just keeps getting better
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#833 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:29 am

Wall had a trade kicker as well and it didn't stop WAS from finding a partner, but obviously it will make trading Hayward a lot more difficult.

I'm not too worried about it tbh. Hayward will either work out or he won't but Mitch has shown no ability to swing a big trade during his tenure here so it probably wasn't going to start now trade kicker or not. He has his strengths, he's a great drafter, but wheeling and dealing is not one of them.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#834 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:34 am

Hornet Mania wrote:Wall had a trade kicker as well and it didn't stop WAS from finding a partner, but obviously it will make trading Hayward a lot more difficult.

I'm not too worried about it tbh. Hayward will either work out or he won't but Mitch has shown no ability to swing a big trade during his tenure here so it probably wasn't going to start now trade kicker or not. He has his strengths, he's a great drafter, but wheeling and dealing is not one of them.

He's clearly also terrible at valuing free agents. See also Hayward, Gordon.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#835 » by James Gatz » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:37 am

Hornet Mania wrote:Wall had a trade kicker as well and it didn't stop WAS from finding a partner, but obviously it will make trading Hayward a lot more difficult.

Wall had a trade kicker but he was already at the max so it didn't matter. It certainly would if we get to the point of trying to move on from Hayward. Paying him 36 mil compared to 31 on that last year matters.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,115

Post#836 » by KembaWalker » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:21 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:

He's clearly also terrible at valuing free agents. See also Hayward, Gordon.

if you only want to pay free agents at or below market value, you have to accept that we will literally never sign anyone even remotely near all star level
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#837 » by yosemiteben » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:24 pm

Cody the closer

Read on Twitter
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#838 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:41 pm

Cody: Alright Gordo, let me give it to you straight. There's this place called Cookout and this drink called Sun Drop that can change your life...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#839 » by LofJ » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:03 pm

Cookout is amazing, but living away from NC the restaurant chain I miss the most is Bojangles. The last time I flew into the Charlotte airport I made a mad dash to Bojangles. I had no extra time to make my next flight, but I didn't give a damn. I was going to eat some Bojangles biscuits and chicken regardless of the consequences (I still made my flight thankfully). My wife was pretty angry with me and didn't understand (she grew up in Louisiana), but a man has to do what a man has to do.
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#840 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:25 pm

LofJ wrote:Cookout is amazing, but living away from NC the restaurant chain I miss the most is Bojangles. The last time I flew into the Charlotte airport I made a mad dash to Bojangles. I had no extra time to make my next flight, but I didn't give a damn. I was going to eat some Bojangles biscuits and chicken regardless of the consequences (I still made my flight thankfully). My wife was pretty angry with me and didn't understand (she grew up in Louisiana), but a man has to do what a man has to do.

No doubt, Bojangles is a must whenever I come to visit. My wife (who is Austrian) doesn't care for Cookout or Sun Drop at all but she's told me several times since the pandemic that the most disappointing part about not going to the US this year was that she didn't get to eat Bojangles chicken with honey mustard sauce like usual.

Return to Charlotte Hornets