Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Re: Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski 

Post#101 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:23 am

spearsy23 wrote:My concern with getting a guy 'reps' is what you're building towards. Give a guy like Andrew Wiggins reps as a superstar and you're building a losing player when he isn't good enough to be that. Reps need to be targeted and there needs to be a plan for how to develop a guy.

I don’t think Wiggins issues are due to how he was developed in the nba. The things people criticize him for now were a problem in high school. I think it’s more on Wiggins than anyone else.

Weaknesses: The biggest issue is whether or not Wiggins has the mental make up to maximize his immense physical gifts. While some scouts are extremely high on him, there are just as many that question his focus and passion for the game …

Sam and Daigneult have both emphasized not rushing the process a skipping steps. They have a plan in place. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#102 » by jambalaya » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:00 am

I have called him Poku but I dont really like it.

An alternative would be built on his first name. AK-17. Aleksej 17. Drawing on Kirilenko. Or AKsay. Drawing on that and OKC. AK-47 might be the right role model or close enough.

Or if you don't like those, here are some other alternatives (decent & silly):

Big APS (APS pronounced like apps or kinda like ups)

Applesauce. Juice.

Sevy. AK-Sevy.

Apu. Appalossa.

Apocalypse. Apocalypse Now. Apocalypse Wow. Apocalypseveski.

Wheels.

Long Rifle

PK

Kid Sevski

Al Poker. Pokerface. The Poker. Pokinator. Pokinatu.

PokSamishski

All POKUN Day

P KUN Cook. Pecan.

POK. Mr. Pok. Pokashot.

Poksevenstein

1Sevy. 1 Seveski.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#103 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:24 am

He call his himself Poku on his Twitter. Pecan would be a nice alternative.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#104 » by spearsy23 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:53 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:My concern with getting a guy 'reps' is what you're building towards. Give a guy like Andrew Wiggins reps as a superstar and you're building a losing player when he isn't good enough to be that. Reps need to be targeted and there needs to be a plan for how to develop a guy.

I don’t think Wiggins issues are due to how he was developed in the nba. The things people criticize him for now were a problem in high school. I think it’s more on Wiggins than anyone else.

Weaknesses: The biggest issue is whether or not Wiggins has the mental make up to maximize his immense physical gifts. While some scouts are extremely high on him, there are just as many that question his focus and passion for the game …

Sam and Daigneult have both emphasized not rushing the process a skipping steps. They have a plan in place. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

Blaming the player for not being as good as you want him to be is too simplistic. The Timberwolves failed to provide the structure and discipline required to turn andrew wiggins into a guy who impacts winning. If a guy does not have the mental makeup to give him a green light then you shouldn't give him the green light. Develop him. Make him play defense. Put him in a system.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
mr570
Senior
And1: 293

Post#105 » by mr570 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:50 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Blaming the player for not being as good as you want him to be is too simplistic. The Timberwolves failed to provide the structure and discipline required to turn andrew wiggins into a guy who impacts winning. If a guy does not have the mental makeup to give him a green light then you shouldn't give him the green light. Develop him. Make him play defense. Put him in a system.

Exactly. Which is why you see them draft Anthony Edwards and think "Oh boy... here we go again!"
mr570
Senior
And1: 293

Post#106 » by mr570 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Also... it's Poku. C'mon guys. You'll learn to love it :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:39 pm

Spoiler:
quote="spearsy23"]
ThunderBolt wrote:

Blaming the player for not being as good as you want him to be is too simplistic. The Timberwolves failed to provide the structure and discipline required to turn andrew wiggins into a guy who impacts winning. If a guy does not have the mental makeup to give him a green light then you shouldn't give him the green light. Develop him. Make him play defense. Put him in a system.[/quote]

I don't think its too simplistic with Wiggins case. He's had the same concerns since HS. He played for a well run college program and now plays for the warriors. He just the same guy no matter what.

Without derailing it into a Wiggins discussion, I think the Thunder have proven they are a significant step up from the Timberwolves. There do appear to be a lot of unknowns right now with Daigneult and our new euro-fetish. Are we going to turn shai in to a one man show and Poku into a guy that's parked on the perimeter like Ferguson? That's probably not ideal.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#108 » by jambalaya » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:01 am

The best of my nickname ideas are:

Sevy
Mr. Pok
The Pokinator
Pokashot
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#109 » by jake_swivel » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:11 am

Nickname: the machinist
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,616

Post#110 » by Clav » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:49 pm

The Painter
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Pokumon
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#111 » by Pokumon » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:53 am

Pokuchu.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Post#112 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:28 am

Whatever his nickname, kid is going to be a player. Lots to like about him. Seems to do a bit of everything. Really looking forward to watching his career develop over the next 5 years or so.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:59 pm

I think stuff like this does give glimpses of potential.

Read on Twitter
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#114 » by spearsy23 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Maybe toni kukoc is a possible comp?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#115 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:25 pm

jake_swivel wrote:Nickname: the machinist
That's a deep cut right there.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#116 » by spearsy23 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Old Man Game wrote:

I feel like it's gained notoriety because of what bale put himself through for it.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#117 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:13 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

I feel like it's gained notoriety because of what bale put himself through for it.
I've never actually seen it. I know it only by the stories of his weight loss.

spearsy23
RealGM

Post#118 » by spearsy23 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:That's a deep cut right there.

I've never actually seen it. I know it only by the stories of his weight loss.

It's worth a watch. Not life changing, but decent.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#119 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:50 am

Maybe toni kukoc is a possible comp?

To me, thats the ceiling.

Floor - Nikoloz Tskitishvili
Mean - Keith Van Horn
Ceiling - Toni Kukoc

KVH has better raw career numbers than Toni, but everyone who watched both knows whos better. And the advanced stats skew heavily into Toni's favor.

His handle and fluidity is very similar to Toni. You expect fluid 7 footers to be 'jump out the gym' athletes, but its not always like that and Toni is one of those examples.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:11 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder