ImageImageImageImageImage

How good is Alex lenn from 1 to 10

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,437

Re: How good is Alex lenn from 1 to 10 

Post#81 » by planetmars » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:47 pm

antonaki1 wrote:
planetmars wrote:This is his 8th season in the NBA.. he's not great meaning he was definitely not worthy of being a lottery pick. But he's a capable bench big. The problem is that bigs are just not as important in today's NBA as they once used to be.

If a trash player that shouldn't have been in the league is a 1. And let's say a mid-level player is a 7.. then he's about a 4 or 5. But that's mainly again because of the center position and what happened to it.

During regular season maybe true enough. But come playoff time when everything slows down to the physicality of the half court, the big man becomes so much more important.

I don't think that's really true. Jokic was the only real big that made a difference in the bubble playoffs. Miami and Boston both stayed small. Lakers went small against Houston to match up with them in the second round. They used Howard against Jokic but still averaged under 20mpg (he played more in game 5). And wasn't really used at all in the finals. I don't think you need to be big to play against Lopez and Milwaukee. Miami didn't have problems for example.

OKC (Stevens), Utah (Gobert), Orlando (Vucevic) all lost in the first round.
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#82 » by hst420 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:53 pm

dTox wrote:
hst420 wrote:Hell of a lot better than Gasol. He's got great per 36 stats and is a bit of a sleeper imo.

How much of Alex Lenn have you really watched?

Enough
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#83 » by niQ » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:24 pm

No idea but from the limited number of videos I saw from the initial Len acquisition thread he looks like a more nimble JV and does not contemplate life before taking a 3. Oh yea, he also doesn't pump fake like 8 times before taking it to the rim.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#84 » by Psubs » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:39 pm

planetmars wrote:
antonaki1 wrote:
planetmars wrote:This is his 8th season in the NBA.. he's not great meaning he was definitely not worthy of being a lottery pick. But he's a capable bench big. The problem is that bigs are just not as important in today's NBA as they once used to be.

If a trash player that shouldn't have been in the league is a 1. And let's say a mid-level player is a 7.. then he's about a 4 or 5. But that's mainly again because of the center position and what happened to it.

During regular season maybe true enough. But come playoff time when everything slows down to the physicality of the half court, the big man becomes so much more important.

I don't think that's really true. Jokic was the only real big that made a difference in the bubble playoffs. Miami and Boston both stayed small. Lakers went small against Houston to match up with them in the second round. They used Howard against Jokic but still averaged under 20mpg (he played more in game 5). And wasn't really used at all in the finals. I don't think you need to be big to play against Lopez and Milwaukee. Miami didn't have problems for example.

PF Siakam (34) - Boucher (14)
C Baynes (24) - Len (20) - Boucher (4)
planetmars
Sixth Man

Post#85 » by planetmars » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:47 pm

Psubs wrote:
planetmars wrote:
antonaki1 wrote:During regular season maybe true enough. But come playoff time when everything slows down to the physicality of the half court, the big man becomes so much more important.

PF Siakam (34) - Boucher (14)
C Baynes (24) - Len (20) - Boucher (4)

I don't want this to turn into another debate on this.. just so I'm clear.

I don't like when teams go 48 minutes a night without a true big. I think they are essential to a team. And I think teams for the most part agree with that (hence why a team like Boston got Thompson, or why the Clippers got Serge, and why the Lakers went after Gasol). What I do think is that when it comes down to crunch time and execution a big is not as important as it used to be (like say in the playoffs).

And this is why most bigs do not make as much as they used to. I think if Len played in the early 2000's he'd be making more than the mid-level. But now in 2020/2021 he's getting basically a minimum contract.

So to rank a true center in the 1-10 ranking where 1 is Arujo and Shaq is 10 is tough in today's NBA.
planetmars
Sixth Man

Post#86 » by planetmars » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:49 pm

This is also why I think paying Gobert a $20M+ deal is a bad idea. He's a good player but a bad ROI in my opinion.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#87 » by johanliebert » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:10 pm

lol at the scale.

He's a solid center, good rebounder and is a lob threat. Kyle will hit him off roles like he used to with JV and boucher to an extent. He can easily start as well if need be.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#88 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:39 pm

i expect him to be a good defensive backup C whos bad offensively

pretty similar to Bismack a couple years ago imo
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#89 » by Dalek » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:26 pm

Len has been around for quite a while now and he is a pretty aggressive C in every sense.

You let him o-rebound and screen hard while you let his use fouls freely on defense. He looks fairly undisciplined on defense so the team will likely have to live with his fouling and his lack of switchability.

Given the way Toronto plays, I only see him as a depth guy when Toronto faces bigger teams. Boucher is a better rim protector and shooter that I trust more.
MonkBatter42
RealGM
And1: 21,120

Post#90 » by MonkBatter42 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:02 am

Morse Code wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:
makeready wrote:alex len is about to steal your sunshine

not many will get this

I used to be a recording artist and I was gonna do a song with them for $500. I didn’t do it because I picked a different style, and looking back, it was a good call. Talk about a 1 hit wonder.

Loll great story. I'm sure it didn't help that the main dude and girl portrayed themselves to be a couple, whereas they were actually brother and sister :lol:
MonkBatter42
RealGM
And1: 21,120

Post#91 » by MonkBatter42 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:06 am

lolwut wrote:
Kinger95 wrote:Almost nothing can be worse than bubble Marc gasol. Seriously look up the stats. We blame pascal and that’s fine but I’m convinced that we beat Boston with 2019 Marc

There was so much hype about Gasol getting into amazing shape to prepare for the bubble. We all got hoodwinked.

Lakers fans are going to flame him so bad when they realize how washed he is. Unlike Danny Green, Marc won't actually take an open shot.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#92 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:09 am

“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,707

Post#93 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:10 am

MonkBatter42 wrote:
Morse Code wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:
not many will get this

I used to be a recording artist and I was gonna do a song with them for $500. I didn’t do it because I picked a different style, and looking back, it was a good call. Talk about a 1 hit wonder.

Loll great story. I'm sure it didn't help that the main dude and girl portrayed themselves to be a couple, whereas they were actually brother and sister :lol:

This chills me to this very day.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#94 » by John Murdoch » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 am

5 1/2 , hes good sometimes in fantasy when he has to play major minutes due to injuries but in real life hes awful. Baynes is a stud on the other hand , celtics havent been the same since he left
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,885

Post#95 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:27 am

Nurse says look for offensive rebounds and rim protection. To be glued low in the paint. He won't get too many looks from 3 and the 3 ball will look like JV shooting it. He is going to get a role like rookie Poetl where he gets 6 points and six boards on high efficiency. He should develop that shot. I think he is health insurance for Baynes.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,885

Post#96 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:43 am

A five rating with potential to be like another JV but probably not as intense. He may be Bayne's understudy. I thought there was a good chance Serge and Marc were history especially with Tampa going on and Baynes was going to be a prime consideration and then Len would be a nice "big" back-up. Bobby and Masai plucked what was sort of obvious. Nurse no doubt will try to use Boucher at the 5 so these were both playoffs driven acquisitions IMHO. Baynes may only play 22-25 minutes reg season and Boucher gets 10 at the 5 because of minutes at the 4 so Len, lo and behold, sneaks in there with up to a possible 16 mins a game depending on match-ups. That means Boucher could clock 20-25 minutes a night this year at the 4 and 5. As much floor time as Baynes. I don't see Nurse running Paskal and Lowry ragged with 38 minutes a night this season.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#97 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:33 pm

We’ll get a first hand view of the Raptors and Len in..

“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#98 » by BlackThought » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:16 pm

If Len can knock down some open 3s he'll be a 5 or a 6. Bad at catching passes isn't a big deal any more since I don't expect him doing a lot of finishing near the paint. He'll set screens, do hand offs, grab some offensive boards, and knock down open Js.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#99 » by Psubs » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:06 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:We’ll get a first hand view of the Raptors and Len in..

vs Charlotte bigs! :D
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#100 » by lolwut » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:25 pm

Is it just me or does Len's movements look clumsy? Not sure if it's a lack of coordination or footwork, but he just doesn't look very fluid.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man

Return to Toronto Raptors