ImageImage

2020 Rookie Watch Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,504

Re: 2020 Rookie Watch Thread 

Post#21 » by HornetJail » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:09 pm

We're probably going to have to add Wiseman to the already long list of great players we missed out on by a single draft spot and had to settle for someone way worse. I always liked his chances at being a really good starter/all-star.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,062

Post#22 » by JMAC3 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:20 pm

Everyone freaking out a bit about Wiseman... he has played well but his first two games Warriors were getting blown out (65 points). Last night he was pretty meh and they won on a last second three.

My whole point on passing on him was does he affect winning and make a team significantly better. Would I take Wiseman on the Hornets right now? Yes. But at Expense of Lamelo? No way.

Having an elite Big to me is like having an Elite Tightend in football. It’s great but if you don’t have the QB (Lamelo) to get them the ball then they aren’t super effective.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#23 » by James Gatz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:03 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
James Gatz wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Wiseman has shot well, but he's been horrendous on D. Got a long way to go

Only 3 rebound tonight. No one wanted to listen when I said he wouldn't be anything more than an average rebounder. My sig bet with LofJ is looking good.

Odd that you waited until after his first two to post that

Isn't his per36 like 9 rebounds? Three games and all but that's fairly solid for a rookie, no?

Yeah, he's put up solid box score stat lines through three games. It's really too early to tell. I was half shouting scoreboard after the posts from his hot first two games. He won't be shooting 83% from 3 for the season. He also hopefully won't be shooting 38% from 2.

His D has looked bad so far but it's three games and he's a rookie without a training camp. Shooting has been a nice surprise if he can keep it up. 8.5 reb per 36 is pretty mediocre. For context that's about what Kelly O, Taj Gibson, Josh Hart, Rudy Gay all averaged last year.

I'm still not high on him as a prospect, but excited to watch more!
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#24 » by Braggins » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:37 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Anthony Edwards had 15 pts on 6/21 of shooting including 1/9 from three.

They got blown out so it was a good game for him to experiment, but ugly.

Hes looked good when being aggressive in getting into the lane or creating open mid range looks, but he has been too quick to launch contested 3s. I think KAT being out and them being desperate for offense made it even worse in that last game.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#25 » by JMAC3 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Killian Hayes probably played his best game of the year putting up 10 pts, 8 assists in 29 mins in a loss to the Hawks last night. was 4/12 shooting so not great but easily the most aggressive he has been.

Side note: Brooklyn really rested KD and Kyrie last night off back to back and they lost to a Morant-less Grizzlies... smh

Poku had another bagel last night with 0 points in 14 mins, 0/2 from field.

RJ Hampton logged 4 mins in a blowout by Denver.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#26 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:23 pm

OKC should be fined $100k every time they play Poku. Just blatant tanking.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,504

Post#27 » by HornetJail » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:58 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:OKC should be fined $100k every time they play Poku. Just blatant tanking.

he is about 10 years away from 10 years away
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Braggins
RealGM

Post#28 » by Braggins » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:42 am

Don't get me wrong, Wiseman is still raw as hell, but some of the plays he pulls off are just eye popping.

https://streamable.com/jv75e1
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#29 » by JMAC3 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:54 am

I have league pass and that play by Wiseman was nice, he got off to a fast start but then was in foul trouble all night. Stewart was giving him issues on the glass most of the night when they were matched up.

He did have a few nice blocks, but he needs to get a lot stronger. He missed a bunch of shots inside early because he was getting pushed around.
Big Board
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#30 » by Snidely FC » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Tyrese Haliburton scored eight of his 13 points in the fourth quarter as the Sacramento Kings pulled away to beat Denver 125-115 on Tuesday, spoiling a record-setting night for Nuggets big man Nikola Jokic.

The 12th pick in this year’s draft, Haliburton made several sleek plays and gave the Kings a needed lift down the stretch. Sacramento’s rookie guard hit two of his three 3-pointers in the final 9½ minutes and added a steal and fast-break layup during an 11-0 run that put the Kings ahead 120-108.

“Tyrese continues to impress,” Kings coach Luke Walton said. “He hit some big shots. He had some big-time playmaking for us. He was a plus-20 on the night. He’s one of those players, you feel confident when the ball’s in his hand.”

Haliburton played the entire fourth quarter, when he also had five of his six assists.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#31 » by Snidely FC » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:35 pm

btw I think Wiseman is super talented but I also think he has the easiest team fit and therefore the easiest road to rookie of the year (compared to, say, Lamelo, who has to compete for minutes w Rozier and Graham)
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#32 » by MPM » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
Tyrese Haliburton scored eight of his 13 points in the fourth quarter as the Sacramento Kings pulled away to beat Denver 125-115 on Tuesday, spoiling a record-setting night for Nuggets big man Nikola Jokic.

The 12th pick in this year’s draft, Haliburton made several sleek plays and gave the Kings a needed lift down the stretch. Sacramento’s rookie guard hit two of his three 3-pointers in the final 9½ minutes and added a steal and fast-break layup during an 11-0 run that put the Kings ahead 120-108.

“Tyrese continues to impress,” Kings coach Luke Walton said. “He hit some big shots. He had some big-time playmaking for us. He was a plus-20 on the night. He’s one of those players, you feel confident when the ball’s in his hand.”

Haliburton played the entire fourth quarter, when he also had five of his six assists.

Yeah - how he dropped is a mystery to me. Although I completely get why we took LaMelo and can only hope for great things, still had Haliburton (and OO) ranked ahead of him. Always a year or two before we can 'what if?' a draft, but Haliburton is showing flashes of what I thought he would be and Kings fans (of course) seem very bullish on his positive impact on the game whenever he's on the court.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#33 » by JMAC3 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:05 pm

MPM wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:

Yeah - how he dropped is a mystery to me. Although I completely get why we took LaMelo and can only hope for great things, still had Haliburton (and OO) ranked ahead of him. Always a year or two before we can 'what if?' a draft, but Haliburton is showing flashes of what I thought he would be and Kings fans (of course) seem very bullish on his positive impact on the game whenever he's on the court.

I know we haven't had basketball for 9 months essentially, but we have to remember that you do not draft a guy for his production in his first 10 NBA games. I am not surprised Haliburton is making a big impact early, he played two seasons of Power 5 college basketball and has the defensive tools to get on the court early. Same with Payton Pritchard for Boston, who was a 4 year college player and is now making an early impact, but ultimately that doesn't change how I view his ceiling.

One guy I have been impressed with is Patrick Williams- he is the guy I feel like I missed the most on. Just because I can see the tools he has now and if he develops he could be a two way wing- which holds tremendous value in this league.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#34 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Really good Twitter follow.

Basically LaMelo and Halliburton are tied for biggest impact.

Lamelo leads for defensive points saved among rookies and second for offensive points added.
Big Board
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#35 » by MPM » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:56 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Really good Twitter follow.

Basically LaMelo and Halliburton are tied for biggest impact.

Lamelo leads for defensive points saved among rookies and second for offensive points added.

Poor Killian. Looks kinda lonely down there in the SW quadrant.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#36 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:58 pm

So far, I am pretty darn happy with our number 3 pick. Not sure you could call him “way worse” then anybody picked before or after him. He may well end up the best of bunch too. Clean up the shot and gain 15 pounds of muscle as he grows from a teenage boy into man over the next 2 years and I think we may a very nice piece to build around.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#37 » by Braggins » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:22 am

LaMelo and Wiseman look like the top prizes from this draft to me so far with Edwards, Patrick Williams, Haliburton, and Avdija.

LaMelo has the best combo of current substance + future ceiling imo. Wiseman's numbers are good and when you watch him play his talent/ceiling is obvious, but hes still out of place a lot and super foul prone. I lean towards thinking Wiseman would go #1 in a redraft, but its close.

Edwards is close to the Wiseman/Melo tier, but is slightly below so far imo. Efficiency isnt great and he makes lots of mistakes, but the scoring talent is obvious. Williams is right there with Ant in the second tier. He'll probably never be a big time scorer, but he looks like a defensive monster who has a chance to be pretty good at offense.

Haliburton and Avidija are both playing well and look like NBA players but might be a bit lacking on the ceiling aspect compared to the other four.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,549

Post#38 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:52 pm

Someday we'll get to see what Okongwu looks like, heal up bud.
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#39 » by geraldwallace » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:12 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Someday we'll get to see what Okongwu looks like, heal up bud.

I think Okongwu will be solid
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#40 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:10 pm

Edwards set the scoring mark for rookies this season last night with 26 points on 9/21 shooting. 3/10 from deep. in 31 mins to a loss to the Blazers. He is getting more and more shots now that KAT is out.

Maxey had a really good game last night 16 points, 7/12 shooting. Did a little bit of everything in the loss to Brooklyn.

Okoro has had two decent games since coming back. Playing big mins as a starter 10 pts, 8 pts. He isn't filling up stat sheet as much as I thought he would though.

Desmond Bane is shooting it well from the outside, but I think he is destined to be a solid backup 3D guy. Maybe he turns into a floor spacing starter at some point, but I think his upside is limited.

Where is UNCNYC? His boy Tyrell Terry can't find the floor for Mavs. 2 points in 15 mins of playing time so far this year.

It is not just our rookie bigs that aren't playing Nnaji (22nd pick) isn't playing for Nuggets. They are playing small for backup center.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets