ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle: Should we pick up his 2021-2 Team option

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Re: Julius Randle: Should we pick up his 2021-2 Team option 

Post#161 » by JBreezeNY » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:03 am

If you keep Randle what the hell was the point in drafting Obi?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Re: Julius Randle: Retain him for 4 million 

Post#162 » by dakomish23 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:12 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Randle looking good making the Obi pick look stupider by the second.

Or Maybe Thibs goes all "new age NBA no defense" and decides to roll with Randle\Obi, in which case, it's either goodbye Mitch, or bench player forever Mitch.

Then again, lots of good teams have had pretty good players come off the bench and get big minutes

Always been a fan of the 3 big man rotation but to work Obi is gonna have to be a better rim protector and a solid 3PT threat.

Assuming he can do that, now we just need a 1,2, a backup guard who can play with either guard & a very good back up wing.

Halfway there :dontknow:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#163 » by WargamesX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:16 am

JBreezeNY wrote:If you keep Randle what the hell was the point in drafting Obi?

Idk :banghead:

Honestly if we keep Randle it has to be to trade him next year.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#164 » by knickstape4ever » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:18 am

cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:the Julius breakout creates a dilemma. they can't waive him after the season (3rd year in non-GTD) w/ the way he's played but they also drafted Obi who was drafted w/ the expectation he'd be a starter sooner rather than later

I think that forces the Knicks to do 1 of 2 things:

1) trade Randle, Obi takes his starting role

2) keep Randle and Obi stays a bench player, but in doing so, they're kinda admitting they made a mistake picking Obi

Just let Obi's development guide that decision. ATM Obi looks like he could do with some time coming off the bench & learning before being thrust into the starting lineup.

I don't think it becomes a dilemma until that starts to change & Obi is playing so well that he needs to start starting to take the next step in his development. If we get to that point & Julius is still playing like an allstar; then it'll be time to gauge Magic Randle's trade value.

yeah but w/ a player like Haliburton already looking like the real deal, who filled a need at PG, and was called a perfect fit next to RJ by Mike Schmitz), it makes the Obi decision look worse

part of why Obi was drafted so high/ranked high as a prospect was due to his perceived NBA readiness. Dude's gonna be 23 pretty soon. they didn't draft him to play it slow w/ his development
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,815

Post#165 » by knicks94 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:20 am

Was Obi really drafted because the Knicks lacked talent at the power forward position? Or was he drafted simply because the Knicks saw the most potential in him?

I hate when teams draft players just because they are trying to fill voids at certain positions instead of drafting guys for their high ceiling.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#166 » by WargamesX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 am

Honestly all this “why did they draft Obi” is based on the assumption the FO thought Randle would develop into this, maintain it for weeks on end (aka weeks from now), and then decided to still draft a PF.

I don’t think they had that foresight. I think they figured he would be a better defender and slightly better offensively. I also don’t think they can even do much until we see is this version of Randle is sustainable. He looks really good, his contract isn’t crazy, and they can likely add draft and free agent talent next year as well.

If this production keeps us! There is a valid argument to keep him, and a valid argument to trade him. Let’s hope we get to that point in a few weeks
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#167 » by cgf » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:32 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:the Julius breakout creates a dilemma. they can't waive him after the season (3rd year in non-GTD) w/ the way he's played but they also drafted Obi who was drafted w/ the expectation he'd be a starter sooner rather than later

I think that forces the Knicks to do 1 of 2 things:

1) trade Randle, Obi takes his starting role

2) keep Randle and Obi stays a bench player, but in doing so, they're kinda admitting they made a mistake picking Obi

Just let Obi's development guide that decision. ATM Obi looks like he could do with some time coming off the bench & learning before being thrust into the starting lineup.

I don't think it becomes a dilemma until that starts to change & Obi is playing so well that he needs to start starting to take the next step in his development. If we get to that point & Julius is still playing like an allstar; then it'll be time to gauge Magic Randle's trade value.

yeah but w/ a player like Haliburton already looking like the real deal, who filled a need at PG, and was called a perfect fit next to RJ by Mike Schmitz), it makes the Obi decision look worse

part of why Obi was drafted so high/ranked high as a prospect was due to his perceived NBA readiness. Dude's gonna be 23 pretty soon. they didn't draft him to play it slow w/ his development

:dontknow: what are you gunna do about it now? I'm biased against 4s who can't defend on the perimeter or protect the rim well, so Obi wouldn't have been my pick...I'd probably have just picked Deni after the Bulls snagged PatWill...but that's neither here nor there. We have Toppin now & so far he's shown somethings that have me more encouraged with the pick than I was at first...but he's going to need some time IMO.

Maybe Obi comes back & goes nuclear offensively while looking like Al Horford 2.0 defensively; in which case the rest of my post is moo...but what we've seen so far is a kid who's still figuring things out & has some things to work on. So give him the time to become the best player he can grow into and let him learn behind Julius until he forces the issue. If/when he does, then hopefully Julius has himself a nice little trade market.

And I don't care about his age, he's still only been a big for a few years. Buddy was my height not that long ago. It's not like he's "maxed out" because he's been polishing his game in this body since he was a freshman in HS. The kid is still very much a work in progress.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#168 » by WargamesX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:48 am

Also I like Halliburton. I wrote a ton of post on this forum about him months before the draft. He fits perfectly on the kings because he can always be paired with an offensively minded guard like Fox or Hield and focus on distributing and shooting when open. If he came here he would struggle with our crap spacing and being asked to carry to much offensive load. He would be nice next to RJ, if RJ shot is going down.

On the low a guard like Donte D on the Bucks would fit just as well here as Halliburton would.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#169 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:12 am

Maybe even better. A guy's game isn't unlocked just because a guy dpesn't shoot often and passes to him. A guy is unlocked when his teammate's games allow him to mamimise his abilities.

Ej would look great with an opposite wing that people have to cover, a break down point and a 5 that can outlet to start the break.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#170 » by FreeSpiritNY » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:55 am

Listen I am just as mad that we drafted Obi when we could have gotten haliburton he was the one I wanted. Its in the draft thread and many others. ...BUT obi is not a bad player. Nobody knew randel would take off like this. Also It doesn't hurt to have good players on your bench. Would it have made more sense to get a player everyone thought would be pretty good and fill out need. YES! But we also got IQ who I was completely wrong about. There is no way we would have drafted IQ and HALI. Listen if randel can keep it up and we got Obi for 4 years and obi becomes who he should be then we are just filling out bench out with good players for cheap. This is a good thing.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#171 » by knickstape4ever » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:28 am

cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:

:dontknow: what are you gunna do about it now? I'm biased against 4s who can't defend on the perimeter or protect the rim well, so Obi wouldn't have been my pick...I'd probably have just picked Deni after the Bulls snagged PatWill...but that's neither here nor there. We have Toppin now & so far he's shown somethings that have me more encouraged with the pick than I was at first...but he's going to need some time IMO.

Maybe Obi comes back & goes nuclear offensively while looking like Al Horford 2.0 defensively; in which case the rest of my post is moo...but what we've seen so far is a kid who's still figuring things out & has some things to work on. So give him the time to become the best player he can grow into and let him learn behind Julius until he forces the issue. If/when he does, then hopefully Julius has himself a nice little trade market.

And I don't care about his age, he's still only been a big for a few years. Buddy was my height not that long ago. It's not like he's "maxed out" because he's been polishing his game in this body since he was a freshman in HS. The kid is still very much a work in progress.

Obi wouldn't have been my pick either and I'm not writing him off, just saying that he's the future at PF, so Randle should be expendable. otherwise if they intend to keep Randle, it would have made more sense to take a PG
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#172 » by RHODEY » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:33 am

FreeSpiritNY wrote:Listen I am just as mad that we drafted Obi when we could have gotten haliburton he was the one I wanted. Its in the draft thread and many others. ...BUT obi is not a bad player. Nobody knew randel would take off like this. Also It doesn't hurt to have good players on your bench. Would it have made more sense to get a player everyone thought would be pretty good and fill out need. YES! But we also got IQ who I was completely wrong about. There is no way we would have drafted IQ and HALI. Listen if randel can keep it up and we got Obi for 4 years and obi becomes who he should be then we are just filling out bench out with good players for cheap. This is a good thing.

Right Randle playing himself into an Allstar and creating a logjam for OBI is a "problem" I'd want to have, especially knowing we got Quickley too.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#173 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:03 am

We should trade him asap \thread.
JCS
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#174 » by JCS » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:11 am

You guys are going crazy with the Julius Randle explosion, playing himself into an All Star stuff. He is the same player he was, he always had those stretches where he looked good in NO and LA already. If you can get a first rounder for him you run with it and don't look back
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,236

Post#175 » by Zenzibar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:51 pm

Right now, albeit short sample size, Randle is playing like a 4 year 120m player (see Hayward). If it continues, at some point the Team has to throw the anchor in the water and say we've found our 1st star. Consequently if Randle is an all-star level player this year, we have to keep him and Obi will have to grab minutes at the 5,4 and even some at the 3.

Also the success of the 2020 draft may not be known till year 3 (see Knox) and it not only hinges on Obi but Quickley as well. If we hit a homer in either at bat, it would have been a successful 2020 draft.

Who knows, the question may come down to who's better Haliburton or Quickley?

or

Time will tell.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,085

Post#176 » by Juco24 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Right now, albeit short sample size, Randle is playing like a 4 year 120m player (see Hayward). If it continues, at some point the Team has to throw the anchor in the water and say we've found our 1st star. Consequently if Randle is an all-star level player this year, we have to keep him and Obi will have to grab minutes at the 5,4 and even some at the 3.

Also the success of the 2020 draft may not be known till year 3 (see Knox) and it not only hinges on Obi but Quickley as well. If we hit a homer in either at bat, it would have been a successful 2020 draft.

Who knows, the question may come down to who's better Haliburton or Quickley?

or

Time will tell.

Totally agree. Don't get the thoughts from some that we would've drafted IQ had we went Hali. I seriously doubt that. And to your point.... IQ looks like a steal
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,860

Post#177 » by Dubious Handles » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Ive been saying this since he got to NY, Randle is a beast and needs to be unleashed. Forget about tanking, developing the youths and what not, we have a hall of famer already on the team. He just needs a further bump in usage rate and a team that compliments him (shooters and defenders). No more rookies and projects, MORE VETS! Give him 30 FGA a game and take out your popcorn.
I have almost lost everything in 2020, but Randle is giving me a reason to smile. His game is a true treat to the eyes.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#178 » by WargamesX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:06 pm

Dubious Handles wrote:Ive been saying this since he got to NY, Randle is a beast and needs to be unleashed. Forget about tanking, developing the youths and what not, we have a hall of famer already on the team. He just needs a further bump in usage rate and a team that compliments him (shooters and defenders). No more rookies and projects, MORE VETS! Give him 30 FGA a game and take out your popcorn.
I have almost lost everything in 2020, but Randle is giving me a reason to smile. His game is a true treat to the eyes.

:lol:
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#179 » by WargamesX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:10 pm

JCS wrote:You guys are going crazy with the Julius Randle explosion, playing himself into an All Star stuff. He is the same player he was, he always had those stretches where he looked good in NO and LA already. If you can get a first rounder for him you run with it and don't look back

I am down for this, he just has to keep this stretch going for maybe 5 weeks minimum.

Also honestly teams don’t need PF right now either. Just about everyone has a good PF. The hornets are the only team I could see it working for. Them sending us Zeller and a first, maybe more.

Keep in mind, that is us gifting them a potential playoff run.

There is a decent argument for maybe trading with the Blazers for Trent Jr, a pick and filler if Trent Jr continues to look good as well. Also more competition for the mavs is a good thing
NYF13
Senior
And1: 297

Post#180 » by NYF13 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm

Unbelievable folks... once you claim to have Randle by his neck and throw him out of MSG and now embracing his style of play. The same will go with RJ as well. We have to be a lot more patient and stop humiliating ourselves.

Reduce the number of rants/messages you post and stop overreacting, just makes us weak like we are from a 3rd world country. But I am sure lots of us (posters) are here from some ghetto/projects. Makes sense then!
In short, all I am saying is RJ-Brunson-Grimes-Quickley-Randle are the untouchables moving forward.

Return to New York Knicks