Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#1161 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:43 pm

closg00 wrote:
TGW wrote:Kuzma got 3 years, 40 mil. That's closer to what I thought Bertans deserved. But it's the Wizards...

My exact thought, the low self-esteem of the Wizards FO causes them to do these kind of signings, picking-up where Ernie left-off...
I wanted The Laser back though, the issue is the 5-year deal.

I don't have a problem with Bertans' contract. Only 69 of the 80 mil is guaranteed. Put it this way; I think there would be a lot more teams interested in trading for Bertans - with his new contract than there'd be for Kuzma - and his new contract. Look at Kuzma's stats last season - they're much worse than Bertans'.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1162 » by pcbothwel » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
closg00 wrote:
TGW wrote:Kuzma got 3 years, 40 mil. That's closer to what I thought Bertans deserved. But it's the Wizards...

My exact thought, the low self-esteem of the Wizards FO causes them to do these kind of signings, picking-up where Ernie left-off...
I wanted The Laser back though, the issue is the 5-year deal.

I don't have a problem with Bertans' contract. Only 69 of the 80 mil is guaranteed. Put it this way; I think there would be a lot more teams interested in trading for Bertans - with his new contract than there'd be for Kuzma - and his new contract. Look at Kuzma's stats last season - they're much worse than Bertans'.

I dont even care about the partial guarantee in the last year. He is due to make 16M as a 31 y/o when the cap will be ~124M...
That's basically what a 34 y/o Rudy Gay makes. Or a 31 y/o Marcus Morris makes this year and he has 3 more year after this.

Unless he blows out his ACL the year before, I see no reason to try and get out of that deal.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1163 » by Kanyewest » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:37 pm

TGW wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Bertans has significantly more value than Kuz. Only reason we talk about a guy like Kuz so much is because he's with the Lakers.

Eh I'm not so sure. Both are bench gunners that play no defense. Yes Bertans is better, but he's not 40 million better. No way.

The difference in their contracts is 3 million per season. Plus there is an opt out where Kuzma can earn more.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1164 » by gambitx777 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 pm

I get that point though hut I would rather burn a spot on him than gill or lopez imo! Honestly I'd replace robinson with RHJ right now. But that won't happen.
Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Not only that, RHJ's a pretty good ball-handler and passer with a 7'2 wingspan, has the strength to play some PF and the quickness to play the 3. He'll find an NBA job and will likely do well, imo.

Your sacrificing as much if not more offense than the defensive contributions he can provide. Its like 4 vs 5 on the offensive end everytime he's out there.

I realize he's not going to be an all-star, but he's still worth a roster spot - not saying with the Wizards but somewhere in the NBA.

Remember who was all in on MKG. And frankly, RHJ's a better ball-handler and passer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1165 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:09 am

Dat2U wrote:

Bertans has significantly more value than Kuz. Only reason we talk about a guy like Kuz so much is because he's with the Lakers.

In fact, that's an incredible over-pay for Kuzma. He isn't good at all.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#1166 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:26 pm

This Harden news is hilarious. He threw a basketball at a rookie in practice???

Does everyone now realize that the problem in Houston was not Westbrook?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1167 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:42 pm

NatP4 wrote:This Harden news is hilarious. He threw a basketball at a rookie in practice???

Harden's trade value is probably going down. It'll be interesting to see how low it ends up going. Teams that publicly talk up the importance of team culture might drop out of the running.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1168 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:This Harden news is hilarious. He threw a basketball at a rookie in practice???

Harden's trade value is probably going down. It'll be interesting to see how low it ends up going. Teams that publicly talk up the importance of team culture might drop out of the running.

I wouldn’t want any part of that. He’s a great talent, obviously, but he is totally embarrassing himself with this behavior. I would absolutely despise the guy if I am a Houston rocket right now. The media availability stuff, the social media posts, it’s all insulting for those guys Im sure.

That being said, if I’m Houston, I would just sit on it. Make him stay and play. The guy is 31 years old this year. Make him waste another one of his final few prime years. If he wants out, he can make things right publicly, play hard, and recapture some of that trade value.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1169 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Apparently Kemba Walker is nowehere close to back. Wont start to ramp up his rehab until January. If Kemba never returns to his normal self, where does that change the rankings/dynamic in the eastern conference?

No Hayward or Walker is tough to overcome.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#1170 » by J-Ves » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Recent extensions:
OG Anunoby- 4 year, $72M
Jonathan Isaac- 4 year, $80M
Derrick White- 4 year, $73M

Overpays? Underpays? How do you think they compare to Bertans 5 year, $80M deal?

I’ll admit I haven’t followed the NBA that much in recent years and I had never heard of White before. Looking him up he seems like a defensive ace PG who fits the Spurs identity very well. Not sure if he’s worth 18M a year though.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1171 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:22 pm

J-Ves wrote:Recent extensions:
OG Anunoby- 4 year, $72M
Jonathan Isaac- 4 year, $80M
Derrick White- 4 year, $73M

Overpays? Underpays? How do you think they compare to Bertans 5 year, $80M deal?

I’ll admit I haven’t followed the NBA that much in recent years and I had never heard of White before. Looking him up he seems like a defensive ace PG who fits the Spurs identity very well. Not sure if he’s worth 18M a year though.

You nailed it on White. He was a real bargain as a late 1st rounder on his rookie contract, but now he's getting paid over his worth. I like the way he plays - good all-around player - can play either guard, but I think he's worth about 12 mil a year - off the top of my head. I'd compare him to Doron Wright - maybe a tiny bit better.
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#1172 » by wall_glizzy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:29 pm

I think you guys are underrating White - he's had a couple injuries that have limited his ability to put together a great season end-to-end, but he's a lot better on offense than you're giving him credit for. Check out his numbers from the bubble or in the 2018-2019 playoffs against the Nuggets. If they can stay on the court, ~$32 million combined for White and Dejounte Murray is probably the best bang for the buck of any backcourt in the league.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1173 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:45 pm

wall_glizzy wrote:I think you guys are underrating White - he's had a couple injuries that have limited his ability to put together a great season end-to-end, but he's a lot better on offense than you're giving him credit for. Check out his numbers from the bubble or in the 2018-2019 playoffs against the Nuggets. If they can stay on the court, ~$32 million combined for White and Dejounte Murray is probably the best bang for the buck of any backcourt in the league.

The sample sizes are too small. I think both of them are good - with Murry having the higher ceiling and lower floor - just not better than good.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1174 » by gambitx777 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:53 pm

James harden is becoming a bigger issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1175 » by miller31time » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:56 pm

I’ll just never understand NBA contracts. The cap hasn’t gone up that much over the years. How are absolutely mediocre players that don’t highly affect team performance getting 20mil per year?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#1176 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:22 pm

miller31time wrote:I’ll just never understand NBA contracts. The cap hasn’t gone up that much over the years. How are absolutely mediocre players that don’t highly affect team performance getting 20mil per year?

I think part of it is that there are very few really bad legacy contracts dragging teams down. There aren't many Ian Mahinmi/Allen Crabbe/Bismack Biyombo/Timofey Mosgov tier contracts out there. Now, the bad contracts belong to guys that are at least playable in crunch time, guys like Tobias Harris, Harrison Barnes and Andre Drummond.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1177 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 pm

miller31time wrote:I’ll just never understand NBA contracts. The cap hasn’t gone up that much over the years. How are absolutely mediocre players that don’t highly affect team performance getting 20mil per year?

Well Jonathan Isaac is one of the most promising young players in the NBA. He plays elite defense, can guard 1-4, rebound, get steals and blocks, and score and shoot 3s with decent efficiency. He’s also only 22 and is one of the highest character players in the league.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1178 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:09 pm

The cap kinda has gone up that much. Back when the MLE was ~$5 mil? A guy making $10 mil wasn't a backbreaker or anything. It was a steep contract but good players got paid. Now the MLE is ~$10 mil. That's the equivalent contract.

As for White, he's really good. He's not a bargain at that amount but he's worth it. His only issue is staying healthy. He can shoot, scores efficiently, plays defense and is a generally solid team guy. He fit in relatively well on Team USA. Honestly, he's better than Murray but the Spurs have him in the Ginobili role.

Sent from my SM-G970W using RealGM mobile app
Bucket! Bucket!
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1179 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:12 pm

There he goes... NETS

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM