bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,355

Re: Cam Payne news and highlights 

Post#41 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:25 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Derrick White just signed a 4yr 73m extension.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, I guess I was looking at current salaries. That seems like a bit much for him.
I thought so too and I generally like White as a player.

You have to set rookie scale contracts aside when doing price comps for a pending FA because they are always going to look bargains for rotation guys. If you remove those and the ring chasers that gives a much cleaner look at the market and the market for a solid backup is right around or just below the MLE.

Yeah, I didn't realize that was his rookie deal. TJ McConnell the better example. However, I think there are only maybe 7 or so that make near, at, or above the MLE, and many of those are on teams that have PGs on rookie deals, like in Sacramento, or when Dallas signed Wright,or Memphis.

I think there are only 40 or so who make more than $6-7 million and probably a fourth of those are on rookie deals and another handful on rookie deals just below that.

I wouldn't expect much or any more than Carter's deal IF he plays really well. If he plays great, maybe $5 million, but we are already at $127 million too. Luxury tax kicks in at a little over $132 million, at least this year, but I think you said the cap is staying flat.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#42 » by MathiasPW » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Any chance we can get the Obama "Yes We Can(m)" pick with Cam Payne on it instead?

Kerrsed?

Pretty please?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#43 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#44 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:13 pm

Cam Payne has been impressively consistent.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#45 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 am

Read on Twitter

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,632

Post#46 » by Qwigglez » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:21 am

Looks like we got Chris Paul's replacement right here guys. 8-)
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#47 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:35 am

Monte Morris got $27m over 3, if Payne keeps it up could be similar.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,910

Post#48 » by Fo-Real » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:46 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Amazing.... I saw that during the game and got madder at Ayton.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,794

Post#49 » by Saberestar » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:40 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Monte Morris got $27m over 3, if Payne keeps it up could be similar.

I was thinking about $12M over three years a few days ago, but IF Payne continues playing as well as he has been playing in these first four games of the season I can really see him getting a contract like that.

Sooner or later his shooting's percentages will fall a bit and I think that he will give an small home discount to stay, so all in all I think that he will be back next season on a fair contract.

For now I will enjoy his game this season. He is really fun to watch because of his creativity, energy and quickness. Some Barbosa vibes in him. And defensively he has been surprisingly good. Well, not only good...GREAT.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:52 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Monte Morris got $27m over 3, if Payne keeps it up could be similar.

It will be interesting to see if he has other interest. I think he'd want to stay with the Suns, even for less money. I don't think we'd go into the luxury tax to keep him though, and I think we will be only about $5 million under going into next year.

It's too bad we gave Carter almost $4 million a year. A lot more than I expected. I don't think he's worth much more than the minimum.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#51 » by bigfoot » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:23 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

It will be interesting to see if he has other interest. I think he'd want to stay with the Suns, even for less money. I don't think we'd go into the luxury tax to keep him though, and I think we will be only about $5 million under going into next year.

It's too bad we gave Carter almost $4 million a year. A lot more than I expected. I don't think he's worth much more than the minimum.

Sarver should understand the importance of quality point guards. He needs to be able to go into the luxury tax to keep Payne if his trajectory continues. It's that simple.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#52 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:30 pm

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Sarver should understand the importance of quality point guards. He needs to be able to go into the luxury tax to keep Payne if his trajectory continues. It's that simple.

If he has a market that high. But if no one is offering more than $4-5 million or less, we should just match the market. We don't seem to be in to overpaying people any more, except maybe Carter. He may have a market, but lots of pgs in the league right now and a pretty strong class coming in next year.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#53 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:02 pm

If we're a really good team and want to maintain we could maybe offer Chris Paul $30m and $30m instead of his $44m player option and use part of that $14m savings on Payne.

All still a long way out of course, after 7 games last year we were talking about extending Baynes by over $10m.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#54 » by Saberestar » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Jevon Carter is on a good contract. He adds a lot to this team.

We are terrific on defense and one of the reasons is Carter. He puts so much pressure on his man and is a great team defender too.

Offensively he is not shooting well so far, but he will improve for sure. One good shooting night and his numbers will be OK again.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#55 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

If he has a market that high. But if no one is offering more than $4-5 million or less, we should just match the market. We don't seem to be in to overpaying people any more, except maybe Carter. He may have a market, but lots of pgs in the league right now and a pretty strong class coming in next year.
We have a long time to figure out if and what Cam is worth paying next summer. Lot can happen in that time.

Carter isn't overpaid, $4mil is going rate for a borderline rotation guy.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

We have a long time to figure out if and what Cam is worth paying next summer. Lot can happen in that time.

I think the minimum is more like the going rate for rotation guys. I think it's best to have your max guys, rookie contracts, and minimum contracts if possible. Maybe 1 role player decent contract...2 at most. $4 million isn't THAT much...just seems like a lot for more of a 3rd string small combo guard that can only guard 1 position and can't create.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#57 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think the minimum is more like the going rate for rotation guys. I think it's best to have your max guys, rookie contracts, and minimum contracts if possible. Maybe 1 role player decent contract...2 at most. $4 million isn't THAT much...just seems like a lot for more of a 3rd string small combo guard that can only guard 1 position and can't create.
**** there are plenty of worse players making more. I really do think Carter brings a lot from a leadership and culture standpoint.

I love his reaction here from the bench on Aytons block

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#58 » by Saberestar » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:59 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

He is not a third string, he is Booker's backup. He plays every game and every half.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:02 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:We have a long time to figure out if and what Cam is worth paying next summer. Lot can happen in that time.

**** there are plenty of worse players making more. I really do think Carter brings a lot from a leadership and culture standpoint.

I love his reaction here from the bench on Aytons block

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Yeah, a lot of bad contracts are handed out. The pay isn't too bad, though I think I would have only done like 2/$7
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:04 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:We have a long time to figure out if and what Cam is worth paying next summer. Lot can happen in that time.

He is not a third string, he is Booker's backup. He plays every game and every half.

Sure, but I don't know that he is a capable backup 2 in a playoff type atmosphere. Though we have those on our roster. I do like his energy though as it's probably contagious.

Return to Phoenix Suns