And1: 1,019

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#1281 » by Dewey » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:29 pm

SkyhookinUrMom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
SkyhookinUrMom wrote:Through 4 games, plusminus when on the court. Totals

DLo: -61
Rubio: +1

We aren't about to start letting plusminus rule our thoughts now are we? I get it has a place.

These two have been playing alot together, and then alot with completely different players.

The first two games Dlo hardly played point. There is just nothing to gain from any numbers right now. I can point to a few saying the opposite and I have no desire to because this team is just hashed right now and it's all meaningless. What has there been now, four games for four different sets of players getting starting level minutes and all kinds of strange role changes.

Watching the Clippers game after Rubio went out in the 1st the team totally collapsed, so out of curiosity I went look at the plusminus totals. I only posted an observation I thought was funny, didnt even try to interpret it or conclude nothing. Its only 4 games, certainly theres many other factors impacting those +/- numbers as you point out and one metric cant tell the whole story. Still surprising numbers nonetheless.

Lets see how they look after 10 games.

I've become disapponted and more critical of the current events, but fully agree we need larger sample clips ... statistically, 6-game minimum segments. Nonetheless, when the product sees constant changes, it makes it harder to evaluate.

Anyway, the one thing I feel confident about is the need for Rubio to carry the load at PG ... McL and/or DLo filling in remaining 15 minutes or so. Until DLo proves he is willing to play winning basketball, I don't have a lot of concern about his reaction to playing off the ball. I have not heard one way or the other where he stands, but if he wants shots, I believe he needs to be getting those shots through the offense rather than bring the ball up and chucking. To lift some of the weight, Saunders has to find a way to get Layman and Juancho back in sync like it or not ... right now they are merely muppets with mittens taking up space. If they are unable to figure it out then in the short-term Vanderbilt and McDaniels it is IMO.

Lastly, I appreciate that Rube spoke his peace here early on. He sees the warning signs and knows this has to be nipped in the butt or it will spin out of control. IMO he used his post-game comments to send a much needed message to the team in a very candid/professional way. Nice to know atleast one player will say it like it is rather than blabber with excuses. Getting beat is a part of the game ... losing is not.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#1282 » by Killboard » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Saberestar wrote:As a Suns fan who watched him every game last season I think it's crazy that he is not having a bigger role on this Wolves team.

This team is talented but super young and raw, some of your youngsters need help to understand sets and half court plays. Rubio can balance those problems and make the team better.

He is not in the best physical condition but still has played 13MPG in first halves, and I mention first halves because two of the second halves were blowouts where he didn't play. That would be around 26MPG which could easily get to 28-30MPG if they are bring him in slowly to his physical form.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1283 » by Jedzz » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:05 pm

Dewey wrote:
Lastly, I appreciate that Rube spoke his peace here early on. He sees the warning signs and knows this has to be nipped in the butt or it will spin out of control. IMO he used his post-game comments to send a much needed message to the team in a very candid/professional way.

Was needed, but will probably get traded away now. He would probably welcome it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Post#1284 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:53 pm

I understand the Rubiobos think Ricky should be playing more. Many people see the statistical impact and think it warrants more playing time. His shooting efficiency is at an all-time high. His offensive rating has never been higher. His turnovers are down. But could it be possible that Ricky is better-suited for a smaller role?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1285 » by Jedzz » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:02 pm

Klomp wrote:I understand the Rubiobos think Ricky should be playing more. Many people see the statistical impact and think it warrants more playing time. His shooting efficiency is at an all-time high. His offensive rating has never been higher. His turnovers are down. But could it be possible that Ricky is better-suited for a smaller role?

Could it be possible that Culver/Edwards are better-suited for a smaller role? Any recent drafted frontrunner wizbangs ever think of that?

Give me a Rubio/Dlo/Beasley and I'll beat the Edwards/Culver/Barbosas(whatever the stashed guard's name is) each time this year. They don't stand a chance, no matter what supertalents they supposedly have.

I'm so sick of this roster construction problem and the hot takes I've heard since the draft I'm just gonna wait till next year to watch the Wolves again.

Happy New Year Klomp! (all)
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#1286 » by Heimdal » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:59 am

Klomp wrote:I understand the Rubiobos think Ricky should be playing more. Many people see the statistical impact and think it warrants more playing time. His shooting efficiency is at an all-time high. His offensive rating has never been higher. His turnovers are down. But could it be possible that Ricky is better-suited for a smaller role?

# Option 1
You do like the Suns, build the team around your star (Booker-Towns), Rubio and depth (Ayrton/Bridges-Russell/Beasley, etc).
Instill an effort culture.
Demand defense at all costs. Have at least one defensive stopper (Javon Carter-RHJ)
Build chemistry. Build a CORE.
Bring veterans with playoff experience. Players who know how it's done and what it takes. Phoenix added Rubio, Baynes, Kaminsky and Saric (on paper, terrible moves, graded F by experts).
This plan was laid out by the Suns' GM before the season and it happened exactly as explained (minus the 25 games suspension for Ayrton). They went from being a total disaster, an embarrasment for more than a decade to being the main attraction in the bubble. Such an attraction that Chris Paul decided he wanted to play for them. Now, they are 4-1 and looking like a top 4 team in the West. From 19 wins to a possible 4th seed in 2 seasons.
Once you're looking up and have "used" Rubio, you can:
###########Option 1A trade him and let another PG inherit the position with the franchise moving in the right direction.
###########Option 1B keep Rubio and start thinking about extending his contract with a home discount.

# Option 2
Trade for Rubio but then decide it's best to give him a bench role, limit his authority on teammates, and basically minimize his impact. All that, while fully paying his 17M.
Declare "solid (defense) is enough". First time I ever listen to a coach declaring a certain level of defense is enough.
Waive a veteran defender with playoff experience because you are allergic to defense.
Create a roster of all-offense, no defense players with no size. What's the franchise plan? Nobody knows.
Basically let the inmates (rookies and high-volume shooters) run the asylum, and give the green light to selfish play and laziness.

We are 2-2 which was the best possible outcome no matter what, but you can see this team will crash hard (for the umpteenth time) if Saunders doesn't take command and build around smart play, ball movement, and solid defense. You don't get that by giving Rubio a smaller role. I know, I know, I'm a Rubiobo, whatever...
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#1287 » by Dual » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:55 am

That's the Klomp I remember from the old days :lol:
Minutes are fine, the usage is what has to change to get the best not only from Ricky but for the team.
But ey, Ricky is just a role player, not a starter in his prime.
What this team needs is more selfish players that can't defend with the right age :nod:
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#1288 » by PharmD » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:23 pm

Jedzz wrote:

We aren't about to start letting plusminus rule our thoughts now are we? I get it has a place.

These two have been playing alot together, and then alot with completely different players.

The first two games Dlo hardly played point. There is just nothing to gain from any numbers right now. I can point to a few saying the opposite and I have no desire to because this team is just hashed right now and it's all meaningless. What has there been now, four games for four different sets of players getting starting level minutes and all kinds of strange role changes.

The numbers are just confirming what we're seeing; the team looks decent when Rubio is in, and D'Angelo is playing like dog **** right now.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#1289 » by LesGrossman » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:43 pm

Honestly i think Ricky has sacrificed in the past, hoping for development, and when it was finally there, he got traded for ... Jeff Teague. Sorry, and all the best. Now he comes back in his prime, he would be an impact player on literally every team in this league, from Lakers to Raptors, but what he gets is to play behind DLo in one of the worst franchises strength wise. Poor coaching, selfishness and disrespect in a year he cannot afford to waste imho. I think its in both sides' best interest to force a trade soon (because i have little faith into things turning around during this season).
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1290 » by urinesane » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:16 pm

LesGrossman wrote:Honestly i think Ricky has sacrificed in the past, hoping for development, and when it was finally there, he got traded for ... Jeff Teague. Sorry, and all the best. Now he comes back in his prime, he would be an impact player on literally every team in this league, from Lakers to Raptors, but what he gets is to play behind DLo in one of the worst franchises strength wise. Poor coaching, selfishness and disrespect in a year he cannot afford to waste imho. I think its in both sides' best interest to force a trade soon (because i have little faith into things turning around during this season).

It's been 4 games. Pump the breaks people.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#1291 » by LesGrossman » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:04 pm

urinesane wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Honestly i think Ricky has sacrificed in the past, hoping for development, and when it was finally there, he got traded for ... Jeff Teague. Sorry, and all the best. Now he comes back in his prime, he would be an impact player on literally every team in this league, from Lakers to Raptors, but what he gets is to play behind DLo in one of the worst franchises strength wise. Poor coaching, selfishness and disrespect in a year he cannot afford to waste imho. I think its in both sides' best interest to force a trade soon (because i have little faith into things turning around during this season).

Its not about the 4 games, its about congestion and preference on the PG position, and an alarming lack or absence of coaching. Unless D'Angelo injures himself this isnt going anywhere and i dont need 40 games to see it*. Its not only because i'm obviously a Ricky bandwagoner / stan but also because this is another wasted year of KAT, and how many more will he accept before demanding a trade because theres no improvement?

*another option would be replacing the coaching staff early in the season. Also quite unlikely scenario.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1292 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:29 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Lastly, I appreciate that Rube spoke his peace here early on. He sees the warning signs and knows this has to be nipped in the butt or it will spin out of control. IMO he used his post-game comments to send a much needed message to the team in a very candid/professional way.

Was needed, but will probably get traded away now. He would probably welcome it.

Jedzz the term is nipped in the bud. I don't think you want to nip anybody in the butt. :o :lol:
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1293 » by urinesane » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:45 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
urinesane wrote:

Its not about the 4 games, its about congestion and preference on the PG position, and an alarming lack or absence of coaching. Unless D'Angelo injures himself this isnt going anywhere and i dont need 40 games to see it*. Its not only because i'm obviously a Ricky bandwagoner / stan but also because this is another wasted year of KAT, and how many more will he accept before demanding a trade because theres no improvement?

*another option would be replacing the coaching staff early in the season. Also quite unlikely scenario.

It's been 4 games, nothing is set in stone.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#1294 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:57 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Jedzz the term is nipped in the bud. I don't think you want to nip anybody in the butt. :o
To each their own lol
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1295 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:42 am

PharmD wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

The numbers are just confirming what we're seeing; the team looks decent when Rubio is in, and D'Angelo is playing like dog **** right now.
Well that's just not looking deep enough for me and plus/minus never has been for me. What's causing it? That I've spoken on quite a bit already.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1296 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:44 am

Dewey wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Jedzz the term is nipped in the bud. I don't think you want to nip anybody in the butt. :o
To each their own lol

I'm not so literal or observant. I generally understand what people are getting at and hope others can do the same for me when I mistype things. Which means I also can miss the fun mistakes.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1297 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:00 am

LesGrossman wrote:
urinesane wrote:

Les G. I think you are sort of seeing the correct problem. I agree with your thoughts on Ricky's prior stint and return to this now. But you are also focusing only on DLo as causing problems for Ricky here. I don't think you are noticing how much Edwards is, how much Culver has and how much both of those two being allowed to lead the offense just as much as anyone else is the actual problem. It is the PG role congestion. I don't care what position they want to say edwards and culver are filling, they are allowing them way too much control on the offense for a team with Rubio, Dlo, and now even JMac on the floor with them. It's alarming to me how often I'm seeing JMac, Rubio, Dlo, standing out at the 3 pt line with young ignorant players making decisions instead. I'm not trying to discourage the futures of Edwards/Culver. But they don't have the experience or readiness as now three other points do for this team so they shouldn't be in those roles at all right now.

We all knew Dlo could play some offball as part of his duties but it shouldn't be his main minutes. Definately not for Rubio or JMac much either. Both Rubio and JMac can hit 3s and I'm glad I can say they both can now. But it simply isnt' the best use for these guys. The offseason was a total wreck of choices. Many of us hoped to see more moves to correct it. But I think Rosas thought it would be fine to take his time and wait for trade deadlines. It's not fine, and there are now 5 players with the idea they can lead onball for possessions. I know people were saynig this summer that they thought the team needed more ball handlers. That's where post love for guys like LaMello was coming from I think. I didn't really want even one more given how much Towns needs to be involved and with what Dlo/Jmac could have done and they still had Culver developing. But for certain they didnt' need to logjam 5 of them. If the gm and coaches believe this is a good thing, then they are working towards their exit faster than we wanted to see happen. The Choice to bring in Rubio should have sent other out. I don't think Dlo alone with him would have been a significant problem. It's the shear number now playing together. It's not 1-3-1. There isn't One gameIQ point with three Wings and a center. It's now typically two points, two more players that want to be points, and a center. And when Reid is off court it's pretty much 4 points vs 5 opponents. Maybe Vando can help there as he progresses.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#1298 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:08 am

Jedzz wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
urinesane wrote:

Les G. I think you are sort of seeing the correct problem. I agree with your thoughts on Ricky's prior stint and return to this now. But you are also focusing only on DLo as causing problems for Ricky here. I don't think you are noticing how much Edwards is, how much Culver has and how much both of those two being allowed to lead the offense just as much as anyone else is the actual problem. It is the PG role congestion. I don't care what position they want to say edwards and culver are filling, they are allowing them way too much control on the offense for a team with Rubio, Dlo, and now even JMac on the floor with them. It's alarming to me how often I'm seeing JMac, Rubio, Dlo, standing out at the 3 pt line with young ignorant players making decisions instead. I'm not trying to discourage the futures of Edwards/Culver. But they don't have the experience or readiness as now three other points do for this team so they shouldn't be in those roles at all right now.

We all knew Dlo could play some offball as part of his duties but it shouldn't be his main minutes. Definately not for Rubio or JMac much either. Both Rubio and JMac can hit 3s and I'm glad I can say they both can now. But it simply isnt' the best use for these guys. The offseason was a total wreck of choices. Many of us hoped to see more moves to correct it. But I think Rosas thought it would be fine to take his time and wait for trade deadlines. It's not fine, and there are now 5 players with the idea they can lead onball for possessions. I know people were saynig this summer that they thought the team needed more ball handlers. That's where post love for guys like LaMello was coming from I think. I didn't really want even one more given how much Towns needs to be involved and with what Dlo/Jmac could have done and they still had Culver developing. But for certain they didnt' need to logjam 5 of them. If the gm and coaches believe this is a good thing, then they are working towards their exit faster than we wanted to see happen. The Choice to bring in Rubio should have sent other out. I don't think Dlo alone with him would have been a significant problem. It's the shear number now playing together. It's not 1-3-1. There isn't One gameIQ point with three Wings and a center. It's now typically two points, two more players that want to be points, and a center. And when Reid is off court it's pretty much 4 points vs 5 opponents. Maybe Vando can help there as he progresses.

Main issue isnt even DLo, its the coaching. We've seen it before and the time when we all thought "hey we have a few years, they are so young" is simply over. Guys enter their prime and cant afford to play on a garbage offense and garbage defense without any improvement from game to game. I cant see any identity in this team. What does it stand for? Run? Focus on D? Ball movement? Superior iso players? Its like everyone can do what the hell they want and as the ball happens to be in DLo's hands most of the time he does what he THINKS he is best at - chuck away. But that is more the coaches' fault than his in my philosophy. Those guys are like little children, they need boundaries. When DLo goes to "chuck early in the clock" mode bench him. Immediately, so theres a teaching moment. Just that it doesnt happen, its like he has perpetual green light.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1299 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:03 am

LesGrossman wrote:Main issue isnt even DLo, its the coaching. We've seen it before and the time when we all thought "hey we have a few years, they are so young" is simply over. Guys enter their prime and cant afford to play on a garbage offense and garbage defense without any improvement from game to game. I cant see any identity in this team. What does it stand for? Run? Focus on D? Ball movement? Superior iso players? Its like everyone can do what the hell they want and as the ball happens to be in DLo's hands most of the time he does what he THINKS he is best at - chuck away. But that is more the coaches' fault than his in my philosophy. Those guys are like little children, they need boundaries. When DLo goes to "chuck early in the clock" mode bench him. Immediately, so theres a teaching moment. Just that it doesnt happen, its like he has perpetual green light.

I see I'm not going to get through to you. You start off saying main issue isn't even DLO, but you again circle back to statements in this saying exactly that it is with "as the ball happens to be in DLo's hands most of the time he does what he THINKS he is best at - chuck away. "

The rest of your post is good, right on point even. But you are blaming DLO. The Ball simply isn't in Dlo's hands most often. So you are freaking out over just him and it's incorrect. What I think you should be seeing is Edwards doing what you are saying just as much if not more, Culver occasionally doing it too. Dlo's touches are so far down from what he's used to, remember he's only 24, that when he gets the ball yes he's shooting it. His way of playing is totally removed right now and there is so much competition for touching the ball it's just a farce.

The rest of your thought is right. It's on the coaches for creating this scenario and sticking with it for repeat games. It's on the GM for putting the roster in this scenario. There really is no point picking on one player like DLo and saying he's causing this in any way.

I posted about this right after the Rubio signing. This was a left field choice to do so. He's a different kind of PG than both Dlo could have/would have been running the show here, and Rubio is also different than say JMac who is also different from Dlo. So the choice to add Rubio late right before this season seemed like an unplanned event that might not fit with all their previous roster and gameplan concepts. However, they could still make that work to their advantage by allowing the different players lead at different times in their own way with different players that fit them better. Dlo and JMac could both play off with Rubio running point. Other times Dlo could play point without Rubio on the floor and with different players. The same for JMac in a 3rd PG role when ever minutes from him were ever needed. Probably shouldn't have needed him much yet if things were handled differently. But this wasn't the way they decided to use everyone.

The actual way things have progressed, and it started right in preseason, was to allow Culver and Edwards to operate as the point as much as possible.

Yes this sucks and is a waste of Rubio's prime play right now. Totally. It's ridiculous. But it's also a waste and total destruction to what DLo could have done here if Rubio/Edwards were never added and Culver wasn't asked to again get involved with point duties this year. Just like it's a total joke to have kept JMac here after the Rubio and Edwards offseason choices. All these guys being played together sucks for all of them. The thing is they didn't have to make it worse by adding Edwards/Culver to any leading offense roles.

You can't fix this by simply removing Dlo is my point for you. Edwards and Culver will just step up and fill those minutes doing what they have already, the exact same. Neither of them will make better choices as points and neither will ultimately shoot better this season and they really haven't yet in this small sample. They still will see themselves as coaches have apparently told them, the future of the role, even with Rubio and Jmac around. JMac knows. If Jmac even gets a chance to walk it up he basically hands off to Edwards right now if he's out there and goes stand in the corner. He wouldn't do this if the coaches haven't told him to and Edwards wasn't there standing beyond the key and arc waiting for it. You don't see Dlo doing that to JMac or Rubio.

We saw it work just fine without Rubio, Edwards, Culver tring to be points here last spring when Dlo first arrived. He had three wings waiting for his decision with the ball. Same when JMac was running things in relief for a short while. 1-3-1. Sometimes Dlo created early gravity with shots, and later possesions he used that prior gravity to draw defenses out to him and fed others. It worked fine, he can handle the role fine. But now when Dlo walks it up he's got one PG standing in a corner left, he's got Edwards in his face asking for the ball, and or Beasley is off cutting somewhere acting like a SF because nobody else will. It's really just a broken roster and bad coaching going on related more toward trying to sell players right now than play games.
Charly
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#1300 » by Charly » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:14 am

Waiting for Rubio's trade...
What happens in this team is ridiculous.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves