2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#161 » by UNCNYC » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:16 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:After most of my research I am pretty much back at square one with most of the guys I came into this season liking from last season.

Last night answered a lot of questions. Before the night started I had Ayo Dosunmu, James Bouknight, David Duke, Adam Miller
in as who I think we should consider as SG. I walked away still HIGHLY impressed with Ayo. Ayo imo is the best player
in college basketball.

Miller is still young and will probably factor more next year. As of now I wont consider him and have narrowed that down to
Ayo Dosunmu, James Bouknight, David Duke.

I am tied with who to choose between Bouknight and Duke. I am slightly leaning towards Duke because he is a combo guard.

Players I have been disappointed with are Ziarre Williams, Jalen Johnson,

I am so so with are Brandon Boston and scottie barnes.

I like Mobley but not sure if I would take him over Tubelis.

--------------------
These are the players I am considering. The list isn't as long as it seems. The first line are players I think are 1st round
talents. The 2nd line players are just in consideration for 2nd round. They are listed in order of best to worst imo.

PG 1 - Jared Butler, Jason Preston, Cade Cunningham,
PG 2 - Scotty Pippen JR, Ty Berry, DJ Carton, Tre Mann, Max Abmas, Arturs Zagars, Caleb Murphy, Nimari Barnett, Ronaldo Segu,

SG 1 - Ayo Dosunmu, David Duke, James Bouknight, Jalen Green,
SG 2 - Keyontae Johnson, Adam Miller, BJ Boston JR., Macio Teague, Moses Moody, Cameron Thomas, Jaden Shackelford

SF 1 - Both Gache, Aaron Wiggins, Jalen Wilson,
SF 2 - Ziaire Williams, Toumani Camara, Trey Murphy, Andre Jackson, Colby Jones, Jabri Abdur-Rahim,
Derrick Alston Jr., Malcolm Cazalon, Jalen Johnson,

PF 1 - Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Trendon Watford,
PF 2 - Trayce Jackson-Davis, Dawson Garcia, Chris Smith, Amar Sylla, Brady Manek, Coleman Hawkins,

C 1 - Azuolas Tubelis, Evan Mobley,
C 2 - Xavier Foster, Drew Timme, Kai Jones, Jericho Sims, Will Baker, Derek Culver, Charles Bassey, Kofi Cockburn,
Makur Maker, Moses Wright

Not to be an a$$hole or anything UNCNYC bc I see you and your vision. However, dropping all of these fringe first rounders/second round gems over guys like Cunningham and Mobley, much the way you had similar prospects over top-5 prospects this past year is silly.

Is there a way we can start a separate thread for mid-late first rounders and/or Draft Gems that you can post in, and then leave the 2021 Draft thread for other talk that is more realistic?

Again, I feel you as an NFL draft/prospect nerd myself, I love analyzing and diving down rabbit holes of potential prospects. However, I would never rank Jalen Hurts over Joe Burrow for the #1 overall pick or Yetur Gross-Matos over Chase Young.

IDK, maybe I'm just that old guy telling kids to get off his lawn......

The majority of guys I posted were considered a joke a year ago now all of them are projected 1st rounders and some lottery
picks and one Ayo considered a favorite for player of the year.

Noone heard if James Bouknight, barely respected Jeramiah Robinson-Earl, or Trendon Watford and barely knew David Duke other than
being a racist. Now they are projected near lottery.

Berely knew Jason Preston now I see people saying he's a first round talent. So I am supposed to keep all of
that to myself huh because of a person who has trouble using a board for what is was meant to be used for lmao.

So I am supposed to post players who the EXPERTS suggest who the majority end up bust and overlook guys who if picked a year
prior might be steals when we pick?

I said Jalen McDaniels was going to be better than a, too short for his position, overweight, low b-ball iq, barely shoot guy
and if given the chance I bet he will be.

I said Eric Pascall would be an EXCELLENT backup to Draymond Green and he has proven that and some imo.

I had Graham ranked over the majority of players drafted ahead of him and he has far exceeded whats been asked of him.

At one point I had Martin as the top rated PG that year and he has proven himself to be a baller.

You want to know how to SILENCE UNCNYC? Try something simple like posting something worthy of discussing, then maybe I wont
feel the need to post because I can read someone elses prospective.

So I am supposed to keep my vision limmited for you who barely seems to even be able to cope currently lol.

Your opinion drives me to be UNCNYC because I want to avoid having live in a life of being so "limitted visually" and
outcast. I have had some who disagree with me and I have had some who seem to love me. Either way I ate breakfast today Thank God.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#162 » by CatgutStitches » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm fine with your posting your "gems" but to be fair you do it like 5 times a day and change your mind after every game, so it isn't really constructive. I can tell you I just scroll through your lists looking for new things to view.

And sure you've hit on a few guys, but the vast majority of your favorite players are barely playing in the G-league or overseas...

But you know, do what makes ya happy

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#163 » by UNCNYC » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:40 am

How about this.

I know something that should make everyone happy.

It might sound like a reach but, how bout we post what players we like, do not attack anyone, and just keep it sports related...?

And do what God intended us to do which is be ourselves and keep it respectful.

I know that might sound tough to a "couple" but it might just work.

BTW my apologies to anyone who happened to be taken away from a sports forum for insensitive, baseless and non needed attacks.

I respect and have gone out of my way to NEVER attack anyone in this board. And never will.

Do I agree with every prospect heck to the no, but I am mature enough and respecful enough to someone who might appreciate another
persons views to allow that person to do just that. Post their fun TOPIC RELATED VIEWS. I truly value and appreciate the large
majority here more than you know.

I am happy you have allowed me to be me for the most part.

I wouldn't change any of you, I just hope that you don't try to change me especially for something that should have no merrit
other than (I do not like your posting METHOD/STYLE) which in that case can come accross as harrassment, control and bullying.

No need for that. We are all DIFFERENT. Some are outspoken, others are quiet.

Just because you are less outspoken doesn't mean someone can't and wont take offense to that. Some people want you to be more
involved and call you a bore...

I have never asked anyone to alter their posting methods and never would. Just as long as you keep it sports related you are fine
in my book.

As long as neither attack the other they SHOULD be able to co-exist.

A message board is not loud music, so it doesn't keep you up at night. It's not a foul odor so its not affecting you there either.

For those of you who like my post I truly appreciate it and those who do not continue to pass them over, while also knowing
they were meant for enjoyment and not anything else.

It wouldn't be fair for me to change my posting style because there are some who like it.
Why should they suffer just to please a "few" who want to go around and say post this way, walk this way, wear your clothes
this way, don't sit near me etc...
when nothing is being lost on their end other than a lack of control of another persons perspective...

Either way, its way or either. GO HORNETS <3.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#164 » by UNCNYC » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:43 am

Man I was surpised to see David Duke play today. He had 28 pts, 7 assist. That dude is OFFICIAL. His last game he posted 28 pts as well. Almost back to back 30 games. I just found out about this guy who I like. His name is JaQuori McLaughlin. If he goes undrafted he is a MUST. I LOVE his playing style. I also really like Macio Teague and Jaden Shackleford.

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#165 » by CatgutStitches » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:53 am

Noone attacked you at all. It's no big deal, I guess I'll just go elsewhere to learn about draft prospects and not come to this forum anymore if I don't want to deal with it. It sucks because you actual have some good info sometimes, but whatever.

You know, changing MY forum going experience

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#166 » by UNCNYC » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:14 am

No need to leave the forum. Just do what I adn most people do, bypass what you don't like and try not to control someone elses sports perspective. I am sure the owners of the site love posters who post alot lol. I barely like half the stuff posted on here but I don't try to control anyones perspective. I just keep scrolling and respond to what I want. As long as they aren't promoting any businesses or products and are doing what's expected in posting during an ever changing season then what can I do. The draft is not here and so game after game there will be changes in opinions for some. If a dude drops back to back 30 pts of course I might say hey this guy might be the goods. Like I said, a lack of posting, or boring post is no more non offensive to someone than posting a lot. (not saying your post are boring by the way just using an example etc..) People are different. I don't want to be CatgutStitches and you shouldn't want to be UNCNYC. With that said, I hope that you stick around the boards. Your opinions are valued and appreciated. GO HORNETS.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#167 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:43 am

UNCNYC, I wasn't trying to attack you and control you. It was more of a suggestion and I tried to present it professionally without emotion.

It's good to have someone that is so diehard and into prospects and trying to find high caliber prospects "outside the box".

I wouldn't expect you to hit on every swing for the fences that you take, as most draftniks often do not.

We're all fans here and enjoy chatting with all of the true, diehard Hornets/Bobcats/LOLCats fans that have powered through the ups and downs of this crazy franchise.

I don't want to derail this thread, so we can totally continue this convo in DMs if you'd like.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#168 » by JMAC3 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:50 am

UNCNYC wrote:
I said Jalen McDaniels was going to be better than a, too short for his position, overweight, low b-ball iq, barely shoot guy

Still one of the worst takes I have seen on this board haha. I will bet any amount of money you would like on this haha

UNCNYC wrote:
At one point I had Martin as the top rated PG that year and he has proven himself to be a baller.

I have a feeling that if Martin was the top rated PG and a team spent a top 5 or 10 or even top 20 pick on him they would be a bit disappointed thus far. Hope he works out, but he should never be or been considered a top pg in the draft.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#169 » by UNCNYC » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 am

JMAC3 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:

Still one of the worst takes I have seen on this board haha. I will bet any amount of money you would like on this haha

UNCNYC wrote:

I have a feeling that if Martin was the top rated PG and a team spent a top 5 or 10 or even top 20 pick on him they would be a bit disappointed thus far. Hope he works out, but he should never be or been considered a top pg in the draft.

Lmao, nah that prediction had to be made. I will stand by it forever, unless I get stiches from a cat cut hahaha. You guys rock. Thanks I appreciate you. Now back to drafting. I got a D leaguer I think will take over the league. Will post soon lmaooooooooooooooooo
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#170 » by UNCNYC » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:08 am

This is for the people who think I make bad picks. Take that take, take that, take that hahaha. JK. David Duke has arrived. This guy is un real. these are his last two games. I love ayo and bouknight but I might lowkey like this guy a tad bit more. Goodnight guys and enjoy the poetry that is Mr David UNC lol.

;t=186s

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,746

Post#171 » by Diop » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:15 am

Cade Cunningham is ridiculous. He just looks like a star ready to lead a team.

I wish we could get the 1st pick next year, but I'm sure we wont
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#172 » by stinger14 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Diop wrote:Cade Cunningham is ridiculous. He just looks like a star ready to lead a team.

I wish we could get the 1st pick next year, but I'm sure we wont

Agree, kid looks legit. Its early in the season, but so far I sm really impressed with Cunningham, Mobley, and Suggs. I also like Green and Kuminga.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#173 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:33 pm

Refresh my memory, have there been Ricky Williams-esque deals on draft day in the NBA? If we think someone in the top-3 is a "can't miss" prospect and is the final piece to our young core puzzle, would a team pass on that player for a package deal?

Hypothetically speaking, if we were to get a '21 first rounder for, say Rozier at the deadline. Would a package of....

Hornets '21 FRP
Acquired '21 FRP
Devonte
Miles

....entice someone to move out of that slot and pass on a Cunningham/Mobley/Green.

I ask because I wonder if Mitch will try to load up on assets between now and draft day to try and move up.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#174 » by amcoolio » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Unlikely in the NBA because one star player, especially on a rookie contract, holds more value than anything else

If we miss the playoffs I think we have a good chance at a top 7 pick because every team in the west will have better records than us except OKC, and there are more than 7 great players in this draft
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#175 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:21 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:Refresh my memory, have there been Ricky Williams-esque deals on draft day in the NBA?

They don't really occur in the NBA, but I think we could see one next year, though not from us.

If OKC doesn't get the top pick via the lottery, they've got roughly an entire lottery of future picks to ensure Cunningham never leaves Oklahoma.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#176 » by LofJ » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:48 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Soul Rebel wrote:Refresh my memory, have there been Ricky Williams-esque deals on draft day in the NBA?

They don't really occur in the NBA, but I think we could see one next year, though not from us.

If OKC doesn't get the top pick via the lottery, they've got roughly an entire lottery of future picks to ensure Cunningham never leaves Oklahoma.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My draft dream is for the Hornets to win the lottery and the Thunder make us an offer we can't refuse to move up for Cade. Something like Jalen Green/Mobley plus 2 additional firsts and one of the pick swaps they own.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#177 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 pm

amcoolio wrote:Unlikely in the NBA because one star player, especially on a rookie contract, holds more value than anything else

If we miss the playoffs I think we have a good chance at a top 7 pick because every team in the west will have better records than us except OKC, and there are more than 7 great players in this draft

If we really wanted to lock in a playoff spot Horford would be a Hornet by now. I suspect the plan is to aim for the sweet spot in the lottery. We also have some flexibility to move up a few notches if we like someone out of our range. I don't think adding Hayward changed our trajectory. The Wizards added Westbrook. The Hawks added Gallinari + Bogdonavic and filled out their bench. The Wolves will have a full year of Beasely + Russell and don't own their 2021 pick so they won't be tanking. Plus they added Rubio for vet leadership and he's a team player who will balance KAT, Russell, Beasely, Edwards.
Steph is back with the Warriors. Oubre in place of an injured Klay. Oladipo should be recovered for the Pacers. Raptors, Celtics, Bucks, Heat, Sixers, Nets with KD are all on a different tier. I'm confident we will be in the lottery.

Thunder, Pistons, Knicks, Bulls and Cavs are the only teams clearly worse. We could be slotted for pick 6 before the drawing.
It has been written...
amcoolio

Post#178 » by amcoolio » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:12 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Unlikely in the NBA because one star player, especially on a rookie contract, holds more value than anything else

If we really wanted to lock in a playoff spot Horford would be a Hornet by now. I suspect the plan is to aim for the sweet spot in the lottery. We also have some flexibility to move up a few notches if we like someone out of our range. I don't think adding Hayward changed our trajectory. The Wizards added Westbrook. The Hawks added Gallinari + Bogdonavic and filled out their bench. The Wolves will have a full year of Beasely + Russell and don't own their 2021 pick so they won't be tanking. Plus they added Rubio for vet leadership and he's a team player who will balance KAT, Russell, Beasely, Edwards.
Steph is back with the Warriors. Oubre in place of an injured Klay. Oladipo should be recovered for the Pacers. Raptors, Celtics, Bucks, Heat, Sixers, Nets with KD are all on a different tier. I'm confident we will be in the lottery.

Thunder, Pistons, Knicks, Bulls and Cavs are the only teams clearly worse. We could be slotted for pick 6 before the drawing.

Bulls have a chance to be better, Cavs not far off if Love and Sexton have a good season

First three will be the worst though, they are the only three outright tanking
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#179 » by James Gatz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:13 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:

There's always a surprise team like GSW last year that is terrible due to injury or some other factors. Rockets could easily be worse than us if they move Harden. I also think Bulls have the potential to be better than us, have them in a similar tier.

I think we'll likely end up with the 8th-9th pick and miss out on the top guys in this class. Still if we end up with a flawed wing I'd be happy. Guys like Zhaire, BJ, Keon should all be in the mix for us.

Outside of Cade, Mobley is the guy I'd want most for us. Cade will be better but not sure he and Lamelo really coexist. Still, if you get #1 you draft Cade. I have zero interest in trading him for a boatload. I'd rather move on from melo.
amcoolio

Post#180 » by amcoolio » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:20 pm

NBA is moving towards just playing your best 5 players. I think both can play together.

LaMelo should get his off-ball **** together now that he's in the NBA

Return to Charlotte Hornets