ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Jerami Grant

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#361 » by El Chivo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:09 am

Pharaoh wrote:He's 26! And it's not like he's got years and years of big minutes on his legs
El Chivo wrote:He's a very good player, but his prime doesn't fit our development timeline, so I still don't understand the move, unless we trade him for value.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

But we won't be a decent team before his contract expires.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#362 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:36 am

3 seasons is a long time.

So far he's kinda proving the narrative wrong although he still has issues offensively as expected.

Assume we land a top 5 pick next Draft and the team is young af with no Blake or Rose!

Plumlee
Sekou
Grant
2021 pick
Hayes

With Bey, Stewart, Jackson, Okafor and maybe Svi off the bench.

That team will lose a lot, land a top 7 pick in the 2022 Draft and then we could be anything!

Waited over a decade for this and all some can do is find the negative in every situation
El Chivo wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:He's 26! And it's not like he's got years and years of big minutes on his legs
El Chivo wrote:He's a very good player, but his prime doesn't fit our development timeline, so I still don't understand the move, unless we trade him for value.

El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#363 » by El Chivo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:40 am

I'm not negative and I'm on board with rebuilding through draft.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#364 » by JohnReese » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:14 pm

If he keeps putting numbers, we will be able to trade him and get something nice in exchange.

He makes a ton of sense for:
- Miami
- Nets
- Nuggets
- Pacers
- Clippers
- Mavs
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,028

Post#365 » by NYPiston » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 pm

JohnReese wrote:If he keeps putting numbers, we will be able to trade him and get something nice in exchange.

- Miami
- Nets
- Nuggets
- Pacers
- Clippers
- Mavs

They aren't trading Grant. He was brought in to be a core player for this team and, as someone who hated the contract, I've been impressed with him thus far albeit against fairly weak competition.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#366 » by mattao313 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:46 pm

Still dont like the signing he is cool doing simple stuff but him dribbling and trying to break down the defense isnt his game.
Championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#367 » by Snakebites » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:10 pm

It’s been 4 games.

Yeah yeah. I know I say that about every player. But it’s true at this stage.

Definitely better than 4 bad games, but I still feel like we shouldn’t have signed him. If he’s traded for assets I’ll gladly eat crow.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#368 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:16 pm

His offense is better than advertised, but oddly his defense is worse. Or maybe I thought he would be all-nba level defense and he is not at that level.

I'm happy with the contract. He's improved every year in the league and its likely if he takes 15-20 shots a game, he will improve a lot again this year.

In 3 years he might be a true max level player (which isnt saying much though, right).

Pistons have 2 more top 5 picks. Suggs and Chet lets say. Grant's contract ends. Pistons sign as many players as possible, then sign Grant last with his MAX contract.

Could have a pretty solid team. It would be completely locked in, but if this years pick hits (Cade, Suggs, Mobley, Green) and next year's top pick hits (Chet, ?) that could work.

I wish Josh Jackson was a 3 year deal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#369 » by Drwho17 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:08 pm

NYPiston wrote:
JohnReese wrote:If he keeps putting numbers, we will be able to trade him and get something nice in exchange.

- Miami
- Nets
- Nuggets
- Pacers
- Clippers
- Mavs

They aren't trading Grant. He was brought in to be a core player for this team and, as someone who hated the contract, I've been impressed with him thus far albeit against fairly weak competition.

Not this year, but I wouldn't doubt they look to trade him next year, I think he was signed with the idea of flipping him in the future. Jerami Grant has a game lots of contenders may think can put them over the top.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#370 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Yet in the game thread you're pretty negative about Hayes and what you've seen in those 4 games

Guess as long as we're all being negative and squash any hope around here no one can be disappointed like we have been for the last decade
Snakebites wrote:It’s been 4 games.

Definitely better than 4 bad games, but I still feel like we shouldn’t have signed him. If he’s traded for assets I’ll gladly eat crow.

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#371 » by Crymson » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Yet in the game thread you're pretty negative about Hayes and what you've seen in those 4 games

Guess as long as we're all being negative and squash any hope around here no one can be disappointed like we have been for the last

I think you should stop being so aggressive. People are permitted to have opinions that do not match your own, and I think you should consider why you find those so threatening.

Beyond that, you expressed this same sort of fervor in your support for Van Gundy. I think it's unfortunate that you're doing the same for Weaver even after seeing how that turned out. Sometimes general managers make bad decisions because they're bad at their jobs. It is entirely possible that Weaver belongs to that category. We will see, and whether or not folks here draw negative conclusions won't change what we find out.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#372 » by Snakebites » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Yet in the game thread you're pretty negative about Hayes and what you've seen in those 4 games

Guess as long as we're all being negative and squash any hope around here no one can be disappointed like we have been for the last decade
Snakebites wrote:It’s been 4 games.

Fair enough- I'll explain myself better.

There's a difference between evaluating performance and evaluating what you think the players' trajectory with the team will be. One can be evaluated fairly quickly, the other needs a broader view.

With Hayes- I dislike how he's played (how could you not?) but am still hopeful that he could still figure it out and eventually be a starter. I think what they're doing right now isn't working and he probably needs to come off the bench. He doesn't look ready in the slightest. I still believe he has the tools, but I don't think starting is the right spot for him right now. I think you can formulate that opinion after 4 games without labeling the player as a bust- and that's all I was doing in that thread.

With Grant, yeah, he's played pretty well so far. I think you can validly question whether the volume is sustainable and there's other things you can pick at, but yeah, he's been solid. My position was always that even if he plays well it still wasn't the right decision- it's additional longterm salary commitment on a guy who's game is built to complement stars, not raise the floor of a bad team. And I think despite his strong start that's still true.

I still see being able to turn him into an asset as the ONLY way to make that signing an eventual positive- and I have my reservations.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#373 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 pm

Actually, turning Grant into a player that can be flipped for assets is one of the things I do remember from the Rod Beard interview regarding Weaver’s plan.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#374 » by Malapropism » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 pm

What is your guys opinion on Grant so far? I've watched bits and pieces of Detroit games and he looks unimpressive by the eye test. Shoots a lot more than I think he's capable of.

But then I go look at his actual stats:

22.8 PPG
22 PP36 Minutes
60% TS on 22.5% usage rate.
1.3 TO/G
8.7 TOV%
20 PER

That level of scoring output with that turnover rate is all-star level. If he could up his usage rate without taking too large of a hit to his TS%, he has a case for secondary offensive option on championship contending teams. Just an example, Jaylen Brown last year was 58% TS% on 24% usage rate.

He's also been known for his defense, and though he seemed kind of uninterested from what I've seen of him this year, his block and steal numbers are still quite good, and it's possible he's just putting a lot more energy on the offensive end since he's carrying a larger load.

I don't expect him to maintain this for a season, but it is interesting that I come here and general sentiment on him so far is mixed, when the stats have him as being more than worth the deal he received. He's probably one of the bright spots of the season so far, all things considered, no?
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,523

Post#375 » by zeebneeb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:30 pm

El Chivo wrote:

Not that I don't agree with you, but quick turnarounds can, and have happened with just one great draft pick. This team has some decent pieces so it is possible.*

*likelihood is extremely low for the Pistons as we have possibly the worst owner in the NBA, and a coach stuck in 2001.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#376 » by mattao313 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:51 pm

Malapropism wrote:What is your guys opinion on Grant so far? I've watched bits and pieces of Detroit games and he looks unimpressive by the eye test. Shoots a lot more than I think he's capable of.

22.8 PPG
22 PP36 Minutes
1.3 TO/G
8.7 TOV%
20 PER

That level of scoring output with that turnover rate is all-star level. If he could up his usage rate without taking too large of a hit to his TS%, he has a case for secondary offensive option on championship contending teams. Just an example, Jaylen Brown last year was 58% TS% on 24% usage rate.

He's also been known for his defense, and though he seemed kind of uninterested from what I've seen of him this year, his block and steal numbers are still quite good, and it's possible he's just putting a lot more energy on the offensive end since he's carrying a larger load.

I don't expect him to maintain this for a season, but it is interesting that I come here and general sentiment on him so far is mixed, when the stats have him as being more than worth the deal he received. He's probably one of the bright spots of the season so far, all things considered, no?

I dont think he keeps the scoring up, he is good in transition, spot shooting, and straight line drives besides that he isnt that advanced with the ball or a playmaker
Championships
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#377 » by the_l_train » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:52 pm

From everything we've heard, Weaver and Jerami are long-time homies.

Whether it's this trade deadline or next, Detroit will still be a bottom-dweller. Jerami will eventually change his tune and want to bounce, and his boy Troy will gladly oblige...especially after his value rises after spending his whole Detroit stint stuffing box scores like he has been.

The master plan all along.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#378 » by 440BB » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:27 am

Malapropism wrote:What is your guys opinion on Grant so far? I've watched bits and pieces of Detroit games and he looks unimpressive by the eye test. Shoots a lot more than I think he's capable of.

22.8 PPG
22 PP36 Minutes
1.3 TO/G
8.7 TOV%
20 PER

On the surface I think some Pistons fans think or thought Grant was an overpay. The underlying issue is Wood not getting re-signed and taking less. That has unfortunately amplified the doubts and criticism about Grant's deal. Grant may be a better fit as a leader in changing the Pistons culture but Wood's offensive breakout was about the only exciting thing Pistons fans had seen in years, so the disappointment is understandable.

Looked at without the other issues, Grant's choosing to come to a rebuilding Pistons team for that contract seems reasonable to me. He looks like he's still improving his game while in his prime years and I think many more will come around as they see him over time.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,306

Post#379 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:53 am

edmunder_prc wrote:His offense is better than advertised, but oddly his defense is worse. Or maybe I thought he would be all-nba level defense and he is not at that level.

I wish Josh Jackson was a 3 year deal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its not a surprise his defense is worse. For Denver he didnt have to do much on offense playing with Jokic/Murray. This allows a player to dial it in on defense. Very few guys can be a top option on offense and play top-level defense. Thats why I find it funny when guys give certain guards a hard time for playing lazy defense like Harden. Very very few guys can play at that level of usage on offense and still play + defense.

Grants been a nice surprise. I wish we could trade him for stuff. I imagine hes going to be here though. As others have said hes likely Weavers boy.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#380 » by Pharaoh » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 am

How was my post aggressive?

And if you continue to believe I have blind faith in our FO despite my numerous posts to the contrary that's on you man.
Crymson wrote:

Guess as long as we're all being negative and squash any hope around here no one can be disappointed like we have been for the last

I think you should stop being so aggressive. People are permitted to have opinions that do not match your own, and I think you should consider why you find those so threatening.

Beyond that, you expressed this same sort of fervor in your support for Van Gundy. I think it's unfortunate that you're doing the same for Weaver even after seeing how that turned out. Sometimes general managers make bad decisions because they're bad at their jobs. It is entirely possible that Weaver belongs to that category. We will see, and whether or not folks here draw negative conclusions won't change what we find out.

Return to Detroit Pistons