ImageImage

2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 12:57 am

Draft Selections as of 3/7
Memphis 1st: 13
Utah 1st: 30 (if 8-14)
Phoenix 2nd: 59 (if 31-35)
Portland 2nd: 53
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 12:58 am

Depending on where we land, I kinda like Scottie Barnes with our 1st. He can defend 1-5 and facilitate, but outside of passing his offensive game is ROUGH haha.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:30 am

I haven't seen more than one game from Jalen Johnson but liked what I saw.

If you watched his 4 blocks, they weren't just timing & instinct, he was reading the break down far ahead of the offensive execution, + defensive IQ.

He looked to be a potential triple threat.

With good size, his ball handling was solid, he showed ability to create for himself & others. + Unselfish.

With his size, athleticism & IQ, if his 3pt shot is refined, I think he has no holes in his game physically or mentally other than maybe being more aggressive.

He's an early favorite for me along with Jalen Green.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:42 am

VCfor3 wrote:Depending on where we land, I kinda like Scottie Barnes with our 1st. He can defend 1-5 and facilitate, but outside of passing his offensive game is ROUGH haha.


I haven't seen Barnes play yet, unfortunately.

I think Memphis are at a critical point/crossroad of the rebuild. The team maybe too good to be bad, where this draft has so many viable complete wing options atop the draft for a team in need of one. It's hard because we all want to win & want the players to play to win but at the same time don't want to fall out the top 10 of this draft & have to rely on luck.

This draft in Ja's 2nd year, could be the difference between Memphis being a playoff team or champion.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 24,075
And1: 2,117
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Depending on where we land, I kinda like Scottie Barnes with our 1st. He can defend 1-5 and facilitate, but outside of passing his offensive game is ROUGH haha.


I haven't seen Barnes play yet, unfortunately.

I think Memphis are at a critical point/crossroad of the rebuild. The team maybe too good to be bad, where this draft has so many viable complete wing options atop the draft for a team in need of one. It's hard because we all want to win & want the players to play to win but at the same time don't want to fall out the top 10 of this draft & have to rely on luck.

This draft in Ja's 2nd year, could be the difference between Memphis being a playoff team or champion.



It almost seems like a good problem to have. On one hand, with the vets who were on the team last season with the young guys helped created what a winning atmosphere is about despite of the result from last season. As for a potential of acquiring a top ten draft pick, it's hard to say what could happen for the result to take place. It's possible that maybe the Grizzlies could create some trading opportunities to acquire such a pick if the option could be made.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:38 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Depending on where we land, I kinda like Scottie Barnes with our 1st. He can defend 1-5 and facilitate, but outside of passing his offensive game is ROUGH haha.


I haven't seen Barnes play yet, unfortunately.

I think Memphis are at a critical point/crossroad of the rebuild. The team maybe too good to be bad, where this draft has so many viable complete wing options atop the draft for a team in need of one. It's hard because we all want to win & want the players to play to win but at the same time don't want to fall out the top 10 of this draft & have to rely on luck.

This draft in Ja's 2nd year, could be the difference between Memphis being a playoff team or champion.



It almost seems like a good problem to have. On one hand, with the vets who were on the team last season with the young guys helped created what a winning atmosphere is about despite of the result from last season. As for a potential of acquiring a top ten draft pick, it's hard to say what could happen for the result to take place. It's possible that maybe the Grizzlies could create some trading opportunities to acquire such a pick if the option could be made.

And there is always the tiny remote possibility of winning a top 4 pick in the lottery. But yeah maybe we can use the Utah pick or something to move up otherwise to grab one of the wings.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:19 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Depending on where we land, I kinda like Scottie Barnes with our 1st. He can defend 1-5 and facilitate, but outside of passing his offensive game is ROUGH haha.


I haven't seen Barnes play yet, unfortunately.

I think Memphis are at a critical point/crossroad of the rebuild. The team maybe too good to be bad, where this draft has so many viable complete wing options atop the draft for a team in need of one. It's hard because we all want to win & want the players to play to win but at the same time don't want to fall out the top 10 of this draft & have to rely on luck.

This draft in Ja's 2nd year, could be the difference between Memphis being a playoff team or champion.



It almost seems like a good problem to have. On one hand, with the vets who were on the team last season with the young guys helped created what a winning atmosphere is about despite of the result from last season. As for a potential of acquiring a top ten draft pick, it's hard to say what could happen for the result to take place. It's possible that maybe the Grizzlies could create some trading opportunities to acquire such a pick if the option could be made.


Disagree SD, this team is too good to be top 10, where it's the perfect draft to solidify the young core wing rotation.

Memphis stand a better chance of the Utah pick landing 8-14 than trading for another 2021 pick. The draft is too strong where only a star or complete desperation would lead to a top 10 pick becoming available. Minnesota were thought to have to give up more than 1 pick to dump Wiggins. GS settled for a lightly protected 2021 pick.

Maybe if Minnesota win enough to devalue their pick, GS at a point might entertain trading it for a big wing defender to aid a playoff run at the deadline ??.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:53 pm

My hope is that Jalen Johnson remains hesitant offensively & falls out the top 10. Memphis might be able to grab him with the 8-14 Utah pick :D
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:03 pm

Whole Truth wrote:My hope is that Jalen Johnson remains hesitant offensively & falls out the top 10. Memphis might be able to grab him with the 8-14 Utah pick :D

Utah has looked pretty decent this preseason, but we can hope!
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 24,075
And1: 2,117
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:52 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:My hope is that Jalen Johnson remains hesitant offensively & falls out the top 10. Memphis might be able to grab him with the 8-14 Utah pick :D

Utah has looked pretty decent this preseason, but we can hope!



Given this is Utah we're talking about, barring any major injuries, I don't see the pick coming the Grizzlies way until 2022 when it's 1-6 protected.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:My hope is that Jalen Johnson remains hesitant offensively & falls out the top 10. Memphis might be able to grab him with the 8-14 Utah pick :D

Utah has looked pretty decent this preseason, but we can hope!



Given this is Utah we're talking about, barring any major injuries, I don't see the pick coming the Grizzlies way until 2022 when it's 1-6 protected.


I don't think they would convey either but it was my odd way in saying teams aren't looking to deal a good pick in this draft.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:44 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Utah has looked pretty decent this preseason, but we can hope!



Given this is Utah we're talking about, barring any major injuries, I don't see the pick coming the Grizzlies way until 2022 when it's 1-6 protected.


I don't think they would convey either but it was my odd way in saying teams aren't looking to deal a good pick in this draft.

Gobert supposedly turned down a max offer from the Jazz and is seeking the Supermax. Could be an interesting situation to monitor moving forward. If he ends up getting moved then that pick has a chance to convey.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:48 pm

The Utah pick just took a hit, Gobert extended.

If Minnesota hand GS a top 5-10 pick in 21, the GS 24 pick will take another hit, after landing Wiseman. They will have started retooling far sooner than expected.

With the Grizz looking like a playoff team, would you offer up the 21 pick top 4 protected, Utah pick, GS pick for Simmons ?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Whole Truth wrote:The Utah pick just took a hit, Gobert extended.

If Minnesota hand GS a top 5-10 pick in 21, the GS 24 pick will take another hit, after landing Wiseman. They will have started retooling far sooner than expected.

With the Grizz looking like a playoff team, would you offer up the 21 pick top 4 protected, Utah pick, GS pick for Simmons ?.

I'd want to wait for the season to start before assuming we look like a playoff team, but either way I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Problem is that you have to add Clarke and Philly is still probably going to say no.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:51 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:The Utah pick just took a hit, Gobert extended.

If Minnesota hand GS a top 5-10 pick in 21, the GS 24 pick will take another hit, after landing Wiseman. They will have started retooling far sooner than expected.

With the Grizz looking like a playoff team, would you offer up the 21 pick top 4 protected, Utah pick, GS pick for Simmons ?.

I'd want to wait for the season to start before assuming we look like a playoff team, but either way I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Problem is that you have to add Clarke and Philly is still probably going to say no.


Philly are getting Harden in the deal, Rockets would have to say no to 3 picks & Clarke. I take it that 21 pick would have to be unprotected ?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:The Utah pick just took a hit, Gobert extended.

If Minnesota hand GS a top 5-10 pick in 21, the GS 24 pick will take another hit, after landing Wiseman. They will have started retooling far sooner than expected.

With the Grizz looking like a playoff team, would you offer up the 21 pick top 4 protected, Utah pick, GS pick for Simmons ?.

I'd want to wait for the season to start before assuming we look like a playoff team, but either way I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Problem is that you have to add Clarke and Philly is still probably going to say no.


Philly are getting Harden in the deal, Rockets would have to say no to 3 picks & Clarke. I take it that 21 pick would have to be unprotected ?.

An expiring Jrue just got two unprotected 1sts and two unprotected swaps. Houston is reportedly wanting at least that plus a young All Star type which I think is fair since Harden is better and locked up for a few years. AD is younger but he brought in a significantly better haul than our offer and he wasn't locked up for nearly as long as Harden is. Also there were rumors that BKN was willing to go all in aside from Kyrie and KD. Would their package be LaVert, Dinwiddie, Allen, and pretty much every 1st and pick swap they can offer for the next half a dozen years? If so then I think that beats our offer. I could also see Miami throwing their hat into the ring with Giannis locked up. Herro would headline their deal and I imagine Houston would prefer him to Clarke. Miami could also offer two firsts and some pick swaps plus potentially Robinson (there was a report that Robinson was a sticking point). GSW could offer Wiseman and the 2021 MIN pick. Denver could sneak in with a bunch of picks and swaps plus MPJ. I just think that our offer could be beat unless Philly adds picks to Houston and even then I could see more being asked of us.

Atlanta also could make a play for Simmons. They have a lot of assets in Cam, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, OO, Capela, and picks, not to mention the vets they signed once they are eligible. They may outbid our offer themselves and they are more desperate than us to start winning now. OKC and especially NOP also may open up their war chests for Simmons if he was available.

I just think that if Simmons is involved in the deal that Houston will want to keep him. A third team being involved would be more for turning any older vets used as salary filler into younger players/assets. I could also maybe see them turning a young player on the last year of his rookie contract into a different asset if they were worried about overpaying that player in RFA (John Collins, Duncan Robinson, Jarrett Allen, etc.).
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,328
And1: 2,915
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#17 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:50 pm

VCfor3 wrote: An expiring Jrue just got two unprotected 1sts and two unprotected swaps. Houston is reportedly wanting at least that plus a young All Star type which I think is fair since Harden is better and locked up for a few years.


A little context, those 2 unprotected firsts & unprotected rights to swap are from the Bucks who just signed Giannis to the max & have now added one of the best 2 way guards in the league. That pick package basically amounts to 2 late firsts outside of freak luck. Even if Bucks were to lose Giannis to injury that team with Middleton & Jrue, is still playoff worthy in the East.

No comparison.

The Utah pick may be late lotto with Gobert resigning but the GS pick has lotto potential & if the Grizz offer up a unprotected 21 pick, which I think should be protected, it would be 1 unprotected projected lotto pick, one slightly projected lotto picks & one late projected pick to 2 projected late picks as Bucks won't be worse than NO's over the next several years that Giannis just signed for outside of stated freak luck.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote: An expiring Jrue just got two unprotected 1sts and two unprotected swaps. Houston is reportedly wanting at least that plus a young All Star type which I think is fair since Harden is better and locked up for a few years.


A little context, those 2 unprotected firsts & unprotected rights to swap are from the Bucks who just signed Giannis to the max & have now added one of the best 2 way guards in the league. That pick package basically amounts to 2 late firsts outside of freak luck. Even if Bucks were to lose Giannis to injury that team with Middleton & Jrue, is still playoff worthy in the East.

No comparison.

The Utah pick may be late lotto with Gobert resigning but the GS pick has lotto potential & if the Grizz offer up a unprotected 21 pick, which I think should be protected, it would be 1 unprotected projected lotto pick, one slightly projected lotto picks & one late projected pick to 2 projected late picks as Bucks won't be worse than NO's over the next several years that Giannis just signed for outside of stated freak luck.

Middleton is 29 and Jrue is 30 with an injury history. The pick swaps are in 24 and 26 and the picks are in 25 and 27. Heck both players may retire during the period those picks are conveying. If Giannis leaves then I can't see how that is a playoff team for more than even half those picks. Given that they are unprotected, I think an argument could be made that the 26 and 27 options are both more valuable than the GSW pick. A similar argument could be made that all four picks could be more valuable than the UTA pick if you think Utah will be a strong regular season team the next two years. The Utah pick conveying this year or next instead of years from now help its value a lot, but a rebuilding team could reasonable say the MIL picks mean more to them.

I think we can both agree that the Jrue trade was a gross overpay and should be a terrible example to use when establishing the expected return for Harden, but that is reportedly what Houston was trying to do initially so I included it. Ultimately I think Houston will have to settle on a more reasonable valuation of Harden though it will still be a larger return than what Jrue got. (For the record I think that Clarke+the 3 1sts is better than the Jrue return)
MemphisX
Veteran
Posts: 2,541
And1: 2,442
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#19 » by MemphisX » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Whole Truth wrote:The Utah pick just took a hit, Gobert extended.

If Minnesota hand GS a top 5-10 pick in 21, the GS 24 pick will take another hit, after landing Wiseman. They will have started retooling far sooner than expected.

With the Grizz looking like a playoff team, would you offer up the 21 pick top 4 protected, Utah pick, GS pick for Simmons ?.


I love Ben Simmons and would probably not be upset about that trade but what is Ben Simmons without the ball in his hands running the show? And Ja is that guy for us. Still not sure what vet I would want to target but I prefer adding through the 2021 draft and then trading for a vet in the 2021 offseason.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,242
And1: 2,871
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#20 » by VCfor3 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:25 pm

MemphisX wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:The Utah pick just took a hit, Gobert extended.

If Minnesota hand GS a top 5-10 pick in 21, the GS 24 pick will take another hit, after landing Wiseman. They will have started retooling far sooner than expected.

With the Grizz looking like a playoff team, would you offer up the 21 pick top 4 protected, Utah pick, GS pick for Simmons ?.


I love Ben Simmons and would probably not be upset about that trade but what is Ben Simmons without the ball in his hands running the show? And Ja is that guy for us. Still not sure what vet I would want to target but I prefer adding through the 2021 draft and then trading for a vet in the 2021 offseason.

I'd prefer getting one of the 2021 studs in the draft too, but if that can't happen I wonder if Brown would be better for us. I think Simmons is probably the better player, but Brown would fit what we need better.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies