ImageImageImage

Monte Morris: a Denver Nuggets X-Factor

Moderator: THE J0KER

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Re: Monte Morris: a Denver Nuggets X-Factor 

Post#41 » by DaFan334 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:29 am

Great deal for us. I was concerned with Facu we might be looking to move Monte, glad that's not the case. I could see us running a lot of dual point guard lineups this year with any combination of Murray, Morris, Campazzo and Dozier.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#42 » by The Rebel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:49 am

DaFan334 wrote:Great deal for us. I was concerned with Facu we might be looking to move Monte, glad that's not the case. I could see us running a lot of dual point guard lineups this year with any combination of Murray, Morris, Campazzo and Dozier.

There is a quote from Dozier that was floating around twitter a day or two ago, he said they have been having him work at SF as well as PG and SG. I think we are going to keep at least 2 guys that can run the pick and roll all the time, with 2 shooters 1 that can iso at forward to spread the floor. It may hurt us on defense, but that offense is going to be hell to stop if we have dependable shooters and guys move off the ball.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#43 » by TunaFish » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:11 am

The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is a lot cheaper than I thought we would get him for, he must really want to be here for this next run.

Great news, solidifies the bench for three years.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by The Rebel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:46 am

Read on Twitter

I had heard about this, don't know if others had or not. Morris calling Campazzo while many of us thought that was his ticket out of town is pretty cool and shows what a good team mate he is.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by The Rebel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:55 am

Another thing that I don't think many are aware of, Morris and Hartenstein played in the gleague together, they were supposedly deadly in the pick and roll. Having those 2 with Campazzo and kick outs to either Barton, MPJ, and/or Bol should be a very good bench.
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#46 » by Maf » Tue Dec 8, 2020 8:20 am

It is no secret Monte is my favourite Nuggets player. So I am excited about this signing. I wonder how will coach Malone manage minutes with three PG. Facundo might to be like- you have to play me. I didn't buy myself of contract with Real to sit. And Monte like- you didn't sign me for 9 mils to sit. To make both of them happy should we play Jamal at SG, Garry at SF a lot, with Barton that would mean MPJ at PF a lot, tough to see any minutes for Dozier, Čančar or even Green...
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#47 » by Manolito » Tue Dec 8, 2020 9:05 am

Excellent news. Look at Malik´s and Juancho´s contract, even Grant´s and Monte is the better player. I am also a bit confused about the 3 quality PG roster, we are going to be forced to play two guard lineups. Barton will exclusively play as SF.

One detail. Had Grant signed 60Mx3 contract with us, no way Monte would have been renewed.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#48 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Dec 8, 2020 1:02 pm

I love Morris' game --- two-way player that can play either guard slot, doesn't make many mistakes, enables others to be at their best. I would love to keep him around; but that contract might just make him more attractive to some teams to trade for. Just pointing out something everyone seems to be ignoring.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,311

Post#49 » by oldncreaky » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:52 pm

Congratulations to Denver fans. Having a quality, two-way, low-mistake backup PG is a great asset to have. Getting him at less than 10M/yr is a steal. Having one who buys into the role is priceless.

I watch mostly Raptor games because my Pistons are horrible, but I would happily agree that Monte is the best (current) backup PG in the league. Love watching him. It will keep a lot of fans on the bandwagon happy too!
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by The Rebel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:10 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:I love Morris' game --- two-way player that can play either guard slot, doesn't make many mistakes, enables others to be at their best. I would love to keep him around; but that contract might just make him more attractive to some teams to trade for. Just pointing out something everyone seems to be ignoring.

Under the CBA Morris cannot be traded until after the season now. You have to keep a guy at least 6 months after signing an extension which is well past the trade deadline. So while he may be considered even more valuable with this deal he is here for another year after this.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#51 » by TunaFish » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:49 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:I love Morris' game --- two-way player that can play either guard slot, doesn't make many mistakes, enables others to be at their best. I would love to keep him around; but that contract might just make him more attractive to some teams to trade for. Just pointing out something everyone seems to be ignoring.

Under the CBA Morris cannot be traded until after the season now. You have to keep a guy at least 6 months after signing an extension which is well past the trade deadline. So while he may be considered even more valuable with this deal he is here for another year after this.

That is also good news because I think we are going to need him more than as a trade piece, at least this year.
Canned in Denver.
Manolito
Senior

Post#52 » by Manolito » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:59 pm

One question, when does its extension kicks in? Immediately or next season once his current contract is over?

In Spotrac, they are reporting the extension is effective already this season, earning 8.3M. That means that Nuggets are 3M over the luxury cap, which is a complicated situation. I have not read anybody mentioning we are over the tax but Spotrac delivers quite accurate information.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:29 pm

Manolito wrote:One question, when does its extension kicks in? Immediately or next season once his current contract is over?

In Spotrac, they are reporting the extension is effective already this season, earning 8.3M. That means that Nuggets are 3M over the luxury cap, which is a complicated situation. I have not read anybody mentioning we are over the tax but Spotrac delivers quite accurate information.

Remember that salary cap is based on what happens throughout the year and not at any given point, if I understand correctly. A small amount like that can be adjusted during the year with a trade or by cutting a player.
Manolito
Senior

Post#54 » by Manolito » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:35 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Manolito wrote:One question, when does its extension kicks in? Immediately or next season once his current contract is over?

Remember that salary cap is based on what happens throughout the year and not at any given point, if I understand correctly. A small amount like that can be adjusted during the year with a trade or by cutting a player.

I know it is counted at the end of the season including bonuses, but starting the season above the tax is not a good situation as it reduces flexibility in any trade. Specially this season with the Warriors expected to have a huge tax bill which might force Kroenke to order to go below the tax mandatory.

If we are 3M over the tax it is not that easy to move below the tax. It is not enough to dump Cancar (who in principle is the only player nobody would miss), which means we would be starting the season with the need to complete a big trade.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#55 » by TunaFish » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:42 pm

Good question. I have always thought that an extension begins the following season at the end of the current contract: although, Spotrac shows it starting this season. I think Spotrac is incorrect but this is not my area of expertise. It does matter for luxury tax purposes if Spotrac is correct and Denver may need to make a move accordingly later in the season.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Dec 8, 2020 9:40 pm

TunaFish wrote:

Good question. I have always thought that an extension begins the following season at the end of the current contract: although, Spotrac shows it starting this season. I think Spotrac is incorrect but this is not my area of expertise. It does matter for luxury tax purposes if Spotrac is correct and Denver may need to make a move accordingly later in the season.

I do believe the renegotiation takes effect immediately and nullifies the previous contract.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by The Rebel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:19 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

I do believe the renegotiation takes effect immediately and nullifies the previous contract.

He signed an extension not a renegotiation, to renegotiate a contract the team has to have cap room available and we don't. It will kick in next year, as I have said other times you have to be careful with all the salary tracking sites, especially when deals are 1st announced. I don't know where they get their exact numbers from, but I do know that most of them have no idea how the CBA works.

Read on Twitter

They likely gave him some kind of signing bonus which does not go against the cap, but encourages guys to sign a year early.

As for cap ramifications, this year there is none, next year if Barton opts in than it will likely put us into the luxury tax, which by then we will know if we are a true contender or not.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:21 am

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Good question. I have always thought that an extension begins the following season at the end of the current contract: although, Spotrac shows it starting this season. I think Spotrac is incorrect but this is not my area of expertise. It does matter for luxury tax purposes if Spotrac is correct and Denver may need to make a move accordingly later in the season.

He signed an extension not a renegotiation, to renegotiate a contract the team has to have cap room available and we don't. It will kick in next year, as I have said other times you have to be careful with all the salary tracking sites, especially when deals are 1st announced. I don't know where they get their exact numbers from, but I do know that most of them have no idea how the CBA works.

Read on Twitter

They likely gave him some kind of signing bonus which does not go against the cap, but encourages guys to sign a year early.

As for cap ramifications, this year there is none, next year if Barton opts in than it will likely put us into the luxury tax, which by then we will know if we are a true contender or not.

Thanks, was counting on you to have the answer. You seem to understand the salary/cap issues better than most.
Manolito
Senior

Post#59 » by Manolito » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:09 am

After all these last minute extensions, Monte seems to be even more of a bargain.

Fultz 50x3, White 72x4...I don't see any of these players considerably better than Monte

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#60 » by THE J0KER » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:23 am

Manolito wrote:After all these last minute extensions, Monte seems to be even more of a bargain.

Fultz 50x3, White 72x4...I don't see any of these players considerably better than Monte

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app

Fultz was 3 years ago #1 pick, so gambling on his future breakthrough is legit. Spurs after 2 decades of being playoff team suffering small market curse, and must overpay own players to hold them. But 72/4 is too much for White. Defense makes him more valuable player than Monte, but not double worthy for sure.

Return to Denver Nuggets