Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#841 » by James Gatz » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:38 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
James Gatz wrote:
vorbis wrote:I am very in favor of encouraging LaMelo to shoot his way through his weird floater problem. that shot has been money for him in the past, and I think he can shape it into an actual weapon.

his overall instincts are pretty solid, especially on offense obviously, and as a young player I want him to keep his aggressiveness and envelope-pushing tendencies while he learns more about the best situations and times to try certain things.

His floater has looked really bad in the preseason but I agree with vorbis. In the NBL he shot that same deep floater 2-3 times a game and hit it around 45% of the time. Having that in between shot is a tool he really needs. That being said, if that NBL sample was an aberration he should cut it out of his diet by mid season.

Is that an anecdotal 45% on 2-3 attempts or do you have some statistical evidence of it being anything other than a bad shot

Nate Duncan has mentioned multiple times he shot 45% on floaters in NBL on a couple attempts a game. I don't have synergy but if someone did they could look up the exact number. It's certainly not anecdotal. I wouldn't assign an actual number if it was an eye test thing.

I understand the apprehension at that number based on how ugly they have looked in preseason tho.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#842 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:50 pm

https://ziller.substack.com/p/lamelo-j-will-and-stealing-joy

Great point of view here

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#843 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#844 » by BigSlam » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:44 pm

fatlever wrote:https://ziller.substack.com/p/lamelo-j-will-and-stealing-joy

Great point of view here

Disagree - I think it’s a horrible point of view.

The author pointed out that while flashy and fun, it took replacing Williams with someone steady and reliable in Bibby for the Kings to start winning. I’m guessing that’s not what the Ball skeptics want to hear.

And while a flashy pass or 2 a game might make a Sportscentre top 10 every week or so, 1 out of 10 shooting can cost a team wins.

I personally love Ball’s passing, but I love winning even more and hate losing the most.

At least Brevin Knight didn’t try and force shooting to the detriment of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,462

Post#845 » by KembaWalker » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:13 pm

the real shame with his release point is that I don't think he can ever add that Livingston post turnaround to his game unless he changes that. and thats such a great tool for the kit at that size at PG, especially with that passing ability. LaMelo posting up PGs would be the closest thing to an easy double team we have on this current roster
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 671

Post#846 » by vorbis » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:37 pm

it's really not an either/or scenario with Ball's passing vs his shot. he's got plenty of time to work on his form and standardize it. there's tons of examples of players developing a decent shot after arriving in the NBA, but idk, zero? examples of players developing a generational passing sense like he has.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#847 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:54 pm

vorbis wrote:it's really not an either/or scenario with Ball's passing vs his shot. he's got plenty of time to work on his form and standardize it. there's tons of examples of players developing a decent shot after arriving in the NBA, but idk, zero? examples of players developing a generational passing sense like he has.

This
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#848 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:22 pm

BigSlam wrote:
fatlever wrote:https://ziller.substack.com/p/lamelo-j-will-and-stealing-joy

Great point of view here

Disagree - I think it’s a horrible point of view.

The author pointed out that while flashy and fun, it took replacing Williams with someone steady and reliable in Bibby for the Kings to start winning. I’m guessing that’s not what the Ball skeptics want to hear.

And while a flashy pass or 2 a game might make a Sportscentre top 10 every week or so, 1 out of 10 shooting can cost a team wins.

I personally love Ball’s passing, but I love winning even more and hate losing the most.

At least Brevin Knight didn’t try and force shooting to the detriment of the team.

I think that article was clearly aimed at casual NBA fans, not hardcore Charlotte Hornets fans. Obviously we are not going to be okay with lamelo just being a flashy passer and terrible at everything else.

That article was telling people on Twitter that it's okay to appreciate an awesome lamelo highlight without having to downplay the highlight by pointing out all of his flaws.

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#849 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:25 pm

Hardcore Hornets fans like us are the exception. For example, I didn't enjoy that lamelo pass at all when he made it during the game because I was already so disgusted with him from the first 45 minutes of the game that I was completely numb by the time he threw that pass. Let's be clear, he was **** atrocious in that last game.

CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#850 » by CatgutStitches » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Personally, I watch sports to be entertained, and he's nothing if not entertaining. As long as we are competitive every night I'm good, expecting a championship is just going to lead to disappointment and negativity

Put for sure some people are being real hard on a 19 year old that recently grew like a foot. That low release point on wonky form is due to him jacking up half court shots when he was a kid and had no business doing that... He seems to want to do the work so I'm not terribly worried about it, but he's just so fun to watch play... I'm actually more looking forward to our bench lineup with Ball-Monk-Martin-Miles than I am our starters, just because they will be so entertaining!

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#851 » by MugzZo » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
vorbis wrote:it's really not an either/or scenario with Ball's passing vs his shot. he's got plenty of time to work on his form and standardize it. there's tons of examples of players developing a decent shot after arriving in the NBA, but idk, zero? examples of players developing a generational passing sense like he has.

This
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#852 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:12 pm

CatgutStitches wrote:Personally, I watch sports to be entertained, and he's nothing if not entertaining. As long as we are competitive every night I'm good, expecting a championship is just going to lead to disappointment and negativity

Put for sure some people are being real hard on a 19 year old that recently grew like a foot. That low release point on wonky form is due to him jacking up half court shots when he was a kid and had no business doing that... He seems to want to do the work so I'm not terribly worried about it, but he's just so fun to watch play... I'm actually more looking forward to our bench lineup with Ball-Monk-Martin-Miles than I am our starters, just because they will be so entertaining!

Had to feel good for Monk to catch that crisp bounce pass that hit his hands like a sniper bullet perfectly in stride while running the break with Ball. For premiere athletes like Miles and Monk, Ball could add 2-4 points to their scoring averages. They will love playing with him so at minimum, Ball can have the impact of pressuring a defense like a starting lineup if surrounded by the right pieces on the bench. McDaniels and Carey Jr. are wild cards there.

I have LaMelo as the bench general for 2 more years, assuming we lock up Devonte' and keep Rozier through his current contract.
It has been written...
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#853 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:51 am

LaMelo will start next year at the very latest. Sooner if there is a pre-deadline trade, injury, or someone in the starting lineup really struggles.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#854 » by Benjamin Linus » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:06 am

Random thought it sucks not having the All Star events this year. Would've been cool to see LaMelo doing a bunch of crazy stuff in the Rookie-Sophomore game
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#855 » by Rich4114 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:06 am

I get the temptation to compare LaMelo to Jason Williams because of his ability to make such insane passes on the fly. There’s not many you can really compare that ability to. But everything else is a bad take and a cherry pick from his third NBA game ever during a pandemic in the preseason (in late December). LaMelo is also 19, not strong yet and is six foot freaking seven while J-Will was about the size of Kemba Walker. LaMelo will at the very least provide rebounding that is impactful for his position. It’ll be ugly this season and maybe next. We all expect that but once he’s had time to develop it’s looking like he can be special.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#856 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:16 am

I agree we took him with a 2-year timeline in mind that aligns perfectly with Rozier. Rozier is going nowhere. It was a solid contract. Dude hit 41% from three and picked up right where he left off, hitting 54.5% during preseason.
It has been written...
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#857 » by amcoolio » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:20 am

I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#858 » by amcoolio » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:22 am

"I've been talking to him about shot seleciton, he needs to understand that"
"He's got to understand defensive coverages"
"He's got to value both ends of the floor"
"He hasn't been perfect, I'm asking for growth, and I've seen growth out of him"
"This kid...he's about learning and getting better every day"
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#859 » by BigSlam » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:52 am

Picking it up from a comment I made in the GT the other night:

One of the things about the prospect of drafting LaMelo that really bothered me was his defensive shortcomings. I watched his NBL games and he didn’t really look engaged on D, cheated far too much (without positive results like generating steals and often leaving his man unguarded) and his lack of strength worked significantly against him when defending.

I have to say, I’ve been really pleasantly surprised and impressed by his defence in the 4 preseason games.

I was talking with Fats tonight and I said when it comes to playing effective D it usually comes down to 2 key things: Skill and will.

A player can be a really skillful defender or have all the physical tools to be an excellent defender but if they don’t have the will to play defence then all the skill they possess doesn’t matter.

Likewise, a player who might not have all the skills to be an effective defender but at the very least is willing to play D gives coaches something to work with and build up.

I’ve been blown away at LaMelo’s willingness to play D. Off ball his head is always on a swivel - checking his assignment and whipping his head back to the ball handler then constantly toggling between the two. He seems super engaged.

On ball he gets low and in a good defensive stance, quickly moving his feet and not just being lazy and settling with using his length to defend.

He still cheats on D occasionally - but that’s a part of the skill element, which he needs to work on and I really feel like he will.

He is still physically weak but maybe after a couple of years on an NBA weight/muscle gain program he can bulk up.

But the fact the willingness to play D is already there is super, super promising that in a few years and some skill refinement he can become a plus defender IMO.

It’s been a really welcomed surprise for me.

B B M F 'ers
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#860 » by CatgutStitches » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:54 am

Does anyone know when the new jerseys are going to be for sale? At this point out of my 5 hornets jerseys noone is on the team anymore... The only one I have is a zeller bobcats jersey...

I think it's past time to get a new one

Return to Charlotte Hornets