G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

Re: 2020-2021 SPURS SEASON NEWS 

Post#41 » by G R E Y » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Phreak50 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:YYYYEAAAASSSS!!! PHEW! Welcome back, Derrick!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:rockon:

$50M in cap space.

Very curious to see who you guys think we should target?

Well the obvious need is at both big positions. We're sort of a patch work right now of vets that shouldn't be starting and young guys who don't do enough to justify starting roles. Rudy can still create his own shot from multiple spots but is slower on D than we need; LMA shoots more3s but hasn't shown much else so far this season. I've been really hard on him especially since we played so well without him in the bubble and he looked like he needed to up his GAF level in pre-season; Trey plays too timidly too often; Luka is still a project whose mental/confidence/consistency/ needs developing; Jakob is a strong D stalwart but his O game is limited because of the non-3, poor FT factors even if we use him more on that end.

Besides a trade where we'd be able to take on salary (have to think about who we could target), I'd say we'd have to target the RFA market: some combination of John Collins/Lauri Markanen and Jarrett Allen would fit our team well in terms of youth, and style of play. Allen doesn't hit 3s either but with his rim finishing and protection are intriguing. On the one hand, he's from Texas; on the other, he's playing on a team that's looking like a contender.

About Collins / Lauri, does signing them mean we give up on Luka? I hope not, so that's why I think we go the C route in who we pursue. Then again, if you can land either one of them, it's kind of a no-brainer and deal with a Luka on a rookie contract overlap. Trey would also have to show something more akin to what we saw when LMA was out, not what he showed in pre-season in order for us to re-sign him. I appreciate the expressions of wanting to be with us, but it's about who steps up most consistently.

p.s. I watched highlights of Milutinov's recent game where he put up 17/14. Solid runner, rim protector, rebounder, and great on the P&R. Not a 3 shooter either. I wonder if we'll ever make anything of this draft pick.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#42 » by G R E Y » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:18 am

OK! Sounds promising!
Read on Twitter

He's also doing pre-game shoot arounds now so he may return sooner than expected!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#43 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:29 am

YESSS!!! The new year looks more promising already!
Read on Twitter

p.s. Here's a reminder of what we're getting with Derrick back:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#44 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:23 am

Well ****:
Read on Twitter

Spurs said he injured it in the second Q but then he played the rest of the game. Doesn't sound like it's something he can't play around but needs some healing.

That it's the same toe he just came back from is a bit concerning. All his injuries have been foot related. Maybe some extra calcium or something. Weird. Jesus.

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Looks like top of his foot hitting the floor on his way down. I wonder if he has one of those toe configurations where the second one is longer that the big toe? Is there some sort of protective sleeve they can put on it?

Hopefully he comes back sooner than later.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#45 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:34 am

Sounds good!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#46 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#47 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:53 pm

YESSS!!!!!!!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#48 » by G R E Y » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:16 pm

GOAT :clap: :clap: :clap:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#49 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:17 am

Happiest of Birthdays to Pop!

:lol:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#50 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 4, 2021 12:56 am

Ok, sounds good:
Read on Twitter

Well damn:
Read on Twitter

The big man hip parade...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#51 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:06 pm

This has been known for a while. More details are emerging now. Great to hear that the Holt holdings are not being touched and the team is assured of staying put:

Read on Twitter

CVC Capital Partners of Luxembourg is seeking to purchase a limited partnership stake from one of the team’s existing minority owners, Sportico reported Friday.

When news broke last spring that a sale of a small minority stake in the team was in the works, Spurs Sports & Entertainment Chairman Peter J. Holt said the move would not affect the future of the franchise.

“As an ownership group, we remain 100 percent committed to the city of San Antonio,” Holt said in April. “Every day we celebrate the amazing relationship that exists between our community, our fans and our Spurs. San Antonio is home and will remain home.”

CVC is negotiating to buy about a 15 percent interest, according to the Financial Times, which first reported on talks between the Spurs and the firm....

The Spurs rank in the top half of NBA team values. Forbes valued the team a year ago at $1.8 billion, placing it 14th among the NBA’s 30 teams. Sportico valued the team at just over $2 billion.

A 15 percent stake in the team would cost $270 million to about $308 million based on those valuations.

https://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/Report-Luxembourg-firm-in-talks-to-buy-minority-15928161.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#52 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter

After Quinn played that 4TH Q versus the Hawks and stunk it up fouling out in 10 minutes, he was identified and isolated as having had some Covid contact tracing. I wonder if he's the one who is at the center of it? If so, what a bad week for him. Unfortunate, and hopefully we're good for all the other upcoming games.

Read on Twitter

And of course, NOBODY BREATHE ANYWHERE NEAR POP!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#53 » by G R E Y » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 pm

**** hell.
Read on Twitter

I'm assuming Quinn is one of the four players because he was first to be put into health and safety protocols after the Hawks game.

Q played alongside Devin, Lonnie, Rudy, and Drew to start the 4TH Q. Then Trey subbed in for Devin, and Keita subbed in for Rudy, and in the last two minutes when Q fouled out, Keldon subbed in for him.

I don't think Drew would be affected because he just had Covid so he most likely has the antibodies for it. So that leaves Devin who was in for just over the first three minutes; Rudy who was in for almost the first four minutes; Lonnie who played the whole quarter; Trey and Keita who played the final eight minutes or so; and Keldon who played the last two minutes.

And / or whoever Quinn sat or stood next to in the huddle... ****...

Sure, ok, perspective:
Read on Twitter

Soooooo, hard not to blame someone. Irrational, I know. But since Quinn played the 4TH Q vs. the Hornets:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That's all it takes. Someone being slightly careless or less vigilant. And now the whole team AND another is affected with a cluster ****.

Scary that after Quinn was isolated we tested negative to play versus the Hornets yet now there are FOUR Spurs players who tested positive.

I wonder if once a team does it's own due diligence and finds a player has been negligent about their personal responsibilities whether that player is held to account in some way.

Protect Pop at all costs.

I hope everyone is ok relative to the situation...

p.s. And of course fewer games now means we will have more games to make up later with fewer rest days. Several other teams do as well, that's the nature of what we're dealing with this season, but it just goes to show the extent of the trickle effects of not being absolutely diligent. All it takes is ONE person and ONE slip up and here we bloody are...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#54 » by G R E Y » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:05 pm

WAIT. WHAT'S THIS??! SO THE LEAGUE POTENTIALLY PUT US IN THIS SITUATION??!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

UNACCEPTABLE. THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED UP ON. WHAT THE ****!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#55 » by G R E Y » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:23 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#56 » by imagump1313 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:00 am

Didn't Walker just sit out a couple games with a soo called "Stomach Ailment"?

I don't think anyone is really being safe...
Spurs have no reason to be pointing fingers at anyone else.

As far as protecting Pop or anyone else. Pop pulls his mask down 50 times a game to yell at whomever. He might as well not wear it at all because its not protecting him at all if he is doing that.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#57 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:32 am

imagump1313 wrote:Didn't Walker just sit out a couple games with a soo called "Stomach Ailment"?

As far as protecting Pop or anyone else. Pop pulls his mask down 50 times a game to yell at whomever. He might as well not wear it at all because its not protecting him at all if he is doing that.

All coaches do that - and that's after all the testing to make sure the games are cleared to play. It helps that Pop has gotten the first vaccine dose, but of course, he's also the first person most think of in our case.

I think I was just freaked out that it suddenly spread so quickly, and it seems like it's a combination of Quinn and something slipping by between tests. And then it became apparent that it wasn't just a concern from our team, so with both teams playing against one another... here we are.

And it did cross my mind with Lonnie, but he had to pass several tests clearly negative to play. So then I thought he was just sick of his play lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#58 » by imagump1313 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:10 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Didn't Walker just sit out a couple games with a soo called "Stomach Ailment"?

All coaches do that - and that's after all the testing to make sure the games are cleared to play. It helps that Pop has gotten the first vaccine dose, but of course, he's also the first person most think of in our case.

I think I was just freaked out that it suddenly spread so quickly, and it seems like it's a combination of Quinn and something slipping by between tests. And then it became apparent that it wasn't just a concern from our team, so with both teams playing against one another... here we are.

And it did cross my mind with Lonnie, but he had to pass several tests clearly negative to play. So then I thought he was just sick of his play lol

Correct about Walker, but do we know if he is one of them? People just can't take being sick soo casual nowadays. Its a different world. I raised an eyebrow when they said he was out because of his stomach.

We had a woman in our main office come in sick and congested last week and she was insistent it was allergies she wasnt positive at first. Sure enough she tested positive later and our entire main office is shut down now.

When I watch these games I laugh about the NBA claiming to be soo safe. Every night there are more and more people in the arena and most people are too close together or wearing masks around their chin or pulling it down to yell. You're right, its not just Pop, its everyone. its just silly.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#59 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:12 pm

This whole issue with the virus has been a colossal pain in the ass for nearly a year. I dare say most ppl are not practicing social distancing to say the least. How can anyone truly do so. Like in sports, neither b-ball nor football players can practice social distancing safely unless they're sitting on the bench. Then one must consider the underlining health issues some ppl may have. Those with susceptible health issues are liking to gain the virus quicker than those who have a stronger immune system. At this point, how can we better protect ourselves when other ppl are not doing the necessary vigilence to adhere to the circumstances this virus is continuing to wreak upon ppl globally. It's been a difficult task to fight and to put up with. Not just in sports but in regular everyday jobs globally. It's just been crazy and dangerous all at the same time.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#60 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:09 pm

Some sad news from DeMar as his father passed away. I hope he and his family find the strength and support to get through this difficult time. May his father's memory be a blessing. RIP.

Words won’t serve justice to what you meant to me. Never missed a game, a practice, a opportunity to show me what a great father was. You pushed me my whole life to be able to withstand the roughest of times. Never seen you complain nor fold. All I cared about was making you proud. Over the past 3 years I seen you display the ultimate measure of a man fighting to the end. Wish I could tell you thank you one last time. Rest well Big Dog! Love you Dad...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs